Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
30,000 people, 75 million dollars.  That doesn't add up in my book.

I supported myself through college.  I held a full time job, made house and car payments, paid for my own food, etc.  It can be done.

Thats $2500 each, which adds up to $1250/semester. Sounds about right for a meal plan.

Granted it wasn't yesterday but in college (Late 90's) I ate well on $25-$35/week (Probably < $600-700/semester). Even better when I had roommates and we pooled our funds for groceries.

The school meal plans cost about that back then, but for a food stamp program for buying groceries that above figure is nuts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I didn't know you could get food stamps while being a student.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I could have received food stamps when I went to Ferris State in nothern Michigan 6 years ago, but I got a job to pay for food..................
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Didn't even know they were eligible.  Michigan thing maybe?

I think that our canadian wart woman had just a little bit to do with it.

Just like she and kwame fixed detroit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't even know they were eligible.  Michigan thing maybe?

I think that our canadian wart woman had just a little bit to do with it.

Just like she and kwame fixed detroit.

Kwame said he got food stamps in college too, even though he came from a family with an income that did not qualify.

Leeches are leeches.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked at three different Sorority houses as a bus boy/server for meal services while in college, free meals all day.

I doubt that was the biggest plus for you but i'm sure it was a good added bonus.

ETA that statement works well with your screen name

I miss college
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
1 box of mac and cheese + 1 can of tuna = delicious casserole dinner for two nights.  Total cost = about $2.

Or you could work at a restaurant and scam free meals.  

Fuck the freeloaders.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Learning how to eat "on the cheap" was one of many valuable life skills I learned while in college.

Do more with less.  You're there to learn how to survive in the real world.  IMO the university is doing them a favor.

I agree.  When I did my undergrad I lived w/ 2 others guys and we polled our money and bought a lot of ramen, alot of $1 Hungry Man meals and whatever else was cheap.  We all had jobs, worked at least 20 hours a week and went to school full time.  We still had enough time to drink and party, but we didn't get to nearly as much as some kids did.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Good.  I got through engineering school paying my own way.

Get a degree that's worth something and it won't be as big of a deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
$75 mil divided by 30k is $2500, almost $200 a month. My wife and I only budget $300 a month together and we eat pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More from the Detroit News

Many see using food stamps while attending school as a scam, and former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick described it in much that way in his new autobiography.

Kilpatrick, who was recently released from state prison after serving time for violating probation and awaits trial on federal corruption charges, revealed he used food stamps when he attended Florida A&M University in the late 1980s and early 1990s. At the time, his mother was a state representative and his father was a top Wayne County official.

"The food stamp game is an old hook-up in neighborhoods from Detroit to Tallahassee," Kilpatrick said in the book. "If you could get them, especially as a struggling college student, then you did." ..........

As the twig is bent so grows the tree.

It's fucking amazing what kind of fucking douchebag assholes can get elected into office.

Really?  This is Detroit, and you're amazed?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I work a shitty retail job while studying chemical engineering. It sucks, but it pays my expenses. No food stamps here...:shrugs:
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
how can we expand this nation wide? Imagine all the money the .gov could save by removing all the fraud and giving to those who actually need it..IF i were prez it would be the first i'de overhaul.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Hilarious absolutely hilarious. . I'ts called Ramen, cheese sandwiches, cheap soup, and digging for change. Hell half the time campus's have free food everywhere, be it church functions, frat recruiting drives, or some other random group.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
get a degree that has a good job at the end of it if you want to be able to pay your bills dumbasses .
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
While it is all good to remember how one did it down in memory lane............................one needs to remember that it isn't memory lane anymore.

Usually, I can eat quite cheaply on raw goods, but in the past few months, I've watched some prices go up like on avocados, from .50 to .95. What the affect on other foods is, I don't know........and it just might be that the avocados are out of season, hence the price. Still, though, it makes one stop and wonder.

