Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
In an F-4 ,either crewmember can initiate the ejection sequence (back,then front) for both crewmembers, or eject separately.  Safety pins are installed for ground use only, and are to be removed before flight. You don't want to be screwing around with the pins when it is time to go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like someone wasn't paying attention during the preflight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Must have been in a bad relationship and decided that was as good a time as any!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Easily the ultimate WTF moment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well he got the ride of a lifetime, those seats are pricey though!  

There have been many USAF personnel on "incentive rides" in F-16s who've ended up punching out after engine failure.  At least one was into the North Atlantic, that had to suck.  For anybody getting a ride, pay close attention to the ejection seat training.  

I got a ride...over the Arizona desert. No ejection was necessary, thank God.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1118/f14g.jpg

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/issues/marapr04/IveLostMyRIO.htm

I've Lost My RIO

by Lt. Geoff Vickers
My squadron and air wing were detached to NAS Fallon, Nevada, for strike training. Most of us attended lectures all day, but I was tasked with giving the battle-group-air-warfare commander an orientation flight in the F-14D. As skipper of the cruiser in charge of the battle group's air defenses, he had been spending time with the air wing to better understand how we conduct our missions. He had observed a number of the strike events through the tactical-air-combat-training system (TACTS) replays, and he had flown with the E-2C and EA-6B squadrons. He was proud that the Prowler guys hadn't been able to make him sick.

My job was to demonstrate the Tomcat's performance and tactical capabilities. Though this flight was my first without a qualified radar-intercept officer (RIO) in the back seat, I had flown with a number of aviators who had very little Tomcat experience.

The captain arrived at the squadron a half-hour before the brief to receive his cockpit-orientation lecture and ejection-seat checkout. Once in the ready room, we briefed the flight with our wingman. I covered the administrative and tactical procedures in accordance with our squadron's standard-operating procedures (SOP).

I told the captain that after the G-awareness maneuver, we would do a quick inverted check to verify cockpit security. Looking back, I should have recognized his anxiety when he mocked me and said, "Just a quick inverted check?" then laughed. I didn't realize hanging upside down with nothing but glass and 11,000 feet of air separating you from the desert floor might not be the most comfortable situation in the world for a surface-warfare officer.

I continued the brief and told the captain we would do a performance demo and a couple of intercepts, followed by tanking from an S-3. I told him if, at any point, he felt uncomfortable, we would stop whatever we were doing, roll wings level, and take it easy. I was determined to avoid the temptation to intentionally make him sick and uncomfortable.

The start, taxi, and takeoff were normal. We joined with our lead and did the standard clean-and-dry checks. We pressed into the working area and assumed a defensive combat-spread formation in preparation for the G-warm. I told him what was happening, and he seemed to remember the sequence of events from the brief. After we completed the checks, I asked him, "Are you ready for the inverted check? Do you have everything stowed?"

"All set" was the last thing I heard him say.

I checked the airspeed and confirmed it was above the 300 knots recommended to do the check, and I rolled the aircraft inverted. I decided not to really put on a lot of negative G and unloaded to about .3 to .5 negative G's-just enough to make anything float that wasn't stowed properly. If he was uncomfortable in such a benign maneuver, it would be better to find out then, rather than when we were racing toward the earth during a radar-missile defense.

As I started to push on the stick, I heard a loud pop, followed by a roar. The cockpit filled with smoke, and we suddenly lost cabin pressure. I first thought a catastrophic environmental-control system (ECS) had failed. I said to myself, "This is new. I've never even heard of something like this happening."

Time compression turned the next few seconds into an eternity. I knew the first thing I had to do was to roll the jet upright and assess the situation. About three seconds after the first indication of a problem, I had the jet upright and knew exactly what had happened.

I transmitted, "Lion 52. Emergency, my RIO just ejected."

I was yelling into the mic, thinking I would have to make all the calls in the blind. I never would have thought I easily could communicate with all the noise of flying at 320 knots without a canopy.

As I turned the jet to try and get a visual of my wayward passenger, Desert Control asked, "Understand your wingman ejected?"

"Negative, my RIO ejected. I'm still flying the plane."

"OK. Understand your RIO ejected. You're flying the plane, and you're OK?"

