Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Boone Packer Slings get the job done, are adjustable, and cheap. They are also what the Vtac sling was based off of.

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=25
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal preference is the BFG VCAS, padded or not.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.  I need to get a sling myself.  I know jack shit about AR slings.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boone Packer Slings get the job done, are adjustable, and cheap. They are also what the Vtac sling was based off of.

View Quote

Boonie Packer stuff was State of the art in 1996, I used one in the military, it was the only serious option aside from the carry strap offered on the weapon.
GAU-5/A/A with Boonie Packer BP43 Military and a Reflex on a Carry Handle Mount... All of which are superceded by "Better Stuff"

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'll get made fun of but, I was always was a fan of the specter gear SOP deployment sling....not super highspeed but it made it through two combat deployments in good shape and if you are actually going to be wearing the rifle A LOT, walking around with it, and trying to use your hands while you wear it....I never found anything better.

http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=200
View Quote

Link made hot.

This is the sling that rides on all my ARs...
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the Emdom Gunslinger.  Discontinued, unfortunately.  REALLY comfortable and convertible sling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm partial to the Emdom Gunslinger.

ETA: probably will be going with a simple Israeli style sling on the next build.

Quoted:
Seat belt sling, wish I could remember what brand mine is, but its 1"nylon to 2" seat belt.  Soft and flexible without the thickness of pad.

That's the Emdom Gunslinger.  Discontinued, unfortunately.  REALLY comfortable and convertible sling.

That's disappointing. I've got one on my AR and it's comfortable and easy to adjust. The ability to convert to 1-point with a front HK or MASH hook is nice, too.

I have a Gear Sector GS-2P and a Boonie Packer sling that are nice too.

The Boonie Packer has the 1.5" webbing which makes it comfy but harder to put in sling mounts. Inexpensive too: I got mine for around $20.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Boonie Packer stuff was State of the art in 1996, I used one in the military, it was the only serious option aside from the carry strap offered on the weapon.
GAU-5/A/A with Boonie Packer BP43 Military and a Reflex on a Carry Handle Mount... All of which are superceded by "Better Stuff"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_3926.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_3926.jpg

Other than the Reflex being in low earth orbit your setup looks pretty nice. I could never get used to a 3-point, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
IDF sling with metal clips.

Functional, never in the way of your charging handle, super adjustable, and very comfortable to carry. Also won't hit you in the nuts nearly as badly as a 1-point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Made my own with an Alice pack strap adjuster, nylon webbing, a couple push button QD swivels and one of those Viking QD things that goes on the strap.  Can be used as 2 point or 1 point and works great, most expensive part was the Viking thingy, total cost was less than 40 bucks.

ETA: you can sort of see it in this pic.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/hadriel_photos/4ACB4230-D16D-4EFB-AC3B-A77C7F4EF412-5452-00000411E3485975.jpg
View Quote

You should make yourself a new quilt while you are at it.

ETA: VTAC padded for all my rifles and carbines alike.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Vickers padded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used the VTAC, Vickers, Magpul MS2 and Magpul MS3.  The MS3 is my favorite.  It does everything I need it to do and the ability to go from single point to quick-adjust 2-point in seconds is great.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Blue force 2 point is by far my favorite sling, I have 3 of them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Blue Force Gear - Vickers Sling
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This! Was wondering if anyone would post it.

Patrol Sling

Anything else feels flimsy to me (and I've tried a bunch)

ETA:

I used a modified Spec-Ops MAMBA on deployment and it worked very well. The patrol sling is essentially the same but wider tubular webbing. Still has the band for stretch and quick length adjustment.

May not be what these fools call tier 1 but it's K.I.S.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spec Ops 2 point patrol sling

best one I've found

This! Was wondering if anyone would post it.

Patrol Sling

Anything else feels flimsy to me (and I've tried a bunch)

ETA:

I used a modified Spec-Ops MAMBA on deployment and it worked very well. The patrol sling is essentially the same but wider tubular webbing. Still has the band for stretch and quick length adjustment.

May not be what these fools call tier 1 but it's K.I.S.S.

I like it because its adjustable and the bungee means I don't get strangled to death when it gets caught on something or I'm fighting some asshole for my rifle. The thing is WAY over built too those plastic buckles take a hell of a lot more punishment than any other hardware out there. Ive tried all the fancy VCASTACSOPSUCK bullshit and theres always something wrong or it doesnt do this thing or that. I keep coming back to this sling.

