Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock will come out with 7 and 8 round magazines. They just couldn't say when.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
And Springfield offers the XDs with a current rebate of three free mags. In my personal opinion, it destroys both the Shield and the 43... And you can get it in .45ACP.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a USP and Glock fan. I did a lot of research and molesting of both e the 43 and Shield.

I recently bought the shield. It fit my hand much better and there was a bit less felt recoil. This is just one man's choice and opinion.

Try buy, buy what works for you. FWIW, money was not a factor in the decision. With that being said, I believe the Glock is over priced.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate the trigger on my Shield.  It is heavy as fuck and the reset sucks.  The triggers on my Glocks are way better.  That being said, it conceals well and I'm sure in a defensive situation, especially at contact distance, the trigger won't be a big deal.  But for every day shooting at the range, I have to go with Glock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I will stick with my LC9s and SR9c. Great triggers and I shoot them well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL.  Glock fanboys are the same as Apple fanboys.

Their stuff is awesome and your stuff is shit
I like my shield.  
View Quote

Yeah, it's the Glock fanboys that keep making these threads.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably the most intelligent post in the history of GD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Glock 43 can always be made to accept more rounds. The Shield, however, can never be made to accept less. The 43 has the advantage of being a predictable Glock, while being smaller, at least in some aspects.

To each his own though.

Do you even know what point he's making? I do. The stock of a handgun is the "giveaway" for the majority of concealed carry people; the shorter the stock, the easier the gun typically is to conceal. The Glock 43 has a shorter stock than the Shield does, which makes it easier to conceal than the Shield. Yes, you and others may consider is so marginal a difference as to make the point moot, and that's cool, but for thin people who wear more form-fitting shirts, it makes a very noticeable difference; a big enough difference for me that I don't carry my Shield and instead carry either my G26 or my G43.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

you mean 1 more round with the flush mag.  put a +2 extension on the G43 and capacity is equal and its still smaller than the Shield with its 8 rd mag

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Glock 43 is the best example of "a day late and a dollar short" I have ever seen in my life.
After years of begging for a single stack G19, they come out with a pocket 380. Then once those fanboy sales dwindled, they bring out a pocket 9mm the same size as their leading competitions Shield, but with two less rounds and $150 more expensive.

Perfection.

you mean 1 more round with the flush mag.  put a +2 extension on the G43 and capacity is equal and its still smaller than the Shield with its 8 rd mag

Do you have a picture that shows it still being smaller?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you even know what point he's making? I do. The stock of a handgun is the "giveaway" for the majority of concealed carry people; the shorter the stock, the easier the gun typically is to conceal. The Glock 43 has a shorter stock than the Shield does, which makes it easier to conceal than the Shield. Yes, you and others may consider is so marginal a difference as to make the point moot, and that's cool, but for thin people who wear more form-fitting shirts, it makes a very noticeable difference; a big enough difference for me that I don't carry my Shield and instead carry either my G26 or my G43.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Glock 43 can always be made to accept more rounds. The Shield, however, can never be made to accept less. The 43 has the advantage of being a predictable Glock, while being smaller, at least in some aspects.

To each his own though.

So you're saying the Shield it TOO THICK for concealed carry when wearing form fitting clothing?

BUT, then you go on to say you carry a G26, which is almost twice a thick...

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own though.

I'll go one dumber here.

You can put 1 round in the chamber and leave the mag out.  There, I just made it accept less.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you're saying the Shield it TOO THICK for concealed carry when wearing form fitting clothing?

View Quote

He very clearly said SHORT. Which is the grip length.

That being said, it's a non issue IMO. I wear shirts on the tighter side and have no problems concealing a G19. Carried an M&P full size for a long time as well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
8 Rounds (Shield) vs 6 Rounds (Glock).

