User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it won't hold water, it won't hold a goat.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want to get goats you should fence the area.
If it won't hold water, it won't hold a goat.  

Ding ding ding or get their head stuck in
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What I did was clear a decent path to run the electric fencing(used a push mower...LOL),pound in a hundred or so T-posts in the height of Summer,then run five strands of 14g wire all the way round,up and down the hills.
This is all very good exercise.

Then let goats in,and watch to see if they find any spots to escape(ours are easy on fences).

Then walk the fenceline every once in a while to get the small trees the goats have pushed over onto the wire.

We have about thirty Boer goats,it would probably take them a while to clear ten acres,but they will clear it down to eating the bark off any trees.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are actually companies that rent goat herds for this very purpose. They could clean out 10ac in 2 days

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

And they will fence the area in for the goats although  it's a temporary  fence.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Another option...pigs.

We have our pigs in the woods,they do a VERY good job of clearing everything at ground level,however they will also root things up.
Upside is,the fencing doesn't have to be as tall,and once big enough they won't need to be protected from predators if there are a few of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
"To test if a fence is goat proof, throw a bucket of water at it. If the water goes through it, so will a goat."

If you have coyotes or feral dogs in your area, you should also have a couple of guard donkeys to protect the goats.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"To test if a fence is goat proof, throw a bucket of water at it. If the water goes through it, so will a goat."
View Quote

Really depends upon the goats,and whether what is on the other side is more tempting.
We have two young ones who would go under the hot wire,it was worth the occasional shock to them to get out.
They have basically outgrown that now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Roundup.
You can get a sprayer for your ATV.
Don't spray it on anything you want to keep.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are actually companies that rent goat herds for this very purpose. They could clean out 10ac in 2 days

View Quote

DC did this for the old congressional cemetery. Plus goats are cool animals
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Roundup.

View Quote

would rather have the goats.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fence in the property, or build pens you can move.
DO NOT TIE THEM UP!!!!!
Goats are  very stupid. They will walk in a circle around a tree or bush until they run out of rope and strangle themselves.  
They work great for clearing land but you need sturdy pens.
We used to use 20 sixteen foot cattle panels and move them about once a week.
Tie the lens with strong wire, they will eat rope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gents,

I'm looking to buy a ten acre plot of land. It has a nice variety of trees but a ton of vines, prickler bushes (the single strand purple kind) and knee high random weeds. I'd like to open the land up a bit, right now it's so thick it's almost inaccessible in certain areas.

I'm wondering what's the best way to do this (best as in least amount of work). One friend suggested goats. He said I could tie it up with a 40 foot or so leash and let it go to town, then periodically move it and let him do the work.

I don't know shit about goats, is this a good suggestion?

Any other ideas?

Fence in the property, or build pens you can move.
DO NOT TIE THEM UP!!!!!
Goats are  very stupid. They will walk in a circle around a tree or bush until they run out of rope and strangle themselves.  
They work great for clearing land but you need sturdy pens.
We used to use 20 sixteen foot cattle panels and move them about once a week.
Tie the lens with strong wire, they will eat rope.

Goats are not stupid.  In fact they are highly intelligent and easily trainable.  They also have cognitive memory and problem solving abilities.   A puzzle solving study was done on them.  They were given a two step puzzle feeder.  When they figured it out, it was taken away for 10 months.  When it was reintroduced, they were able to remember how to solve it within minutes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Goats do a really good job at keeping the grass down but unlike their reputation, they won't eat everything. It makes it a lot easier to pull the few problem weeds/cane when they have cleared out most of the shrubbery. I like those little dog sized goats, FUN!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Cabrillo tacos....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Goats are also browsers, not grazers so much so they will destroy bushes, weeds etc... not grass..  sheep are grazers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Goats are also browsers, not grazers so much so they will destroy bushes, weeds etc... not grass..  sheep are grazers.
View Quote

Yep, that's why I run a mixed herd. Barbado, Dall and Painted Desert sheep alongside my mutt goats. They do a good job of keeping the scrub cleared and grass short.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the terrain and your location and your end goal. But we use disk mulchers on large tracked front end loaders, anything too big gets pushed over with an excavator
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

270 goats + 4 days cleared 22 acres of scrub oak saplings here, on terrain you wouldn't want to walk across and you certainly couldn't drive a tractor on

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 acres in two days?     That's a couple hundred goats.

270 goats + 4 days cleared 22 acres of scrub oak saplings here, on terrain you wouldn't want to walk across and you certainly couldn't drive a tractor on

That's impressive. How did they get them to your property?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roundup.

I think there's a common ARF pejorative regarding a preference for goats, but I'll just give you these.
Glyphosate
ENVIRONMENTAL FATE OF GLYPHOSATE

OP asked for the "best as in least amount of work" option to defoliate 10 acres. Glyphosate and/or 2,4-D will do the job without having to build a fence or rent animals.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#19]
If you fence the thing in goats are not a bad idea.

Realize that you can't just plop in a dozen goats and walk away, and come back next year to find 2 dozen goats.

You will need to provide water source, shelter (3ft by 5ft per goat, three walls and a roof is sufficient), and checking in on them twice a day, at least briefly to make sure there are none that have gotten through a hole in the fence, walking with a limp, or any other issue.  

Goats might gnaw very small saplings, but won't take down trees thicker than your forearm.  They'll eat the foliage, which may kill it.

Goats will be a lot of work in the long run. This is why there are actually companies that will do this for you with goats.

However, unless you are fixated on goats, just go rent a forestry mower or forestry mulcher and get it done, or hire a guy who has one to get it done.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuckin' kids these days.  Hard work never killed nobody.  Buy a machete, you nancy.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuckin' kids these days.  Hard work never killed nobody.  Buy a machete, you nancy.  

View Quote

I have poison ivy on my property.  I tried to machete through it.

It was a mistake.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was a mistake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a mistake.

Quit being a girl.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was a mistake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a mistake.

Bushhog through poison ivy? What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where would you get a goat?
View Quote

Muhammad the goat fucker seller?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top