BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I started mining over the summer.. When I started they were about $90 bucks each now they are up to about $190 each.. my miners net me about 4 bucks a day..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use the money to buy gift cards then mail them to the US

Fuck that, pay the 25% and enjoy the windfall.

Goddamnit.. I KNEW i should have gotten in on that shit back in the early days. I didn't see it going anywhere though.

FUCK!

How do you know it's too late?

Serious question.  What's to prevent a Bitcoin from being worth $5000 one day?  There will only ever be 21 million of them tops so there is a built in deflationary bias if the currency continues to gain acceptance.  If Bitcoins ever represented even just a percent or two of global liquidity, a coin could be worth tens of thousands or more.

I don't have any, but it's an interesting question worth thinking about.  The whole thing could blow up too, who knows.

I started mining over the summer.. When I started they were about $90 bucks each now they are up to about $190 each.. my miners net me about 4 bucks a day..

Mining? Is it a game?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mining? Is it a game?
View Quote

nope. its a program that cracks codes. a lot like the old SETI program, but for solving you get BTC. just turn it on and let it go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mining? Is it a game?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use the money to buy gift cards then mail them to the US

Fuck that, pay the 25% and enjoy the windfall.

Goddamnit.. I KNEW i should have gotten in on that shit back in the early days. I didn't see it going anywhere though.

FUCK!

Serious question.  What's to prevent a Bitcoin from being worth $5000 one day?  There will only ever be 21 million of them tops so there is a built in deflationary bias if the currency continues to gain acceptance.  If Bitcoins ever represented even just a percent or two of global liquidity, a coin could be worth tens of thousands or more.

I don't have any, but it's an interesting question worth thinking about.  The whole thing could blow up too, who knows.

Mining? Is it a game?

People spend from $500 to $20,000 on hardware that has massive GPUs meant to figure equations and "mine" these. That's on top of the power cost.

In the gold rush, the people who made the most money were not those who looked for gold, but those who sold shovels.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

People spend from $500 to $20,000 on hardware that has massive GPUs meant to figure equations and "mine" these. That's on top of the power cost.

In the gold rush, the people who made the most money were not those who looked for gold, but those who sold shovels.
View Quote

but the guys that sell the shovels use the shovels for 2 months before selling.. Driving up the difficulty.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

wtf is a bitcoin?
View Quote

black magic.

It's a new currency from the Fed. They're trying to use it to wean Americans off the dollar, since it's almost worthless from "quantitative easing."

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Serious question.  What's to prevent a Bitcoin from being worth $5000 one day?

View Quote

It's just getting started.

The Chinese just got into it about 2 weeks ago, and it has almost doubled in price.

What's even cooler... the developers of BTC can build in new features into the software as time goes on. And each BTC is divisible to 1/100,000,000 each. So, you can trade milliBTC and microBTC if the going rate is like $50,000 per coin or something.

This could change the way we look at currency forever. It's literally history in the making.

It's almost like looking at the very personal first computer and wondering what could be done with it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
So 'bitcoin' is some internet token things that some people will actually pay real money for?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I can envision a world where the liquidity needs of these markets will greatly exceed $10 Billion.  There are currently $1,170 Billion worth of Federal Reserve Notes in circulation if you need some context.

I can also envision a world where this currency fails and becomes worthless.

View Quote

If BTC was $1,000,000 each, then the minimum you could trade would be $0.01, since it's divisible down to 1/100,000,000. The developers say they can even make it smaller if necessary...  One day we might be trading mBTC or µBTC with little difference vs what we do now.

It could fail. It's definitely possible, but it's been proven that for someone to affect the network at this time, it would take more computing power than all 5 of the world's most powerful supercomputers all at once. It can technically be done, but the chances of it happening are so small. Plus, the more powerful mining gets, the difficulty will continue to rise.

Personally, I think there will be competitor currencies come out of the open source code, and BTC will constantly try to keep up with upgrades and whatnot.

These are interesting times for sure.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What a great idea...

Shit, I'd do it if I knew a little more about it.

