Quoted:

Yeah, fuck individual freedom and liberty in favor of "the public good"  

Yay for pre-crime.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Institutionalize crazy people; thats what we did up until the '70s.

How's that for simple.

Yeah, fuck individual freedom and liberty in favor of "the public good"  

Yay for pre-crime.  

while the snake pits of the Government owned hospitals were the shit..it was better than Uncle Charley being chained to
the radiator in the basement or attic for the most part. The issue has become that head shrinkers all think they can fix
every broken toy presented to them with chemicals and it just isn't true...I had a great uncle that lived in the V.A. from 1919 into the early 60's
and I was told to NEVER be alone with him and there was almost always an orderly with in 10ft when family visited. he was a danger to self and others.
Those that show violent tendencies, those that show verbal and written threats to self and or the community need to be taken care of. The HEAD CASE's in Virginia, Colorado, Arizona, and Connecticut all gave warning signs of imbalances to friends and family but NO ONE wants to report the fact their kids dangerous..
hell, even the two bastards Klebold and Harris were reeking of the stink of insanity to friends, classmates and if the idiot parents had been paying any attention, had to be aware of it as well.. WE all have seen or met people we Knew were wrong in head, heart or spirit, the question is, HOW do we protect ourselves from them if their immediate "family" refuses to or is afraid to say,,Tommy, we need you to see someone today,,voluntarily or with Officers Friendly and Hardcase over there.

I have a step son, now in his 40's I watched like a hawk until he was over 21 and out and wait for the phone call still today that he's hurt himself or another..and there was NOTHING his parents could do even though we all saw problems developing around age 15, I slept with a locked bedroom door and a cocked and locked 1911 on my bedside..Today's he's a barely self sufficient alcoholic earning $15 in a book store.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Now the problem is how do we keep the liberal gun banners from exploiting this "crisis" to disarm citizens?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now the problem is how do we keep the liberal gun banners from exploiting this "crisis" to disarm citizens?
View Quote

This guy gets it!

ERic
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately the antis will use anything they can just like they do now, there is nothing we can do to change that. The worst thing I see happening is less people seeking professional help that really need it which will just make things worse.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone temporarily psychotic twice, with stays in the psyche ward.  I can still own guns, and do.  

Psychosis is.. interesting..

one particular tidbit I remember is thinking that the leaking toilet in my room at that psyche ward was somehow connected to my thoughts.  Every time I'd have certain thoughts, I'd hear it filling up.  I eventually got so fed up with this that I tore the tank off of the toilet and they switched me to another room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please defend your answer.  Not with the usual  nonsense thrown around here. Use actual data that shows a correlation between SSRI use and  increased violence.  There are tens of millions of citizens using these medications and yet mentally ill shooters are are few in numbers.
Can you explain this please.

ERic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fix number one is to get Family MD's to quit handing out SSRI's like candy and only let psychiatrists prescribe them.

Please defend your answer.  Not with the usual  nonsense thrown around here. Use actual data that shows a correlation between SSRI use and  increased violence.  There are tens of millions of citizens using these medications and yet mentally ill shooters are are few in numbers.
Can you explain this please.

ERic

Thank you.

The whole "meds are overprescribed" faux-causation / correlation thing is way overblown.  SSRIs can be very effective, safe medications and without them or some other anti-depressants & anxiolytics we'd have a lot more problems.

If our society really wants to prevent guys like the Gabby Giffords shooter, the Aurora theatre shooter and the Sandy Hook shooter, we'd resume institutionalizations and invest in a more robust outpatient care management scheme.  The anti-psychiatry de-institutionalization zealots have brought this down on us with their "concern." Some people need to be locked up in loony bins with regular Thorazine doses.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm OK with denying guns to people who have been involuntarily committed for specific mental conditions that make them a danger to themselves or others, after a court hearing where they have an opportunity to present their case and be represented by  counsel.

I have a problem with extending this to voluntary hospitalizations, outpatient treatments, or the  idea of family members with mental problems disqualifying everyone else in the household from owning guns.

This is a classic "slippery slope" situation. It may get to the point where you may need an affirmative psychiatric finding of sanity to own a gun. How many people can be certified as 100% sane, when there is a host of conditions (neuroses, depression, PTSD, attention-deficit disorder, etc.) that make one fall short of the 100% mark. This is a Trojan Horse for the antigunners.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm OK with denying guns to people who have been involuntarily committed for specific mental conditions that make them a danger to themselves or others, after a court hearing where they have an opportunity to present their case and be represented by  counsel.

I have a problem with extending this to voluntary hospitalizations, outpatient treatments, or the  idea of family members with mental problems disqualifying everyone else in the household from owning guns.

This is a classic "slippery slope" situation. It may get to the point where you may need an affirmative psychiatric finding of sanity to own a gun. How many people can be certified as 100% sane, when there is a host of conditions (neuroses, depression, PTSD, attention-deficit disorder, etc.) that make one fall short of the 100% mark. This is a Trojan Horse for the antigunners.
View Quote

That is a great post right there.

ERic
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top