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/stripeknight/images_zpsggzidvbr.jpg
View Quote

remove that damn finger rest from the glock, and its 1" shorter in the grip.  thus smaller....... thus a more easily conceiled gun.  ccw aint just about capacity.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just as a preface, I'm at M&P whore.  I don't care.  M&P9 and M&P9c with the DCAEK kit and AEK polymer trigger.  Shield is stock, it's a heavier trigger, but there is no "grittiness" that my 9 and 9c had.  I'm not going to say it can compare to high-end 1911s and such, but it is a damn smooth trigger with a very clear reset.  It's going to take a hell of a pistol to replace those for me.

Onto the Shield.  It's good at what it is for.  It isn't big enough (grip area, I mean) for me to be all that accurate with it at distances over 15 yards.  For reference, I have the large backing on the full size and compact, I'm a shorter guy with short guy hands, but the large grip gets my trigger finger exactly where I want it.  The Shield is so thin that the grip isn't as comfortable as my other two, but for close range and absolute concealment, it's going to be a damn difficult pistol to beat.
View Quote

These grips might make it feel a little better for you
http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That being said, it's a non issue IMO. I wear shirts on the tighter side and have no problems concealing a G19. Carried an M&P full size for a long time as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People will twist the narrative to fit their argument. He clearly said short, but instead here we go arguing about thickness.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#15]
You'll spend 2/3 of the money you save on the Shield to put in an Apex trigger. Then, your trigger well be better than even the legendary Glock trigger.

I like my Shield, but at the indoor range, it tends to bounce hot brass off the dividing wall and into the corner of my eye where it gets lodged between my glasses and face. Holy Shit, that's hot, and it's happened twice until I modified my shooting glasses to close the gap.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Aaaaaand my Walther PPS > than the Shield.   Have a nice day

Sub compact with the ergos/trigger to wreck a plate rack and can pass the 2,000 round challenge (and keep going another 1300 rounds).  Beat that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
People will twist the narrative to fit their argument. He clearly said short, but instead here we go arguing about thickness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knew that comment would get the Glock Fanbois rustled jimmies  

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own though.

Read again. I never mentioned thickness.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
They're probably both roughly equal in use given their size and intended role.

Pick the one you like best.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Weight is a big factor for me.

A fully loaded glock 43 weighs just about what a totally empty shield weighs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#21]
where is the lc9?

oh that's right its in the winners circle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]
In the end, the M&P is still just a second-rate, product-improved Sigma with a shit trigger. S&W should have stopped when they were at their peak with the 3rd gen autos.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Glock 43 - 17.95 oz / 22.36 oz

S&W Shield - 19 oz

We get it...you'd buy a Hi-Point as long as it said Glock on the side. And apparently your better at shooting than anyone else from reading your other posts in other threads....

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Too bad Glock didn't come out with the G43 5 or 10 years ago, maybe I'd own one.

My micro 9mm is a Kahr, and I'm happy with it.  I'm not going to take a bath on trade-in, sell accessories, etc., only to have a gun that is pretty comparable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

S&W Shield - 19 oz

We get it...you'd buy a Hi-Point as long as it said Glock on the side. And apparently your better at shooting than anyone else from reading your other posts in other threads....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W Shield - 19 oz

Obviously my post was hyperbolic. I own, carry and like both the shield and the glock. That makes me a glock fanboy, right?

Nice try, but you fucking failed hard.  

You seem like a very emotional person to get so offended at a post I make about guns.

I own over 10 glocks and only one smith and wesson. You mad bro? Yeah you mad.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Obviously my post was hyperbolic. I own, carry and like both the shield and the glock. That makes me a glock fanboy, right?
You seem like a very emotional person to get so offended at a post I make about guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

S&W Shield - 19 oz

Ok...keep clearing malfunctions "fast as fuck" with the Glock 19 that was bought the day you were born, while trying to get the search and assist thing down, while outshooting many people, and talk about you're lack of any training.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Serious topic gets serious..
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Colion Noir did a review comparing both. Close, and very honest.

