Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
A good portion of people in this country today would be happy tossing those pistols into a smelter.

History & heroism don't mean what they used to.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Hats off to both of these guys.  Talk about Honor, both in and out of the military.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
FOR THE MOTHERFUCKIN' WIN!

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Medford man returns rare handgun to Medal of Honor winner

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

Yeah, I agree.  He didn't win shit.  He earned that medal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool story.

What sucks is that we'll never see US Prop marked firearms from any other period, as the US seeks to destroy all modern arms rather than sell them on the market. We'll never see a US marked M9 carried by a soldier from Iraq or AFG 100 years from now.

I know someone who has a couple of KAC M110 prototypes that would disagree. They sold a few used by the military to the civilian market, though I understand and agree with your point.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing that the military and any buracracy have in common is that for every rule there is an exception form. I bet that as an MOH recipient he had a person assigned to him to produce forms to get things done.

There was some sort of personal M9 option for my unit back in 2004, we were an avation unit and had all m9's issued from the armory for qualification.  the issued ones were heavy, gritty triggers and novak sights, a couple of the piloits had differant ones which they had bought and were allowed to qualify with. really nice triggers(still heavy but no grit) and snowman(not recall the name, make the snow man in the targets COM) type sight. I qualified expert,
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool story.

What sucks is that we'll never see US Prop marked firearms from any other period, as the US seeks to destroy all modern arms rather than sell them on the market. We'll never see a US marked M9 carried by a soldier from Iraq or AFG 100 years from now.

I know someone who has a couple of KAC M110 prototypes that would disagree. They sold a few used by the military to the civilian market, though I understand and agree with your point.

Those were sent back to KAC, removed from gov't rolls, then resold.   Not sold by US Gov't.    

Some early Barretts were acquired the same way.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Great story
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Now they need to track down that Auction House, and find the name of the person who sold the 1911 to them.

Run him down with a great many questions about WHERE he bought it, FROM WHOM, and once they track down the imbicile that Refinished and Aftermarket-Fucked such a beautiful piece of history they should smack the shit out of him before continuing their investigation to find who the fuck STOLE the weapon, and once they find the right man, they should hang that S.O.B. from the nearest tree.

Just IMHO.

Thats what I'm thinking also but how did the Marine get to keep his pistol in the first place? Pursuing this deeper with the auction house could possible ramifications for the Marine maybe.

Reired Marine Officer that has been awarded the MoH? Yeah I'm thinking that would fall into the great abyss of who gives a flying fuck. Especially when the sidearm is probably a retirement presentation or something.

I realize and know everything you said but if it wasn't a retirement presentation you never know what pricks there are out there to push an issue.  He should have been able to take an M14 home also if you ask me.

Did you know that, in WWII , Marines qualifying as an expert were given an extra $5 a month? They were also allowed to purchase their service rifle and/or pistol, and that extra 5 bucks was intended to be spent on that.

It wan't specific to the Marines, either.  James Earl ("CNN", "Luke, I am your father", "Simba!")  Jones' autobiography mentions that he purchased and brought home his issue 1911 and M-1 carbine when he got out out of the Army, in the very early 60's.    

It's too bad this sort of practice doesn't continue.  This is also unfortunate:

Nowadays? They'd hang you. With your own intestines. You could rape Obama on the National Mall a high noon covered by every major network in 1080i HD and the consequences wouldn't be as bad.

It's interesting how the more bureaucratic an organization becomes the harsher they look at the keeping and bearing of arms, in this case use of personal arms, carrying a sidearm outside of combat (it used to be de riguer for an officer to wear his sidearm at all times on duty; thngs seem to have always been stricter for enliste), or having a means to keep your issued weapon, whether that means a purchase or something else (an award for something, for example; that's how Cooper got his 1911 from the Army, it was a prize for a military shooting match, which he then used for his whole USMC career and took to war with him twice, even aboard a warship, and then used it until the day he died after leaving the USMC); same with taking home captured weapons other than antiques or demilled guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys, I gotta throw this grenade. Either Fattig or Berry calls 0103889 the serial # of the 1911.  Per the MOH citation, it is also his USMC serial number. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great story

This.  Heartwarming.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Guys, I gotta throw this grenade. Either Fattig or Berry calls 0103889 the serial # of the 1911. Per the MOH citation, it is also his USMC serial number. Thoughts?

It is very possible that pistol was / is CPT (USMC Ret) John J. McGinty's pistol but not the issued pistol he was carrying in Vietnam when his actions leading to the award of the MOH tok place.

In other words, at some point between March 12, 1968 and the day it was stolen, someone took an old USGI M1911A1, engraved it, reblued it put a new rear sight on it, and gave it to CPT McGinty. Perhaps even CPT McGinty.