Does that mean they should have the food stamps? I can't really see much of a reason why. No, it just means think twice before one demands that they financially consume food like they did.....back then.

...........................and the dollar stores are great places to shop for pantry foods.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Ramen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$75 mil divided by 30k is $2500, almost $200 a month.

The end user benefits were probably less, as some of that $75 million savings is (hopefully) administrative costs.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$75 mil divided by 30k is $2500, almost $200 a month.

The end user benefits were probably less, as some of that $75 million savings is (hopefully) administrative costs.

Considering they won't reduce the number of .gov/SEIU jobs, that probably is the benefits only.

That or they're bullshitting as usual.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a college student, I fully support this.

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked at three different Sorority houses as a bus boy/server for meal services while in college, free meals all day.

I doubt that was the biggest plus for you but i'm sure it was a good added bonus.

ETA that statement works well with your screen name

He could have been eating at the ( Y ).
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Welcome to Wendy's may I take your order"

"Two $.99 Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers please."

^How everyone else survived college^

or

Taco 0.99 menu, mac and cheese,  ramen,  rice.......
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]
As a college grad and a citizen of Michigan, this is change I can believe in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#25]
$75000000 / 30000 = $2,500 annual food budget per person.

Bet those fuckers weren't living off of Ramen Noodles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
30,000 people, 75 million dollars.  That doesn't add up in my book.

I supported myself through college.  I held a full time job, made house and car payments, paid for my own food, etc.  It can be done.

Its a little over 208 bucks a month
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How is it that I paid for every meal in college, and these kids think they're entitled to a free lunch?

ETA - Ah, I remember now - I held a JOB.

Same here, damn no one ever thought about getting food stamps while in college 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Learning how to eat "on the cheap" was one of many valuable life skills I learned while in college.

Do more with less.  You're there to learn how to survive in the real world.  IMO the university is doing them a favor.

What happened don't the schools provide pay as you go meal programs anymore?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I sometimes would mix it up and go across the street and get the 99c McChickens.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I still cannot believe the scale of this idiotic program. And the idiots who bleat "Woe is me, what will I do for food!"

Good Lord this state is messed up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yet, no mention of colleges cutting their prices to compensate in assisting these poor students......hmmmm?

Colleges are not for profit organization didnt you know!

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By HenryReardon:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More from the Detroit News

Many see using food stamps while attending school as a scam, and former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick described it in much that way in his new autobiography.

Kilpatrick, who was recently released from state prison after serving time for violating probation and awaits trial on federal corruption charges, revealed he used food stamps when he attended Florida A&M University in the late 1980s and early 1990s. At the time, his mother was a state representative and his father was a top Wayne County official.

"The food stamp game is an old hook-up in neighborhoods from Detroit to Tallahassee," Kilpatrick said in the book. "If you could get them, especially as a struggling college student, then you did." ..........

As the twig is bent so grows the tree.

It's fucking amazing what kind of fucking douchebag assholes can get elected into office.

In Detroit, it would be amazing if they didn't elect one of those types.

I'm sorry, but when I scanned over your name, I read it as "HenryHardon" and laughed out loud.

Sorry  

/derailment

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]
HAHAHAHA!
i never went to college my self, but most everyone i know did, now im 27 going on 28, most of them dont have a ounce of work ethic, still live off of any resource that well pay them including their parents.
alot of these people i know have parents making over 80K a year and still apply for these programs because they can, Fuck them all.
Grow up in a million dollar fucking home and applys for state aid for college, food stampts etc, fuck every last one of those lazy leeches.

This is exactly what they needed, they well forced to work hard for something, and not be bums working at starbucks with degrees talking about how hard life is blah blah blah
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay as you go would have been a blessing at my college.  

Even our Tier 1 meal plan () was good Monday through Friday ONLY.  For the weekend, you were on your own –– even if mom & dad ponied up for the gold-plated meal plan.    So you had to fend for yourself at least two days out of the week.

