Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in when the the Dragons were still issued; though I'm sure they worked some of the time, the "sometimes" they wouldn't work or dud out would be disconcerting.

Apparently the dud rate is still high per that picture of one in Syria....

The long flight time where the gunner had to sit still sounded suicidal in a cold war tank environment though the trick would be to simultaneously detonate a block of TNT away from your hot position as you  fire the missile...which sounds like a lot of work if you are doing a section volley fire.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1 km range
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Could it replace the 105mm recoilless rifle for avalanche control?

Or is the range insufficient?

1 km range
In about a 150deg arc from where it was fired......"randomly"

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the trick would be to simultaneously detonate a block of TNT away from your hot position as you  fire the missile...which sounds like a lot of work if you are doing a section volley fire.

View Quote

And have heavy guns concurrently suppress the target
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
<<<<<<<< 11B C2
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I spent two of the longest days of my life in Drag-on training at IOBC at Benning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LMFAO. I saw one decide to head off to main post in Graf. It was about 500m out then said Fck it, I am going to Burger King.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Fuck that Dragon and its suddenly sentient missle that may for no reason take a hard right or explode 10 meters out of the launcher...

LMFAO. I saw one decide to head off to main post in Graf. It was about 500m out then said Fck it, I am going to Burger King.

I would loved to have owned that Burger King at Graf.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You actually fires one? In 8 years I saw two get fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dragon Gunner checking in!  They were heavy and burned up the back of your neck. Still, when you smacked a tank with one, it was great fun!  

I did, the whole time thinking "don't watch the missile, don't watch the missile".  Sure as shit, one of our guys followed his and we all watched it fly off to the unknown.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dragon Gunner checking in!  They were heavy and burned up the back of your neck. Still, when you smacked a tank with one, it was great fun!  

82-86 I fired three.

Lejeune

Vieuques

Chile

Two hits and a broken wire. Although on the broken wire shot I later learned that one of my prize privates was shooting at the missile with his M16.

More likely the wire broke on its own.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tritonol shelf stable iron bombs stored in open revetments for 50 years will still go boom.  Missles? Nope.  Hell, missles are fragile.  Example that comes to mind were the M72A1 LAW rockets dropped into Lang Vei.  Due to improper storage and rough handling,  most of them failed against the very lightly armored NVA crewed Chicom clones of the PT76.
View Quote

That's interesting.. I had two of them in my MRAP in Afghanistan in 2010........ Glad I never needed to use them....
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's interesting.. I had two of them in my MRAP in Afghanistan in 2010........ Glad I never needed to use them....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tritonol shelf stable iron bombs stored in open revetments for 50 years will still go boom.  Missles? Nope.  Hell, missles are fragile.  Example that comes to mind were the M72A1 LAW rockets dropped into Lang Vei.  Due to improper storage and rough handling,  most of them failed against the very lightly armored NVA crewed Chicom clones of the PT76.

Sure it was an A1 and not an A6?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. Hell, even before I'd first come on active duty in 89, the M72A2 was in service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Remember shooting 1950s production M4 (not A1) white bag in the late 90s.   Most of it worked pretty well a few cans had crumbling powder bags other than those grade 4 we only had to do a large minus MV correction because the BCS did not have take into account the amount of observed MV loss we found when calibrating
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1977 mfg date.  Noooooice.   38 year old ordnance.  The warhead is probably 100%, but the missile propellant....eeeeeeeh.  Nope.

It's all good.

We fired WWII era 105 in training in the late 90s.

Just a couple years ago, we fired some obsolete 105 RAP from the early 70s/late 60s.  Kind of funny to fire "obsolete" stuff that still has the X prefix.  Shit was actually pretty damn accurate in Rocket On mode.

Remember shooting 1950s production M4 (not A1) white bag in the late 90s.   Most of it worked pretty well a few cans had crumbling powder bags other than those grade 4 we only had to do a large minus MV correction because the BCS did not have take into account the amount of observed MV loss we found when calibrating

When I went through IMPOC (now IMLC) in 86 we were hanging 60mm WP that dated from the 50's
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Fuck that Dragon and its suddenly sentient missle that may for no reason take a hard right or explode 10 meters out of the launcher...

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

By the time that slow ass bitch made it to the target it would be late spring
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

By the time that slow ass bitch made it to the target it would be late spring
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes way more sense if it was an A6... I'll admit that I did take a look at it as I was curious about it, but I didn't look it over enough to notice A1 or A6 markings.... So I'll say it was probably an A6...

I honestly wasn't aware they were still being made.... The more you know.......
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1977 mfg date.  Noooooice.   38 year old ordnance.  The warhead is probably 100%, but the missile propellant....eeeeeeeh.  Nope.

It's all good.

We fired WWII era 105 in training in the late 90s.

Just a couple years ago, we fired some obsolete 105 RAP from the early 70s/late 60s.  Kind of funny to fire "obsolete" stuff that still has the X prefix.  Shit was actually pretty damn accurate in Rocket On mode.

I shot with some similarly aged white bag in 2011. Stuff never gets thrown out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the Popeyes at Hohensfels back when it was the only one in Europe(or the only one that anyone from Vicenza saw).  You can even schedule the surge days by looking at the rotational calendar.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fuck that Dragon and its suddenly sentient missle that may for no reason take a hard right or explode 10 meters out of the launcher...
View Quote

In 04' my Guard unit fired off a bunch of Dragons, don't really know why, they must have just needed to get rid of them.  I was watching from several hundred yds. away and saw one do exactly that ^.  It detonated about 10-20 meters out of the tube.  Thankfully nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I carried a dragon in desert storm,  heavy old thing lol.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I got in just as it was phased out and we were using the Jav.

All the guys who used it, said it was garbage. IIRC, it's been a long time, I heard if you accidentally jerked the device you use for guiding the missile on target, it could break the wire or the missile would go flying WAAAY off course.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<<<<<<<< 11B C2
View Quote

11B C2 here also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

82-86 I fired three.

Lejeune

Vieuques

Chile

Two hits and a broken wire. Although on the broken wire shot I later learned that one of my prize privates was shooting at the missile with his M16.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

82-86 I fired three.

Lejeune

Vieuques

Chile

Which part of Vieques?  I spent over a year managing the removal of surface ordnance.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top