Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Now its interesting, but from all the pics I have seen, the one group of people who COULD carry whatever they wanted in Afghanistan, the various and sundry Special Operators, were all still carrying M4's even though they always have the option of switching to M16's.

And what would switching to 77gr ammo have to do with anything? Its even slower, unless someone has one really weird bullet in that weight, it is going to be even less likely to fragment and do serious wounding.  Also the only people who could opt out of the standard ammo would be the above mentioned special operators, who could make a case they needed Match-grade ammo.

At the engagement ranges you find in Afghanistan, hilltop to hilltop, neither a 14.5 or a 20 inch .223 is going to have enough juce to fragment. So something else is up here.

The SEALS at least can choose to switch to a modern 7.62 in the SR-25/Mk11Mod0, although listed as a sniper rifle it has enough firepower to be used as a battle rifle and its rail forend will accept a M203.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Perhaps the military should re-examine their policy in frangible bullets.  That would solve many of their problems.
View Quote

Uh, the "military's policy on frangible bullets" is based on international rules of war.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps the military should re-examine their policy in frangible bullets.  That would solve many of their problems.
View Quote

Uh, the "military's policy on frangible bullets" is based on international rules of war.

Scott

View Quote

Did we actually sign that treaty?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Tatjana,

Actually, Marines are taught to NEVER leave their dead and wounded behind, as well....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Oy vey!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno... I love my ARs, but when I pull a .30-06 out of a Garand clip and lay it down beside a .223, I have to wonder.

Tatjana, a quote for you from "Flags of Our Fathers", by James Bradley:

Newsman Jim Lehrer would later write about the special Marine warrior pride ingrained into him in boot camp: "I learned that Marines never leave their dead and wounded behind, officers always eat last, the U.S. Army is chickenshit in combat, the Navy is worse, and the Air Force is barely even on our side."

[;)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
In the last month I posted a Mpeg which shows some Filipinos who didn't find the .223 underpowered.

[b]WARNING: Do not click link unless you want to see actual human beings being shot and killed[/b]

[url]http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer/filipino.mpg[/url]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Would it be feasible to put an airpocket in the tip of the 5.56mm like in the Soviet 5.45mm. Causeing the bullet to tumble instead of having to fragmentate?

inquiring lib
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would it be feasible to put an airpocket in the tip of the 5.56mm like in the Soviet 5.45mm. Causeing the bullet to tumble instead of having to fragmentate?

inquiring lib
View Quote

M193 and SS109/M855 both do tumble, and that's WHY they fragment.  (Just about all pointed nose bullets tumble because their center of mass is behind their length center).

And why wouldn't you want the M193/M855 to fragment?  That's what constitutes the primary wounding mechanism for the 5.56 FMJs.
View Quote

Hmm...i thought the 5.45mm was designed to tumble instead of fragmentate, so it would be more reliable and expend its energy sooner then the 5.56mm. i dont know much about ballistics, but in a short barrel rifle that does not produce enough velocity to reliable fragmentate, then why not engineer a bullet that will tumble everytime by airpocket?

tumbling lib
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

inquiring lib
View Quote

M193 and SS109/M855 both do tumble, and that's WHY they fragment.  (Just about all pointed nose bullets tumble because their center of mass is behind their length center).

And why wouldn't you want the M193/M855 to fragment?  That's what constitutes the primary wounding mechanism for the 5.56 FMJs.
View Quote

So the M193 and M855 tumble and are accurate? Or they employ some new law of physics and tumble "straight"? And then fragment? Care to elaborate? I thought you couldn't tumble as you fly and keep the accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

inquiring lib
View Quote

View Quote

So the M193 and M855 tumble and are accurate? Or they employ some new law of physics and tumble "straight"? And then fragment? Care to elaborate? I thought you couldn't tumble as you fly and keep the accuracy?
View Quote

They do not tumble in flight - in fact they are stabilized only by the spin imparted by the rifling in the barrel. However, as soon as the bullet contacts the target, it tumbles and fragments - sort of a delayed keyhole effect.

Edited to add - brouhaha beat me to it!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, the bullets DO NOT tumble in the air. The spin imparted by rifling is sufficient to maintain stable flight through the air. However, when the bullets strike flesh, which is 800+ times denser than air, they DO tumble. (This is because the center of gravity is behind the physical centerline of the bullet.) The heavier rear section tries to switch places with the nose. If the bullet is going over approx 2700 FPS (SEE FACKLER) when it tries to flip over, the bullet will fragment. This causes the temporarily wound cavity to be torn by fragments, causing a greatly enlarged PERMANENT wound cavity. This is what makes the 5.56MM round so effective, within the range where the bullet fragments......

Scott

P.S. Tatjana & Troy: Did I cover it okay?

