Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]

For the record,  here's what a proper 1909 looks like.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still has the Nazi markings.  I was told the most were ground off before import.  Perhaps my source was full of

I have a K98 un-bubbafied, paid about $300 for it some years ago.
View Quote

The markings are often struck/removed on Russian/Yugo Capture guns. Not always, but it's common.

I've never seen a K98 that wasn't one of those two types with defaced or removed markings. Not saying they don't exist, but it's certainly not normal for them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The markings are often struck/removed on Russian/Yugo Capture guns. Not always, but it's common.

I've never seen a K98 that wasn't one of those two types with defaced or removed markings. Not saying they don't exist, but it's certainly not normal for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still has the Nazi markings.  I was told the most were ground off before import.  Perhaps my source was full of

Israeli K98s are often defaced too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool rifle OP. Nice score!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell if they are Yugoslavian capture or not? I was told that mine is, but I see no evidence of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put it in the appropriate stock and it will look good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Put it in the appropriate stock and it will look good.

This.  It's well preserved and well built for a 45 model.

Quoted:

It was probably a duffel cut vet bring back hence the sporter stock vs issue and markings still there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How can you tell if they are Yugoslavian capture or not? I was told that mine is, but I see no evidence of it.
View Quote

The Yugo guns can be identified a couple of ways. They generally have scrubbed markings and force-matched parts like the RCs do, but don't exhibit the dark blue/black refinish job most RCs have. Often, they will have the Yugo crest stamped on them, and the marks "PREDUZECE 44" added to the left side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Israeli K98s are often defaced too.
View Quote

Yup - forgot about those.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Good news is that there has been quite a few stocks around at different retailers in the last few years. 200 you should have something very usable. You won't find a 45 stock, but a nice laminate, cupped buttplate stock will look pretty good on that rifle.

I saw 2 or 3 posters saying put a scope on it. I hope they are joking because drilling that WILL make it a $159 rifle. They don't know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Yugo guns can be identified a couple of ways. They generally have scrubbed markings and force-matched parts like the RCs do, but don't exhibit the dark blue/black refinish job most RCs have. Often, they will have the Yugo crest stamped on them, and the marks "PREDUZECE 44" added to the left side of the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven’t had mine out of the safe in awhile, but I think it has been force matched, it doesn’t have any other modifications though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of RC K98s have the nazi symbols pinged, but some are unmolested.  I have one of each.  

The Russians disassembled and reassembled the rifles during inspection/reconditioning, and weren't concerned about keeping part numbers matching, including the stock.  Any K98 stock will be "appropriate" for an RC.

I guess that now would be a bad time to mention the barrel full of $10 K98 stocks that I saw at a military rifle collection estate sale 20 years ago...  I did score a sweet unmolested numbers-matching G98 at that sale.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Couple for sale here:

Attachment Attached File

Stock

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A lot of RC K98s have the nazi symbols pinged, but some are unmolested.  I have one of each.  
View Quote

Indeed. In the world of milsurps it is generally wise to avoid using the terms always or never. Odd things happen.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
30/06 ------ 30 Dave Long Noodle ------ 8x57 Mauser

I take the expander out of the die for the first step, trim and then expand. This order also helps if you have a 30cal pilot for your trimmer and not a 32cal. I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to take the big chunk off, the harbor freight mini cut off wheel in the preferred method by most.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had 10-12 Russian capture and they all still had their original markings.

Early (1945-46) Yugos may have some of their markings.  Later, they were removed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any 1945 production 98k with un-drilled metal is collectible.
OP, wanna sell it?
PM Me a price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mauser produced in 1945 and lightly sporterized.
That's all I got.

Any 1945 production 98k with un-drilled metal is collectible.
OP, wanna sell it?
PM Me a price.

I've been trying to find a 45 as well... thats a great steal OP... 2nd in line!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I take the expander out of the die for the first step, trim and then expand. This order also helps if you have a 30cal pilot for your trimmer and not a 32cal. I use a dremel with a cut off wheel to take the big chunk off, the harbor freight mini cut off wheel in the preferred method by most.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/57645C31-90BA-419D-8616-3A8AB680A168_jpe-2330608.JPG
View Quote

Any preference on dies?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any preference on dies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/57645C31-90BA-419D-8616-3A8AB680A168_jpe-2330608.JPG

Any preference on dies?

I use Lee dies for 8x57. But I am not a hardcore fanboy of RCBS/Lee/Hornady/Etc.

Lee is nice due to price, i ordered a 2nd sizing die for like $12 just so I can keep the expander out of one for forming and keep one setup for normal reloading.

If I were to buy today, it would probably be RCBS but I would still want two sizing dies for my process.  

Eta: it should also be noted that I anneal before forming. Old school, spark plug socket in a drill, spin in a propane torch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I use Lee dies for 8x57. But I am not a hardcore fanboy of RCBS/Lee/Hornady/Etc.

Lee is nice due to price, i ordered a 2nd sizing die for like $12 just so I can keep the expander out of one for forming and keep one setup for normal reloading.

If I were to buy today, it would probably be RCBS but I would still want two sizing dies for my process.  

Eta: it should also be noted that I anneal before forming. Old school, spark plug socket in a drill, spin in a propane torch.
View Quote

Hmmm, I may finally break out the Annealeez and actually use it!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have had 10-12 Russian capture and they all still had their original markings.

Early (1945-46) Yugos may have some of their markings.  Later, they were removed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early Yugo conversion.

Later Americanized....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20210501_211230-1926418.jpg
For the record,  here's what a proper 1909 looks like.
View Quote

Mine only cost me a used chainsaw though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be honest, I used to care much for Mauser actions.  They always felt clunky, triggers were underwhelming, and everyone I ever touched felt as heavy as a cross-tie.  But as I have gotten older, I have really learned to appreciate them more...and the collection is growing!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll be honest, I used to care much for Mauser actions.  They always felt clunky, triggers were underwhelming, and everyone I ever touched felt as heavy as a cross-tie.  But as I have gotten older, I have really learned to appreciate them more...and the collection is growing!
View Quote

You describe them in their milsurp format

I have a .243Win I am building on a FN commercial action that weighs 5lb 15oz.(without optics)

Plenty of good triggers though my favorite, Canjar, is long out of production.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have any details on what this stock would have been for?  

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#25]
That looks like a Turkish stock to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone ever try resizing .30-06 brass to 8x57?
View Quote

Yes. Did this for my nephew when he got an RC K-98k and wanted to learn about reloading. It worked just fine.

He decided that reloading was boring and bought Turk and Romanian Surplus to blast with. I took him hunting with his K-98k and his reloads and he decided that hunting was too hard and boring.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top