Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand and respect their decision to boycott Colorado but they leaving Colorado is giving up a lot in terms of lifestyle.  I don't see them moving someplace like Texas, Tennessee or someplace like that.  A conservative mountain state makes sense.  I always thought it odd that they set up shop in Boulder of all places.

I have brought this up often.  There's about 0 chance of the guys from Magpul wanting to move to SD or TN or TX or pretty much anywhere east of CO.

They've said before that they love the Colorado lifestyle - outdoors, etc.

Yeah...because TN has no outdoor lifestyle...

http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/47/112647-004-9AB7A065.jpg

Compared to CO?  No.  Y'all have some nice hills, and it's pretty, but it's nothing compared to the mountain west.

I agree.  The Smokey Mountains are nice but the Rockies are different.  I'm not saying you can't like and enjoy both but just because you have some outdoors there it isn't the same.

Glad you like your mountains, they are beuatiful. But you can keep them, the rest of us will keep our guns and mags

I'll be keeping my guns and my mags, just as I would do if I was still in VA and laws like these were passed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I understand and respect their decision to boycott Colorado but they leaving Colorado is giving up a lot in terms of lifestyle.  I don't see them moving someplace like Texas, Tennessee or someplace like that.  A conservative mountain state makes sense.  I always thought it odd that they set up shop in Boulder of all places.

This was my thoughts too. They'll relocate to another solidly conservative mountain state in the West. Maybe UT since it has easier access than MT or WY. Moving to TX, TN, etc would not fit with their culture and lifestyle. I wonder too if they can relocate the Mfg portion but keep some of their admin type work in CO so they don's lose some people or force them to relocate.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have brought this up often.  There's about 0 chance of the guys from Magpul wanting to move to SD or TN or TX or pretty much anywhere east of CO.

Compared to CO?  No.  Y'all have some nice hills, and it's pretty, but it's nothing compared to the mountain west.

I agree.  The Smokey Mountains are nice but the Rockies are different.  I'm not saying you can't like and enjoy both but just because you have some outdoors there it isn't the same.

Sure it's different, but what can you do in the Rocky's that you can't do in the Smokies?

And just to add, I'm not making an arguement for Magpul to come to TN...just wondering why TN isn't 'outdoors' friendly?

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

This. The Smokies are not mountains. They are big hills compared to the Rockies. To me mountains are a place that has snow on top of them all year round.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you like your mountains, they are beuatiful. But you can keep them, the rest of us will keep our guns and mags

I'll be keeping my guns and my mags, just as I would do if I was still in VA and laws like these were passed.

Good on you, enjoy your state. I'll never come there.....

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Rick Perry stated specifically today that they had "definitely" contacted Magpul abotu relocating to Texas.  That doesn't mean they will, but he dropped their name without provocation when he and GB were talking about 2A issues.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once they pencil out how much this is going to cost, they may change their mind.  Moving a business is expensive.  Not just the physical moving of assets but the down time, retraining new employees, set up, lost production, finding new suppliers, etc.

I would agree on the expenses, but their motivation is fueled by making a political stand as well.

I haven't read the defective piece of toilet paper that they call a bill, but I thought I had read in another thread here that the bill also restricted manufacture unless it was for LEOs?  That would make moving kinda mandatory, at least for the mag operations.

That being said... NW IN has plenty of empty factory space waiting to rev back up again, a lower state income tax than CO, several nearby steel mills for spring steel, and a Republican supermajority in both houses.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it's different, but what can you do in the Rocky's that you can't do in the Smokies?

And just to add, I'm not making an arguement for Magpul to come to TN...just wondering why TN isn't 'outdoors' friendly?

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

This. The Smokies are not mountains. They are big hills compared to the Rockies. To me mountains are a place that has snow on top of them all year round.

So that's the answer?  Because the mountains are taller and have snow year round means it's more "outdoors" than the Smokey Mountains...got it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who cares. They aren't going to your neck of the woods and they aren't going to hire you and they aren't going to give you free shit when then do move.

Well they're moving to someone's neck of the woods.  But you're right, enough already.  Magpul's not doing their research in GD.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So that's the answer to my question?  Because the mountains are taller and have snow year round means it's more "outdoors" than the Smokey Mountains...got it.

