Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Bet the first request said exactly that!   Of course the first request was from a Lance Cpl...

Semper Fi
Ed

I'd think a LCpl would request a low power tattoo setting for Psyops fun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Someone please give a condensed and simplified explanation of how these things work.  They odviously involve some spectrum of light energy, but do they also involve particle beams of some kind?  Due to ,I'm guessing, a trajectory w/ little or no drop, would lasers be usefull for long range naval use[think over the horizon].

I don't think they could use them over the horizon as there is no drop from a laser.  They could only to as far as the horizon - after that a target would be below the horizon and therefore shielded.  I guess it could be possible if they had sattelites with 'mirrors' able to reflect a useful amount back to Earth, but that's way beyond what we can do now.

-K
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Smoke/dust = laser light show while everyone dances.  

I wonder what would happen if you had a mirror...

Uh, you have never seen a real laser work I guess.  One that actually has the power to burn something.

And only lasers working in visible light spectrum can be seen, and they can only be seen from the side if there is smoke or dust floating around to reflect a portion to the side.  Most of these lasers are IR because certain IR wavelenghts pass through air better than optical light.

No, I've never seen a real laser work.  The laser range finder on the M1 was invisible.  It would also give you a bad return in dusty conditions, in smoke, or if there was a lot of scattered vegetation between you and the target.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the USMC going to put this in?  The USAF already is converting a AC-130 with a laser, but what do the Marines have to mount one in?  They are still pretty big

Probably make the boot private hump it around.

the punisment laser
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the USMC going to put this in?  The USAF already is converting a AC-130 with a laser, but what do the Marines have to mount one in?  They are still pretty big

Probably make the boot private hump it around.

the punisment laser

USMC has their own C-130s.  Not nearly as many as the AF, but they do have some.  Think about the KC-130s and Fat Albert, they are all Marine birds.  Not sure how many standard C-130s they have though.

Any Airwing Marines on here that can answer that?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
so what would happen if i fill the back of a truck with popcorn and cover it wil lots of foil? what would happen if they shot it with the laser?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bet the first request said exactly that!   Of course the first request was from a Lance Cpl...

Semper Fi
Ed

That is a Hilarious idea.
branding laser... lol  could have all sorts of great designs
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi
Ed

That is a Hilarious idea.
branding laser... lol  could have all sorts of great designs

Somebody with some good photoshop and html skillz could have a lot of fun at DU's expense with this idea.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top