Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like an issue with poor budgeting and being unwilling to make necessary tradeoffs. Litigating lawsuits is a lot more expensive than cameras that could prevent the suit in the first place. Body cameras have been generally good at exonerating officers rather than helping the complaining party.

A few possible solutions: proportional pay cuts to directly pay for acquisition costs, raise freeze for multiple years department wide, overtime caps, reduction in unnecessary spending in other areas,  elimination of non-essential personnel, issue a municipal bond to spread the cost.  As a side note, body cams ought to be considered essential equipment nowadays no differently than squad cars, issued firearms, radios, computers etc. and be budgeted for accordingly. Technology starts as a novelty and grows into a necessity, look at smartphones now vs a decade ago.
View Quote
None of those are viable options
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like an issue with poor budgeting and being unwilling to make necessary tradeoffs. Litigating lawsuits is a lot more expensive than cameras that could prevent the suit in the first place. Body cameras have been generally good at exonerating officers rather than helping the complaining party.

A few possible solutions: proportional pay cuts to directly pay for acquisition costs, raise freeze for multiple years department wide, overtime caps, reduction in unnecessary spending in other areas,  elimination of non-essential personnel, issue a municipal bond to spread the cost.  As a side note, body cams ought to be considered essential equipment nowadays no differently than squad cars, issued firearms, radios, computers etc. and be budgeted for accordingly. Technology starts as a novelty and grows into a necessity, look at smartphones now vs a decade ago.
Elimination of non-essential personnel isn't viable.  You heard it here folks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If that was a good shoot then cops have a license to kill and maybe the police abolition groups are right.
View Quote
lets wait for all the facts
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that was a good shoot then cops have a license to kill and maybe the police abolition groups are right.
The facts are that a Muslim man was given a gun and authority on American soil and shot an unarmed white woman in her pajamas.

That’s all I need to know.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Locals can often fill in the blanks on the general attributes of a neighborhood, etc.

I used up all of my MPLS Star-Tribune free articles, so if someone else wants to post snippets, please do.

As she was Australian, international coverage may provide a different perspective.

From Australia:

'I was in shock, shaking': Justine Ruszczyk Damond's fiance recalls the night she died

More

New Zealand weighs in with this:

Justine Ruszczyk Damond shooting: 'Because his name is Mohamed it's different'

"When Noor was charged last year, the Somali-American Police Officers Association said: "We believe these charges are baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

Yep.
View Quote
Actually, his name is Mohammed Mohammed. Fuck be upon them
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never jacked anyone up I caught pissing behind a dumpster. Just make sure they weren't ripping off a business, or too fucked up to drive.
Busting someone not hurting anyone taking a piss at night is a chickenshit move. Pis sing in the middle of the street in broad daylight is a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do cops hassle people they catch doing the same thing?

What's the cut-off for who is allowed to piss in public?100k a year?Male and female?
I never jacked anyone up I caught pissing behind a dumpster. Just make sure they weren't ripping off a business, or too fucked up to drive.
Busting someone not hurting anyone taking a piss at night is a chickenshit move. Pis sing in the middle of the street in broad daylight is a different story.
Pee thread.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What facts do you want to hear?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I only read the first page, so maybe this was already covered, but why does it matter that the officer is Somali?  Beyond the general hatred of immigrants and especially black ones, how is this relevant?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I only read the first page, so maybe this was already covered, but why does it matter that the officer is Somali?  Beyond the general hatred of immigrants and especially black ones, how is this relevant?
View Quote
Nothing,except for the possibility of an Affirmative Action hire.

Some,myself included,made jokes about him enforcing sharia law,but I've only seen one poster that looks a little racist.

White Christian cops have fucked up in the past as well-race and color isn't the only reason........
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some,myself included,made jokes about him enforcing sharia law,but I've only seen one poster that looks a little racist.

White Christian cops have fucked up in the past as well-race and color isn't the only reason........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTHKTX has been pretty clear that his beliefs are rooted in religion, not race. Clear enough that it’s pretty annoying at this point. We heard him. That’s not what the trial is about.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because their culture is incompatible with ours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accurate & to the point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't disagree, but I think the bigger problem is that whenever someone is hired with an eye towards 'diversity' it rarely ends well. And that's what this guy was; a diversity hire and PR stunt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't disagree, but I think the bigger problem is that whenever someone is hired with an eye towards 'diversity' it rarely ends well. And that's what this guy was; a diversity hire and PR stunt.
View Quote
True. The bigger issue is still the people that hired him, failed to properly train him, failed to realize his potential failures while in FTO/probation period, then stick him with someone with little more experience than himself in a vehicle.