I almost said I was far from OK, but I just told them I was all right, except I was flying a convertible. I was relieved to see a good parachute below me, and I passed this info to Desert Control. Very quickly after the emergency call, an FA-18 pilot from the Naval Strike and Air-Warfare Center, who also was in the area, announced he would take over as the on-scene commander of the search-and-rescue (SAR) effort.

I told my wingman to pass the location of the captain because I could not change any of my displays. Once my wingman started to pass the location, I started dumping gas and put the needle on the nose back to NAS Fallon.

One of our air-wing SH-60s was in the area and responded, along with the station's UH-1N. The captain was recovered almost immediately and transported to the local hospital for treatment and evaluation.

The only F-14D boldface procedures for a canopy problem include placing the canopy handle in "boost close" position and then moving the command eject lever to "pilot." Obviously, the canopy already was gone, so that lever action didn't apply, and, if the command-eject lever wasn't already in "pilot," as briefed, I also would have been ejected.

I slowed the aircraft and lowered my seat because that's what I remembered from the rest of the steps in the checklist. However, after sitting at eye-level with my multi-function display for about 30 seconds, I thought it would be more prudent to see outside, so I raised my seat. Slowing the aircraft had little affect on the windblast, but, as long as I leaned forward, the wind hit only my shoulders. Because it was very cold at altitude, I decided to return quickly to base, but I needed to watch my airspeed since the ejection had occurred.

The PCL says to fly less than 200 knots and 15,000 feet and to complete a controllability check for the loss of the canopy, but I never pulled out my PCL to reference it. I figured with the way my day was going, I'd probably just drop my PCL down an intake and complicate my problems. In retrospect, I should have requested my wingman break out his checklist and talk me through the steps. Though this practice of having a wingman assist is common in single-seat communities, Tomcat crews tend to forget this coordination technique is a viable option.

I did consider the controllability check, and I directed my wingman to check for damage to the vertical stabilizers-she found none. The faster I got on deck, the faster I would get warm.

I slowed to approach speed in 10-knot increments at about 3,000 feet AGL and had no problems handling the jet. As I approached the field, I was surprised at how quiet it got. The noise was only slightly louder than the normal ECS roar in the Tomcat. I'll admit I felt silly saying the landing checklist over the ICS when no one else was in the cockpit, but I didn't want to risk breaking my standard habit patterns.

The landing was uneventful, and, when I pulled back into the line, I was surprised to find how many people had come out to see the spectacle. The magnitude of the situation finally set in when my skipper gave me a hug after I got out of the jet.

The captain and I were very fortunate: All of the ejection and aviation-life-support-systems (ALSS) equipment functioned as expected. Our PR1 had taken the time to properly fit the captain, using components from three different sets of flight gear. This action caused a problem after the mishap-getting everyone's gear replaced-but it renewed my faith in our escape systems. A 48-year-old man ejected from the jet when it was inverted, at negative .5 G's, at 320 knots, and the only injuries he had were two minor cuts to his face.

After talking to the captain at the O'Club later that night, I realized I better could have briefed elements of the flight. Though I covered all of the details, I didn't fully consider his perspective. He said he didn't know where to put his hands. Consequently, he just left them in loosely clenched fists on his lap, about two inches away from the ejection handle. It never occurred to me that someone would not know what to do with his hands. Obviously, I fly with the stick and throttle in my hands 95 percent of the flight, but I failed to consider his situation.

The mishap board surmised that, during the inverted maneuver, he must have flinched when he slightly rose out of the seat and pulled the ejection handle. Now, before any brief, I try to place myself in the other person's shoes (even if they are black shoes) and imagine what the flight will be like for him. Whether it is the person who never has flown a tactical aircraft before or just the nugget pilot who never has flown with NVGs, remembering what it was like when I was unfamiliar with the environment will prevent this type of mishap from recurring.

Oh shit that's funny ! Was that you flying or did you pull that story from someone else?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ejection handle must not be safety-pinned in that bird.

I also thought the ejection seat would be secured in a manner that would prevent a passenger in a demo flight from ejecting by accident or for shit and giggles. But I know jack shit about fighters.
Airplanes with ejection seats are equipped with them for a reason.  Under no circumstances do you go flying with an occupied seat that is "safed".  Believe it or not there are situations where that seat may need to be used to save their life, and you can't partially disable most seats, they work or they don't. If you can't be trusted to keep your dick beaters off the bang handle, you shouldn't be riding.  

