Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The old USGI Olive drab socks we used to get when I was in were great.

The black ones sucked.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually wear ankle socks (the thinnest cotton I can find) and then regular boot socks over them whenever I'm breaking new boots in or going to be rucking a lot
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit. So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?

Your first mistake is buying a pair of Altamas...

Also this
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, also considered changing out your socks halfway through your day and airing your feet out if you can.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My feet sweat alot. I like Under Armour Heatgear Socks for when it is hot. Other than that, Issue Green socks work well.

This. Except that I can't stand the issue socks. They only stay up until they are washed the first time. UA Heatgear stay up all day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the gold old Marine Corps issue green socks made by Jeffries. Just bought another 9 pairs sunday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit. So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?

Also this

Ha, alls I'm saying is if you dont have a pair of Danners on...well you're wrong.  I have the Danner RATs and they are the best thing to happen to my feet while wearing a uniform...ever.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plain white socks. Everything else is just spending money.

I guess so, if you're just sitting in your mom's basement.

Or, you know, if you've been in combat, gone hiking for an extended period of time, or done a few hundred combat patrols. *shrugs* Most guys I worked with simply wore white socks. They absorb more moisture due to not having been dyed.

Honestly the best way to prevent blisters is to condition your feet. Which takes time and means getting blisters and letting calluses form over them.

If you want to talk hard miles on the feet, go to some adventure racing or AT through hikers forums. I'll guarantee there is not going to be one person who advocates white cotton socks.

ETA: This is not to mean the .mil doesn't put hard miles in. No way, no how would I say that.

I do know two adventure racers (multi day races) who advocate NO socks. I forget what kind of shoes they're using. Most of the time, these folks put on enough miles during a race that they lose their toenails. I know one guy who actually had his toenails removed before an Eco Challenge. That's hard core.

I've also seen the results of white cotton socks when it's 8 degrees out. It makes for one Boy scoutsickle. He won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Wigwam Ingenious socks are the best I've ever used.  They absolutely destroy Smartwool, which goes limp and does not stay up.  They have a liner  built-in.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thin pair of polypropylene socks and some decent wool socks.  The layer will help prevent blisters.

This +1
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]

With boots its smart wool for me.  My feet sweat real bad. Regular white cotton socks last about 3 hours before they are a sweaty stinky mess.  The smart wools can go 3 days before I am forced to wash them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Other than that, Issue Green socks work well.

This.  I honestly love the issue socks. Never a blister, cheap enough to replace enmass when they start stretching out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Gentlemen, I have been a long time watcher of the forums here because they crack me up (like the "U laugh, U lose" forum) but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 here.  I spent a little under 6 years (stop loss'd) in the Army with 2 combat tours in Iraq and have since became one of those dirty defense contractors that everyone seems to hate.  But since getting out, I have found a company called CovertThreads (www.covertthreads.com) that was started by a USMC veteran that had seen some pretty rough combat.  The socks might be rather expensive but they are amazing at wicking moisture away and feel as though your feet are "wrapped in clouds".  However, you have to get the right ones for the climate and your boot size (meaning that it depends on how swollen your feet get throughout the day).  I do my best at supporting Veteran owned companies the best I can and even my electrician for my house is a Veteran.  Just a thought....

And it feels good to fianlly post something here.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#14]
White socks. Seriously.

I have tried everything..Wigwams...Fox river...anything else at the PX thats super moisture wicking for only 9.99 etc...Nothing is better than white socks. Especially when you can wear them without getting bitched at for it, lol

If you're changing your socks at least daily you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was in the Army, I wore hot weather boots year around.  In the summer I used military issue brown socks.  For the winter, I wore a thicker cotton sock that had a NSN.

An interesting point, I had NCOs care more about my socks then which boot I wore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know, if you've been in combat, gone hiking for an extended period of time, or done a few hundred combat patrols. *shrugs* Most guys I worked with simply wore white socks. They absorb more moisture due to not having been dyed.

Honestly the best way to prevent blisters is to condition your feet. Which takes time and means getting blisters and letting calluses form over them.

If you want to talk hard miles on the feet, go to some adventure racing or AT through hikers forums. I'll guarantee there is not going to be one person who advocates white cotton socks.

ETA: This is not to mean the .mil doesn't put hard miles in. No way, no how would I say that.

I do know two adventure racers (multi day races) who advocate NO socks. I forget what kind of shoes they're using. Most of the time, these folks put on enough miles during a race that they lose their toenails. I know one guy who actually had his toenails removed before an Eco Challenge. That's hard core.

I've also seen the results of white cotton socks when it's 8 degrees out. It makes for one Boy scoutsickle. He won't make that mistake again.

I covered over 100 miles on the AT last year. My wife did a 5 week hike on it for college credit a few years ago. We both wear white socks. Granted, they're high quality white socks, but they're still white atheletic socks.

