Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a shitty route to hold a race.
View Quote

Yep.  As a race promoter (I am) you don't hold timed events on a course that crosses tracks.  There is no set schedule for freight trains (I checked for mine) so you either avoid it or roll the dice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Here's the railroaders and railfans talking about it.
View Quote

Railroad right-of-way is better than state or local right of way.

When you see a road "crossing" at railroad track, the road actually ends at the tracks and starts back up again on the other side.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep.  As a race promoter (I am) you don't hold timed events on a course that crosses tracks.  There is no set schedule for freight trains (I checked for mine) so you either avoid it or roll the dice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a shitty route to hold a race.

That may be the case where you are, but I've run a few that crossed tracks and the organizers did, in fact, coordinate to ensure no trains were scheduled during the race. Of course, based on the events in the OP, you could always get fucked on that arrangement...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why? The train appears to be stopped and those people are pressing on to finish their marathon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why? The train appears to be stopped and those people are pressing on to finish their marathon.

Arfcom fatties hate fitness and people trying to be fit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Those faggoty assholes shouldn't be allowed to use the roads unless they get registration and pay road tax!  

Roads are for cars, not runners.
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Suburbanites will do anything for a free t-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]

We used to have that all the time with parades in my town. The LIRR track runs right through the middle of the parade route.

Only they don't stop.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

wow, what a train wreck. Those ass holes derailed that marathon. Those runners were just chugging along.
View Quote

I bet the poor train engineer gets railroaded by his bosses.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do not agree with the idea that it is the Train companies fault. The planners from the marathon should have contacted them during pre route planning.
If they did and the train was off schedule then that would be different.
As for the runners looking like herded cats....... I wouldn't disrespect cats like that
View Quote

I guess reading the article is just too tough for you? It clearly states that they had been coordinating with the railroad for MONTHS before the race, and that one of the railroad supervisors FUCKED UP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those faggoty assholes shouldn't be allowed to use the roads unless they get registration and pay road tax!  

View Quote

Wholeheartedly agree.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I see what you both did there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't derail this thread

Quoted:
So that isn't something the runners train for?

I see what you both did there

Hey, let's get this back on track!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The one picture shows runners climbing on the cars and the conductor yelling at them.  What a cluster.  It should happen more often.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Idiots(the runners RUNNING in front of the train).
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would add bicyclist to the list.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the joke.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, these races don't just happen on the spur of a moment....
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't derail this thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't derail this thread

Lets not make people lose their train of thought.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't derail this thread

I will not be railroaded into groupthink
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The "special snowflake syndrome" has reached such epic proportions here that joggers will run IN THE FUCKING STREET when there's a sidewalk immediately next to them

I guess they're showing solidarity with their bicycling brothers or something, but I take great pleasure in rolling down my window and telling them to get the fuck out of the road.

I don't mind cyclists who actually obey the rules and aren't out to attention whore and block traffic, but I still think one of the best things about being a runner (besides not having to wear spandex and spend the equivalent of a PVS14 on a bicycle) is that most of the world is indifferent rather than actively hostile to you
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The one picture shows runners climbing on the cars and the conductor yelling at them.  What a cluster.  It should happen more often.
View Quote

+1

And give everyone knives and batons.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
While working on draw bridges that have railways on them I've learned that Trains>marine traffic>roadway traffic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]

The "special snowflake syndrome" has reached such epic proportions here that joggers will run IN THE FUCKING STREET when there's a sidewalk immediately next to them

I guess they're showing solidarity with their bicycling brothers or something, but I take great pleasure in rolling down my window and telling them to get the fuck out of the road.

