User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
20 seconds....
20 SECONDS!?!
He stared at the SUN for 20 SECONDS straight!?!?

Derrrrrrrp

I don't know if eclipses are magic or something, but I'm pretty sure that must have seemed pretty effing bright to his eye, and yet he kept on staring. There is no way he didn't feel like he was staring at something way too bright to be looking at, yet he continued to do so.  Duuuuuumb!  Megadumb!!  It's a shame he had to learn the lesson the hard way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old are you?.......less than say 45?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is this eclipse such a big deal? I've never seen so much news about one before.
Yes, 38.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What exactly is there "not to buy?"

Are you denying that looking at the sun can burn a hole in your retina?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not buying it
What exactly is there "not to buy?"

Are you denying that looking at the sun can burn a hole in your retina?
That's just what MSM wants you to think.

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People will do it and they will blame Trump.

They'll also blame him if it's cloudy in current location and they can't see shit.
View Quote
I will stand up to the racist facist clouds and yell at them for you old man.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, 38.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is this eclipse such a big deal? I've never seen so much news about one before.
Yes, 38.
There hasn't been a total eclipse visible in the continental US since 1979.

Why would one have been in the US news since then?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought five solar glasses from a fellow arfcommer months ago and just found out the school is handing them out to the kids so I have four spare glasses.

I plan on walking outside at the jobsite, watching for a few minutes and going back to work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
UV is a cause of cataracts. I lived in Colorado for 25 years and rarely wore sunglasses. I'm in my 50's now and I had my right eye lens replaced with an implant at age 51, and my left eye lens replaced at age 53. It's miraculous surgery. The structure of my eye is essentially intact, just with intra-ocular lenses (IOL) inserted into my lens sacs, and I see great.

There is one more surgical step I do not want to take, and that is the Nd:YAG laser, which is used to blow a hole in the back of the lens sac when it becomes cloudy. Check out he videos. That's a destruction of the eye's structure that I am not willing to subject myself to for a fleeting glimpse of a planetary event.

I'll be watching the eclipse using the pin-hole-in-paper method, and reveling in the darkness.

Not gonna use eclipse glasses, welding visors, not even going to glance at the sun. I don't need it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Marketing. I hear that Goodyear will have a logo on the moon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a ton of fake glasses out there.
Amazon has a recall on some they sold.
I wonder how many people will suffer blindness.

Fake eclipse glasses
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, 38.

Yeah,I just looked that up after posting, lol. I remember watching an eclipse at school when I was a kid and saw that several would be visible here in the U.S. in the next decade, so I assumed it was a fairly common occurence. Obviously I must have watched a partial eclipse as a kid, but didn't realize it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
fuck everything about the moon and the sun right now

traffic coming down 85 was retarded yesterday - do northeastern people really have nothing better to do?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fake eclipse glasses
View Quote
amazon deserves to have the ever living shit sued out of them for their chinese goods enterprise
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is funny when people are like "what's the big deal?"  Ummm, the fact that it happens like once in a lifetime. I used a shoe box sometime in school to observe a major partial and I remember it being somewhat neat, but way overhyped.  Mostly because I couldn't look right at it.  Still, I wish I was traveling to see it just to give the kids a cool little trip.  I liken it to the Kentucky derby, lots of hype for a couple minutes of excitement, followed by a lot of WTF do we do now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
"Nonsenks! I looked at an eclipse with me right eye for a whole minute, and it ain't hurts me one bit! Ug ug ug ug "

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
For fucks sake, I grab a glimpse or two of the sun every day and yet I'm not blind. 

You don't fucking stare at it. 
I'm about to drive 800 miles for the eclipse and guess what? I don't have or need a pair of fucking eclipse glasses.
Totality is the only time worth staring up. I've seen my share of partial eclipses and they're not that fucking interesting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have seen plenty of people who are not aware of various health hazards, there will be probably a few that would stare into the and eyesight damage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
That's why you should spend your life building up a tolerance by looking at the sun for increasing periods of time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
What round for the sun?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, 38.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, 38.
I was thinking you couldn't have been anywhere on the east coast in 1970.

I was 12 and we were right in the path of total eclipse. Holy shit it's all you heard for months.
When it finally came, it was partly cloudy and I only got the occasional clear view of it (though a welding lens), but i saw enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
ITT We learn that Manly Men just stare the sun down until it sets in shame...

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is hilarious to me is all the warnings going around about "Dont let your pets out during the eclipse".

Duh. Now why would they be looking at the sun then any more than any other time? The only reason humans are looking at it is because they know there is an eclipse.  Do you just stare at the sun on any other day?

To an animal, it will be just like any other day, if it is bright (and it will be even during most of the eclipse), they ain't gonna look.
View Quote
I often look at the sun with a pair of binoculars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People will do it and they will blame Trump.

They'll also blame him if it's cloudy in current location and they can't see shit.
View Quote
Look at the headlines regarding how the eclipse relates to counties where he was elected
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#23]
He flew his Learjet to Nova Scotia to see it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuck sake, the whinging and handwringing about this shit is ridiculous.  Basically everything about the eclipse in the last few days has been about how dangerous it is and how to prepare for the days of terrible gridlock and anarchy.
View Quote
a vast shitload of people are going to roast their eyeballs looking at the sun

and there is going to be gridlock and anarchy

we don't exactly live in a sophisticated future society of learned aesthetes

we're King Budweiser of planet meatball
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fake eclipse glasses
View Quote
My wife bought a couple pairs that Amazon refunded because of that. They aren't certified or something but I believe they'd still be safe, at least for a glance. I couldn't see any normal light through them and a quick glance at the sun was no issue.

That said, I won't be using them, she got some other glasses and I have a tier 1 welding helmet. I find it odd that NASA recommends shade 12 or above on welding goggles but you can TIG weld for hours at a lower setting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He flew his Learjet to Nova Scotia to see it.
View Quote
No that was me, my horse had just won at Saratoga, I was in a festive mood.

I think there's a song about it . . .
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Hard to believe he wasn't warned about damage to his eyes
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is hilarious to me is all the warnings going around about "Dont let your pets out during the eclipse".

Duh. Now why would they be looking at the sun then any more than any other time? The only reason humans are looking at it is because they know there is an eclipse.  Do you just stare at the sun on any other day?

To an animal, it will be just like any other day, if it is bright (and it will be even during most of the eclipse), they ain't gonna look.
View Quote
Yeah,I was surprised by a couple people posting that nonsense that I always assumed had more common snense than that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Just a normal day around here. The Arfcommer in this picture is selling pencils downtown now though.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The solar paper glasses are selling for around 35 bucks a pop here.  We are in the totality area.
View Quote
We bought 3 pairs for the kids on Saturday at Ace for $1.99.  I almost became a neckbeard!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just a normal day around here. The Arfcommer in this picture is selling pencils downtown now though.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136/Pinhole-286177.jpg
View Quote
LOL no fucks given by that guy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Did they ever ask how much he masterbated?

Cause the whole blindness thing might not be related to the sun.

Just sayin.

There's so much other bullshit out there right now, it could be just as plausible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#34]
This is going to start the zombie apocalypse! Mark my words you only have a few more hours!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Jack: Where the hell can I get eyes like that?

Riddick: Gotta kill a few people.

Jack: 'Kay, I can do it.

Riddick: Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.

Jack: So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?

Riddick: Exactly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top