BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Got some strange drivers on here.  

As far as downshifting goes, ride a motorcycle and you'll see you have to downshift, or it's a bitch to get into low gear after you stop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
4-banger 2004 Nissan Frontier pickup

typically shift around 3,000 rpm

good compromise of power & economy
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Call me a gas guzzler, but I rarely use 6th unless I'm going at least 120
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The Golf is a four cylinder four speed. I mostly shift just moving fast enough to prevent lugging. I hate to downshift or brake if I don't need to, so I carry a lot of speed through the curves. We have lots of fun, twisty roads here and I try to entertain myself.

When I have reason I wind it out.

In the Porsche I need to rev it a little higher to avoid lugging, and I find myself revving for Joy a little more often. I do drive at higher revs in heavy traffic for safety's sake. I keep compulsive records of fuel usage and my milage rarely varies, unless I am on all-highway trips (higher), racing/autocrossing (much lower) or driving in heavy snow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Porsche 914-6 - Flat-6 11,000 rpm redline - Wound it to 9k every so often, took it redline once and almost crapped in my pants thinking of rocker arm destruction (followed by piston / valve intimate relations). Mostly hung around 5k unless driving on freeway on a long trip, then it was 3500 in fifth.

CW

11,000 Rpm's with a Porsche six?? What are you running in that thing?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS, 6-Speed -- Most of the driving I do I commuting down Rt7 here in Northern Virginia, so I rarely get it in 6th gear. Usually keep the Revs above 3.5K, cause I ALWAYS want pick-up when I step on the gas. I'm using the B&M Short Shifter, makes it easy to get in the gear I need. Once my clutch gives, I'll probably pony up some $$ for a TRD Clutch.

BTW, I just got out of traffic court a couple weeks ago. Originally charged for 89/55(Wreckless), my lawyer got me 75/55(Speeding). This was on the Capital Beltway on the Weekend, the road was practically empty, save for Johnny Law.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with Lightning_P38, I shift when I gotta shift - I'm rarely conscious of the revs.  On the highway I use 5th(.67 OD), and still have enough grunt to pass if I need to.  407 HP at the crank makes all the difference in the world!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Porsche 914-6 - Flat-6 11,000 rpm redline - Wound it to 9k every so often, took it redline once and almost crapped in my pants thinking of rocker arm destruction (followed by piston / valve intimate relations). Mostly hung around 5k unless driving on freeway on a long trip, then it was 3500 in fifth.

CW

11,000 Rpm's with a Porsche six?? What are you running in that thing?

Don't have it anymore, but it was a bored 2.0 L case to accept 2.8L cylinders with titanium pistons, bored 2.2L heads and Garretson GE60 cams. The rocker arms were forged, not cast. This is what allowed the engine to run to 11k. Compression was about 15:1; had to run avgas or racing fuel.

CW
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top