User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

time to arm todays merchant vessels like 200 years ago.

so what would be the equivalent to 8-12lb'er guns?

40mm Pom=Pom Twin Mounts maybe????
possibly a modern 5" gun?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

if it makes you feel any better i think cbr900s are gorgeous bikes :D

I'm a Ducati man myself

see above... i misquoted

also within reason i find most sportbikes sensual
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Roll Tide!

I wonder what kind of security they are running.

Go Bama!

I want to know what the "warning shots" came from myself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
About f-ing time that the tankers plying those waters employed "private security" who use deadly force against pirates.  

Use of any nation's navel forces on board is, however, a non-starter under the law of the seas.

Where did you get this idea? Please name the document.

Over 30 years in the Merchant Marine and I've never heard such a statement. During WWII we had regular blue-jacket Navy gun crews on our merchant ships.

Also, US Merchant Marine crews have been taking small arms courses for over 10 years. Doesn't guarantee every ship is covered but it's better than nothing.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

40mm Pom=Pom Twin Mounts maybe????
possibly a modern 5" gun?

3-incher, probably; their projectiles are within that weight range, around 14 lbs for a typical explosive projectile.  A 12-pounder would also have been considered a field piece back in the day when placed on a field carriage (which many were light enough for although the longer tubes required a heavier carriage and on land would have been considered siege and garrison pieces).  The really big boys started at 32-pounders and went on up to 10-inch or larger (for guns) whose solid shot weighed a few hundred pounds.

3-inchers, active and deactivated, are relatively common, mainly 3"/50s.  I doubt it would cost a ton to buy a deactivated one and reactivate it.  Proper ammo would be the difficult part.

Regarding the Maersk Alabama, this is the third time she's been attacked.  The second time the security team fired back and drove off the pirates as well.  Maersk hired the team not long after the first attack in which the ship was hijacked.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to make sure it's covered

IBABOPSTILPFOCS

(In before a bunch of posters say that international law prohibits firearms on commercial ships)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
About f-ing time that the tankers plying those waters employed "private security" who use deadly force against pirates.  

Use of any nation's navel forces on board is, however, a non-starter under the law of the seas.

Where did you get this idea? Please name the document.

Over 30 years in the Merchant Marine and I've never heard such a statement. During WWII we had regular blue-jacket Navy gun crews on our merchant ships.

Also, US Merchant Marine crews have been taking small arms courses for over 10 years. Doesn't guarantee every ship is covered but it's better than nothing.

It's easy to get that idea when someone has no clue what they are talking about.

I'm not exactly the worlds leading expert on maritime law, but I know a thing or two
Sounds like you do too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just to make sure it's covered

IBABOPSTILPFOCS

(In before a bunch of posters say that international law prohibits firearms on commercial ships)

Too late.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My navel has a fleet of 20 ships, including an aircraft carrier and 4 nuclear attack submarines

Yes. But your navel forces are NOT on board commercial vessels.  

We also have navel forces on ships in that area.  When they can, they intervene against pirates.  Our navel vessels are ships of war.  The distinction between commercial vessels and ships of war is crucial.

I don't get it, are we reduced to digging the lint out of our bellybuttons and flinging it at them? Maybe you mean navAl forces.

ETA-I see I was beaten to it again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
My navel force (pinky) just dug out a 6 mm projectile

Im guessing 3-4 fps minimum
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had 3 attacks this week.  One ship was attacked off Malaysia but those pirates didnt fare too well.
Ships are being armed cause the NAVAL force isnt big enough to do much.  We have implemented some great things onboard the ships to deter the pirates from boarding.  It involves high pressure fire hoses, razor wire, heavy metal objects and firearms on some.  We have also started hiring guys to ride on some of the ships.  
So far we havent hired any of the US companies cause they asked for fees that were more than the damn ransoms!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My navel has a fleet of 20 ships, including an aircraft carrier and 4 nuclear attack submarines

We also have navel forces on ships in that area.  When they can, they intervene against pirates.  Our navel vessels are ships of war.  The distinction between commercial vessels and ships of war is crucial.

That's odd, as a Vessel Master, and Merchant Marine Deck Officer with an Any Gross Tons license I've never heard of that. Must have been out drunk the day that went over that in class. And for the love of God it's "Naval" not "Navel", that pretty much destroys your credibility right there.

