BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you could do it all over again, would you pick the same job?

No. I would have gone USMC rather than USN.

Not a slam against my beloved Navy, but I think I would have had more fun...

Agree.  I seriously thought about it.  I regret not choosing the Corps.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would have picked armor first instead of infantry, or at least tried for a posting at a mech unit instead of light.  Would have had more of a chance to have gone to the Gulf if I had.

lol - and a lot less humping!

Well, that too...but to be honest we choppered around a lot more than we humped.  I just felt like tits on a boar hog with all my friends from college in armor, mech, ADA and hell, even MP units over in Saudi and Kuwait while I defended Hawaii from Kim Il Sung...

Well...you're not the only one.  What about all those motivated infantrymen in the 2nd ID?  I'm assuming they were just as pissed as the 25th.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I woulda took the opportunity to go to DP A school when it was offered to me.

8 years later, I still kick myself over that one.

I just had to stay aviation...

Where is the "kick my own ass" smiley?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I woulda took the opportunity to go to DP A school when it was offered to me.

8 years later, I still kick myself over that one.

I just had to stay aviation...

Where is the "kick my own ass" smiley?

Roger - it wouldn't be "life" without the imperfections.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wish I wouldve gone combat arms, nothing but envy for those guys even though Ive had my share of hooah moments.

That's what I've heard most.  Thanks for wanting to do more!  

Actually it probably wouldve been a break for me, Im used to working from 6 to 6 every day, in garrison.  Iraq was 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, the same monotenous crap.  At least on patrols and raids something different happens just about every time.  Grunts dont have Vertex or Dynacorp reps trying to tell you how to do your job either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Would've gone for the same job but would have gone for a different service.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything combat related... The mechanic stuff really sucked! It was mostly just a bunch of busy stuff just to keep us out of trouble with no real purpose. Parachuting was fun but it only happened every other weekend drill. And we did go out and shoot some stuff up once in awhile but not enough. I also wish I would have gone full time not the part time crap... After four years or so I did switch to an artillery unit into their FDC section... It was somewhat more exciting at times but then I missed jumping... Now my unit is in Iraq doing "force protection" and "base security."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have done the same thing except that I would ask the Lord to keep the physical demons at bay until AFTER I retired.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Wished I had joined when I was 18 instead of 22.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I would have pursued the aerial gunner special duty position, when I was a weapons troop.  Second wish is that I should have stayed in.

ed. spelling
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I liked being a 98C.  I wish I had stayed in though.  I would have had 16 years in if I had stayed.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#12]
If I could do it all over again, I would change NOTHING
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I would have, in retrospect, changed my MOS from 13B to 11B.  I would probably still be in if I didnt have this !@$%@$ Capt in Germany.  He looked and acted like Ernest P Worrell! (you know the "HEY VERN" guy)  The sad thing he was named Worrell as well.  I knew it was gonna be wierd when the barbed wire at Rivers Barracks was still facing IN when I got to Germany.  

BUT Yes chasing German pussy is an outstanding thing!!!  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad I was Infantry...I didn't do some of the schools that I should have, because I was busy drinking and chasing pussy, that's my main regret.  I've had fun since then, though...  being a 97B was cool.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes but damn glad I don't have to go through it again.  

Roger that.  There are a few things I wouldn't want to endure again.  Like the Buddy Rappel in Mountain phase of hooah school.

Man my Ranger buddy in Mountain phase was this black officer who went to Auburn and played middle linebacker. He was around 240/260 range, I was a mighty 165ish, I could barely get my break hand around his ass, should have seen his face when we stepped over the side of the rock. On Rappel!

I would have stayed in and went 18 series, i.e. the Special Forces Q course for the non army types.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#16]
1.  I would have fought the assignments officer at Fort Sill.  Graduating #8 out of 120 should give you some choice in duty/system assignments.  Instead, I took it in the ass without complaining.
2.  I would have managed my Reserve career and stayed in longer.  I got out on 9/9/01 because I thought nothing was gonna happen.  I retrospect, I might have jumped to a National Guard artillery unit and stayed in to become 0-4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I spent over 12 years in the National Guard and nearly all of it in Combat Arms.  The short time I spent in a transportation unit sent me running to another combat unit.  There is a stark contrast between the professionalism and pride of combat vs non-combat units.  If I had it to do all over again, I would have spent it ALL in combat units.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I was a quitter, only did 21 years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Do I wish I did something differently?

Uhhh yeah!! I wish I would have stayed in bed on December 18 2001. But who knows.... had things not gone exactly how they had it might have been a Butteryfly Effect that would have changed a lot of what I now love in my life so much... like my son, my gun collection, my dog... I don't think any of those things would be the way they are right now had that day gone differently.

Odds are I would have either gotten out like I planned or I would have re-enlisted and re-classed back into 11B so I could have taken part in the Middle Eastern hunting season. Hard to say... but I do think everything happens for a reason so I'll play the hand I'm dealt and try not to dwell on what could have been.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Army Aviation for 22 years, 7 months. I'd do it again easy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Would have enlisted with a 4 year r.i.p. contract in the army instead of national guard sf.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Army Aviation for 22 years, 7 months. I'd do it again easy.

I wont do it unless I decide to submit another 160th packet.  My plan is to get out and take NDI school with me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I was offered an appointment to West Point, turned it down.

I regret it now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks to my experience(s) in the Army I am the man I am today, good, bad, or indifferent. I love my life and my family.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was offered an appointment to West Point, turned it down.

I regret it now.

You should.
Sex, alcohol and sleep are WAY overrated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
hey gang: at first i was an 05b radio operator from 1980-83 i then got out and went into the n.g. then i went back active duty  and thru basic and a.i.t again as an 11b infantryman 1987-1999 and i thank god for it ..i felt real good about myself and what i was doing i also knew at that time i was doing a job that few wanted to do and was doing it quite well.... there are only two kinds of soldiers in the army the  INFANRTY SOLDIER and those who support  the INFANTRY SOLDIER.....vince g 11b inf..
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
hey gang: at first i was an 05b radio operator from 1980-83 i then got out and went into the n.g. then i went back active duty  and thru basic and a.i.t again as an 11b infantryman 1987-1999 and i thank god for it ..i felt real good about myself and what i was doing i also knew at that time i was doing a job that few wanted to do and was doing it quite well.... there are only two kinds of soldiers in the army the  INFANRTY SOLDIER and those who support  the INFANTRY SOLDIER.....vince g 11b inf..

Thank you for serving the country!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I was put into the Reserves straight out of ROTC during the late-'90s draw-down, inspite of having asked for active duty.  I worked as a Navy defense contractor for 3 years while searching for a way to go active.  Finally got what I wanted 4 years ago and haven't looked back since!

I originally wanted to go into Navy ROTC, but when the guy I talked to was an aviator that acted like he was doing me a favor by taking 10 minutes out of his day.  I walked out and talked to the Army folks a couple weeks later, and joined up.  I don't regret making that change one bit.

I love being Armor, and Combat Arms, and although some days are more fun than others, I've never had a day that where I didn't go home satisfied with my job.  I know what it's like to be a civilian and work in the "real world" so it gives me a perspective other Soldiers may not have.  I haven't regretted giving up civilian life yet.  I plan to stay in until I stop having fun (or reach mandatory retirement!), and then go back to the defense industry.

Scouts Out!

Dave
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top