My dad sent his M1911A1 to the AMU in 1966 and had it "accurazied" to 1960-era "hardball" bulls-eye competition standards and reblued (I cry tears of sadness over this).

For that matter, even though it is the pistol he found in his musette bag in the hospital in Naples in late 1944, he isn't sure it is the one he carried in France.  He wasn't exactly conscious when they evacuated him from the regimental aid post outside Luneville.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys, I gotta throw this grenade. Either Fattig or Berry calls 0103889 the serial # of the 1911. Per the MOH citation, it is also his USMC serial number. Thoughts?

It is very possible that pistol was / is CPT (USMC Ret) John J. McGinty's pistol but not the issued pistol he was carrying in Vietnam when his actions leading to the award of the MOH tok place.

In other words, at some point between March 12, 1968 and the day it was stolen, someone took an old USGI M1911A1, engraved it, reblued it put a new rear sight on it, and gave it to CPT McGinty. Perhaps even CPT McGinty.

My dad sent his M1911A1 to the AMU in 1966 and had it "accurazied" to 1960-era "hardball" bulls-eye competition standards and reblued (I cry tears of sadness over this).

For that matter, even though it is the pistol he found in his musette bag in the hospital in Naples in late 1944, he isn't sure it is the one he carried in France.  He wasn't exactly conscious when they evacuated him from the regimental aid post outside Luneville.

Hey, Mr situational awareness, I'm not doubting the ownership of the pistol, however,   what are the odds that his USMC serial number AND the serial number of his 1911 pistol ARE THE SAME!!  Somebody fucked up here!  Please re-read the OP and the MOH citation. What does ODA stand for, Often Dreaming About?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that matter, even though it is the pistol he found in his musette bag in the hospital in Naples in late 1944, he isn't sure it is the one he carried in France. He wasn't exactly conscious when they evacuated him from the regimental aid post outside Luneville.

Hey, Mr situational awareness, I'm not doubting the ownership of the pistol, however, what are the odds that his USMC serial number AND the serial number of his 1911 pistol ARE THE SAME!! Somebody fucked up here! Please re-read the OP and the MOH citation. What does ODA stand for, Often Dreaming About?

Reading is fucking fundamental.  I was fucking agreeing that that the fucking serial numbers aren't going the same, Mr. "I Like to Violently Attack People Without Trying to Comprehend What The Fuck They Wrote".

"ODA" stands for Operational Detachment "Alpha".
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Outstanding!  It is sad that actions like that are so rare today.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

For that matter, even though it is the pistol he found in his musette bag in the hospital in Naples in late 1944, he isn't sure it is the one he carried in France. He wasn't exactly conscious when they evacuated him from the regimental aid post outside Luneville.

Hey, Mr situational awareness, I'm not doubting the ownership of the pistol, however, what are the odds that his USMC serial number AND the serial number of his 1911 pistol ARE THE SAME!! Somebody fucked up here! Please re-read the OP and the MOH citation. What does ODA stand for, Often Dreaming About?

Reading is fucking fundamental.  I was fucking agreeing that that the fucking serial numbers aren't going the same, Mr. "I Like to Violently Attack People Without Trying to Comprehend What The Fuck They Wrote".

Nowhere in your quote does it mention USMC serial number vs 1911 serial number. " serial numbers aren't going the same?" R-I- F OK  Borat, Mom says to turn the computer off and go to bed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Best story I've heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best story I've heard in a long time.

I agree that the CMH awardee having  the pistol that saved his life returned to him is outstanding, but Fattig or Berry dropped the ball regarding the serial number of the 1911/ or the USMC serial number of McGinty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Gives me faith that perhaps not everyone isn't a complete asshole anymore. It's a shame that the media doesn't cover more stories like this instead of the crap that is sent out over the airwaves anymore. Bravo for both parties.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#21]
There's a reg covering transfering ownership of a weapon to the individual that was issued it.  There's all sorts of hoops to jump through, like it has to have some historical significance, etc.  Given the era ('60's), a MOH recipient probably wouldn't have had much of a problem getting his issue pistol he used in his MOH event to be transferred to him.  He would have needed a bunch of signatures, but those same Marines that would have had to sign off, were probably the ones that signed off on his MOH recommendation.  

IIRC it's actually handled the same as a GO pistol, in that it's issued on a permanent hand receipt to the individual.  

In this day and age, it's probably harder to get those signatures on the request unless it's going to a museum or something.  

As for the serial number, it's possible that McGinty etched his service number on the pistol with his name, and that's the number referred to as "pistol serial number" in the article, not the actual weapon's serial number.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What a nice story about a bunch of class act people.

