BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read and watched the attached commentary. It seems that this whole thing is about money. It mentions that the person that aided Luttrel got nothing and is living in the US on food stamps, while Luttrel made a good amount of money.

I don't know anything other than I read the book and watched the film. I don't know about failed redundant communications or evacuation planning. I know that some people did not get to spend their last moments with their family which is terrible. Anytime money is involved things get dirty, but I would be hesitant to believe the claims of this guy over Luttrel. Food stamps in the USA is a whole lot better than goats and no plumbing not to mention the flow of terrorists where he came from.
View Quote

I guess as long as he has food stamps... a man's word don't amount to nothing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
With the money he made you would think he would have bought the guy a house and sent him to school and learned english.

Also you would think he could have got the guys family here as well, that dude saved his life.

Hell you Lutrell could have set up this guy go fund me account and he would have over a 100k in a week.

Free

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Could it be Gulab is butthurt after the way Marcus treated him?
View Quote

wondering that also.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this another case of a false hero?
View Quote

Nah, I wouldn't go as far to call Luttrell a hero or false hero.

They fucked up and paid a very, very heavy price.

I never use the term hero lightly, and by Luttrell's own admission he "gave up" on Mike when he needed him most. That makes him human, not a false hero.

I think the narrative that Lone Survivor puts forth is a "cleaned up" version of what happened, written to make the SEALs sound more superhuman than they actually are.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

wondering that also.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wondering that also.

But many for years have questioned the account as it just did not add up or make sense.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah, I posted a thread on that and the leg humpers tried to fling poo at me. Oh well, that is what fan monkeys do, hump legs and fling poo.....

HumpLeg/FlingPoo
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
let the stories meet in the middle...where truth normally lies....
View Quote

actually, no.

OJ either killed his wife or he didn't.  there is not something in between.  

Either they were attacked by hundreds of taliban and there was an epic battle or there wasn't.  

One of the most amazing stories in history.

4 people involved; 3 NCs and a medal of honor.

multiple books and even a movie.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gulab came to Texas and shot guns and hung out with Marcus on 60 minutes.
They seemed to get along great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But apparently when he left back for Afghanistan Marcus broke promises and kind of shunned him after the movie premiere.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

... Probably nothing, considering the rescue team was killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read on here before that it didn't go like Lutrell portrayed it at all but who the hell knows. It's not my place to question or judge.

I have friends that were on the rescue team, last time I voiced my opinion of luttrell I was cussed constantly.

I'll bite my tongue this time but let's just say I'm no fan of him

what did they say happened

... Probably nothing, considering the rescue team was killed.

He means the Rangers that picked him up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 11 loaded magazines he had makes you go WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wondering that also.

But many for years have questioned the account as it just did not add up or make sense.

I always found it hard to believe that he tumbled down that mountain with his MK12 taking a fucking beating and not only did the glass not break, but it actually retained it's zero... Because after all that he shoots a dude in the head at 150 yards, IIRC.

That always seem... suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like a Cluster Fuck for everyone involved
View Quote

Just finished reading the link, this post nails it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#14]
oh yeah he is a Hell of a guy

got rich and lives off his celebrity in gun culture..

“Let me put this out to you, man. I applaud him [Obama] for trying to do something, alright.”

Something has to be done. I mean, I think that should be said, too. Everybody takes jabs at him but he’s trying to do something. I get that,” Luttrell argued. “And I’m not 100 percent on this, but didn’t they open up that if you get a psych eval and the doc thinks you’re crazy he can turn you over to the feds?”

“I don’t know if that’s internet lure or that’s part and parcel of this. Because my understanding and I’ve read it,” Smerconish said. “What he’s trying to do is identify who is a hobbyist at gun sales and to make people subject to background checks. That’s the bottom line. It seems pretty modest, frankly.”
“Yeah. I don’t see, why is that a problem? I mean, people get driver’s licenses and — I don’t think that’s an issue. In 2016, I don’t think that that’s a problem,” Luttrell said.

“Marcus, they may yank you off that NRA ad, if they hear you say that,” Smerconish interjected.

“To have people with — with psychological problems have a background check before they can buy a weapon? I don’t think the NRA would pull me off that one,” Luttrell said. “If they do, then I need to be pulled off it because… you can’t give a weapon to someone who has mental issues, right.”

I plan to mention this at the NRA convention nest week and if I can get to him with a video camera I am gonna ask him to is face
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck ML.
That's all, move along.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But apparently when he left back for Afghanistan Marcus broke promises and kind of shunned him after the movie premiere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess: Gulab reminds Luttrell of his dead team mates and the BS cover story. I think he shuns him because of the guilt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

actually, no.

Either they were attacked by hundreds of taliban and there was an epic battle or there wasn't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

What's your analysis of the tactical conditions that would lead to 7-12 Taliban ( most likely true) so easily killing 3 SEALs? I would think the SEALs, who were not moving and attempting to stay in cover, would have some tactical advantage and could have killed quite a few of the Taliban.

