Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Think of all of that Russian surplus that's being shot at American troops in Iraq. If we hadn't stuck to FMJ throughout the Cold War, the other side wouldn't have either.

Just a thought.

Would our boys rather be shot at with FMJ or Hollowpoints? If it were me, I'd say hollowpoints because of the armor that our troops are currently sporting. But then again, a good leg shot with an HP is not as nice as an in and out shot , but I'd say there's less likelihood of any sort of penetration of light armor with HP's. It would be a tradoff.

War is so fucked up. Why do we make it even more compicated by making rules about it?!

Of course, there are very important international treaties that ban the use of torture which I believe are very necessary. That's about the only thing I see eye to eye with that McCain feller...

I'm sure the enemy abides by them every time they have our guys?

Wait, you mean they don't?!?!

You mean that in terms of the Geneva conventions, the NAZIs were the best behaved enemies we've fought since they were written?

If it'll serve a valid purpose, I'm all for any means necessary used on EPWs. Maybe if they started treating our prisoners like human beings (or stopped committing other war crimes) I'd feel differently. But the situation is as it is.

Torturing soldiers is wrong. And illegal. Torturing these RIF barbarians is neither.

Torturing insurgents is bad press. Remember how bad the Abu Ghraib scandal was to our image around world? Whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit that the ramifications go far beyond the walls of the prison facility they are conducting their "interrogations". Also, recognizing torture as a valid tool in our toolbox is further demonizing our nation to the insurgency and giving them fodder for propaganda, which further swells their ranks with eager young men looking to appease the will of Allah.

If we torture captured insurgents, and word gets out, a retaliation against ground forces will be probable. Israel has been through this a lot. They capture enemy soldiers, Hezbollah captures some of theirs. It's a copycat game. If we torture their fighters, they will do worse to ours on a wider scale.

It's best to take the high road, even if your enemy does not. If we stoop to their tactics, then how can we say we are any better than them?

[red dawn] BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE![/red dawn]

Honestly, we didn't start this war. We weren't the first to abuse prisoners. Given that being captured by terrorists WILL result in torture and death for American personnel, I fail to see why we should worry about "retaliation".

For us to  torture and execute captured terrorists wouldn't be escalation, it would be reciprocity. Such a move would be acceptable under the applicable treaties the US has signed on and ratified (Cliff's notes: No uniform, No country OR Disrespect for the laws of war= NO protections under said laws of war... its a "any of the above" and the terrs are generally 3 for 3). This would definitely fall outside of the perception of the laws in common use, but it would be legal in terms of the letter of the law.

How much more demonized can we get than the "Great Satan" anyway? Can we be the superduperultraSatan or would that just sound stupid?

If we aren't going to be loved, we might as well be feared Someone wrote that "maybe what it takes is for the consequences of terrorism to be so brutal that Islamic parents beat the shit out of little Achmed the first time he says "Allahu Akbar" a little too enthusiastically"

Why not, it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
dude no way. hollowpoints are evil. when we shoot someone we dont REALLY want to kill them. thats whay we use bullets that are less lethal.

seriously though I assume the penetration of the FMJ is worth loosing the expansion of the HP, in the military.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wish they would design s better shaped FMJ. Something like a SWC would give better results.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever has the best terminal ballistics be it some HP or some heavier ball ammo.

The ban on HP ammo is outdated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can make .50 hole in someone with a solid 700gr 50 cal round, then you should be able to make a ~.40 hole in the same someone with an expanding .224 projectile.

ETA: I think it's stupid that as an LEO, I can shoot an American Citizen with a hollowpoint round in self defense, but a member of our military can't shoot an enemy soldier or combatant, or terrorist with one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted it hurts more, however there is a thing called the Geneva Convention, that if we don't follow by the letter, alot of people are not going to be happy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Without going into the suitability of one type of ammo over another, I'll just say this:

Our soldiers should be supplied with whatever they need to win the war.

If hollowpoints are necessary (or would improve their odds) for a particular mission's success, then by all means, they should have them. Same goes for ball, tracer, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you think our armed forces should use hollowpoint ammunition or not?

Most people think that it is forbidden under international law, and they will reference the geneva convention, but I wonder if many people really know what the "law" or treaty is and can they give a specific reference that bans its use?

Would it even be beneficial for our armed forces to be using hollowpoint ammunition in their current battlefield setting, or are they better suited with their FMJ ammo?

Here's an interesting article I read about it. What are your thoughts?

www.thegunzone.com/hague.html

1) The treaty being referenced bans any weapon or ammunition 'designed or re-designed to cause un-neccicary suffering'.