I like my Shield, but prefer to carry with the 7 round mags with Pierce grip extensions.
View Quote

This.

I never watched Colion's stuff until yesterday. That's the most honest comparison of the two I've seen. I'm watching more of his stuff now. My wife refers to her LCP as "pewpew," so I even ordered her a pewpew life shirt. Now if he'd stop wearing those flat billed caps.

I bought the Pierce Extension to put on my 7rd, but it's just slightly loose, and it bothered me enough that I took it back off. I bought 2 extra 8rnd mags thinking that's what I would prefer to carry, but I've been carrying it with the flush fit 7 for two days now, I dunno, I may actually like it better and order another 7rnd to keep in rotation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

The PPS was doing it for years before the Shield or 43, and still wins any head-to-head comparison. Walther's marketing team should be fired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walther PPS is better.

This.

The PPS was doing it for years before the Shield or 43, and still wins any head-to-head comparison. Walther's marketing team should be fired.

The only real disadvantage is it's price. Some people might take issue with the mag release but that's easy enough to get used to. That said the thing pinches my hand like no other when I try to do a mag change. I sold mine and sometimes regret it. I wish Walther would make a PPQ compact; that CCP is an abomination.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I pawed over a new concealed carry piece from Taurus??? that looked and felt to be very well-made.  It's a slim little pistol meant to compete with Shield and Glock, from what it looks like.  I can't find it anywhere on line though.  I don't even see it in Taurus's 2015 catalog, so I'm wondering if I read it right.  I saw it at Sportsman's.

I have the Shield, and have only looked over the Glock 42 and 43 so far.

Also have the M&P9C, and M&P40 full-size.  I shoot a lot, and haven't had any issues with the M&P's dating back to 2007 for the full-size, 2009 for the compact, and 2012 for the Shield.

I was thinking about getting one of the Glocks just for my CCW courses and a summer gun.

The polymer, machinework, and overall execution of the new Taurus??? seemed to be better than both the M&P and Glock, just holding and inspecting it.  It's a lot better than some of the other polymer Taurus pistols I have seen.

I just went through Sportsman's entire online listing of semi-auto pistols, and I don't see it, unless it's the Millennium G2.  The one I looked over was single stack, or at least felt like it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Walther PPS is better.

View Quote

Yep ......

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#33]

You'll shoot your leg off with that thing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok...keep clearing malfunctions "fast as fuck" with the Glock 19 that was bought the day you were born, while trying to get the search and assist thing down, while outshooting many people, and talk about you're lack of any training.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W Shield - 19 oz

Cry some more.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The 42 with a Taran +1 is still shorter than the Shield with a flush magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've owned a shield, and while there was nothing to complain about, I was never able to really warm up to it. I got a G43, and it just suits me better.

*shrug*

I am glad to hear that less rounds when your life counts suits you better.

it's always a compromise between concealability and capacity.  you get 1 round less on the G43 stock flush mag but its 0.35" shorter than the Shield.  add a +1 extension and its still shorter but with the same capacity.  the Shield can never be as concealable as the G43 but the G43 can be made to have the same capacity as the Shield and still be slightly smaller

That extension will most likely make the glock taller then the shield Samantha.

I'm not implying that your post is completely retarded, however you just compared a completely over size .380 to a very compact 9mm..
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

remove that damn finger rest from the glock, and its 1" shorter in the grip.  thus smaller....... thus a more easily conceiled gun.  ccw aint just about capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8 Rounds (Shield) vs 6 Rounds (Glock).

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p160/stripeknight/images_zpsggzidvbr.jpg

Ain't ain't a word and less boolets is no excuse for an 1/8th inch shorter
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You'll spend 2/3 of the money you save on the Shield to put in an Apex trigger. Then, your trigger well be better than even the legendary Glock trigger.

I like my Shield, but at the indoor range, it tends to bounce hot brass off the dividing wall and into the corner of my eye where it gets lodged between my glasses and face. Holy Shit, that's hot, and it's happened twice until I modified my shooting glasses to close the gap.