I know there are people in person in some cities (san antonio, Austin, DFW etc) who will trade BTC for dollars in person.   Not sure about the security of doing it that way BUYING the BTC in person, but selling... sure.   Physical dollars in my hand is cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bitcoins arent anonymous technically. A professor from my alma mater did a paper on cracking the transactions and tracking them if I remember right.

all transactions are on the ledger. you can see where everything comes and goes. You can see the wallets, just not the name thats tied to it.

I.E. 1Andy2 telle me has got brass for sale and will take BTC. Im like groove I have a few extra. so i get his address (which looks like a string of number and letters). I put that in to my wallet and send him some BTC. in a short time frame he gets his BTC sent form me to him. in the master ledger it shows my address sending to 1Andy2's address and how many BTC. You can do a search for his address and can see all the in and outs for it. BUT a wallet can have multiple address and you are to use a new address for each transaction to be semi secret.

What a great idea...

I know there are people in person in some cities (san antonio, Austin, DFW etc) who will trade BTC for dollars in person.   Not sure about the security of doing it that way BUYING the BTC in person, but selling... sure.   Physical dollars in my hand is cool.

I'll sell BTC in person. I'm in Charlottesville, VA - but my office in Xamar might be closer for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Without Silk Road, wtf is the point?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If BTC was $1,000,000 each, then the minimum you could trade would be $0.01, since it's divisible down to 1/100,000,000. The developers say they can even make it smaller if necessary...  One day we might be trading mBTC or µBTC with little difference vs what we do now.

It could fail. It's definitely possible, but it's been proven that for someone to affect the network at this time, it would take more computing power than all 5 of the world's most powerful supercomputers all at once. It can technically be done, but the chances of it happening are so small. Plus, the more powerful mining gets, the difficulty will continue to rise.

Personally, I think there will be competitor currencies come out of the open source code, and BTC will constantly try to keep up with upgrades and whatnot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can envision a world where the liquidity needs of these markets will greatly exceed $10 Billion.  There are currently $1,170 Billion worth of Federal Reserve Notes in circulation if you need some context.

I can also envision a world where this currency fails and becomes worthless.

There are already competitors. Litecoin and Namecoin are two of the biggest - Litecoin is just Bitcoin with a different hash algorithm, which is designed to prevent the custom-hardware monopolization of mining we have in Bitcoin. Namecoin is designed to serve as a distributed backbone for domain name creation and maintenance, on top of a Bitcoin-like block chain.

I have some holding in Litecoin just in case, but I don't expect it to overtake Bitcoin in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So 'bitcoin' is some internet token things that some people will actually pay real money for?
View Quote

Oh boy.

Okay. It's like this...   You own a company in NYC and need to send $10M to Hong Kong or Tokyo or London. How would you do it right now? You would probably wire transfer it, right? That takes time for it to be deposited and confirmed. Bitcoin transfers within 10 seconds, and it's confirmed within 10 minutes max.

Ok now, you are going to Germany or London for vacation. You need Euros and Pounds like pronto because your flight is this evening. You going to take travelers checks? hell no!  Just buy some bitcoins with dollars, selll them for euros or pounds within 30 seconds, then go to the bank once you fly in and use your debit card to withdraw your euros or pounds. All transactions confirm in 10 minutes.

Transaction costs are almost $0 (maybe a few pennies) unless you are transferring very small amounts.

Now, let's say you own a business, and you're sick of getting raped by visa and mastercard fees. You can accept Bitcoins right now for your products for pennies. Bitpay charges 1% at the moment if you use them, but they're changing their structure in a few weeks to a new model.

Picture them as encrypted internet tokens that you can send to anyone anywhere in the world within 15 seconds, and confirmed within 10 mins.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, there are legitimate vendors, too.. There are also a dozen or so darknet marketplaces out there that are at least equal in size to SR when taken in aggregate.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, there are legitimate vendors, too.. There are also a dozen or so darknet marketplaces out there that are at least equal in size to SR when taken in aggregate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that if you search for "local vendors" right now, you're not going to get a list of respectable offices, but odd usernames of anonymous people in sketchy areas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll sell BTC in person. I'm in Charlottesville, VA - but my office in Xamar might be closer for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bitcoins arent anonymous technically. A professor from my alma mater did a paper on cracking the transactions and tracking them if I remember right.

all transactions are on the ledger. you can see where everything comes and goes. You can see the wallets, just not the name thats tied to it.