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought you couldn't tumble as you fly and keep the accuracy?
View Quote

They don't tumble while in flight (unless you're using the wrong barrel twist rate).  They tumble after they strike flesh.  While tumbling, they beging to break apart at the cannelure, transferring their energy to the fragments.  The effect of breaking apart is pretty explosive.  The bullet has usually disentegrated into the smallest pieces it will reach within about 4-5" of impact.
View Quote

This was apparently especially true of flesh. A 55 grain bullet striking flesh when only stabilized with a 1-14 twist, tumbled with devastating results, but it had a problem – it was only marginally accurate. Now it’s possible to have a bullet that is known to tumble, but if it won’t reliably hit the target at the maximum effective range you are in big trouble. After the initial test results (including some in Southeast Asia) were in, it was apparent that this WAS an effective round (assuming that a tumbling bullet was employed)! However, it also became obvious that this rifle wasn’t exactly a "tack driver" in terms of accuracy. Air Force cold weather tests in January 1963 showed definite "bullet wobble" around the projectile’s rotational axis causing unacceptable accuracy. As any good ordnance folks would do, they tightened the twist to 1-12 and the accuracy improved. The order to change the barrel twist was signed by Robert S. McNamara on the 26th of July 1963. The accuracy immediately improved, but the "magic bullet" quit tumbling! All of a sudden, we had a reasonably accurate round with a bullet that was essentially ineffective in terms of cleaving flesh with the much vaunted "meat ax effect". The round was now reasonably accurate, but much underpowered for its designed maximum effective range of 500 yds.
View Quote
from [url]http://jdumong.net/delta/m-16Part2.htm[/url]

Now this is older information. Links to newer data, please? TIA.

In addition, does anyone have a link to the power charts for "newer" ammo such as the M855, specifically remaining energy at 500yrds?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 5.56 round was never intended to kill an enemy but to wound him with the theory that if an enemy soldier was wounded it would take 1 to 2 more of his own troops to carry him off the battlefield therefore reducing the number of enemy combatants you would have to face.
View Quote

Just had to pull this out from an otherwise excellent post. The 5.56 WAS and IS intended to kill. The stories of it being intended to wound are just flat false. The theory of tying up more soldiers removing the wounded is good reason to at least wound the enemy, but the 5.56 was not designed with that in mind!  The real motivation for the developement of the SCHV 5.56 round was to replace the M1 carbine and all SMG's with one, more effective round. In comparison to those two, the 5.56 does its job well. The other secondary motivations were to make full auto fire a tad more controllable than it was with the M14, and to make it possible for a grunt to carry a LOT more ammo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Gee, I guess I wasn't the only one responding to the "tumbling in air" thread :D

Pdxshooter,

Jim Sullivan has been quoted (by me) as saying that he felt the AR-15/XM16 with one in fourteen rifling was more effective, because of the tendency of the bullets to tumble an instant sooner. Fackler poo-poos this contention, saying it has no affect on bullet effectiveness. There is no corroborating scientific OBJECTIVE data to support the Ranger/GB SUBJECTIVE reports that 1/14 stabilized M193 ammo was more effective on slightly statured organic "targets", such as SouthEast Asians. (Today, some organic "targets" are SouthWest Asians, who also may be of slight build...)

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Presently we are also having this discussion at AssaultWeb.
[url]http://assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/224294.html[/url]

It would seem that the MOST lethal AR would have a 20 inch 1-12 twist barrel and shoot 55gr.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
All,

There seems to be much debate over the relative virtues of carrying a 20" barreled M16/AR-15 over a 14.5" M4 (or semi-auto copy).  Barrel length seems to be a big issue here, so I called a friend of mine...let's call him "Roadrunner."

I met Roadrunner in college - he's a retired US Army Master Sergeant that did 25, got out, and decided to go to college.  He and I met in a "designated smoking area" (I used to puff away in those days), and, with the Army in common, we struck up a friendship.

Well, during the Vietnam War, he spent a lot of time running around in rain forests - the Laotian kind.  As a member of CCN, he did a lot of recon work on the other side of the fence.  His primary arm was an XM177, a select-fire M16 with a 11.5" barrel, a 4 or 5 inch "flash/sound suppressor," collapsible stock, and a sh!tload of 20-round magazines.  

He never had a single complaint about his rifle, or about the ammo that he fired through it.  He had quite a few exciting days during the late 60's - up to and including being chased by roughly a battalion (600+) of soldiers that wanted him and his Recon Team captured and killed.  He got involved in numerous running gunfights at various ranges - anywhere from 5 feet to 150 yards - and he serviced target after target each and every time.  

When asked if he would carry a full-size instead, he laughed and said, "Hell, would you? - I loved that little rifle, and there's no way I'd consider carrying anything else - well, maybe a Ma Deuce, if it weighed six pounds, and I could carry 600 rounds of ammo for the damn thing."