A lot of the old Century series fighters (F-100 Super Sabre, F-105 Thunderchief, etc) had safety pins in the seats which remained in place during flight and had to be pulled prior to initiation of an actual ejection sequence.

Please excuse my absolute disbelief of that claim unless you have some documentation.  I worked F-4s and U-2s, both of which date from the same era as the century series and I promise you those pins all have "remove before flight" streamers attached for good reason.  In many (most even) cases, you have seconds to pull that handle/lever and don't want to be fiddle fucking around with pins and streamers.  

I agree. Having to pull a pin or pins before ejecting makes no sense at all.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I also thought the ejection seat would be secured in a manner that would prevent a passenger in a demo flight from ejecting by accident or for shit and giggles. But I know jack shit about fighters.
Airplanes with ejection seats are equipped with them for a reason.  Under no circumstances do you go flying with an occupied seat that is "safed".  Believe it or not there are situations where that seat may need to be used to save their life, and you can't partially disable most seats, they work or they don't. If you can't be trusted to keep your dick beaters off the bang handle, you shouldn't be riding.  

A lot of the old Century series fighters (F-100 Super Sabre, F-105 Thunderchief, etc) had safety pins in the seats which remained in place during flight and had to be pulled prior to initiation of an actual ejection sequence.

Please excuse my absolute disbelief of that claim unless you have some documentation.  I worked F-4s and U-2s, both of which date from the same era as the century series and I promise you those pins all have "remove before flight" streamers attached for good reason.  In many (most even) cases, you have seconds to pull that handle/lever and don't want to be fiddle fucking around with pins and streamers.  

Okay - back.

Had to go re-check something I read a few months ago.

You're right - I might be full of shit on this.

However, the reason I said that is because of this:

In March of 1967, USAF Captain Howard K. Williams (pilot) and Captain Brian Williams (back seater) were flying an F-100F Super Sabre (two seat variant) over the Route Package One area of North Vietnam, when they were hit by ground fire from enemy AAA.

After fighting for control for a short while, they realized they were going down, at which point Howard Williams gave the order to eject.

Brian Williams punched out.

Howard Williams did not.

It was suspected at the time that HE HAD FORGOTTEN TO REMOVE THE SAFETY PINS in his ejection seat, although that could never be confirmed.

My reference worded it in such a way that it made it sound like the pins WERE left in place during flight, to preclude anything from accidentally snagging on the handle and initiating an ejection uncommanded.

However, thinking about it some more, they might have just worded that poorly, and simply meant that Williams had forgotten to remove the pins before takeoff.

Source: BURY US UPSIDE DOWN by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd (Shepperd was a 100 pilot himself).

Discussions I had with a few of the old '105 drivers I knew led me to believe a pin or two might have been left in their seats as an in flight safety as well.  But my memory may be faulty on that point also.  It's been a lot of years.

So I concede the point to you, barring input from anyone else.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Individual ejection seats FTW.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh shit that's funny ! Was that you flying or did you pull that story from someone else?

Hell no!  I'm just a dumbass Air Force crew chief that remembers reading that article and laughing my ass off at it years ago.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Okay - back.

Had to go re-check something I read a few months ago.

You're right - I might be full of shit on this.

However, the reason I said that is because of this:

In March of 1967, USAF Captain Howard K. Williams (pilot) and Captain Brian Williams (back seater) were flying an F-100F Super Sabre (two seat variant) over the Route Package One area of North Vietnam, when they were hit by ground fire from enemy AAA.

After fighting for control for a short while, they realized they were going down, at which point Howard Williams gave the order to eject.

Brian Williams punched out.

Howard Williams did not.

It was suspected at the time that HE HAD FORGOTTEN TO REMOVE THE SAFETY PINS in his ejection seat, although that could never be confirmed.

My reference worded it in such a way that it made it sound like the pins WERE left in place during flight, to preclude anything from accidentally snagging on the handle and initiating an ejection uncommanded.

However, thinking about it some more, they might have just worded that poorly, and simply meant that Williams had forgotten to remove the pins before takeoff.

Source: BURY US UPSIDE DOWN by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd (Shepperd was a 100 pilot himself).

Discussions I had with a few of the old '105 drivers I knew led me to believe a pin or two might have been left in their seats as an in flight safety as well.  But my memory may be faulty on that point also.  It's been a lot of years.

So I concede the point to you, barring input from anyone else.

I can understand the confusion.  I'm sure there have been instances where pins/safety devices were forgotten or overlooked.  

