Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Do some of you REALLY believe that Mexico wants to take back its former possesions? What are you guys smoking?
As a Mexican-American myself I can tell you that 99.99999% of us don't want to be part of Mexico or any other country except the US. Don't give me this nonsense about what some stupid professor says. It ain't going to happen.
Come on guys, let's have some common sense.

[sniper]
View Quote

None of the Mexicans I know want to reclaim any parts of the US, but there are "Chicanos" I know of who would like to create some sort of "Chicano Nation" out of the American SouthWest. Sure, it ain't going to happen.

One thing that [i]will[/i] happen is increased "Mexican" influence in the US. Mexicans come to the US for wealth and freedom, but many of them bring along cultural ethics that favor the political left.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Personally I'm for thousands more Mexican Army troops on the border, since that might cut down on the flow of illegals and violence.
View Quote

Then you are naive. The Mexican government actively supports the flow of illegals and has aid stations where kits are passed out to assist them in the crossing. Anything else would be inhumane you know. So the idea that more mexican troops is going to cut down on the flow of illegals is ludicrous. They just don't have anything to do with that.

Two other notes. One, this accidently crossing the border (and not at border crossing checkpoints) thing is fairly one sided. It happens to the Mexican authorities with considerable frequency. Two, the Mexican government would not take kindly to your suggestion that troops of any kind be used to stop the flow of illegals. They have always objected to that idea whenver it has been floated in that past. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, they where using their troops to keep out central american migrants on their southern border for years, making them hypocrites...
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
There are, apparently, some mexicans who want to have their own state or country in our SW, but they are definately a small minority. Mexicans are hard working people who want to live the american dream, regardless of whether or not they are citizens. With 9+ million illegals in our country, we are never gonna kick them all out. We should give them citizenship and make them pay taxes. They send billions of dollars back to Mexico every year. The Mexican government wants them to send that money back, so they're not gonna try real hard to stop the illegals.

The Mexican army probably sucks at land navigation, so they end up on our side of the border. If the POS mexican troops want to shoot at uniformed BP officers, we should shoot back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I do know is using your logic I shouldn't give a crap about illegals from Puerto Rico invading the East Coast. I mean, that's an East Coast problem, right? Can't you people deal with your illegals?

View Quote

While I agree with your sentiments, you should know that Puerto Rico is a United States commonwealth and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens (though can't vote in presidential elections, apparently).

It's truly a massive tide... [:(]
View Quote

True today, but it wasn't always that way. In  fact, I remember the INS sending people back to PR in the late 60's.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
PR has had commonwealth status since 1898, I believe.

From the CIA website:

Discovered by Columbus in 1493, the island was ceded by Spain to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. A popularly elected governor has served since 1948. In plebiscites held in 1967 and 1993, voters chose to retain commonwealth status.
View Quote

[url]http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rq.html[/url]

(edited for clarity...)

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top