We did not sign it, but we observe it anyway because it is now 'customary'

2) JHP ammo is good when engaging soft targets, but sucks for penetration and antivehicle use...  So if you're going to load one round to do it all, a FMJ variant is the one to use...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
i think they should use whatever works best
personally i would prefer fmj for rifle for penetration issues, but i would prefer jhp for pistol
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
None of our enemies care about the Geneva Conventions, why should we?

Because it helps us win the war...

If we fought like the enemy, the locals would be killing us like the enemy....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Ballistic tips or bonded bullets

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I voted it hurts more, however there is a thing called the Geneva Convention, that if we don't follow by the letter, alot of people are not going to be happy.

Don't you mean the Hague convention (when refering to expanding projectiles)?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Think of all of that Russian surplus that's being shot at American troops in Iraq. If we hadn't stuck to FMJ throughout the Cold War, the other side wouldn't have either.

Just a thought.

Would our boys rather be shot at with FMJ or Hollowpoints? If it were me, I'd say hollowpoints because of the armor that our troops are currently sporting. But then again, a good leg shot with an HP is not as nice as an in and out shot , but I'd say there's less likelihood of any sort of penetration of light armor with HP's. It would be a tradoff.

War is so fucked up. Why do we make it even more compicated by making rules about it?!

Of course, there are very important international treaties that ban the use of torture which I believe are very necessary. That's about the only thing I see eye to eye with that McCain feller...

You mean that in terms of the Geneva conventions, the NAZIs were the best behaved enemies we've fought since they were written?

If it'll serve a valid purpose, I'm all for any means necessary used on EPWs. Maybe if they started treating our prisoners like human beings (or stopped committing other war crimes) I'd feel differently. But the situation is as it is.

Torturing soldiers is wrong. And illegal. Torturing these RIF barbarians is neither.

Torturing insurgents is bad press. Remember how bad the Abu Ghraib scandal was to our image around world? Whether you agree or disagree, you have to admit that the ramifications go far beyond the walls of the prison facility they are conducting their "interrogations". Also, recognizing torture as a valid tool in our toolbox is further demonizing our nation to the insurgency and giving them fodder for propaganda, which further swells their ranks with eager young men looking to appease the will of Allah.

If we torture captured insurgents, and word gets out, a retaliation against ground forces will be probable. Israel has been through this a lot. They capture enemy soldiers, Hezbollah captures some of theirs. It's a copycat game. If we torture their fighters, they will do worse to ours on a wider scale.

It's best to take the high road, even if your enemy does not. If we stoop to their tactics, then how can we say we are any better than them?

Honestly, we didn't start this war. We weren't the first to abuse prisoners. Given that being captured by terrorists WILL result in torture and death for American personnel, I fail to see why we should worry about "retaliation".

For us to  torture and execute captured terrorists wouldn't be escalation, it would be reciprocity. Such a move would be acceptable under the applicable treaties the US has signed on and ratified (Cliff's notes: No uniform, No country OR Disrespect for the laws of war= NO protections under said laws of war... its a "any of the above" and the terrs are generally 3 for 3). This would definitely fall outside of the perception of the laws in common use, but it would be legal in terms of the letter of the law.

How much more demonized can we get than the "Great Satan" anyway? Can we be the superduperultraSatan or would that just sound stupid?

If we aren't going to be loved, we might as well be feared Someone wrote that "maybe what it takes is for the consequences of terrorism to be so brutal that Islamic parents beat the shit out of little Achmed the first time he says "Allahu Akbar" a little too enthusiastically"

Because it would cause us to LOSE the war...

Because Al Queda's tactics - the same ones you advocate - are causing THEM to lose the war...

Inciting a civillian revolt against your own troops is NOT how you win a COIN campaign...

Inciting a civillian revolt against the evil brutal mean enemy troops IS how you win a COIN campaign....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
None of our enemies care about the Geneva Conventions, why should we?

Because it helps us win the war...

If we fought like the enemy, the locals would be killing us like the enemy....

Plus the USA is center stage of the world on just about everything.  If we screw up on something everyone knows it, and will criticize.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL!!! Rules in WAR
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean the Hague convention (when refering to expanding projectiles)?

I don't know, I've always thought it was the Geneva.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I work with a Marine who was in the 3/1 as a weapons platoon squad leader in Fallujah. We were talking tonight about what they were using and he said when clearing houses they were using jacketed soft points in civilian wrappers. He is not one to brag or embellish stories but I have no first hand knowledge.