The AF has greatly simplified our seats since the days of the Martin Baker widow maker, I'm sure partly for that reason.  The ACES II is vastly simpler to safe or arm than the old MB seats were/are.  Unfortunately we never retrofit our old aircraft with new seats, so MB seats will be flying as long as the BUFF is, at least.  

One nice thing about working heavies, is no more seats to worry about.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Individual ejection seats?  Or did the pilot also eject?

I got a ride in an F-4 back in the'70's. If I'm not mistaken, there was a selector switch on the right (or was it the left?) that allowed you to fire one or both seats.

2 seat F-15's have an eject mode selector handle on the right side rear seat console that has 3 different settings;

NORM - both seats are ejected when the escape sequence is started from the front cockpit, but only the rear seat is ejected if the escape sequence is started from rear cockpit. When the escape sequence has been initiated from rear cockpit in the NORM mode, the front seat ejects only when the front seat ejection control handle is pulled.

SOLO - is for flight with rear cockpit unoccupied and only front seat is ejected when the escape sequence is started.  This is so that there is no delay on the front seat ejecting since there is a 0.4 sec delay between each seat ejecting.

AFT INITIATE - both seats are ejected when the escape sequence is started from either cockpit

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
D'oh!!  

That must've  sucked.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
TAG

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Well he got the ride of a lifetime, those seats are pricey though!  

There have been many USAF personnel on "incentive rides" in F-16s who've ended up punching out after engine failure.  At least one was into the North Atlantic, that had to suck.  For anybody getting a ride, pay close attention to the ejection seat training.  

"Bottom line, if you see me trying to jump out of the plane - you should be able to figure out what's happening."

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I doubt anybody cares much, but A-6's were modified to allow command ejection in the early '90's.
Before that there was no option.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe he pulled a Gallagher...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
what's his screen name?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe he was having relationship issues.  

Last week I was wishing my couch had an ejection handle built into it... she kept talking and all I could think was.... "where is the fucking handle.....damn you ARFCOM"

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

We had a patch it a hanger roof from a mechanic that wasn't all that careful about securing the ejection seat before climbing in.

Some poor kid punched out of a plane on display at the Willow Grove air show a few years back too.

When stationed at Spangdahlem in the late 80's they told me during unit in-processing that at least one airman had committed suicide by ejecting into the ceiling of the TAB-V concrete aircraft shelters.

I think this was taken at Bitburg AB

Ouch!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I doubt anybody cares much, but A-6's were modified to allow command ejection in the early '90's.
Before that there was no option.

I don't know how many were retrofitted before they all got sent off to the boneyard.

I was a flight surgeon for a USMC A6-E squadron in the late '80's, and "pilot incapacitation" was a part of our pre-flight brief. (I flew in the B/N's seat when bagging flight time). The "approved" procedure was, if something bad happened i.e. bird strike, and the pilot looked to be incapacitated,the B/N would reach over and pound the pilot three times on the chest, to let him know, in case he was partly concious, that "I am leaving!" then eject. Same drill if the situation was reversed. This was if there was time, i.e. not at 500 feet AGL, 500 kts, and night.

Supposedly, in Viet Nam, some A6 crew tried heroic measures to save badly wounded crewmembers before ejecting. One method was to loop the hose from the O2 mask through the other guy's lower ejection handle, and yank, hopefully getting your arms out of the way before the seat launched.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said not my area of knowledge. I just assumed that there might be a concern with some of the Celebutards or POLS who get to ride in one of the planes fucking up and punching out by an act of gross stupidity. Then again I didn't think that a single seat would eject without activating the other either. Then see the part of my previous post that is highlighted in red. But, because of this thread I know more than I originally did.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#24]
i KNEW this would eventually happen... some one gets in goes ape shit and pulls the lever...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#26]
PC7 is a turboprop. Not a jet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#27]
laugh if you want, but think about how cool it might be to cop a free ride in an ejector seat from a moving plane.  the look on the pilot's face must have been priceless when he realized what happened
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#28]
you're doing it wrong
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've found throughout my life there is always that one guy (no matter where you are) that keep his dick skinners off of whatever you tell him not to touch.  