Starting out with a totally different mindset towards life didn’t help anybody here, though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

True. The bigger issue is still the people that hired him, failed to properly train him, failed to realize his potential failures while in FTO/probation period, then stick him with someone with little more experience than himself in a vehicle.

Starting out with a totally different mindset towards life didn’t help anybody here, though.
View Quote
I didn't see that as a problem, in the context of what happened. If he had a history of bad behavior towards women or female officers, it would be one thing. I think he was hire for diversity, the like you said; shoved into a patrol car with another rookie and no adult supervision to break the bad habits they formed (like never turning on their bodycams) and they straight up panicked and shoot at a shadow. The loud noise, banging was a bullshit cover story cooked up by cops who responded and suggested to Noor and his partner, who grabbed and ran with it as a defense. She never touched that fucking car.

Honestly I think some of the cops who responded should have been charged, including the partner and SGT on scene. The SGT on scene asks him something and gets 'I don't know' as a response. Then she turns her cam off and when it comes back on, Noors partner says he heard a loud noise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry your girl lost

P.S. What solar system do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I didn't see that as a problem, in the context of what happened. If he had a history of bad behavior towards women or female officers, it would be one thing. I think he was hire for diversity, the like you said; shoved into a patrol car with another rookie and no adult supervision to break the bad habits they formed (like never turning on their bodycams) and they straight up panicked and shoot at a shadow. The loud noise, banging was a bullshit cover story cooked up by cops who responded and suggested to Noor and his partner, who grabbed and ran with it as a defense. She never touched that fucking car.

Honestly I think some of the cops who responded should have been charged, including the partner and SGT on scene. The SGT on scene asks him something and gets 'I don't know' as a response. Then she turns her cam off and when it comes back on, Noors partner says he heard a loud noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protecting their own on this one lost me just a little more on the I respect the police scale.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Protecting their own on this one lost me just a little more on the I respect the police scale.
View Quote
Yeah well, for every person like that SGT, there's plenty more out there like the State Trooper in the Marksville shooting who was a stand up guy and immediately called foul.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#21]
So this guys partner was had his window down and talking with the Vic. The. Mohammed decides to pull out his gun, and shoot passed the noggin of his partner from the passenger seat?  Holy fuck. Dude is a murderer. Only way I see that being g a good shoot is if they were arguing and lady pulled out a weapon. Which didn't happen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Affirmative action hire.
View Quote
he worked for the police dept in the city with the most Somali's in the US so not sure that is it.....

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of the single most heinous acts by a police officer I've heard of.

Fucker needs to hang by his Somali neck.
View Quote
If there are Muslims on the jury, say... Somali muslims, he's going to walk.

It's all going according to plan. Infiltrate, subvert, and dominate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That technology is quickly on its way to police holsters
View Quote
Axon already offers it as an option with their body cams.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So this guys partner was had his window down and talking with the Vic. The. Mohammed decides to pull out his gun, and shoot passed the noggin of his partner from the passenger seat?  Holy fuck. Dude is a murderer. Only way I see that being g a good shoot is if they were arguing and lady pulled out a weapon. Which didn't happen.
View Quote
No. The testimony from the partner said that they were driving, got nervous and pulled the guns, then got startled from the 'bang' and Noor shot past him at the woman. Noor says the 'bang' startled them, the partner tried to draw his gun, but fumbled it and Noor pushed him back in his seat and fired past him to 'stop the threat'. The bodycams have a 30 sec buffer so as soon as you turn them on, the previous 30 seconds before hitting on are still recorded. The partners bodycam is missing 15 seconds out of the 30 buffer, which included the shooting time frame. Noor didn't turn his one until CPR was started. And there was no mention of a 'bang' or loud noise by them on the scene until after the SGT arrived, turned off her cam, and spoke with them privately, then turned her cam back on.

And there were no prints from the woman found on the car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#26]
WTF?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You honestly think that adding a simple sensor that determines the gun is no longer present would cost up to $400 and is "high tech"?  
View Quote
I'll try to find our most recent Axon quote for my dept ref the sensors. I forget the exact amount but it was enough that we don't have the holster sensors.....