I.E. 1Andy2 telle me has got brass for sale and will take BTC. Im like groove I have a few extra. so i get his address (which looks like a string of number and letters). I put that in to my wallet and send him some BTC. in a short time frame he gets his BTC sent form me to him. in the master ledger it shows my address sending to 1Andy2's address and how many BTC. You can do a search for his address and can see all the in and outs for it. BUT a wallet can have multiple address and you are to use a new address for each transaction to be semi secret.

What a great idea...

How many BTC will you give me for a virgin goat?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a great idea...

10 mXBT for a virgin goat.

I'll give you 8 mXBT for a used goat, as long as you wash it out first.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The problem is that if you search for "local vendors" right now, you're not going to get a list of respectable offices, but odd usernames of anonymous people in sketchy areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey. I resemble that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There are already competitors. Litecoin and Namecoin are two of the biggest - Litecoin is just Bitcoin with a different hash algorithm, which is designed to prevent the custom-hardware monopolization of mining we have in Bitcoin. Namecoin is designed to serve as a distributed backbone for domain name creation and maintenance, on top of a Bitcoin-like block chain.

I have some holding in Litecoin just in case, but I don't expect it to overtake Bitcoin in the near future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew about them, but they haven't taken off as much. I personally REALLY like the idea behind litecoin, since it's made for GPUs instead of the ASIC hardware. I have absolutely no idea about namecoin right now.. I've only been in this a couple of months. From what you said, it sounds like you would purchase Namecoin with BTC to buy domain name services?

Have you heard about the founder of MtGox creating the Ripple network? I haven't really looked into it yet, but they have an exchange running.

It's going to be interesting to see what people come up with.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I knew about them, but they haven't taken off as much. I personally REALLY like the idea behind litecoin, since it's made for GPUs instead of the ASIC hardware. I have absolutely no idea about namecoin right now.. I've only been in this a couple of months. From what you said, it sounds like you would purchase Namecoin with BTC to buy domain name services?

Have you heard about the founder of MtGox creating the Ripple network? I haven't really looked into it yet, but they have an exchange running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand all of the fundamentals of Ripple, but I believe it's debt-based. That's enough to kill my interest.

Litecoin has tracked BItcoin fairly well - many miners that were mining XBT with non-custom hardware have moved to mining Litecoin and selling their award for Bitcoin. The fact that the price has survived that is... interesting, to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#20]
so how does one go about buying then selling said bitcoins? Is it all online. Liek example the bottom drops you buy they for 50each and it goes back to 100 can i then just sell them and get the $$$. Can it be done fast enough before it were to drop back down?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so how does one go about buying then selling said bitcoins? Is it all online. Liek example the bottom drops you buy they for 50each and it goes back to 100 can i then just sell them and get the $$$. Can it be done fast enough before it were to drop back down?
View Quote

yes.. go to MtGox.. you can day trade till your hearts content.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don'y go to MtGox. They are having trouble transferring out USD because of issues with the banking world.

Bitstamp is your best option for day trading, or maybe BTC-e.

If all you want to do is buy some Bitcoin to hold on to, Coinbase is the best in the business.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If all you want to do is buy some Bitcoin to hold on to, Coinbase is the best in the business.
View Quote

Can you buy in at BTC-e, transfer to a MtGox wallet, then sell for the arbitrage... then transfer your dollars to BTC-e?  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool thanks i doubt ill ever do anything but in case the btm drops out  1 day or something lol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don'y go to MtGox. They are having trouble transferring out USD because of issues with the banking world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MtG is still having payment issues?