Asphalt is a lot softer and less conducive to shin splints than concrete.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Asphalt is a lot softer and less conducive to shin splints than concrete.
View Quote

The truly idiotic people in some of these pics seem to have a similar mindset to the suicidal cyclists in my area.  Basically, "fuck you, fuck everything, the world revolves around my hobby right now".   Nevermind the narrow 2-lane highway with blind curves, we're going to pedal in the middle of the motherfucking road instead of on the adjacent parallel bike path.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The truly idiotic people in some of these pics seem to have a similar mindset to the suicidal cyclists in my area.  Basically, "fuck you, fuck everything, the world revolves around my hobby right now".   Nevermind the narrow 2-lane highway with blind curves, we're going to pedal in the middle of the motherfucking road instead of on the adjacent parallel bike path.
View Quote

Are you in the St. George Utah area? I swear the mouth breathing bikers are drawn to that area and refuse to use the bike paths that city has provided for them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, how dare they not consider something so important as a marathon while planning their trivial task of moving goods and materials from A to B.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They stopped the train?

Marathons are generally yearly, and thus planned very, very far in advance.  Whoever scheduled that train to be there at that time is the one who fucked up, not the runners of the race.

Yeah, how dare they not consider something so important as a marathon while planning their trivial task of moving goods and materials from A to B.

Seriously. #@$% marathons, use a park, sidewalks or learn to run on *gasp* dirt. Don't shut down entire streets like a Critical Mass event
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
why  cant they just run around a track and see who can go the most times,  its the same thing and no trains, cars, airplanes,  goats or isis to worry about........
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Now with a slight obstacle course.

But a young supervisor thought he had more time than what he really did
to get the train through, Goldman said, and made a decision that ended
up being a bad call.

Goldman said the railroad intends to look closer at what happened,
especially because nothing like it has happened during his time at the
railroad — and he is confident that there will not be similar incidents
in the future.

Andy Pajakowski, a race organizer, tried to negotiate with railroad
personnel on the scene, to no avail. Eventually, the train blew a long
blast from its horn and started to move forward with runners in the
vicinity.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Isn't a marathon 26 miles?  Ain't like the train added or subtracted distance to the race.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Lol. That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I assume the rail company owns the land that the tracks are on. Their tracks, their rules.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Isn't a marathon 26 miles?  Ain't like the train added or subtracted distance to the race.
View Quote

26.2 miles- lot of runners take their time VERY seriously...

Wife and I did NYC in '94- my time was 4:38- it took nearly 20 minutes to cross the start line after the gun went off.

Just to be there and finish was awsome- first and last full marathon for me.....

But yeah, there's an entitlement attitude among a lot of runners- not so much in the back of the pack.....

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Vinny Gambini: Does that freight train come through here at 5:00 A.M. every morning?

Hotel Clerk: No, sir, it's very unusual.

Vinny Gambini: [the next day, after Vinny was awakened by the train] Yesterday you told me that freight train hardly ever comes through here at 5:00 A.M. in the morning.

Hotel Clerk: I know. She's supposed to come through at ten after 4:00.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bicyclists riding down a street blocking traffic is hardly the same as a planned and cordoned off running route.  The same for a cordoned off bike race.   Good try though
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
wow, what a train wreck. Those ass holes derailed that marathon. Those runners were just chugging along.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The trains "inconvenienced" a marathon? And some folks are pissing and moaning over it? Marathon was planned well in advance? Sounds like piss poor planning considering the goddamn tracks were already there for at least the better part of a fucking century so it wasn't like the event planners couldn't plan a route that avoided the damn tracks; I mean the tracks were only hiding out in plain fucking sight. Fucking crayon eating mother fuckers.

If you're going to bitch about something, at least bitch about the right things.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The trains "inconvenienced" a marathon? And some folks are pissing and moaning over it? Marathon was planned well in advance? Sounds like piss poor planning considering the goddamn tracks were already there for at least the better part of a fucking century so it wasn't like the event planners couldn't plan a route that avoided the damn tracks; I mean the tracks were only hiding out in plain fucking sight. Fucking crayon eating mother fuckers.

