Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The interesting part of this is that some years ago, this wouldn't have been news.  The public would have sided with the union thugs and the media would have either backed the union up or just kept their traps shut.  Not today though...

Yep, the internet has broken the gripe of the news media on news dessimination. Personally, I didn't read about this story in any of the mainstream news media outlets such as CNN, AP, NYT, LAT etc. In the past "if we didn't report it, it didn't happen." Now thru boards like this, we see the news disseminated even faster because we probably have members in each of the 50 states and all of the big cities in the USA, and we even many members in other countries around the world. If the news media gets it wrong, they can be tarred and feather in hours rather than in months in the past. Witness the Dan Blather/Geo W. Bush NG debacle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The interesting part of this is that some years ago, this wouldn't have been news.  The public would have sided with the union thugs and the media would have either backed the union up or just kept their traps shut.  Not today though...

Yep, the internet has broken the gripe of the news media on news dessimination. Personally, I didn't read about this story in any of the mainstream news media outlets such as CNN, AP, NYT, LAT etc. In the past "if we didn't report it, it didn't happen." Now thru boards like this, we see the news disseminated even faster because we probably have members in each of the 50 states and all of the big cities in the USA, and we even many members in other countries around the world. If the news media gets it wrong, they can be tarred and feather in hours rather than in months in the past. Witness the Dan Blather/Geo W. Bush NG debacle.

How true?  The internet is returning "power to the people"....to an extent.   The interent has made it so easy for people of similar backgrounds and interest to join together in forum based groups.  We quickly "spread the word" when the news media fails us and we can quickly mobilize in protest.  The interent should NEVER be regulated for this very reason.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How true?  The internet is returning "power to the people"....to an extent.   The interent has made it so easy for people of similar backgrounds and interest to join together in forum based groups.  We quickly "spread the word" when the news media fails us and we can quickly mobilize in protest.  The interent should NEVER be regulated for this very reason.

+1 very good post there Devildog
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a big stink in Houston a year or so ago when the Teamsters built a new local office using non-union labor and contractors.  When asked why, they said they could not afford to hire union labor.

Sort of reminds me of the "do as I say and not as I do"  management theory.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is exactly why it WILL be regulated as soon as enough people turn their heads for a second.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Once again, the good guys win.

The pic they had with the story was great....

I love my fellow Marines. I am either buying in Canada next or an Import.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The Union leadership showed it true colors, no amount of back tracking etc can take back what they said and did, so as warning to all of us, we should be careful what we say, because once it is said and done, there can be nothing to take it back. "once the cows have left the barn it is too late to close the door."
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There was a big stink in Houston a year or so ago when the Teamsters built a new local office using non-union labor and contractors.  When asked why, they said they could not afford to hire union labor.

That's hilarious!

Yet, the emperor refuses to acknowledge his nakedness!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....I am either buying in Canada next or .....

Like the CAW is any better?

They aren't UAW
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's hilarious!

Yet, the emperor refuses to acknowledge his nakedness!!!!!!!

Here's a link to the story

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2196642

and a quote from the story:

The new $1.7 million union hall opened on Aug. 10 last year with a brisket barbecue and national notoriety.

The Chronicle reported the day before the grand opening that nonunion construction workers built the 16,246-square-foot structure because Local 988's leadership decided union contractors cost too much.
James P. Hoffa, the union's international president and son of presumed-dead Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, canceled his appearance at the festivities. A few days later, host Jay Leno joked about the controversy on NBC's The Tonight Show.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I know there was some talk locally of picketing the union headquarters over this.  Which I am for. Probably would be pretty bad image wise to have a bunch of americans (and many union workers by the way) picketing the UAW.

There are a hell of a lot of people who work for the american auto industry  (manufacturers, dealers and suppliers) than just the UAW.  You might want to consider that when you think about buying a foreign car.  BTW, I am not in a union nor do I work for the auto industry or have I ever been in the military.

I am glad the UAW president got his ass handed to him over this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking at a new vehicle, the UAW has helped me to decide against anything they had their greasy hands in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
The Corps does not forget betrayal,

during the waining days of Vietnam a lot of colleges kicked out ROTC.  Over the last 30 yrs some colleges have softened & decided to let ROTC back in.  The Air Force & Army went back to some campuses, the Navy/Marines said no thanks.

Unfortunately for me, Florida State was one such university.  Back in '88 I was picked up for a ECP program & needed to be part of a ROTC unit.  Hoping to return to FSU, I was dissappointed to hear of thier prior transgression, so I became a Gator.  I did have the option to attend FAMU, but wasn't sure abt being a rattla'.....

I am kinda torn during the biggest rivalry football game every year, so I root for both!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If I was that commander, I would ensure I posted guards on those vehicles next drill. If the union holds to the usual patterns of behavior, vandalism is a very likely thing.

