Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind, need to post a Simpsons picture.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

WOW.  His finger was in front of the cylinder and it blew his finger off?  Never knew that could happen.

When you're shooting the big calibers like the 460, 480, 500, etc. there's IMMENSE pressure from the front of the cylinder, as it's not sealed.

It would be similar to putting your hand over a compensator on a 1911 or the like.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, should have worked with the litigant in question here ... we might have had a chance if it was a class action

Just kidding of course, and that's my thumb pictured above.  Still hurts looking at it.  The difference is I quickly realized it was my own damn fault for making the mistake, and as such took full responsibility.  I didn't try to capitalize on my own mistake.  However, it would have been nice to learn the lesson with a 38 Special instead!  But then again, my 'freak thumb' as my daughter calls it is a great conversation starter.

How's everything going with that?  Things heal up as well as could be expected?

Yea, as well as could be expected ... Doc kept pushing for surgery but I wanted to let it heal on it's own which turned out to be a good decision.  It looks funny, but works fine.  The tip is still awfully sensitive, but no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, should have worked with the litigant in question here ... we might have had a chance if it was a class action

Just kidding of course, and that's my thumb pictured above.  Still hurts looking at it.  The difference is I quickly realized it was my own damn fault for making the mistake, and as such took full responsibility.  I didn't try to capitalize on my own mistake.  However, it would have been nice to learn the lesson with a 38 Special instead!  But then again, my 'freak thumb' as my daughter calls it is a great conversation starter.

How's everything going with that?  Things heal up as well as could be expected?

Yea, as well as could be expected ... Doc kept pushing for surgery but I wanted to let it heal on it's own which turned out to be a good decision.  It looks funny, but works fine.  The tip is still awfully sensitive, but no big deal.

That's pretty good news.  Looking at the pic I'm surprised the outcome wasn't any worse.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WOW.  His finger was in front of the cylinder and it blew his finger off?  Never knew that could happen.

The cylinder gap results in lots of vented gases.

If you read the owner's manual, it mentions not to put your hand there.  You read the manual, right?  Riggghhhttt????  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202434856335&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Man let his finger get in front of the cylinder on a S&W 460 and lost a rather large chunk of offending finger. Sued S&W for making a dangerous product, judge ruled in favor of S&W.

But Louisville Slugger loses a suit when a ball hit by one of their aluminum bats hits the pitcher in the head and kills him. Go figure. Should have been
2-0 for the Defendants.

J-

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202434856335&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Man let his finger get in front of the cylinder on a S&W 460 and lost a rather large chunk of offending finger. Sued S&W for making a dangerous product, judge ruled in favor of S&W.

But Louisville Slugger loses a suit when a ball hit by one of their aluminum bats hits the pitcher in the head and kills him. Go figure. Should have been
2-0 for the Defendants.

J-

I agree with what the Slugger cae outcome should have been, but wasn't that suit over Louisville Slugger's lack of warnings regarding the bat? Keep in mind the potential for injury with the .460, as well as nearly every revolver on the market right down to .22 LR, is addressed with warnings to keep all body parts away from the cylinder gap. Ruger has gone one farther and put warnings on the gun, as has Mossberg, but all new firearms come with a manual that should be read, right? The warnings are in there. Not to defend the jury in the bat case but the bat had no warnings at all. Different issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah but some bitch sues Mcdonald's for selling Hot Coffey and wins

cause McD is the Wal-mart of fast food so they are greedy capitalist running dogs

There was a lot more to that story than just her spilling coffee on herself. IIRC it was something about McDonald's keeping their coffee at a temp that was near boiling and McDonald's had been warned prior to the incident to lower the temp. The burns she received from the incident were pretty horrible. Memory is a bit foggy on some parts, but I seem to remember her asking McDonald's for only medical payments and they told her to pound sand, so they ended up paying out way more than they would have.

It's been a while since I looked up all the info on the incident, but IMO McDonald's got what they deserved for dicking around.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2-0 for the Defendants.

J-

I agree with what the Slugger cae outcome should have been, but wasn't that suit over Louisville Slugger's lack of warnings regarding the bat? Keep in mind the potential for injury with the .460, as well as nearly every revolver on the market right down to .22 LR, is addressed with warnings to keep all body parts away from the cylinder gap. Ruger has gone one farther and put warnings on the gun, as has Mossberg, but all new firearms come with a manual that should be read, right? The warnings are in there. Not to defend the jury in the bat case but the bat had no warnings at all. Different issue.

why should people need warnings??? WARNING! this bat may hurt you if you get hit with it WARNING! this chain saw will cut your leg off! WARNING! do not pee in toaster!  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God bless America!

