BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're in a hurry, I'd skip any of the filters and just let gravity do it's thing.

I have a cider I started last August that got racked into secondary around day 10, and didn't get touched until Thanksgiving since so much stuff was settling out of it - but that was a dirty cider started from crabapples.  

With apple juice, your product should clear on it's own in about a month.  If you're in a hurry, you can use bentonite or sparkaloid to really pull the sediment down in a hurry and have something drinkable in about 2 weeks from start to finish.
View Quote

And another option to filtering is to Cold Crash it.
Just Google for ideas on "Cold Crashing Hard Cider".
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit: wrong thread
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cold crashing works, but you need a place to get it cold/as close to freezing without freezing.  Absent a second fridge that you can crank to 10, it can be less practical than using a clearing agent.

YMMV, and all that jazz.

But it's also why I set up a mini fridge with a temp controller - lagering, cold crashing, and meat curing in a dedicated box

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cold crashing works, but you need a place to get it cold/as close to freezing without freezing.  Absent a second fridge that you can crank to 10, it can be less practical than using a clearing agent.

YMMV, and all that jazz.

But it's also why I set up a mini fridge with a temp controller - lagering, cold crashing, and meat curing in a dedicated box

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV, and all that jazz.

Same here!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Same here!
View Quote

#firstworldproblems
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Same here!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV, and all that jazz.

Same here!

I'll add a heads up to the wine makers on this method, yes it works, but it will also precipitate the tartaric acid out into crystalline form, which will remain at the bottom with all the crud you are leaving behind.

So check you acids before bottling and adjust as necessary.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Flavor-wise what made it the best?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best cider I’ve made had no added sugar.

Flavor-wise what made it the best?

The apple flavors show through better instead of getting lost in a boozy haze. I think too much sugar gets some funky phenolic side reactions going with my yeast, too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top