Our body cams are set up where if one officer has theirs activated at the scene EVERYONES (that is powered up) starts recording. We also have a 30 second continuous buffer on the front end so when you active the record function it already has 30 seconds of footage. I typically hit record as I get out of my car on a call/contact (which is what our policy dictates) and that gives me 30 seconds of driving up to the scene etc.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll try to find our most recent Axon quote for my dept ref the sensors. I forget the exact amount but it was enough that we don't have the holster sensors.....

Our body cams are set up where if one officer has theirs activated at the scene EVERYONES (that is powered up) starts recording. We also have a 30 second continuous buffer on the front end so when you active the record function it already has 30 seconds of footage. I typically hit record as I get out of my car on a call/contact (which is what our policy dictates) and that gives me 30 seconds of driving up to the scene etc.

J-
View Quote
The Minn PD cams have the 30 second buffer also. But the partners video, one that one incident, is only 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like some mighty fine police work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Minn PD cams have the 30 second buffer also. But the partners video, one that one incident, is only 15 seconds.
View Quote
I'm guessing he didn't have it powered on initially. Our Axon cams take 10-15 seconds once the power is turned on for it to boot and be ready to actually record. Guessing he had it off, flicked the power on and then hit record. Bottom line they broke their dept policy and the one guy un-justifiably killed a women, regardless of his explanation.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The driver of the patrol car had his gun out and headlights turned off going down the alley. Sounds like something going on to me. Should have had his camera going.
View Quote
Quick, stop searching for a possible assault suspect and turn your camera on.

One hand on the wheel, other hand holding the gun?

Didn’t know Minneapolis cops had three arms.

We just need city wide surveillance, clearly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Charged with what?

I thought over charging folks was bad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds like some mighty fine police work.
View Quote
If you want to end up in prison, sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or maybe turn your camera on before you enter the scene? They ran 12 calls that shift prior to the shooting and never touched their cams. That sounds ok to you?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The driver of the patrol car had his gun out and headlights turned off going down the alley. Sounds like something going on to me. Should have had his camera going.

Both of them had hands on the wheel?

Also, is it normal to pull your gun out while crawling through alleys?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
depends on the call
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Or maybe turn your camera on before you enter the scene? They ran 12 calls that shift prior to the shooting and never touched their cams. That sounds ok to you?
View Quote
That depends on the nature of those calls.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially in Minneapolis where they need to hire more police, not incentivise them to leave.

The problem with the Minneapolis police is that for the longest time you have had liberal SJW's at the helm making all the hiring decisions. Fuck, we had the Mayor walk into the protest outside the 4th when the BLM shitbags were going nuts, pick up a sign, and protest the police with them. Fuck Betsy Hodges. Now Minneapolis has this man-child Jacob Frye and as surprising as it sounds, he is actually worse than Hodges.

People like Mr. Noor were hired as CSO's and fast tracked through Skills and the Academy even though they were functionally unable to pass even the easiest parts of the curriculum. He had no business being anywhere near a police car. Truth be told, I am surprised that he was able to hit her with his pistol. Mr. Noor was notorious for hitting the ceiling with shots.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who specifically at any large metropolitan police department is non essential? Which people in the Mpls police dept should we get rid of?

CSI? There are some pretty sweet hotties down there. The blonde one is a real firecracker. Let's fire her. She can come stay with me.

Mayor's bodyguard? That one I might agree with you on.

Investigations? Clerks? The thing you dont understand is that they're pretty lean as it is. Giving SJW liberal assholes carte blanche like what you want, and no matter what you say, they would get to make the decisions, they would cut police.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Especially in Minneapolis where they need to hire more police, not incentivise them to leave.

The problem with the Minneapolis police is that for the longest time you have had liberal SJW's at the helm making all the hiring decisions. Fuck, we had the Mayor walk into the protest outside the 4th when the BLM shitbags were going nuts, pick up a sign, and protest the police with them. Fuck Betsy Hodges. Now Minneapolis has this man-child Jacob Frye and as surprising as it sounds, he is actually worse than Hodges.