He said his combat loadout when working in Fallujah was 4 mags of JSP and 8 mags of m193.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
HP has issues with barriers before flesh , screws up the performance, as i have read..

I like the +P FMJ 9mm ,, almost 450lbs  ME ..

If it were up to me the troops would have penetrator pistol rounds of some kind, better yet exploding 45s..

The Tokarev 7.62x25 has good penetration, in a polymer long frame it would be interesting..

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever puts them down for good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if it works better, use it

efficiency is key

that sums it up pretty well.  i don't know if hp would be more effective or not for the battles we are likely to fight, but if it is we should use it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Not so much HP's and expanding pistol rounds. Like those Winschesters that flatten out
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I said no, but only because I would think the targets they would be up against would be more likely to be lightly armored.

But if they think JHP would be better for some use, more power to them. It is perfectly suitable for a police force I think.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was informed that Airforce ravens use hollow points in thier M9's. Dont know how true it is,but one of those thing that ya hear. Maybe a zoomie can verify this..

No, they get issued M882 and M855 like the rest of us.

They fire 5.56 out of a M9????(M9 is the 9mm beretta)

M855 out of the M16A2 or the M4

M882 out of the M9

They get the same ammunition as the rest of us.

Wrong answer. We carry hollowpoints in our M9's for stateside SF duty. Not sure if the Ravens carry it on overseas missions. I am not a raven, but am Security Forces in CATM. And Air Guard at that. Can't remember who makes it though but I can find out.

That's funny because every base I have been to the SPs have always carried M882 in the M9s.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The U.S. never signed the Hague Convention. We just follow it out of nicety. We could start using hollowpoints tomorrow and all that would change would be the requisition forms and whatnot.

Very good!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#25]
silver HP bullets with cyanide and garlic in the HP cavity if it gives our .mil an advantage
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

Because it would cause us to LOSE the war...

Because Al Queda's tactics - the same ones you advocate - are causing THEM to lose the war...

Inciting a civillian revolt against your own troops is NOT how you win a COIN campaign...

Inciting a civillian revolt against the evil brutal mean enemy troops IS how you win a COIN campaign....

I agree with you Dave. Brutal tactics backfire. It's a fact of history. It further strengthens the resolve of your enemy. Do you really think that you can scare people into submission with burtality? How well did that go for the Nazi's, the Russians, the Romans when they persecuted the early Christian church? They killed one martyr, and 5 more were born. When you are dealing with a martyr situation, brutality only makes the enemy more resolved to win, even if it costs them their very lives.

And I think you also have some serious misconseptions about this war as well...

Honestly, we didn't start this war. We weren't the first to abuse prisoners.

Are you refering to the war in Iraq?... And we didn't start this war how?..... Oh that's right, that septemeber 11 thing... Yeah, wait a minute, wasn't that guy a Saudi Arabian living in Afghanistan?... oh well... they all look alike, so it's the same thing.... Different war buddy... Get your facts straight.

Anyway, we could do a whole thread on that topic, but I started this thread to talk about hollowpoints, not to justify torturing people. Lets try to stay on target.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I can see an advantage in HP ammo for handguns in most situations, not so much for rifles, bar the OTM's, but the OTM's have a HP for reasons other than making a mess.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The correct LOAC answer would be "Hollowpoints are not allowed", but that answer is utter bullshit.

The current enemy is not a flag country, and does not fall under the Hague Convention. Insurgents do not have the protection of the HC. So hollowpoint expanding rounds would be legal, and I would support that decision wholeheartedly.

Against the military of another country they are not allowed.

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

In case you missed it...

Iraq is a largely SECULAR country...

Most of the people on the street don't think the US is the 'Great Satan'...

Unless we start acting like him...

Al Queda tortures prisoners, burns/blows up villages & mosques, and assassinates local leadership over the smallest of issues...

Those actions have caused Al Queda to LOSE the hearts & minds of the local population...

One perticular incedent (A local shiek was assasinated for not allowing an AQ leader to marry his daughter) basically cost them Anbar province (one of their biggest strongholds) because of the local population's reaction to said assasination... Since then, this 'reaction' (which is somewhere between old-west vigilante justice & an Italian vendetta) has spread further, and may well cost AQ the war...

Yeah, we really want that to happen to OUR troops, right?

NOT!

Which is why we play by the rules...

Because whioever is seen as the good guy by the civillian population (and right now, by-and-large that is US) will win the war....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

In case you missed it...

Iraq is a largely SECULAR country...

Most of the people on the street don't think the US is the 'Great Satan'...

Unless we start acting like him...

Al Queda tortures prisoners, burns/blows up villages & mosques, and assassinates local leadership over the smallest of issues...