And you might want to tell that to the SEALS on the C-Commando:

http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ships.asp?ship=63

Then there's the crews of the Margaret Chouest, Carolyn Chouest, Cory Chouest, and V. ADM K.R. Wheeler, just to think of a couple others with armed .mil onboard off the top of my head.

Your lane. Stay in it.

(BTW not me, a former shipmate)

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've had 3 attacks this week. One ship was attacked off Malaysia but those pirates didnt fare too well.

Ships are being armed cause the NAVAL force isnt big enough to do much. We have implemented some great things onboard the ships to deter the pirates from boarding. It involves high pressure fire hoses, razor wire, heavy metal objects and firearms on some. We have also started hiring guys to ride on some of the ships.

So far we havent hired any of the US companies cause they asked for fees that were more than the damn ransoms!

LOL. There are some ARFCOM members that would only ask for a lawn chair and sunscreen plus ammo and food, and they'd be all set to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Might want to tell that to the SEALS on the C-Commando:

Then there's the crews of the Margaret Chouest, Carolyn Chouest, Cory Chouest, and V. ADM K.R. Wheeler, just to think of a couple others with armed .mil onboard off the top of my head.

Your lane. Stay in it.

http://fangamers.net/imagehosting/1734d7817dcafac0.jpg
http://fangamers.net/imagehosting/1734d7817dcba914.jpg

Those are USN owned or contracted ships in the MSC, are they not?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Warning shots have been SOP for maritime operations for a LONG time.

The pirates typically like to attack during calm seas, which is a plus for those security crew in terms of a shooting stability.

Not that a super tanker will have much sway up top in rough seas...

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your lane. Stay in it.

Privately owned vessels on contract with the government. The point is, there are no international laws against armed .mil detachments on civilian vessels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Where do I sign up to work security for these ships?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your lane. Stay in it.

Privately owned vessels on contract with the government. The point is, there are no international laws against armed .mil detachments on civilian vessels.

I am aware of that.  This is my area of study.  Working on getting my 3rd Mate's license.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had 3 attacks this week. One ship was attacked off Malaysia but those pirates didnt fare too well.

Ships are being armed cause the NAVAL force isnt big enough to do much. We have implemented some great things onboard the ships to deter the pirates from boarding. It involves high pressure fire hoses, razor wire, heavy metal objects and firearms on some. We have also started hiring guys to ride on some of the ships.

LOL. There are some ARFCOM members that would only ask for a lawn chair and sunscreen plus ammo and food, and they'd be all set to go.

You could probably sell tickets.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Roll Tide!

Wonder how much the pay is?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Warning shots!??!  Are you fucking kidding me?   Kill the fucking Somalians already.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
warning shots.

My first reaction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's odd, as a Vessel Master, and Merchant Marine Deck Officer with an Any Gross Tons license I've never heard of that. Must have been out drunk the day that went over that in class. And for the love of God it's "Naval" not "Navel", that pretty much destroys your credibility right there.

Your lane. Stay in it.

Nice pics!

I can also think of the MSC contracted Hornbeck OSV's.  Then of course, there is the Pacific Pintail and her sister ship (I forget the name....Pacific something or other).  Those are completely civilian owned/run by PNTL, and have 30mm guns, and IIRC a mildet from the UK. There was Westward Venture in 2005 as well, and I'm sure most if not all other contracted ships bringing  war supplies to the arabian gulf
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Greetings to my fellow seamen, Merchant Marine, Coast Guard and Navy.

Just wanted to say I was on an ammo ship in Diego Garcia in 1983 that had firearms in a box on the bridge. That's almost 30 years ago and obviously it was under MSC charter. Certain officers and crew took small arms training ashore while we were there. So arming ships crews has been around for a long time, just been expanded more since 911 and our increased involvement in the Persian Gulf.

I was just a lowly snipe (engineer to you landlubbers) but even I know about these things.

ETA - Those firearms were AR-15's and shotguns IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your lane. Stay in it.

Nice pics!

