Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But at her Uncle's at 3:30AM?  
It should definitely be out of the norm, and I can see at that time how an accident like that could happen.  Very sad deal for the family.  

How is it an accident?
He pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.  Sounds like things worked just like they were supposed to.

BECAUSE HE PROBABLY WASN'T INTENDING TO SHOOT HIS TWENTY-FOUR FUCKING YEAR OLD COLLEGE FUCKING GRADUATE NIECE

Type in all caps if you like.  I still say it was no accident.  At this point I would also not call it negligent.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But at her Uncle's at 3:30AM?  
It should definitely be out of the norm, and I can see at that time how an accident like that could happen.  Very sad deal for the family.  

How is it an accident?
He pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.  Sounds like things worked just like they were supposed to.

BECAUSE HE PROBABLY WASN'T INTENDING TO SHOOT HIS TWENTY-FOUR FUCKING YEAR OLD COLLEGE FUCKING GRADUATE NIECE

This.  He in all likelihood he failed to IDENTIFY his target, not locate and engage it.  

Locating and identifying are not the same things.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

His only rule was that I don't wake him up.

Maybe this Uncle had the same rule.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still man, family is family.

And even if they are a junky(family) you don't freaking shoot them.

I personally would send this guy to jail, but hey.

Under what law violation?
Either you can defend yourself and family or you can't.  He did.

So many talk about and want to have "castle Doctrine" laws in their States and most States I believe have such laws.  I believe they are good laws and should be the law in every State.  Guessing the Uncle feels bad about it.  Most likely wishes it had not happened. Facts will likely come out so we will know just what happened but prosecute him?  I think not.

I agree the guy shouldn't go to jail.  That doesn't mean what he did was smart, or the best course of action, or that he shouldn't have used a light.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Locating and identifying are not the same things.

But still there are people here saying "she deserved it" and "it's her own fault, she was stupid" and even saying she must've been on drugs. Some of you are embarrassing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Weapon lights, how do they work?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was she mistaken for an intruder, or was she an intruder that he happened to be related to?  That's the key question.

Still man, family is family.

And even if they are a junky(family) you don't freaking shoot them.

I personally would send this guy to jail, but hey.

You must not be related to any real criminal types.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My mother was out of town and supposed to be back on a Sunday afternoon. She decided to come home Saturday night at around Midnight...........I unlike the guy in the article know target recognition is important in the real world. However she did call before coming home unexpectedly after that. It was her house and I was living there but regardless she should have known better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The guy is a dumbass.

Probably slept with his weapon under the pillow jumped up all groggy and started shooting.
Indentifying your target is a primary rule.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there. But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

It's just FOUR FUCKIN' RULES! How hard is that?

That's where I'm sittin'. Evidently it's difficult for some folks. There are a lot of stupid people in this world. We have usurped natural selection for a long time. This increases that number.

This is a prime example of a simple situation going to hell because someone didn't bother to know what the fuck they were doing before they started playing with dangerous instruments.

This is why I shake my head at the shooters who poo poo training stating that," I've been shooting since I was blah blah blah...I'm not paying some instructor to show me what I already blah blah blah.".

TRAINING AND PRACTICE. It's not only your life they might save.

Yup

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there.  But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

It's just FOUR FUCKIN' RULES!  How hard is that?

Tell that to all the people on the site who insist that using a white light isn't necessary when you think there's an intruder in your house.

You don't need no fkn light.

I know my house, I can walk through it in the dark without hitting anything. Strangers don't know my house.

A home owner walking through his house with a freakin light is saying here I am...come hurt me.

The need a light mentality, comes from LE and military, when they kick in doors of buildings they are unfamiliar with.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess target recognition went out the window huh?

He hit the target and neutralized it.  I would say he identified his target just fine.  Are you saying you would need to identify someone before you shoot them?  Not by name or anything but "OK that is an 18 year old male'' Bang!  Oh crap that is a 14 year old male I think I will not shoot.  Shit that is a 30 year old crack head Bang!  

Someone who does not live in your house breaks in at 0300 and I believe you are justified in shooting them (of course as long as you are in fear for your life of your families lives.

Abso FKN lutely!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Know your target BEFORE you shoot....You don't shoot at shadows in the dark. Very sad outcome and I feel for the family.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
its either a good shoot or it isnt-shooting a relative, coming home at night is not a good shoot  

if this guy was a cop, and he used his departmental weapon, he would be fired from my police force in a mininmal amount of time...some of you justifying this as a good shoot, I guess would agree that if this dope was an off duty police officer, he should face no disciplinary action and you would be fine with him on the job lol?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]
What a sad story.

Our family place out in the country has been a 24/7 come and go "at will" for 25yrs now.  Kids,
siblings, friends...pretty much all of us show-up whenever because of work/school schedules.  It's not
uncommon to have one of the youngsters come home at 3am (After working a swing shift and studying
a couple of hours) to crash on the couch for a bit before getting up and visiting with Mom and dad.

The difference with us though (I guess) is that the dogs let us know when it's not one of the regulars
AND, from the time you pull into the driveway you're hit with lights and have to get through three gates.

Damn shame.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there.  But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

Tell that to all the people on the site who insist that using a white light isn't necessary when you think there's an intruder in your house.

I know my house, I can walk through it in the dark without hitting anything. Strangers don't know my house.

A home owner walking through his house with a freakin light is saying here I am...come hurt me.

The need a light mentality, comes from LE and military, when they kick in doors of buildings they are unfamiliar with.

And like this guy you end up killing someone you haven't ID'd as a threat.

Good plan.  

You NEED a light to do it right...but if you are just going to blast anything and everything you think might be a threat with no concern for target ID, carry on with your original plan.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Although the odds of a person "legitimately" gaining entrance to your domicile at zero dark thirty are freaking low as hell, there is the odd chance it can happen with no ill intent.

A light to identify an intruder can save the day.   You could be shocked to find that the intruder is your daughter who came home after a fight at her house, a teenage son working several hours longer than planned, heck even a firefighter because smoke is pouring out of your garage.  

It's your duty to do your everloving best to not shoot those that are not a threat.  You might get though court explaining that you thought it was a burglar but in the end does it matter if you shot your intoxicated college aged son?  

Get a clue people.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Should of had one...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

What a bunch of blustering, chest-thumping bullshit.  Tell that to your family and the police after you kill one of your children due to misidentification...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#21]
that sucks - I could not imagine shooting somebody in my own family

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Bama, I think you posted a similar story about a year ago, also a niece who came in the middle of the night and was killed.
tragedy, can't imagine what the family is going through.

Maybe pays to have an alarm system in the house, it would have warned the uncle maybe with more time to understand the situtation, forced the niece to call ahead, or at least punch in the code.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Newspaper failure is fail.

Was the niece a resident?

Was the niece a burglar?

Was the shooter living with family, to include niece?

Simply not enough news in the story to form an opinion.

Bullshit there is a clear opinion available.  GUNS ARE BAD!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#24]
wow amazed at some of the comments, here.

This was an accident, a tragedy.

IIf you like to shoot at shadows, chances you may occasionally hit a family memer

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm placing my bet on incest, with her expressing some post-coital regret and intent to 'tell'.  Uncle snuffed her and concocted 'tragic intruder' story.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top