You bet your ass.  I would love to see some Jarheads pound on some UAW goons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Toyota T-100 I purchased new in 1997-currently has 191,000 miles no major problems, everything on the vehicle works, 21mpg, 4x4, I abuse the shit out of it,  I am in Panama right now and 80 percent of the vehicles down here are Toyotas-almost a 100 percent in Afghanistan, 80 percent in Egypt, point is that the UAW shit in their hat on this one.

The UAW can kiss my ass-my nex truck will be another Toyota

DO NOT FUCK WITH THE USMC

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Hope a marine cracks you in the face with the butt of his rifle.  

For the full effect, make sure it is a Garand with a walnut stock. That would make for a solid hit!

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Toyotas assembled in the NUMMI plant are assembled by UAW workers.  Keep that in mind when you buy your next toyota.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I posted this over at Usual Suspect Network (discussing the same event), and figured it would be just as relevant here:

The UAW is consistent, if nothing else. Here's my personal account of my run in with the UAW during a trip up to Buffalo, NY last summer (and keep in mind, I'm the son of a retired Ford auto worker/UAW member).

My mother went into the hospital last summer, right at the time Ronald Reagan's health took a turn for the worst, and then finally succumbed to Alzheimer's. By the time Reagan passed away, my mother was admitted to a hospital in Cheektowaga, a suburb of Buffalo. Each day, on my drive to the hospital, I had to drive right by a local UAW hall, which had both American and Newy York state flags flying out front. It finally occurred to me that the American flag hadn't been lowered to half mast, so I called the union to ask about it. I was connected to a union spokesman.

I said I noticed that their flag wasn't being flown at half mast, and asked if this was an oversight on their part, or was it being done on purpose? His response was just what you'd expect.

"It's no mistake. Ronald Reagan was no friend of the American union guy, and he showed that with what he did with PATCO (air traffic controller's union)."

I then asked him "You mean that your union can't put political differences aside, and out of respect for a two term American President, lower the flag in his honor?"

"Nope. He was no friend of the unions, and that flag ain't getting lowered!"

I said, "So the fact that Reagan won the Cold War, defeated communism, ushered in a period of enormous growth in our economy, and made the world a safer place, means nothing in comparison to how he dealt with the unions?"

"That's right, and that flag ain't getting lowered!"

I then said "I know you must see the same statistics I do, so you're aware that in the past two elections, nearly 50% of all American union workers voted Republican, so by taking the position you've chosen, isn't that quite a slap in the face for half of the members in your union?"

"That flag stays the way it is."

That's the UAW in all it's glory, and the prevalent mindset of American union bosses. As I've told my father (in some rather testy discussions), "If you think the modern union bosses are working to get you a fairer wage and better working conditions, you're out of your mind. They're a bunch of fat cats and are nothing more than the money collection arm of the Democratic Party."

One morning, about a month after my discussion with the UAW guy in Buffalo, Laura Ingraham was discussing the political directions of the American union leaders, and I called her and was able to get on air to relate this whole episode. At that time, I was able to remember the local union's number and said it on the air, so I hope they received a call or two.

Every time I see one of those stupid bumper stickers that says "Unions are good for America," I just have to laugh. Those guys are clueless.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
FUCK THE UAW!!!

WAY TO GO DEVIL DOGS!!!

“I talked to Ron; I let him know that I understand he has rescinded his decision,” said Lt. Col. Joe Rutledge, a top-ranking officer at the reserve infantry rifle battalion. “However, I’ve made my decision — either you support the Marines or you don’t.”

[nelson] HAW HAW[/nelson]

stupid union gangsters.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
sounds like you are blaming the union for something a couple of the top nitwits did...........

Exactly.
Sounds like you are excusing the Union for elevating douchebags.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Hope a marine cracks you in the face with the butt of his rifle.  

For the full effect, make sure it is a Garand with a walnut stock. That would make for a solid hit!

Damned straight. Can't bust heads (more than once) with a plastic rifle.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
sounds like you are blaming the union for something a couple of the top nitwits did...........

Yeah.......... And?

If the top nitwits represent and speak for the union, what else are we to think?

In their defense (and I'm not one to defend unions) it appears, based on the number of UAW workers who opposed the policy, that it was a unilateral decision by their president regarding the Marines, and pressure from his membership was a contributing factor in that shiitheads policy reversal. What gets me even more was the fact that he's a former Marine.    

\

If i am not mistaken,(I'm definately not union) union members elect their union president.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Toyotas assembled in the NUMMI plant are assembled by UAW workers.  Keep that in mind when you buy your next toyota.

My 1997 Toyota was built in Japan-the Tundras were not made int he USA until after 1998-
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not a Marine nor have I ever been one. I am a grateful citizen who is proud to say that I come from the same country as these fine men and women.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top