Those actions have caused Al Queda to LOSE the hearts & minds of the local population...

One perticular incedent (A local shiek was assasinated for not allowing an AQ leader to marry his daughter) basically cost them Anbar province (one of their biggest strongholds) because of the local population's reaction to said assasination... Since then, this 'reaction' (which is somewhere between old-west vigilante justice & an Italian vendetta) has spread further, and may well cost AQ the war...

Yeah, we really want that to happen to OUR troops, right?

NOT!

Which is why we play by the rules...

Because whioever is seen as the good guy by the civillian population (and right now, by-and-large that is US) will win the war....

+1000

Great response.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ETA: I think it's stupid that as an LEO, I can shoot an American Citizen with a hollowpoint round in self defense, but a member of our military can't shoot an enemy soldier or combatant, or terrorist with one.

If it's good enough to kill me it's good enough to kill the rest of the god damned world!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
They should be able to use expanding boolits.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How about this: The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III: "The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions."

The whole intent behind that was to ban "unnecessary suffering".  So, we can destroy a grid square with MLRS, use flame throwers, toe popper land mines, and other such fun things, but hollow points are a no-go?  It's outmoded and dead, but it's specifically in the treaty.  

At this point, the custom of warfare would probably allow hollow points.  But, we'd have to pull out of the Hague treaty or sign a new one.

We never signed the Hague treaty. We just follow it to keep Europe and the UN from bitching endlessly.

Well, bitching endlessly on a different topic anyway.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
fuck no, we use it, they use it and I would rather take ball ammo than get hit with a hollow point.

I do say bring back the flame thrower though.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted: Do you think our armed forces should use hollowpoint ammunition or not?
I prefer standard shaped ammo because that is what the guns are originally designed for. So they are more reliable with them. Hollowpoints aren't going to punch through layers of body armor, heavy clothing, and tissue like a standard shaped round can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#36]
OTM         I want some.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
We use hollowpoints at my base.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I just wish they would design s better shaped FMJ. Something like a SWC would give better results.

They'd have to put some kind of discarding or frangible plastic cap over the nose of the bullet, in order for it to feed reliably in an autoloader.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
use of HP ammo may or may not be relevant in regards to FMJ.

FMJ penetrates helments and or soft armor much better than hp.

most combat troops are using rifles anyway.

most pistols tend to have fewer issues with feeding ball

Most of our enemies are wearing head scarves and no armor.  HP would be an advantage on such soft targets.   It would fix 80% of the problem with the 9mm sidearm if they could use a more potent round.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Use a combo of FMJ and hollowpoint , FMJ-HP-FMJ-HP  and so on. That way you have
the ability to do much more dammage plus go through armor and helmuts etc.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was informed that Airforce ravens use hollow points in thier M9's. Dont know how true it is,but one of those thing that ya hear. Maybe a zoomie can verify this..

No, they get issued M882 and M855 like the rest of us.

They fire 5.56 out of a M9????(M9 is the 9mm beretta)

Sorry my bad.  I was typing faster than I was thinking.  But yes PMO here on base does carry HPs in their 9MM M9s and FMJs in the M16s.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
For rifle/machine gun ammo, we should be using something like a Barnes TSX with a DU penetrater in the base.  It should expand nicely on soft tissue and penetrate body armor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I have always thought that a 70gr bonded core JSP, loaded at 5.56x45 pressure is the way to go.  It would give good expansion, very good hard and soft intermediate barrier penetration, but lil fragmentation though.  However, there is the issue of lead buildup, but that can be remedied by maintenance.  Perhaps allow the jacket to go all the way forward, leaving very little lead exposed, it would be a kinda hybrid JSP/OTM.

Since the basic current 9mm round is the M882, a 124gr FMJ pushed right between standard and +P velocities, I say go COTS.  Purchase any 124gr JHP, +P or not, and use that.  Even the sorry assed Federal HydraShok can be used.  That way it would deplete one ammunition company.  Winchester, Federal, Speer, Hornady, CorBon, etc.  A bonded 124gr JHP would p[robably be the best way, for possible barrier enetation.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Use a combo of FMJ and hollowpoint , FMJ-HP-FMJ-HP  and so on. That way you have

like the fighter plane guns were loaded..

a fine hacksaw cut to the top of the fmj rd about 2mm creates a split as it pens soft armor/clothing, should help some..
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

like the fighter plane guns were loaded..

a fine hacksaw cut to the top of the fmj rd about 2mm creates a split as it pens soft armor/clothing, should help some..

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32.htm

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top