You were given quite a few answers, but none of them satisfied your "TN FUCK YEAH!" attitude.

One final example: CO is ranked #50 in obesity rates.  We have the lowest in the United States.  TN is ranked #16.  29.2% in TN compared to 20.7% in CO.  (Adult rates FWIW.)  This has been linked numerous times to the outdoor activity level of folks in CO because we have much more focus on it here.

You can like TN - that's great.  I have been there and it is beautiful, no doubt.  But it is no comparison to the American West, and, since we're discussing it here, Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So that's the answer to my question?  Because the mountains are taller and have snow year round means it's more "outdoors" than the Smokey Mountains...got it.

You were given quite a few answers, but none of them satisfied your "TN FUCK YEAH!" attitude.

One final example: CO is ranked #50 in obesity rates.  We have the lowest in the United States.  TN is ranked #16.  29.2% in TN compared to 20.7% in CO.  (Adult rates FWIW.)  This has been linked numerous times to the outdoor activity level of folks in CO because we have much more focus on it here.

You can like TN - that's great.  I have been there and it is beautiful, no doubt.  But it is no comparison to the American West, and, since we're discussing it here, Colorado.

I wasn't showing my TN FUCK YEAH attitude...not in this thread anyway.

The only answers given were higher mountains...more snow.

And I could see CO having a low obesity rate.  Anyone that can use their brain would know that it had to be one of the lowest.  You can say that it's due to the outdoor lifestyle.  In most cases, I'm sure that plays a big part.  Could also have to do with altitude.  But I'm not here to argue who's state is fatter (the South claims this without a doubt).

I'm not trying to twist your panties and say CO sucks.  I'm really not.  I just found it odd that one would say TN was less outdoorsy and felt the need to correct it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I love how the CO leg wrote in the exception for Magpul. In other words, they can still make the evil 30 rounders that are used to kill women, children, puppies, but they cannot sell them to anyone is CO. Typical libtard crap.

If I had to guess, Magpul will set up multiple operations. They have become quite a bit larger than they were 5 or so years ago, and this may be the perfect opportunity for them to expand their business. I think Texas would be in the running, but I would guess that they will probably put the HQ in Wyoming. At least that is what I would do if it were me. They may expand manufacturing plants into several states, just depends on cost and what they have on hand to invest. Be interesting to see what they do, but I agree with other posters that they really have to leave now. They have come out publicly and promised to leave if the bill passed. They have also said they will leave behind a small operation in CO just through the 2014 elections to serve as a reminder of what CO lost.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm a huge fan of the White Mountains up here , the North Appalachian chain . . . it is drop dead gorgeous year round , however the Rockies have them beat solidly . I-70 out of Denver through Frisco and Veil is a beautiful drive .

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't showing my TN FUCK YEAH attitude...not in this thread anyway.

The only answers given were higher mountains...more snow.

And I could see CO having a low obesity rate.  Anyone that can use their brain would know that it had to be one of the lowest.  You can say that it's due to the outdoor lifestyle.  In most cases, I'm sure that plays a big part.  Could also have to do with altitude.  But I'm not here to argue who's state is fatter (the South claims this without a doubt).

I'm not trying to twist your panties and say CO sucks.  I'm really not.  I just found it odd that one would say TN was less outdoorsy and felt the need to correct it.

I don't think you corrected it.  It's very different out here.  Most US public lands are in the west.  There is a lot of space to do a lot of things on in the west.  Like I said, I like the Smokies and there's no reason someone cant like both but the Rockies and the American West offer some other outdoor opportunities.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul has agreed to take up operations in my moms basement.  As soon as I move out of course

We cannot possibly wait that long for more p mags

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not going to matter to most. Larue resides in my state, but I don't get any more free stuff from them than anybody else does. Oh, and I get to pay sales tax thanks to them residing here.That being said, I'm proud that they're here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

So that's the answer?  Because the mountains are taller and have snow year round means it's more "outdoors" than the Smokey Mountains...got it.