*shrugs* different strokes for different folks I guess
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I covered over 100 miles on the AT last year. My wife did a 5 week hike on it for college credit a few years ago. We both wear white socks. Granted, they're high quality white socks, but they're still white atheletic socks.

Cotton white socks are fine until they get wet in cold weather.  The phrase "cotton kills" should be ingrained in anyone who participates in outdoor activities for prolonged periods of time in the cold, especially if unable to get indoors to avoid the elements.  This applies to socks, undergarments, outgarmets, hats, gloves, everything that comes into contact with your body.  Cotton insulates well when dry, but is absolutely worthless when damp from sweat, rain, melted snow, etc.  

You may say different strokes for different folks, but I beg to differ; we are only human.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cotton white socks are fine until they get wet in cold weather.  The phrase "cotton kills" should be ingrained in anyone who participates in outdoor activities for prolonged periods of time in the cold, especially if unable to get indoors to avoid the elements.  This applies to socks, undergarments, outgarmets, hats, gloves, everything that comes into contact with your body.  Cotton insulates well when dry, but is absolutely worthless when damp from sweat, rain, melted snow, etc.  

You may say different strokes for different folks, but I beg to differ; we are only human.

I never said anythign about cotton socks. I said plain white. As in, not dyed. Undyed materials absorb more moisture. They dry out faster. Whether wool or cotton is a matter of what you plan to do. I personally hate wool even in cold weather because my feet feel like they're on fire all the time. Then again, it might have something to do with hating shoes so much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, I have been a long time watcher of the forums here because they crack me up (like the "U laugh, U lose" forum) but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 here.  I spent a little under 6 years (stop loss'd) in the Army with 2 combat tours in Iraq and have since became one of those dirty defense contractors that everyone seems to hate.  But since getting out, I have found a company called CovertThreads (www.covertthreads.com) that was started by a USMC veteran that had seen some pretty rough combat.  The socks might be rather expensive but they are amazing at wicking moisture away and feel as though your feet are "wrapped in clouds".  However, you have to get the right ones for the climate and your boot size (meaning that it depends on how swollen your feet get throughout the day).  I do my best at supporting Veteran owned companies the best I can and even my electrician for my house is a Veteran.  Just a thought....

I never would have thought SOCKS would bring a lurker out from the shadows to post here.  Good to have you in here.  Wont be long before you have 10,000 posts and you'll have to remember it was SOCKS that got it all started for you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Most Px's sell a heavy fox river sock. They are good for cold weather or sore feet. The issue ones aren't bad either. I like the thin underaurmor heqt gear ones for hot weather and office duty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thorlo socks. Those were my winter socks and they were very cushioned.

These are what I use for my boot socks as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also this

Ha, alls I'm saying is if you dont have a pair of Danners on...well you're wrong.  I have the Danner RATs and they are the best thing to happen to my feet while wearing a uniform...ever.

I'm learning from my mistakes.  When these ones are done I will get a different pair for the purpose of long walks with weights and not for daily work.  However I have another 2 pairs of Altamas like these that were bought for me the came from the "Boot Campaign" from a couple of years ago.  Dad ordered them for me and also picked up a copy of Lone Survivor while at an event.  So no matter which way I go I'm gonna have boots to wear for a while and could have an angry wife if I show up magically with a new set of boots and 2 more sitting in the closet that I have never used .
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never would have thought SOCKS would bring a lurker out from the shadows to post here.  Good to have you in here.  Wont be long before you have 10,000 posts and you'll have to remember it was SOCKS that got it all started for you.

Thanks!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/newhere.gif

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
The best socks for military boots are the ones you can change most often.  Cheap, white and new for the win.  When I was in Afghanistan I wore a pair of white socks for two days and threw them away.  It beat washing issue socks in a bucket and hoping half the nastiness was gone.

If you do enough walking your feet will be pretty damn tough, I don't think crazy $$$$$$ sock tech. is going to matter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to wear two pairs of socks. The first pair were as thin and silky/cottony as I could get––-like silky dress socks.  The next were my issued wool socks.  The first layer would let my feet breath a little and keep the wool socks from bunching up when they got soaked (usually with sweat).  Then, I'd change socks about half way through the day.

^ This is the correct answer.

While roadmarching, we would put on a pair of calf length panty hose under our socks...never a blister because it allows your foot to slip on the rubbing spots instead of rub and get a blister.

Yes...i'm serious.

Not the first time I have heard this,  Came from my best friend when he did alot of this when he was with the 82nd.