His logic is plenty good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
   This was apparently especially true of flesh. A 55 grain bullet striking flesh when only stabilized with a 1-14 twist, tumbled with devastating results, but it had a problem – it was only marginally accurate. Now it’s possible to have a bullet that is known to tumble, but if it won’t reliably hit the target at the maximum effective range you are in big trouble. After the initial test results (including some in Southeast Asia) were in, it was apparent that this WAS an effective round (assuming that a tumbling bullet was employed)! However, it also became obvious that this rifle wasn’t exactly a "tack driver" in terms of accuracy. Air Force cold weather tests in January 1963 showed definite "bullet wobble" around the projectile’s rotational axis causing unacceptable accuracy. As any good ordnance folks would do, they tightened the twist to 1-12 and the accuracy improved. The order to change the barrel twist was signed by Robert S. McNamara on the 26th of July 1963. The accuracy immediately improved, but the "magic bullet" quit tumbling! All of a sudden, we had a reasonably accurate round with a bullet that was essentially ineffective in terms of cleaving flesh with the much vaunted "meat ax effect". The round was now reasonably accurate, but much underpowered for its designed maximum effective range of 500 yds.
View Quote

As a point of interest, when the initial SCHV experiments and development at Aberdeen Proving Ground were concluded, they had settled on a 55gr bullet (their design was carried over into the final M193) fired from a 1 in 10" twist and with a range of up to 300 meters. The extended range requirement was piled on after the fact by Army types (Col Studler and his cronies) in an attempt to prevent the acceptance of the 5.56 round by Army Ordnance. The same is true of the change from 1 in 10" to 1 in 14". Both of these changes in the spec were made prior to the design competition to come up with a weapon to fire the new round. Studler was unabashedly opposed to the SCHV, as well as to non-internal weapons suppliers, because they threatened the internal suppliers (Springfield, for example). It was all politics. This all took place in the mid 1950's, long before Colt or Armalite was aware of the existance of the round, or the plan to replace the M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Geez. If you have an M4 just shoot Winchester 64gr Power Points.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Imbroglio,

I don't  think our troops have the option of using Power Points.....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
rounds into him [from his M60]. They were "slap" rounds, plastic coated titanium bullets that could penetrate armor,

Proof #1 that the info in the book is questionable at best.  There is no titanium ammo for the M60, or any other small arm, because titanium would suck as a material in projectiles.

out of view. It bugged him. His weapon was the most sophisticated infantry rifle in the world, a customized CAR-15
View Quote

Proof #2.  How could anybody who knows anything about military small arms consider the CAR-15, which was by this time a 25 year old design, to be the most sophisticated in the world?  

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Consider: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108118[/url]
View Quote

Thanks Tatjana!

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice testing there, Tatjana & Brouhaha

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#32]
SLAP is available in several forms, IIRC:

1) Regular M193-type slug in a plastic .30 caliber sabot

2) Wolfram slug in a plastic .30 caliber sabot

3) Depleted Uranium(?) in a plastic .30 caliber sabot

I don't think titanium was ever used, as stated before.

BTW, M193 projectiles fired using .30 caliber SLAP rounds would have MUCH higher muzzle velocity within most ranges than 7.62MM NATO. MUCH MORE likely to tumble and explosively fragment.

The ultimate ammo, if feasible might be a M193 or M855 projectile in a .30 caliber sabot IN a .50 caliber sabot. What kind of muzzle velocity would that generate, if accuracy could be preserved by insuring smooth sabot seperation?

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#33]
By treaty, US servicemen cannot use hollow-point ammo in combat against organized military opponents.  No such prohibition exists regarding action against terrorists.  In fact, snipers and other specialized troops employed in anti-terrorist missions have the option of different bullet types.

For the regular troops, M193 or M855 (mixed with tracers) is about it.  No doubt there are a host of training and logistics issues tied up with something as pervasive as small arms ammunition.

Heard a rumor that the 855 was popularized in NATO due to its performance against body armor, helmets, etc.  I'd imagine that Somalis and Taliban don't sport much of that.

I would be interested in understanding the proliferation of M4's among troops doing basic infantry stuff.  On the surface, it would seem that M-16's would be the preferred weapon.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#35]
>scratching head and with a confused look<

Ummm...so would the 5.45mm type bullet be a boon to the shorter barrels such as the 10.5" and 14.5"? or a waste of effort?

Dense lib
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#36]
1. I do not know where the myth that the M14/M1 shooting USGI ball ammo is a great stopping round. USGI 30 caliber leaves a small hole and unless it hits a bone will not keep a target down. 7 times I have seen idiots deer hunting with 30 caliber ball ammo shoot deer and the deer not even know it has been shot and just keep walking. A good 30 caliber-expanding bullet is another story.