DURR HURR HURR I'M A FUCKING IDIOT THAT BLEW MY OWN FINGER OFF!! TIME TO SUE!!!

Glad he lost. Hope he dies.

You're not someone we need on this site.

HH

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2-0 for the Defendants.

J-

why should people need warnings??? WARNING! this bat may hurt you if you get hit with it WARNING! this chain saw will cut your leg off! WARNING! do not pee in toaster!    

I wasn't saying we need warnings, only that HAVING a warning to cover this exact issue probably saved S&W's ass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2-0 for the Defendants.

J-

I wasn't saying we need warnings, only that HAVING a warning to cover this exact issue probably saved S&W's ass.

S&W really did provide adequate warning.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dangerous product? Right.  I have never had this problem with my 460 and I have put quite a few rounds through it. I am going to go out on a limb here and say the judge was right, it wasn't S&W's fault.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
.460 are fun, love the 200 gr. rds at over 2300 fps
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you're shooting the big calibers like the 460, 480, 500, etc. there's IMMENSE pressure from the front of the cylinder, as it's not sealed.  

It would be similar to putting your hand over a compensator on a 1911 or the like.

Shit, a .44 mag or smaller can do it too. A membr here posted test he did on youtube using hotdogs and Polish sausage as standins for fingers with nearly the same result-severe damage if not entire removal, and that was with light(factory level, not nuclear handloads) .44 loads.A friend of mine blew the tip off the thumb of a glove with a .357. A glove is tougher than human skin, so even a .357 will slice through a thumb deeply enough for stitches to be required, even if it doesn't take the digit off. It just happens easier with the big stuff because of the much higher pressure. I read somewhere the .460 runs 20,000 psi more than .44 magnum. if true that sort of puts things into perspective. .44 magnum is too much gun for a LOT of shooters, and definitely as big as I have a use for in a handgun. When there's that much more power, impressive things happen-both intended and unintended.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You know you better watch your ass when the description says this:

Lighter Loads That The 460 Will Also Fire Include .45 Colt and .454 Casull

Oh dip!
The 454 Casull is a "pussy" load compared to the .460 Eee-hee -hee-hee
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I saved some girl from doing that last time I was at the range.

This idiot was shooting a .44 revolver sideways like a ghetto gangster,showing off in front of his girlfriend.He was preparing to show her how to shoot the gun,but it was way too big in her hands.She decides to hold it with 2 hands,just like the way you're NOT supposed to hold it.

He backs off and shouts "GO AHEAD"

I yelled "STOP",and this guy gets all stupid about me yelling at his girl.He didn't try anything on me,as he knew I would have twisted him into a pretzel,but he had no clue what was going until I calmly explained to his girl what would have happened if she pulled the trigger.This guy didn't even thank me for saving his girls fingers,and went ahead and tried to get her to shoot the gun.

She would have nothing to do with shooting after that,and went and sat in the car all shook-up.Me and my friends just watched him pack-up and leave.This jerk-off even flipped us the bird on the way out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I saved some girl from doing that last time I was at the range.

This idiot was shooting a .44 revolver sideways like a ghetto gangster,showing off in front of his girlfriend.He was preparing to show her how to shoot the gun,but it was way too big in her hands.She decides to hold it with 2 hands,just like the way you're NOT supposed to hold it.

He backs off and shouts "GO AHEAD"

I yelled "STOP",and this guy gets all stupid about me yelling at his girl.He didn't try anything on me,as he knew I would have twisted him into a pretzel,but he had no clue what was going until I calmly explained to his girl what would have happened if she pulled the trigger.This guy didn't even thank me for saving his girls fingers,and went ahead and tried to get her to shoot the gun.

She would have nothing to do with shooting after that,and went and sat in the car all shook-up.Me and my friends just watched him pack-up and leave.This jerk-off even flipped us the bird on the way out.

if only he knew what a cock block losing fingers would be...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
A year ago I bought a Barrett 82 from CDNN and had it shipped to my local shop. I took it out o the range outside the Downs and laid in the bed of my truck to pump a mag through it. I lost my back window, a passenger window as well for some reason. Big guns require big brains. I sold the Barrett and never blamed anybody but my own dumbass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yeah but some bitch sues Mcdonald's for selling Hot Coffey and wins

She didn't win.

Also, fuck this guy, he should have to play restitution to S&W for all the money he wasted.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I fired a ruger blackhawk (.357mag) for my first revolver.

I had my hand close to the wrong position once and learned a lesson

I learned a lesson with a Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, not matter how cool fanning the hammer for rapid fire looks on tv it isn't very safe in real life, especially with hot loads
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top