User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Macs did have (and still do) a lot of security through obscurity - but it's changing.

What?  Unlike the Microsoft garbage where Microsoft is too embarrassed to release the source code, Apple released the source code to their OS over a decade ago.  The kernel, most of the command-line programs, and their browser are completely open.  That openness is one reason it is so secure.  Anyone can read the source and find problems.  It isn't like Microsoft that adds backdoors then tries to use security through obscurity with the hope that someone doesn't stumble across it.z

guess what?

THEY HAD TO.

You see they used FreeBSD as their base for their code. Therefore they had to release the source code under GPL.

you only have to release the source code to any changes to BSD - you do not have to release the source code for anything on top of the OS. This is why Darwin is not 100% of the OS X code

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Mac users are independent thinkers.

As a tech person that deals with computer users of all kinds on a daily basis that's one of the funniest things I've heard this week.  I'd give it an award, but today a level 1 Qwest support moron told a client of mine they had to have a "Qwest router", that ordinary routers won't work with Qwest DSL.

But don't feel bad, you came in a close second!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mac users are independent thinkers.

As a tech person that deals with computer users of all kinds on a daily basis that's one of the funniest things I've heard this week.  I'd give it an award, but today a level 1 Qwest support moron told a client of mine they had to have a "Qwest router", that ordinary routers won't work with Qwest DSL.

But don't feel bad, you came in a close second!

Ahhh, another one who didn't get it yet wasted no time telling me how wrong I am.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
guess what?

THEY HAD TO.

You see they used FreeBSD as their base for their code. Therefore they had to release the source code under GPL.

Apple threads always bring-out the trolls with their misinformation.

The GPL has nothing to do with FreeBSD.  FreeBSD is licensed using the...duh...BSD license.z
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Macs did have (and still do) a lot of security through obscurity - but it's changing.

What?  Unlike the Microsoft garbage where Microsoft is too embarrassed to release the source code, Apple released the source code to their OS over a decade ago.  The kernel, most of the command-line programs, and their browser are completely open.  That openness is one reason it is so secure.  Anyone can read the source and find problems.  It isn't like Microsoft that adds backdoors then tries to use security through obscurity with the hope that someone doesn't stumble across it.z

guess what?

THEY HAD TO.

you only have to release the source code to any changes to BSD - you do not have to release the source code for anything on top of the OS. This is why Darwin is not 100% of the OS X code

Wrong also.

The BSD license doesn't say anything about giving anything back.  You're free to take it all, compile a commercial OS out of it, and release it without source.  Only stipulation is you have to include the copyright notice.

GPL code has to be released back.  BSD isn't GPL, and this is one reason Apple went with BSD and not something under the GPL (like Linux).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top