Unless the SEALs just completely screwed the pooch and were just caught flat footed.

Either way the book's account seems highly unlikely.

I wonder if the Navy officially crafted the hero seals narrative and told Marcus to run with it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's your analysis of the tactical conditions that would lead to 7-12 Taliban ( most likely true) so easily killing 3 SEALs? I would think the SEALs, who were not moving and attempting to stay in cover, would have some tactical advantage and could have killed quite a few of the Taliban.

Unless the SEALs just completely screwed the pooch and were just caught flat footed.

I wonder if the Navy officially crafted the hero seals narrative and told Marcus to run with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

Shit like that is exactly what happens when you let dudes off the street be "special forces" with zero prior infantry training.
It was all piss poor planning that they are notorious for.

SEALs are not nearly as bad ass as your average American thinks they are.
His narrative probably was crafted by some higher ups, they couldn't have SEALs looking like a bunch of amateurs getting overran by maybe a dozen dudes with rusty AKs.

It's a touchy subject I know I read his book and took some of it with a grain of salt but the more and more I looked into it and read about it myself the clearer it became that alot of what went down was fabricated.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Great read.  Regardless of what happened, either according to Marcus' account or otherwise, I am certain that I do feel bad for Gulab.  2+ years ago, I made a thread in GD asking about him and why he hadn't been permanently moved.  Glad it eventually happened, though his living conditions now and the wait it took to get him here are fairly abysmal for a guy who did defend Marcus, no matter what happened on that mountain.

I'm probably going to donate to the GoFundMe in the article.  Its only at $5215 right now with a $650k goal.  It's not going to get there, but I admire the man for putting his life and the lives of his family on the line to help one of our own.  I'll probably give what I can.  If he was local, I'd do more.

If anyone else feels compelled to donate to him to help him out, the link is in the article near the bottom.  I won't post it here, because it would violate fundraising rules I'm sure.  I bet if a bunch of us kicked in $20+, it could go a long way to getting his feet properly on the ground here in America and give him a bit of a brighter future than what he was right now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

wading ass deep into indian territory with no experience, no planning and no humility is a good way to get your ass beat.
I have had only a few interactions with seals.  they were all very, very bad.

ridiculously and infuriatingly bad.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read and watched the attached commentary. It seems that this whole thing is about money. It mentions that the person that aided Luttrel got nothing and is living in the US on food stamps, while Luttrel made a good amount of money.

I don't know anything other than I read the book and watched the film. I don't know about failed redundant communications or evacuation planning. I know that some people did not get to spend their last moments with their family which is terrible. Anytime money is involved things get dirty, but I would be hesitant to believe the claims of this guy over Luttrel. Food stamps in the USA is a whole lot better than goats and no plumbing not to mention the flow of terrorists where he came from.

I don't invest much in what Marcus Luttrell says based on my observances throughout the years and as far as this Gulab is concerned, he follows and praises the Hadiths, Sura and Quran etc. and that, not his infidel supplied free food, is what makes his word worthless to me.

In my view, he and Marcus' claims are equally dubious.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

Well the article suggests that the people in the area heard the choppers when they dropped the squad off at night and that they were tracked that day.  It suggests that the insurgents zeroed in on the SEALS when they were debating what to do with the goat herders and waited to attack/ambush them until after they had released the herders so as not to harm them in a crossfire.

It seems to me that that account could be plausible.  If the team truly came to the conclusion that they'd release the herders, then hike up to a higher vantage point to try to get comms and exfil, then its certainly possible they wouldn't have been prepared for such an immediate ambush thereafter.  They could easily have been wrong-footed, especially against a coordinated group of attackers that had been lying in wait and preparing to strike.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
What's not in dispute is that Gulab saved Luttrell's life at great personal risk to himself and his family. And is now living in Texas on food stamps. Marcus Luttrell has a strange way of showing gratitude to the man who saved his life.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have friends that were on the rescue team, last time I voiced my opinion of luttrell I was cussed constantly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read on here before that it didn't go like Lutrell portrayed it at all but who the hell knows. It's not my place to question or judge.

I've read many times that there are some extreme exaggerations and outright fabrications in the story of that event. I'd be interested in hearing what you've been told by people who were there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I've both  been part of and was "in country" for some major operations involving high profile units.

They did not always go as reported. When one operation that involved us, CAG, and 22 SAS went south and a 22nd guy died I was chastised for disagreeing with "the report" and was told "you weren't there!"

Uh, yes I was....and that's not how it happened. But preserving "hero" status was more important.

No different in some stateside LE operations that involved a major shootout ...some LEO flat out displayed cowardice...but it was overlooked and they got a medal,for their bravery and "wounds" .....even though it was "friendly fire"

People like a good story.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

actually, no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

And millions of U.S. dollars... Let's not forget that part...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't know what to believe anymore.
View Quote
The guy who help write the book is known for his books on battles so I am sure he embellished a bit.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I would expect some "embellishment" in a book and even more in a movie....but something doesn't seem right here. I'm starting to get the impression that ML didn't just get to cover the quickest, he split.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I want to know who the fuck is buying Luttrell's line of clothing and ammo?
View Quote
Operators

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shit like that is exactly what happens when you let dudes off the street be "special forces" with zero prior infantry training.