I can also think of the MSC contracted Hornbeck OSV's.  Then of course, there is the Pacific Pintail and her sister ship (I forget the name....Pacific something or other).  Those are completely civilian owned/run by PNTL, and have 30mm guns, and IIRC a mildet from the UK. There was Westward Venture in 2005 as well, and I'm sure most if not all other contracted ships bringing  war supplies to the arabian gulf

I have an old friend and shipmate on the HOS Westwind, I forgot about those for a minute. I heard that they have a 25mm onboard but don't know if that's true or just scuttlebutt.

There's some really cool jobs those boats get to do. The Margaret, Carolyn, and Cory are all off contract, but I know the Carolyn was the NR-1 boat and the Cory got to do SURTASS, and the Margarent was the Guam/Diego Garcia supply boat. The Margaret is now the Akira and doing OSV work in the GOM, I got to run on her for a few days and she certainly has nice accommodations. The Carolyn has 3 ROVs onboard and is doing seismic work for shell, and the Cory sat in the shipyard for a year in cold stack and just started getting cleaned up to be shown to prospective charters.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your lane. Stay in it.

Nice pics!

I have an old friend and shipmate on the HOS Westwind, I forgot about those for a minute. I heard that they have a 25mm onboard but don't know if that's true or just scuttlebutt.

There's some really cool jobs those boats get to do. The Margaret, Carolyn, and Cory are all off contract, but I know the Carolyn was the NR-1 boat and the Cory got to do SURTASS, and the Margarent was the Guam/Diego Garcia supply boat. The Margaret is now the Akira and doing OSV work in the GOM, I got to run on her for a few days and she certainly has nice accommodations. The Carolyn has 3 ROVs onboard and is doing seismic work for shell, and the Cory sat in the shipyard for a year in cold stack and just started getting cleaned up to be shown to prospective charters.

The HOS ships do have a pair of 25mm's.  Did they rename the ships, or get new ones?  Last time I was in NSB KB, it was Bluewater and Greystone

I was on the escort for Carolyn Chouest towing NR-1 into Galveston in....'07 I think.  It was pretty neat, I had heard of NR-1, but never seen it before.  I might have some pictures kicking around somewhere.  I think they were researching the Flower Garden Banks

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Bring back a Liberty-ship style cannon fore and aft.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Warning shots should be the shots that missed their target only, when it comes to pirates.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Blow the suckers and their boat full of holes, and let the sharks deal with them. What happened to the good old days when we straightened Tripoli out?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Roll Tide!

Anyone?

Here are some companies providing security for pirates.  I am not endorsing any of them, just sharing their names with you.  There are many companies in the UK and Middle East also.
Links left cold.
http://www.navalguards.com/    
http://www.hp-protection.com/
http://www.ustraining.com/

I am thinking Naval Guards is looking good

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Roll Tide!

Anyone?

Here are some companies providing security for pirates.  I am not endorsing any of them, just sharing their names with you.  There are many companies in the UK and Middle East also.
Links left cold.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/16/world/650-pirates2.jpg

Is that an MG 42?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Roll Tide!

Anyone?

Links left cold.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/16/world/650-pirates2.jpg

Is that an MG 42?

Maybe.  More likely an MG-3.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I would need is ammo, got the rest. Oh, and need  a fun switch too.

Spent lots of time on the ocean, in a previous lifetime. Ready to do it again, too.

Sign me up !!!!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm guessing "warning shots" in this case means unconfirmed kill(s) ???

Good for them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought one reason to have a navy was to protect the nation's shipping?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Warning shots!??!  Are you fucking kidding me?   Kill the fucking Somalians already.

It is always a warning shot if they miss.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

they would not need anything fancy..... just some .50 cal machine guns, m240's, and some 20mm old school anti aircraft guns, pointed down..... hell just the 50's would cure 99% of the terriorists....id say on a big assed ship?  um.... 2,  50's in the front,  2,  50's in the rear,  and two 50's on each side........if you really want to put the hurt, dig up some quad 50's. the 50 gives you the range, to keep them far enough away, that their machine  guns, and rpgs are almost worthless.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

How many armed Predators would it take to sink every Somali pirate "mothership"

Only a few would be needed. But basing them over there is the problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#42]
all they need are some  m14 rifles, and a couple of these on each side of the ship..

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top