View Quote

I just shot my Shield yesterday morning. Put about 8 magazines through it. I don't find the trigger bad at all. It's a bit heavy, but I'd rather my carry gun require a more deliberate pull. It's not creepy or gritty, and it breaks pretty cleanly. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly fine for my carry gun.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

I never watched Colion's stuff until yesterday. That's the most honest comparison of the two I've seen. I'm watching more of his stuff now. My wife refers to her LCP as "pewpew," so I even ordered her a pewpew life shirt. Now if he'd stop wearing those flat billed caps.

I bought the Pierce Extension to put on my 7rd, but it's just slightly loose, and it bothered me enough that I took it back off. I bought 2 extra 8rnd mags thinking that's what I would prefer to carry, but I've been carrying it with the flush fit 7 for two days now, I dunno, I may actually like it better and order another 7rnd to keep in rotation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colion Noir did a review comparing both. Close, and very honest.

I like my Shield, but prefer to carry with the 7 round mags with Pierce grip extensions.

This.

Odd, I have 3 7 rounders with the Pierce extensions, and none of them are loose in the slightest.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
The differences between the two are so negligible that it really comes down to personal preference. Shoot 'em both, buy the one you like more.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At least Glock remembers to rifle their barrels.  I won't begrudge anyone who trusts their life to S&W, but they should know better.
View Quote

And anyone who carries a gun they haven't personally put hundreds of rounds through, no matter WHO made it, is a fool.

Never, ever, carry a gun you haven't personally vetted.

There isn't a gun made that I'd take right out of the box and put on my hip.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just shot my Shield yesterday morning. Put about 8 magazines through it. I don't find the trigger bad at all. It's a bit heavy, but I'd rather my carry gun require a more deliberate pull. It's not creepy or gritty, and it breaks pretty cleanly. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly fine for my carry gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've often marveled at the insistence that the M&P and/or Shield's trigger "needs improving".

Both feel more or less like every other striker-fired pistol I've ever shot. (and I own Glock, S&W, and XDs)

I don't see THAT much of a difference between them and the Shield's trigger isn't nearly as "bad" as many would have you believe. It sure as hell isn't a 1911 trigger, but few are.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've often marveled at the insistence that the M&P and/or Shield's trigger "needs improving".

Both feel more or less like every other striker-fired pistol I've ever shot. (and I own Glock, S&W, and XDs)

I don't see THAT much of a difference between them and the Shield's trigger isn't nearly as "bad" as many would have you believe. It sure as hell isn't a 1911 trigger, but few are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the trigger, seems like a clean break. Maybe it was an issue with older models?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not implying that your post is completely retarded, however you just compared a completely over size .380 to a very compact 9mm..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I meant 43. Taran doesn't make mag extensions for the 42 (well, until next month).

Thanks for acting like an arrogant prick in every response in this thread though. It helps the overall mood of GD.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, I meant 43. Taran doesn't make mag extensions for the 42 (well, until next month).

Thanks for acting like an arrogant prick in every response in this thread though. It helps the overall mood of GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to type, we can't read your mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my shield. I shoot it well and it conceals great for me. The grip just felt more comfortable in my hand than the 43. I think this debate truly comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Educate yourself on guns and you'd know Taran doesn't make a mag extension for the 42.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like my shield. I shoot it well and it conceals great for me. The grip just felt more comfortable in my hand than the 43. I think this debate truly comes down to personal preference.
View Quote

well said
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I just came here to post that I wish TTI made basepads for the shield. I hate the 8 round mag for the shield
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I think Colion Noir's comparison is probably one of the most honest comparisons I've heard/seen:

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#50]
If you like the M&P, get one.  If you like the Glock, get one.

Both are serviceable pistols.   I own Glocks, so 43 it is.   It's a fantastic little pistol.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top