His narrative probably was crafted by some higher ups, they couldn't have SEALs looking like a bunch of amateurs getting overran by maybe a dozen dudes with rusty AKs.

It's a touchy subject I know I read his book and took some of it with a grain of salt but the more and more I looked into it and read about it myself the clearer it became that alot of what went down was fabricated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

The bit about SEALS not having infantry training to fall back on his one of the more interesting things I've read about here. Not something you'd think of, but it makes sense.

Quoted:
What's not in dispute is that Gulab saved Luttrell's life at great personal risk to himself and his family. And is now living in Texas on food stamps. Marcus Luttrell has a strange way of showing gratitude to the man who saved his life.

And from what I understand (and was touched on in that article), he and others that helped out the US mil over there had a lot of trouble getting into the US, too, even if they were in danger. I'm not pro immigration in the least, but it seems like we should have let those people and their families here if theyre in danger for helping us out. Maybe theres more to the story about them not being able to get in.. but I kind of doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, no.

Holy fucking retardery.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually, no.

If it was 12 Taliban, you had a 3 to 1 numerical advantage, the high ground, probably a PKM, and all the enemy combatants were absolutely willing to

kill without hesitation.  There is no training on earth that makes that advantage go away, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Sure we will...
SEALs notoriously under-plan ops and "wing it."
They had a really bad exfil plan and didn't have redundant communication capabilities.
They got into a firefight with 10-20 dudes and got their shit pushed in.
A bunch of good people got killed trying to unfuck the situation.
Luttrell wrote a book, embellished the truth (especially when to came to the size of the force that they encountered) to cover his ass.
They made a movie out of it.
The end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll never know the truth about that one.

Sure we will...
SEALs notoriously under-plan ops and "wing it."
They had a really bad exfil plan and didn't have redundant communication capabilities.
They got into a firefight with 10-20 dudes and got their shit pushed in.
A bunch of good people got killed trying to unfuck the situation.
Luttrell wrote a book, embellished the truth (especially when to came to the size of the force that they encountered) to cover his ass.
They made a movie out of it.
The end.

I never watched the movie, and didn't read the book...

But I've seen what happens when chest thumpers get a reality check...and I pretty much believe MP's hypo is what happened.

I have never done anything other than bread and butter Infantry stuff, but a lot of that was as a QRF PL.  I've been dispatched and was on site for a few inexcusable (eta Longtabber) fuck ups due to complacency and have heard what gets reported to the 2 and 3 afterwards, and it didn't look like anything I saw happening on the ground.

This is why I don't do hero worship of living men.

ETA my "it's raining men" story that I've told a few times in GD was one of the longtabber fuck ups I noted above.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh my God a military guy lied . What the fuck else is new .
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Question marks apparently.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I didn't realize what a dick he was to Gulab.
View Quote

Even tried to get him sent back to Afghanistan
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wondering that also.

If true that was the most shocking part of the article.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I wasn't there.  I dare say, neither was anybody on this thread.  The truth is probably out there.  I, for one, have no right to pass judgement either way.  

Given the GD track record, neither do most here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This thread is a Category 5 Shit Storm brewing.
View Quote

With F5 feeder bands

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#42]

And fuck him......
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#43]
....newsweek ? i don't trust them to report the whole truth about anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wasn't there.  I dare say, neither was anybody on this thread.  The truth is probably out there.  I, for one, have no right to pass judgement either way.  

View Quote

I remember killing and capturing all of Ahmad Shah's friends. Luttrell was full of shit from the get go...and anyone who contradicted the hero worship was shot down and insulted immediately.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one has to have been there to understand that the story isn't holding water...

And other mil experts have chimed in and are calling BS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I cared for a response I would have posed it as a question . Thanks for playing .
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, I have a couple hundred trips outside the wire under my belt. I haven't done anything high speed, but I have been in some pretty serious scrapes.  I know enough to suspect when smoke is being blown up asses to cover fuck ups.  I've also seen pride, in the form of complacency, goeth before a couple of ugly falls.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I always questioned the whole "moral conundrum of do we kill the goat ranchers or not.. we had to take a vote."

You are on a reconnaissance mission and you don't have a solid SOP to deal with contact?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
....newsweek ? i don't trust them to report the whole truth about anything.
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course there are people here who might have the experience and knowledge to pass judgement. The "if you weren't there then shut up" method doesn't allow for much accountability or improvement. As for the GD track record, it all depends on who is talking. There are people here weighing in who I don't even particularly like, but I know they have the experience to back up what they're saying and while I may not 100% trust them, I would be dumb to ignore them
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top