Needless to say, I became very familiar with Shin Ramyun instant noodles and chopped up hot dogs as a primary source of food.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay as you go would have been a blessing at my college.  

Even our Tier 1 meal plan () was good Monday through Friday ONLY.  For the weekend, you were on your own –– even if mom & dad ponied up for the gold-plated meal plan.    So you had to fend for yourself at least two days out of the week.

Needless to say, I became very familiar with Shin Ramyun instant noodles and chopped up hot dogs as a primary source of food.  

hell, I got one of those small dormer fridges and layed in a good supply of fish I'd caught, and rabbits I'd shot. Those and  a cast iron fry pan I'd picked up at Wally World and I made out pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mohammed Almihtar

GUILTY

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#39]
"It's not fair, I deserve that money!"

College has gotten watered down with too many people that have no business being there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
hell, I got one of those small dormer fridges and layed in a good supply of fish I'd caught, and rabbits I'd shot. Those and  a cast iron fry pan I'd picked up at Wally World and I made out pretty good.

Sounds like a modern version of Tom Brown's Schooldays..........................poaching on the local lands.....................................

In reality, that's sort of what we told sailors, back in the Cold War, on comrats, whether they were on or off base. Pool it, get a frig, and fill it with sandwich makings. On a related note, I know a retired Infantry Captain who essentially lives off his retired pay. He's able to do it because he doesn't eat much, is a heck of an outdoorsman, hunts, fishes..........and works on his own Merecedes.

I was on a 7 day board plan which included everything but Sunday dinner. The way we usually did that was to go out to some Wendy's or such, get our beef......and top it massively at the salad bar.

These days, I don't eat on campus for three main reasons. First, the snack bar schedules are usually not mine. For example, a few years ago, I would get off work at 0800 but I was shocked that the snack bars weren't serving coffee or even open till about 1000. Secondly, my style of eating has changed, since I was in the Navy, over the years from packaged to cooking with raw goods. Such as buying food in bulk, cutting it up, and freezing it. Third, to me, the food on campus is designed for youngsters who burn anything up quick and not us older ones.

On that notion of the last, ramen is not a workable solution for me, too much salt...................but spaghetti is. It's cheap, it's filling, and while a big pot on the stove with water is best, one could also do it in a microwave.

If one wants to or has to eat on the cheap, provided they have a grocery store or a Big Lots type place and some kind of storage, there are lots of little tricks one can use or learn to pull it off. It may not be necessarily fantastic, such as what a bag of tortillas and a jar of peanut butter might be over time.........but it will keep a person alive.
("...........This is for all you girls about twenty-five, In a little apartment, just trying to get by, Living on, on dreams and spaghetti-o's,Wondering where you life is gonna go............,"––lyrics, (w,stte), "This One's for the Girls", Martina McBride)

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#41]
College "food stamps" should be tied to educational loans, and repaid accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#42]
They should never have been eligible for the program to start with.  I worked my way thru college.  It wasn't easy, it took sacrifice but it was a valuable lesson.  If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You were rich.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As a Michigan tax payer, I support this step.  But it's only a step.

Yes
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#45]

WTF....as a starving university student I survive on hot dogs and Ramen noodles. Nobody ever offered me shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#46]
ramen noodles, mac n cheese, and lipton soup packets is how i survived college.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
If I recall correctly, the state of Oregon was actually running commercials telling students to do this, weren't they?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:06:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I worked full time while going to college and graduated with honors.  Being a full time college student is a self directed poverty situation and I owe them  nothing and they do not have a right to take the benefits of my labor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm telling you guys, we are fed up with the libtards in Michigan.

HUGE changes are coming.

Libtards do not hold the majority in ANY area of government that I can think of.

They had their chance and blew it.

The other recent biggie was 48 months of welfare maximum.  (Barring disabilities that are REAL.)

After that, fu** you, get a job or move to another State.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top