People like Mr. Noor were hired as CSO's and fast tracked through Skills and the Academy even though they were functionally unable to pass even the easiest parts of the curriculum. He had no business being anywhere near a police car. Truth be told, I am surprised that he was able to hit her with his pistol. Mr. Noor was notorious for hitting the ceiling with shots.
View Quote
That's what happens when you hire someone because they check a box, not because they're the best available candidate.

We're seeing that in my own agency. The current CLEO has promised his SJW voting base that he will transition the agency demographics  to 50% female officers. He's busy raiding every agency he can for their female officers and pretty much every vacancy as it comes up is being filled by a female. It's a serious officer safety issue for the remaining males. I'm sure that the only white heterosexual males that are hired will be politically connected in some manner. It truly is a return to the good old boy political system we fought so hard to get rid of eight years ago. I'm glad that I am at the end of my career.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
he worked for the police dept in the city with the most Somali's in the US so not sure that is it.....

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Affirmative action hire.

J-
No, it is, but it is also practicality.

None of the rest of us speak Somali and the insular nature of that group of people makes things extraordinarily difficult from a familiarity standpoint.

It is hard enough to just get these people vaccinated, tested for TB, and clean of bedbugs because they are skeptical or outright hostile to anyone who isnt them telling them what is good for them. When I say that they, as a group, are insular i might as well be calling the ocean "moist." Bring in a couple Somali officers and they might be able to have a fucking conversation with them.

Fuck be upon the assbrained Lutherans for bringing the Somalians here in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on the neighborhood of Minneapolis. If you're at Franklin and Chicago youd better have your fucking gun out.

Back on 50th and Xerxes it is an astonishingly nice neighborhood, no you probably shouldn't have your gun in your hand. Just west of tangletown. Crazy amounts of money. It is where the limousine liberals all live. My guess is that Noor was put in that area because the likelihood of him having to deal with anything more than a noise complaint is akin to someone reporting Jesus descending from the heavens for the Superbowl.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Affirmative action hire.

J-
Population demographic doesn’t preclude him being an incompetent person hired based on race/nationality/religion.

It must certainly could be an AA hire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Depends on the neighborhood of Minneapolis. If you're at Franklin and Chicago youd better have your fucking gun out.

Back on 50th and Xerxes it is an astonishingly nice neighborhood, no you probably shouldn't have your gun in your hand. Just west of tangletown. Crazy amounts of money. It is where the limousine liberals all live. My guess is that Noor was put in that area because the likelihood of him having to deal with anything more than a noise complaint is akin to someone reporting Jesus descending from the heavens for the Superbowl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your post above this one explains the need for Noor to better communicate with the Somali populace

Yet he’s patrolling a lily white beat.

Ok.

Eta grammar
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who specifically at any large metropolitan police department is non essential?
View Quote
We had plenty.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What happens when he get promoted to Capt. ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Look at me.  I am the defendant now."
What happens when he get promoted to Capt. ?
By that time the dept will be saturated with 'em.

They might even have a congressman by then...
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Unlike most US police shooting victims, Ruszczyk was a blonde, white woman who lived in a wealthy area. The officer who shot her was not just black but Muslim, a celebrated member of Minneapolis's burgeoning Somali community.

When Noor was charged last year, the Somali-American Police Officers Association said: "We believe these charges are baseless and politically motivated, if not racially motivated as well."

The case has has inflamed Minneapolis's racial, religious and class divides to such a degree that some of Ruszczyk's neighbours fear there will be a violent backlash if Noor is sent to jail.

"Let's not be naive," says Mel Reeves, a veteran activist in Minneapolis' African-American community. "Race is the elephant in the room in this trial."

So there’s a Somali officers association....

If an officer who shot an unarmed woman in her pajamas who CALLED the police is sent to jail, there may be MORE violence.....???????? (By minorities)

And there’s a veteran activist for the Minneapolis African American community....

But race is the elephant in the room because she is white...?

...sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#48]
The jury includes  two Filipino men, an Ethiopian man and a Pakistani woman.

The Paki women will hand the jury.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We had plenty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who specifically at any large metropolitan police department is non essential?
We had plenty.
I want him to name some.

Better yet, specific people, by name.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The jury includes  two Filipino men, an Ethiopian man and a Pakistani woman.

The Paki women will hand the jury.
View Quote
Minnesota liberals love Somalians. I've already bet money that he will walk.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top