2. How many of you really believe the GI’s in Afghanistan are taking aim and seeing 4 or 5 rounds actually hitting the target, with open sights, at ranges of 100m+. Please… In perfect conditions most times you cannot see rifle hits at 50 yards with the naked eye much less 100+ with people shooting at you.

3. Unless you are shooting at ranges of 350m+ and have time, patience, and the balls to expose yourself for the several seconds needed to take aim with an M14 the M4 would be a better choice of weapon for 98% of GI’s in Afghanistan... for the simple reason that you can carry twice as much ammo. If you run out of ammo it don’t matter what rifle you have.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Mike,

A M16A2/M16A3/M16A4 will also allow you to carry about twice as much ammo as a M14. And the 20" barrel will give you more effective range for the ammo. Simple science.....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Its not all about caliber and bullet shape or weight!  The two words here should be  shot placement!!!   an ice pick will take you out if put where it's needed!!     bob cole
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Imbroglio,

I don't  think our troops have the option of using Power Points.....

Scott

View Quote

Well there is nothing stopping everyone here from using them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Imbroglio,

That is true. I was just speaking to the original topic. Which is US military use of M4s in long-range combat. Of course we as civilians have a MUCH greater selection of ammo we can use. No offense was meant, Bra....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#41]
BRAVO TANGO TANGO

Troll Scott

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
M16 HBARs (used as squad autos) should have 24" or 26" barrels, to extend their support range.....

Scott

View Quote

That would only add about 100 or 150 fps over a 20".
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M16 HBARs (used as squad autos) should have 24" or 26" barrels, to extend their support range.....

Scott

View Quote

That would only add about 100 or 150 fps over a 20".
View Quote

Rainier,

But would GREATLY augment the striking power over the 14.5" barrels. If everyone were armed with M4s, except the support fire members, then those support fire members could reach out and touch targets further away than the M4s could reach.....

Scott

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#44]
26" barrel?? That would be one unwieldly rifle. Plus if they need to "reach out" most military units have SAW's, M-240's and M-203's readily available.

No weapon is going to "do it all". Part of the theory behind the M-4 is that it is handy, lightweight, good rate of fire, etc., etc. It isn't meant to do everything, and others will have more powerful weapons to use as "support" weapons.

Pin'em down with an M-4 blow'em up with M-203. Distract them with aimed rifle fire so the M-240 gunner can line 'em up careful like......

Or keep their heads down with rifle fire so the tank doesn't have to worry about RPG fire....... then run'em over.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
26" barrel?? That would be one unwieldly rifle. Plus if they need to "reach out" most military units have SAW's, M-240's and M-203's readily available.

No weapon is going to "do it all". Part of the theory behind the M-4 is that it is handy, lightweight, good rate of fire, etc., etc. It isn't meant to do everything, and others will have more powerful weapons to use as "support" weapons.

Pin'em down with an M-4 blow'em up with M-203. Distract them with aimed rifle fire so the M-240 gunner can line 'em up careful like......

Or keep their heads down with rifle fire so the tank doesn't have to worry about RPG fire....... then run'em over.
View Quote

Excellent observations, OLY. Within its optimal envelope, the M4 is excellent for CQB and MOUT. Just falling short sometimes in Afghanistan when misapplied against targets WAY out yonder...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Has this wonderful GUNRELATED discussion died out?

BRAVO TANGO TANGO

Scott

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Actually I cant find too much griping about the M4 in Afghanistan on the Internet (admittedly that may increase as units rotate home). Seems that while everyone understands that its not at its best there, its not enough to make them change. Remember, the enemy is armed primarily with the 16" barrled AKM and AK-74 or the Chinese equivilants, THEY have the same "problem".

Being able to strap your rifle to your body and always have it with you no matter what ready to use, with less of it snagging and banging on things as you try to exit your chopper or APC, and the reduced weight, seem to be a better attraction.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Has this wonderful GUNRELATED discussion died out?

BRAVO TANGO TANGO

Scott

View Quote

If you only want to see GUNRELATED discussion please go to the GENERAL FIREARMS DISCUSSION board. That board is limited to firearms discussion ONLY. This one is plainly labled GENERAL DISCUSSION, clearly indicating that the topics are not limited to firearms. Whining about it is just wasting bandwith.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#49]
As long as everyone is referencing "Black Hawk Down", I'd like to start a thread where we reference "Blade II."  Anecdotally, they're both equally valid:  "Man, that Blade kicked some ass.  I think chromed, modified Mac-10s are the sheeot.  We should issue those instead of the M4. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only way to get rid of this problem is go to a bullpup with a 6mm or .270 design. Make sure that every kind of gadget can be mounted on the NEW AR.  And the only people who currently do this is Armalite.
Ben
View Quote

I rather like the 6.5/.308 (.260 Remington), myself. Splits the difference in diameter, bullet weight from 95 to 160 grains, with better selections in the 120-140 grain range. Mild recoil, too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top