Puts a great big smile on my face.

+1

Better than a weekend with Charlie Sheen!

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK  Borat, Mom says to turn the computer off and go to bed.

Only on ARFCOM will someone tell an SF guy to get off of his mom's computer....

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy? A Special Forces soldier? I don't think so. But he certainly is explosive.  And it was not his mom's computer-jeez, doesn't anyone READ anymore?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medford man returns rare handgun to Medal of Honor winner

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

Thats all you got outta that story?

Your in Qatar, go correct someone for wearing their socks wrong.

First, what makes you think thats all that I took from that story? Just because thats the only thing I commented on?

Second, it sickens me to see people awarded the Medal of Honor called "winners". These brave men and women won nothing, and sacrificed everything for this high prestigious medal. You do not "win" the Medal of Honor. It is not a fucking carnival game that presents you with a shiny trinket at the end. Often times, you give your life to be presented this medal. Go call all the dead MoH recipients winners and tell me how appropriate that feels.

Third, what makes you think I CHOSE to get deployed here? I suggest you unfuck yourself promptly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Its to chilly and a little dusty in here?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy? A Special Forces soldier? I don't think so. But he certainly is explosive.  And it was not his mom's computer-jeez, doesn't anyone READ anymore?

Take your crap elsewhere, instead of a thread concerning a MOH recipient.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Very cool story!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Amazing story!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well the ODA screen name, tank, and North Carolina location lead me to believe otherwise. I suggest you take your own advice.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...it sickens me to see people awarded the Medal of Honor called "winners". These brave men and women won nothing, and sacrificed everything for this high prestigious medal. You do not "win" the Medal of Honor. It is not a fucking carnival game that presents you with a shiny trinket at the end. Often times, you give your life to be presented this medal. Go call all the dead MoH recipients winners and tell me how appropriate that feels.

That used to bug the hell out of me too. Still bothers me, actually. But if you do enough research into Medal of Honor Awards, you'll see lots of people call the recipients "winners". Reporters, politicians, Military members, even Recipients themselves. For example, this is an excerpt from a speech to the NAACP:

In the war in Vietnam several years ago, a live grenade fell among a group of American soldiers. They were frozen with horror knowing they were only seconds away from death. Then one young soldier, a black, threw himself on the grenade, covering it with his helmet and his body. He died to save his comrades. Greater glory hath no man. Congressional Medal of Honor winner, posthumously presented, Garfield Langhorn's last whispered words were, "You have to care."

-President Ronald Reagan, 1981

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=44016

(He even uses the dreaded "Congressional")

There's no disrespect intended, so I let it go just like most of the instances I've seen and heard. Its better for my blood pressure.
Great story about the pistols, btw.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...it sickens me to see people awarded the Medal of Honor called "winners". These brave men and women won nothing, and sacrificed everything for this high prestigious medal. You do not "win" the Medal of Honor. It is not a fucking carnival game that presents you with a shiny trinket at the end. Often times, you give your life to be presented this medal. Go call all the dead MoH recipients winners and tell me how appropriate that feels.

That used to bug the hell out of me too. Still bothers me, actually. But if you do enough research into Medal of Honor Awards, you'll see lots of people call the recipients "winners". Reporters, politicians, Military members, even Recipients themselves. For example, this is an excerpt from a speech to the NAACP:

In the war in Vietnam several years ago, a live grenade fell among a group of American soldiers. They were frozen with horror knowing they were only seconds away from death. Then one young soldier, a black, threw himself on the grenade, covering it with his helmet and his body. He died to save his comrades. Greater glory hath no man. Congressional Medal of Honor winner, posthumously presented, Garfield Langhorn's last whispered words were, "You have to care."

-President Ronald Reagan, 1981

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=44016

(He even uses the dreaded "Congressional")

There's no disrespect intended, so I let it go just like most of the instances I've seen and heard. Its better for my blood pressure.
Great story about the pistols, btw.

In Reagan's defense, it was probably a speech writer that screwed that one up.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In Reagan's defense, it was probably a speech writer that screwed that one up.

He said it, he gets the blame. Does a speechwriter get credit for "Trust, but verify."?

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's interesting how the more bureaucratic an organization becomes the harsher they look at the keeping and bearing of arms,

The other sad part of it is, if the guy who purchased the pistol and lives in Oregon just gave it back to the MOH recipient who lives in South Carolina, they both have run afoul of federal law.  That is unless they went through the extra step of transferring the pistol through a SC FFL.  

Pretty sad when you can't just give something like this directly and have to go through paperwork just to make it legal......

Love me some bureaucracy!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, my friend, are a piece of work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top