I wish 50BTC would get the pool amounts fixed so I can my coins out of there..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you buy in at BTC-e, transfer to a MtGox wallet, then sell for the arbitrage... then transfer your dollars to BTC-e?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's transferring dollars out of Gox that's the issue. Euros, however, don't seem to be a problem. If you had a SEPA-enabled bank account denominated in Euros, you might be able to make some money through arbitrage, yes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

cool thanks i doubt ill ever do anything but in case the btm drops out  1 day or something lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're only interested, go to Coinbase.com and get an account set up. Verify your bank account, and be ready to buy.

The last time there was a flash crash, the backlog for new accounts was days or weeks long.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i liek that site better has real time market.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you're only interested, go to Coinbase.com and get an account set up. Verify your bank account, and be ready to buy.

The last time there was a flash crash, the backlog for new accounts was days or weeks long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

does that login work with other sites like bitstamp? or would i have to sign up that particular site? I'de like to have a ready to go acct in case of a flash crash seems like something you can make some easy money at if you catch it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Beanie Babies
View Quote

I worked with a guy who was "investing" in those to finance his young daughter's college education.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

does that login work with other sites like bitstamp? or would i have to sign up that particular site? I'de like to have a ready to go acct in case of a flash crash seems like something you can make some easy money at if you catch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an independent company that, much like PayPal, has to verify with your bank account via the deposit/debit method.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's actually really cool.

I'd fly out to the ATMs that just got installed and cash the fuck out.
View Quote

Yes.  an excellent time to " cash out ".
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#33]
What happens when world-wide daily power consumption for mining outweighs the value of bitcoin mined in a day?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Seriously.  I will never understand why people go to the press with things like this.
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What happens when world-wide daily power consumption for mining outweighs the value of bitcoin mined in a day?
View Quote

Then miners will collect a very small fee for performing transfers. They already do that now with very small BTC transfers.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think everyone mining bitcoins is capable of doing the math on how much they're making per kWh expended.

When it costs more in electricity than you can make mining, people will stop.   When the price of BTC gets high enough to show a profit again, people will start mining it again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I worked with a guy who was "investing" in those to finance his young daughter's college education.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

How many did it take to finance Harvard?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hey. I resemble that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey. I resemble that.
Oi!  The whole thing that made bitcoins cool was the ability to buy shady products from anonymous people in sketchy places.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#39]
i found 1000 223 and 100 50bmg in the basement i didnt know i had...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
How many machines do you have mining a day?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I would immediately turn every cent of that into gold, copper, lead, brass and powder.  Meh, maybe a few bucks worth of good food, too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why? Cash out that unstable as fuck currency and put it in something tangable, or at least government backed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I were him, that wallet would be my new biggest secret.

Why? Cash out that unstable as fuck currency and put it in something tangable, or at least government backed.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]
good luck getting 800,000 in real world assets out of that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Just registered at coinbase....ready to buy.

Is there an app or something where I can watch the current cost of a bit coin?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#45]
So if his initial investment grew that much in only 4 years doesn't that mean 100's or 1,000's of other bicoin holders "investments" grew that much as well?

I'm so confused with this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So if his initial investment grew that much in only 4 years doesn't that mean 100's or 1,000's of other bicoin holders "investments" grew that much as well?

I'm so confused with this stuff.
View Quote

Yes, think of it like buying a stock for pennies per share and then having that stock go to $200+ in 4 years
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're running 16Ghs over and above electricity costs -or are you excluding electricity?

What have you got, two blades? Or a pair of updated Jalapenos?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, it could only be determined to be "statistically probable" though. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#49]
This makes me want to search old HD's for lost treasure.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My SIL bought so many of those...must have spent a fortune.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why can't I ever find something I lost only to find out it's worth $$$ now.

Only thing I'm losing lately is my sanity

Beanie Babies

Lol I just returned a garbage bag full of those things in display cases to my ex.

Beanie babies... lol

My SIL bought so many of those...must have spent a fortune.

Now there are tubs and boxes of them at half of the yard sales I go to .....usually less than a buck apiece

Havent seen a Cabbage Patch Kid in forever though

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top