Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Where do each of you get this .30 carbine soft point ammo from?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
SKS no contest
cheaper, more powerful, ammo much more plentiful and alot cheaper

unless you want a collectors item

I personally love M1 carbines  but hate the caliber
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Georgia Arms is perhaps the most cost-effective source, unless you roll your own then you can do it cheaper still.    You can buy Remington JSP ammo from Natchez, etc. as well as Winchester jacketed soft points.

I'd still take my M1 carbine over an SKS and over any pistol - heck, if I could CCW it without causing a fuss I probably would.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The M1 carbine's a damned good little shooter, and has a few points going for it over the SKS. Loaded with a 30-rd magazine, it still doesn't weigh shit, so you can carry one for the rest of your life, and never feel it. Small size and light weight makes it easy and fast to handle in urban environments. An almost complete lack of recoil means that it's easier to keep rapid fire on target. Detachable mags make for faster reloading than you'll ever be able to do with a stripper clip. Better sights make it easier to fire accurately.

You can get some "tactical" add-ons for the M1, such as a PG stock, railed handguard, etc; they're just harder to find, and don't really make much difference unless you plan to mount a light to it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what I say to everyone that debates buying an SKS, "They are less than $200, what the &#(K are you thinking!" Everyone should own an SKS. No matter how little u make you can afford an SKS. If you want an M1 carbine, buy a USGI its worth the extra cash.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Georgia Arms is perhaps the most cost-effective source, unless you roll your own then you can do it cheaper still.    You can buy Remington JSP ammo from Natchez, etc. as well as Winchester jacketed soft points.

I'd still take my M1 carbine over an SKS and over any pistol - heck, if I could CCW it without causing a fuss I probably would.

I get mine from Midway.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was going into a situation (pick one), I'd probably pick the M1 carbine 9 of 10 times due to the lighter weight, quicker reloads, more ammo on person, faster follow up shots, and it does everything the SKS can do inside 200yds.  I'd take the SKS if the ranges were OBVIOUSLY going to be longer and I was going to be some sort of a marksman/sniper.  But otherwise, I'd take the M1 carbine.

Oh... and yes... buy both.  I did!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I must be missing something here . . .

SKS rifles run somewhere between $100 and $200 depending on country of origin and condition. Ammo is dirt cheap.

M1 Carbines (G.I. issues anyway) are higher than a cat's back. You can almost buy an AR for what folks are asking for decent M1 Carbines these days. We're talking at least $500 and possibly even as high as $700 or $800. Also, ammo is expensive for the M1 Carbine.

Doesn't seem like a realistic comparison to me.

I guess my life is worth the extra cash............
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get mine from Midway.

Surplus or fresh ammo?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned both a USGI M1 carbine and a Norinco SKS.
I liked the M1 carbine more - more accurate, mag fed, handled better.
I gave the SKS to a friend who was in need of a rifle, and it serves him well.
I think that both are fine rifles, if you accept the limitations of their designs.

However, if I only had one, it would be the M1 carbine.
While 7.62x39mm may be more powerful and have longer range than .30 carbine, that doesn't matter.
I can put more .30 carbine on target, quicker, and more accurately than I can 7.62, because the M1's sights are far superior.
If the SKS had better sights, it would come out ahead.
But reliability, power, and low cost mean nothing when there are shitty sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have owned both a USGI M1 carbine and a Norinco SKS.
I liked the M1 carbine more - more accurate, mag fed, handled better.
I gave the SKS to a friend who was in need of a rifle, and it serves him well.
I think that both are fine rifles, if you accept the limitations of their designs.

However, if I only had one, it would be the M1 carbine.
While 7.62x39mm may be more powerful and have longer range than .30 carbine, that doesn't matter.
I can put more .30 carbine on target, quicker, and more accurately than I can 7.62, because the M1's sights are far superior.
If the SKS had better sights, it would come out ahead.
But reliability, power, and low cost mean nothing when there are shitty sights.

I put these on 2 of my Yugos:

It really makes a hell of a difference.

Go to: www.tech-sights.com/

They just came out with this with an elevation adjustment:

If you already have the older sights, you can add the elevation adjustment for $9.00

to check them out.

Given that, I would still rather have my USGI carbine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
M1 Carbine.

It's handy, lighter, better sights, better controls, points better, blah blah blah.

But really, I prefer it because it's the rifle of the WINNERS.

SKS=commie gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top