Technically, thats exactly right. Surface area and all
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

....Damnit!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#18]
It comes down to this.... I just can't imagine that a company that chose to make Colorado its original home would willingly choose to relocate to TN as opposed to UT, WY, etc.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It comes down to this.... I just can't imagine that a company that chose to make Colorado its original home would willingly choose to relocate to TN as opposed to UT, WY, etc.

Me either...see one of my earlier post.  I wasn't trying to make a case for Magpul coming to TN.  Just a slow day at work and felt like hamming it up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#20]
LaRue and MagPul like the same peas in a pod.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

....Damnit!

Calm down, children.  What's next, my dad can beat up your dad?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will most likely stay close. Unless they get a significant tax break or grant from another state, it's cheapest and easiest to move a short distance. Probably Wyoming.

Yep.  My guess is Cheyenne

Only a one hour or so drive from Boulder.  Close enough to commute for some folks.  I can see them using subcontract manufacturing facilities in Wyoming and Nebraska to replace all the subs they use in Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Cheyenne WY. Done deal
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who cares. They aren't going to your neck of the woods and they aren't going to hire you and they aren't going to give you free shit when then do move.

Well someone's a little pissy today aren't they?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#25]
If it were me, I probably wouldn't move operations to Texas - and I'm a Texan!  Texas is undergoing such a boom, that there is not a large surplus of qualified labor looking for work.  The lack of income tax is attractive at first glance, but they make up for it in sales taxes and property taxes - it's close to a wash there.  Infrastructure is stretched, the road systems can't handle the traffic any more.  

And lastly, Texas isn't Boulder.  If you love topography and Mountains, Texas isn't it.  It sort of has them, but not really.

I do worry that  Texas is such a magnet, there is a real risk of it being Colorado'd over time.

If it were me, I'd move operations to Utah - and I expect that is exactly what they are going to do.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Mexico. They are moving to TJ,  Revolution Street, Here We Come.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tennessee doesn't have mountains and our doors? and no state taxes too.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]
They are going multi state. Good call. TX., FL., LA., for starters???
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#29]
It's settled. Wilson, Wyoming. they've already contacted me to be their mag tester at the Jackson Hole range.

Tennessee is a fine place. however, when I was standing on top of Clingman's Dome, I was 300' lower than where I sit in my living room. the atmosphere is unnecessarily thick down there.
also, tenisea is too hard to spell.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rick Perry stated specifically today that they had "definitely" contacted Magpul abotu relocating to Texas.  That doesn't mean they will, but he dropped their name without provocation when he and GB were talking about 2A issues.

I'm sure he will be rounding-up illegals to work for them too.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

The Smokies are indeed mountains and are far older than the Rockies.   In their glory they were as high as the Rockies or the Alps.  The Rockies are children compared to them.  

Having said that I lived in Colorado for several years and understand the lure of the Rockies.  I love them and the west to be honest about it.  But I love the applachians and the south too.  I think some people are taking offensive at that some posters are disparging the applachians/TN at the expense of Colorado.  

It might have been better to say you prefer the terrain or lands in the West than the terrain in the east which would be less inflammatory.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to compare racial/economic diversity per state to the obesity rates and you will see the real driver.  CO is not that more active it's population decides it.  LA is one of the highest along with MS but if you lived here for awhile and watched the diet of this culture you would see the other driver.  Our traditional food here is beyond good but not very good for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to compare racial/economic diversity per state to the obesity rates and you will see the real driver.  CO is not that more active it's population decides it.  LA is one of the highest along with MS but if you lived here for awhile and watched the diet of this culture you would see the other driver.  Our traditional food here is beyond good but not very good for you.

So y'all are fat because you eat too much and don't exercise enough.  Simple.