I think you a word out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#30]
this reminds me of the old movie

THE RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT with DON NOTTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_LDK0FAEM&feature=related

fast forward to 06:00 minutes
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/issues/marapr04/IveLostMyRIO.htm
I've Lost My RIO

by Lt. Geoff Vickers
My squadron and air wing were detached to NAS Fallon, Nevada, for strike training.   <SNIP>
remembering what it was like when I was unfamiliar with the environment will prevent this type of mishap from recurring.

Two part fail: One for quoting the entire article to ask a question that has nothing to do with the article, two for thinking that the OP is a Naval Officer and a pilot to boot.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#32]
As I started to push on the stick, I heard a loud pop, followed by a roar. The cockpit filled with smoke, and we suddenly lost cabin pressure. I first thought a catastrophic environmental-control system (ECS) had failed. I said to myself, "This is new. I've never even heard of something like this happening."

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Most Naval aircraft with ejection seats have switches that control the ejection seat sequence.

Single means that each crewmember initiates their own ejection, command eject means that one person (usally the pilot) has control of all the seats, meaning that when the switch is in command eject when the pilot pulls his ejection seat/head knocker handle and starts the ejection sequence it also fires the other seat / seats in sequence.

Command eject (on some aircraft) will set the seats so all the seats fire (in sequence) no matter who initiates the sequence.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#34]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

two for thinking that the OP is a Naval Officer and a pilot to boot.  

It's ok, I didn't let that bother me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ejections can be rough, right?

He was lucky to survive it.

About a 97% chance of survival, or at least it was with the USAF Martin-Bakers.

Pretty good odds, as long as you don't compress your spine by punching out under negative Gs.

I read something that says just the seat will pull 20G while ejecting.  It shot him up 320 feet from the aircraft.  That dudes pants must have been a mess.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ejections can be rough, right?

He was lucky to survive it.

About a 97% chance of survival, or at least it was with the USAF Martin-Bakers.

Pretty good odds, as long as you don't compress your spine by punching out under negative Gs.

I read something that says just the seat will pull 20G while ejecting.  It shot him up 320 feet from the aircraft.  That dudes pants must have been a mess.

Ejection is violent as hell, and only meant to be used as a last resort to save your live. It fucks you up and some don't even survive it. In some cases you must also go through the canopy
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#38]
"Ladies and Gentleman, please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times until the ride has come to a complete stop.  Oh, and that handle painted yellow and black, don't touch it.  Thanks, and enjoy the ride."
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've Lost My RIO

by Lt. Geoff Vickers
My squadron and air wing were detached to NAS Fallon, Nevada, for strike training....

Fuckin' priceless!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
If I recall correctly VMO-4 in Detroit had a numnut punch out of the back seat of an OV-10 on the taxi way.  That was in the early 70's.  It sure screwed up the aircraft
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Dang!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a patch it a hanger roof from a mechanic that wasn't all that careful about securing the ejection seat before climbing in.

Some poor kid punched out of a plane on display at the Willow Grove air show a few years back too.

When stationed at Spangdahlem in the late 80's they told me during unit in-processing that at least one airman had committed suicide by ejecting into the ceiling of the TAB-V concrete aircraft shelters.

http://www.ausairpower.net/Tab-Vee-DF-ST-83-06219-1S.jpg

I think this was taken at Bitburg AB

Ouch!

I forgot about the suicides like that.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Man Accidentally Pulls Eject Lever While Flying in Jet

The pilot of the craft, Captain Gerhard Lourens, is a long-time member of the Silver Falcons air force air display team, according to The Daily Mail.

Ahhhhhhh...... WAS a member of the Silver Falcons.......was.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Chairborne:

We had a cure for all of this BS.  It was Pull - Turn  - Pull to get out... & you got to keep the handle for a reminder of your experience.

Lem
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone got a link to that "partial ejection' from the F-14? The one where the guy had to land with his RIO half out of the plane?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Anyone got a link to that "partial ejection' from the F-14? The one where the guy had to land with his RIO half out of the plane?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You mean that F-14 that was a KA-6?
It has been alluded to already in the thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maybe he pulled a Gallagher...

Here, as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man Accidentally Pulls Eject Lever While Flying in Jet

The pilot of the craft, Captain Gerhard Lourens, is a long-time member of the Silver Falcons air force air display team, according to The Daily Mail.

Ahhhhhhh...... WAS a member of the Silver Falcons.......was.

Why would he get the boot for something he had 0 control over?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Journalism is a dying art.

that plane is not a "jet"... yet that's the headline.

makes my brain hurt to read this shit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top