We had a guy try this in basic training...well, he wore dress socks because they were nice and smooth/silky/slippery...but he didn't wear the normal socks over them.  He was a stumbling, hobbling mess and fell out of the march about halfway through.  Most of the bottom of his feet fell off, they became 1 gigantic blister.  Apparently too much slipping and sliding creates HEAT from the FRICTION and yeah...it was nasty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Smartwool socks are good, but I don't think their quality is where it used to be (for the money they want)... They shut LE/MIL out of their pro program and I don't think they are worth full price.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Man Up! Get yourself a pair of Corcoran Jump Boots, and wear some GI Issue green wool socks, then embrace the suck!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Man Up! Get yourself a pair of Corcoran Jump Boots, and wear some GI Issue green wool socks, then embrace the suck!

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9900/army042.jpg  

I have the feeling you are a masochist
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Wore them the entire time I was in, along wiht Corcoran II's, Jungle Boots and Desert Jungles.  I wore a pair in the first Gulf War, along with woodland BDU's, we didn't get the desert BDU's until the war was over.  Actually, once broken in, they aren't to bad on pavement, but really suck on snow and ice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I either wear issued green cotton socks, WigWam Ultimax merino wool, or no socks.

However, my feet are beat to shit and I don't care about them... as long as they don't fall off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9900/army042.jpg  

I did precisely that for years. F that noise. Now, I move more miles faster and with better gear. I'm older and smarter and I have far more expendable income. Life's too short not to have great fucking socks.

I still dig Corcoran II boots, though...for nostalgia's sake.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Alaska hunter here..

Best Socks Ever
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pack extra socks

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I really like the current green issued socks. They were great while deployed to Kuwait and Iraq.

I tried a few lighter weight socks during the summer over there and they were comfortable but stank and one of the brands seemed to cause or at least promote athlete's foot.

I'm currently wearing them in issued Bates temperate weather boots, and will continue to wear them as soon as my Redwings arrive.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I never said anythign about cotton socks. I said plain white. As in, not dyed. Undyed materials absorb more moisture. They dry out faster. Whether wool or cotton is a matter of what you plan to do. I personally hate wool even in cold weather because my feet feel like they're on fire all the time. Then again, it might have something to do with hating shoes so much.

Ah, my bad.  When people refer to "plain white" or "athletic" socks, I take it as the run of the mill, six-pairs-in-a-plastic-bag Fruit of the Loom or Hanes cotton white socks, usually with grey toes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work, but there are better options widely available.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a pair of Altama boots that I wear daily and want to really start putting the miles on them and I need some good socks to help my feet cause the ones I have are for shit.  So what do you guys wear when it comes to putting miles on your feet with good socks in your boots?

I wore PT socks for most of the time I was in.

I'm guessing some decent athletic socks will do you just fine.

Socks are real hard for me to find that fit well.  I have small feet (thanks Mom),  so if I can find quality socks that fit I'm in.  Figured I would ask the guys in the know

So you say that you have tiny little raptor hands feet?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#38]
smartwool.  They've got a sock that fits every season, every activity, and every kind of foot and boot.  Best there is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's a great place to buy socks.

Big sale, free shipping.

GoBros
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I like Smart Wool the most, but the issued Darn Toughs are pretty good.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Smart wool....and altamas..suck..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And it feels good to finally post something here.  

Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Best socks I have ever worn.  Last a long time also.

Shop around for the best deals.

Army Socks

6 Pairs of Army Socks
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Cheap white socks....one use then throw out...did that in afg...no blisters
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Huge +1 to Fox River

If you're going to do heavy walking then get the liners- they are sliky/smooth/like panty hose.  Whenever I'm going to do a ruck I put a liner on underneath a pair of normal fox rivers and I don't get any blisters.  Granted I've done a couple of rucks in just Fox Rivers and have been fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I only wear fox river socks with boots. They have seen many, many, many miles.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm 30, and have been wearing jungle boots since I was a kid snapping up old USGI Vietnam issue boots in the surplus store.  Even before joining the military, I had some tough ass feet.

I've put thousands, and thousands, and thousands, and thousands of miles on Welco/Ro-search, and Altama jungle and desert boots as a kid, in the military, and now as a civilian adult.

I've worn all kinds of socks as well.  Primarily on long humps nothing more that dress socks under issue black socks.  It worked better than pretty much everything.

Once in Iraq, we were authorized to wear plain white cotton socks.  It was pretty nice.  Don't know if I'd try do do some crazy ass humps with them, but when it's 126 air temp in the shade, and the pavement's cooking (Or, 140 in Kuwait and the sand feels on fire) it's nice not to have that extra insulation, and as a civvie I wear thick ass wool socks year round even if it's 75-80 out.

IMHO one of the GREATEST improvements, is good insoles.  More so than socks, and good boot laces (I.E. gutted paracord) that stay tight, and also stopping to re-tighten the laces.  
Also, as mentioned, conditioning.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#48]
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacking-socks.html

Read this. Because there is no one right answer. It will come down to what works for you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I liked these www.covertthreads.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#50]
smartwools and superfeet insoles.

I just did a 15 miler w/ 45 lb ruck today and my feet are fine. No blisters. My shoulders on the other hand....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top