ETA:
I was fat too, and it was for that exact reason.  So I made a change.  It's much easier to be active here than almost anywhere else I've been.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Columbia SC.  FN is in an industrial park area, plenty of land next door and they can build a conveyer belt into FN's building to supply new M4's and M16's.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

you guys are so full of your self and your 14'ers there,  you start your climbs at like 8k ...it's much harder to go from sea-level to 12k than it is to go from  6k to 14k, plus your mountains are just weak, you want some rugged glaciers and shit come here or go to AK, don't get me wrong the Rockies are ok and the snow is great, but guys' attitude about other places shows your ignorance......the Rockies ain't all that they're made out to be...john denver is full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

you guys are so full of your self and your 14'ers there,  you start your climbs at like 8k ...it's much harder to go from sea-level to 12k than it is to go from  6k to 14k, plus your mountains are just weak, you want some rugged glaciers and shit come here or go to AK, don't get me wrong the Rockies are ok and the snow is great, but guys' attitude about other places shows your ignorance......the Rockies ain't all that they're made out to be...john denver is full of shit.

Our mountains would kick your mountains ass in a street fight!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once they pencil out how much this is going to cost, they may change their mind.  Moving a business is expensive.  Not just the physical moving of assets but the down time, retraining new employees, set up, lost production, finding new suppliers, etc.

Deciding to not move and stay behind enemy lines could prove to be very expensive as well. How many customers would go elsewhere just on principal alone?

Once the panic stops, very few.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#38]
There appear to be a lot of  ARFCOM members are laying in bed at night having wet dreams about Magpul moving to their state...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

Our mountains would kick your mountains ass in a street fight!!

our mountains are actually mother fucking dormant volcanoes, come here and blow us....

seriously though, CO seems to think they got the only worth while mountains in the country.....

was bad troll, bad?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Logically, I would think Cheyenne Wyoming.  Land is relatively cheap.  Wyoming is gun friendly and will continue to be for the foreseeable future in addition to the business friendly environment.  Cheyenne lies at the intersection of I-25 and I-80 making it an ideal hub for shipping and several other large corporations are already based there for this very reason.  And it's only a 2 hour drive from their current location so shipping their equipment to the new location would be more cost effective.  

Barring another state making some significant gifts to Magpul, which I'm guess Wyoming would likely nearly match, my money is on Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What is that terrain?   Just a few canyons?

It has been years since I drove through that area but my vague recollection is that some part of TN was very scenic.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Wheres the quote tree nazi?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

our mountains are actually mother fucking dormant volcanoes, come here and blow us....

seriously though, CO seems to think they got the only worth while mountains in the country.....
was bad troll, bad?

Not the only worthwhile... Just some of the prettiest.  I still think the Sierra Nevadas are the best mountains in the country, though.  Suck it Tennessee and Colorado.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I heard Colorado has the biggest quote trees....

I'll end it with that.  

Which ever state(s) Magpul moves too will be the right fit for them and said state(s).
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Tennessee doesn't get much snow :/ Im sure its all slush lol. Too humid out there to even walk outside if its above 90. Shivering when its below 30.

I like the dry climate here, i can walk around in sub zero temps and not be freezing within minutes from humidity.

My state is better than yours! Rawr
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tennessee doesn't get much snow :/ Im sure its all slush lol. Too humid out there to even walk outside if its above 90. Shivering when its below 30.

I like the dry climate here, i can walk around in sub zero temps and not be freezing within minutes from humidity.

My state is better than yours! Rawr

well it is for now.....if Washington gets some bans then it's highly debatable which state is better

CO was the only other place i place i really wanted to live state side being into mountaineering and all, I've always though of CO as Washington with better weather...... i just fly off the handle when people are all 14'er this and 14'er that..... denvers at 5,500ft for crying out loud...

eta: on topic, their facebook page says  they are spreading out and moving to various states, i'd think wy,tx,id.......and maybe somewhere in the south.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They will most likely stay close. Unless they get a significant tax break or grant from another state, it's cheapest and easiest to move a short distance. Probably Wyoming.

I was thinking Wyoming or Utah.

I think WY would be a huge middle finger to CO.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Climb a 14er.
Climb 3 14ers in a day.
Get above treeline.
Ski from 12,000'
etc.

Forgot smoke weed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A report circulating the Kremlin states Texas has been chosen as the new home for Magpul.

May need to check legality on this one. That would be a move to another country. The United State of Texas.

Meanwhile they could move to Georgia a few minutes from me and set up next to Daniel Defense in Black Creek. Just think of the senergy!

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Tennessee would be awesome.

ETA: Southern Women > Colorado women
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top