If you're going to bitch about something, at least bitch about the right things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Ooops.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Woman up front with her arms up in a WTF? moment.  Guy in the gray turns right, "Fuck this, I can run and beat the train."
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now with a slight obstacle course.

http://dgc27lrrryz1d.cloudfront.net/assets/local_story_media/Runners-derailed_1411820763/20140928cr_marathon_train_07al.jpg

But a young supervisor thought he had more time than what he really did to get the train through, Goldman said, and made a decision that ended up being a bad call.

Goldman said the railroad intends to look closer at what happened, especially because nothing like it has happened during his time at the railroad — and he is confident that there will not be similar incidents in the future.

Andy Pajakowski, a race organizer, tried to negotiate with railroad personnel on the scene, to no avail. Eventually, the train blew a long blast from its horn and started to move forward with runners in the vicinity.

View Quote

Single long blast prior to forward movement? Weird.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I put marathon runners in the same fucked up category as bicycle riders
I hope to God that train didn't stop for those idiots and that it just happened to be parked there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Getting the Boston Qualified(BQ) time doesn't mean it will get in it anymore. They need a BQ-1:02 for next year.

Thank god I got in with a BQ-4:54 for 2015. This would have definitely suck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Paul Moore: It must be nice to always believe you know better, to always think you're the smartest person in the room.

Jane Craig: No. It's awful.

READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#47]
good trolling
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Then the runners were stupid. Fair enough.

But it sounds as if the train conductor was a fucking prick for pushing through when he shouldn't have and fucking up an event that was likely planned a year in advance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The train only stopped because he was forced to, the runners were crossing in front of it.  

Then the runners were stupid. Fair enough.

But it sounds as if the train conductor was a fucking prick for pushing through when he shouldn't have and fucking up an event that was likely planned a year in advance.

If they were not informed by the dispatcher to stop and wait for the runners, then they are obligated to keep moving as long as the situation is safe for them to do so.  Sounds like the railroad's dispatch center dropped the ball, or someone within the railroad did not pass the request for a traffic window to handle the race on to the dispatchers.

This is a similar situation where the train was not told to stop outside of town and they plowed into the parade float with all the disabled veterans on board at the grade crossing in the middle of town.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Meh, trains piss me off around my work when they stop or go really slow on the tracks.

They'd ought to be fined for impeding traffic when they do that, just like I would be if I stopped my car in the middle of the road to unload it.

Oh, and these races are planned and permitted in advance, and the roads are cordoned off.  I don't see how you can compare that with road cyclists.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[If they were not informed by the dispatcher to stop and wait for the runners, then they are obligated to keep moving as long as the situation is safe for them to do so.  Sounds like the railroad's dispatch center dropped the ball, or someone within the railroad did not pass the request for a traffic window to handle the race on to the dispatchers..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[If they were not informed by the dispatcher to stop and wait for the runners, then they are obligated to keep moving as long as the situation is safe for them to do so.  Sounds like the railroad's dispatch center dropped the ball, or someone within the railroad did not pass the request for a traffic window to handle the race on to the dispatchers..

perhaps the OP's linked article contains important, relevant information?

such as:

A train rolled across the marathon course less than 20 minutes after the 7:30 a.m. start as it crossed through Mill Race Park by Lindsey Street, just as waves of marathon and half-marathon runners were approaching.

That wasn't the plan, according to race organizers and railroad officials.

Bartholomew County Emergency Operations Center Director Ed Reuter said marathon organizers had been assured by the Louisville & Indiana Railroad that no trains would come through. They had communicated back and forth for months leading up to race day.

"We always cooperate and stop train traffic," said John Goldman, Louisville & Indiana Railroad president. "That was our intent this morning as well."

The plan was for the train to go through before the race, Mayor Kristen Brown said.

But a young supervisor thought he had more time than what he really did to get the train through, Goldman said, and made a decision that ended up being a bad call.

Goldman said the railroad intends to look closer at what happened, especially because nothing like it has happened during his time at the railroad — and he is confident that there will not be similar incidents in the future.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top