I use a Midwest Industries rear end plate sling adaptor for the rear attachment. For the front attachment near the slip ring I use a 550 cord loop with the guts removed and replaced with 50lb picture hanging wire. Its a lot cheaper than the BFG universal wire loop and I can make about 8 for the same price and in whatever color I want. Those two items keep the sling attachment points at the perfect balance points on my M4.  

I used the wolfhook for a long time before I started doing more "footwork" and then I saw the light because dragging dead bodies and climbing over fences sucks with a one point sling. I like to take an extra name tape and sew it to the sling too. Just in case it gets passed around or lost some how.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome slings and family made in Ohio http://www.savvysniper.com/
View Quote

Thanks, never heard of them but I'm going to order a couple.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Spend a little money! Buy the padded VTAC and the Magpul ms3. Strip the 1" webbing out of the Magpul hardware and replace it with the VTAC webbing. Best of both worlds!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made my own with an Alice pack strap adjuster, nylon webbing, a couple push button QD swivels and one of those Viking QD things that goes on the strap.  Can be used as 2 point or 1 point and works great, most expensive part was the Viking thingy, total cost was less than 40 bucks.

ETA: you can sort of see it in this pic.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/hadriel_photos/4ACB4230-D16D-4EFB-AC3B-A77C7F4EF412-5452-00000411E3485975.jpg

There isn't a damn thing wrong with that quilt.  I'd bet his interior decor is attractive and well coordinated in both color and style.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the help guys. I went with the Magpul MS4 Dual QD sling, which is single point and dual point configurable.. It arrived yesterday and I like it. Seems extremely well made and doesn't have any excess strap mess hanging off, and you can change from single point to dual point and back without removing the weapon from your body. Like most Magpul products, they really put a lot of thought into the design.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#20]
VTAC, non-padded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I used the VTAC. LaRue branded, of course.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Larue Tactical, padded, all the AR's have one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Got two, they are great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDF sling

Got two, they are great.

Same here. Wide, solid, no plastic parts and only $20. But the most important feature is the sock that covers the snap attachment. It keeps the snap from tangling up and takes away the rattle noise you normally get there.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought kits from Strapworks

That way I got to use different pattern webbing, because I just had to be different

I used a flame pattern for mine

My son wanted tiger stripe

My sweet little girl wanted puppy paw prints
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#26]
No one's recommending an old-fashioned leather sling?  Probably not as comfortable as the newer stuff, but I like the retro look.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No one's recommending an old-fashioned leather sling?  Probably not as comfortable as the newer stuff, but I like the retro look.  
View Quote

Pre-tactical-craze slings are only good for slinging the rifle over your back. The newer tactical sling designs allow the rifle to be slung and then quickly shouldered for firing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#28]
VTAC, used with while deployed (And so did a bunch of other people) and it's awesome
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Cheap amazon single point one. Say what you will about the price, its actually built quite well
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#30]
... I like single-point

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Viking tactics padded.
View Quote

/thread

Using a green one on my M4 right now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Blue Force Gear padded and non padded, along with Magpul.

Either serves very well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like two-point slings, so I have the Gear Sector offering on each of my ARs.
View Quote

This .....

I like the G.S. also !
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Awesome slings and family made in Ohio http://www.savvysniper.com/
View Quote
Added to favorites!

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Viking Tactics padded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Blue Force Gear Padded is my favorite, and Endom Gunslinger my second of those I own.
Both 2 point, which I prefer, but I keep thinking about getting a convertable 2 to 1 point.

Just really happy with what I have
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's the Blue Force Gear sling I described earlier.  The wire loop can be threaded through a single-point sling adapter lock plate, or just slipped over the lover receiver extension.    The wire loop attaches to the sling via a quick-release buckle.  The carabiner can be used to secure the sling to the molly webbing on the back of your MTV or plate carrier.

Looks like OP already made his purchase, so just throwing this out there for S&G at this point.

I also have a BFG two-point sling that attaches to the weapon via standard QR sling swivels (one to the buttstock above, and the front to a KAS QR swivel adapter on the left side of the RAS rail.  For general use, I think rather highly of it.  

So many slings out there to choose from, not enough rifles to use them all.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I bought kits from Strapworks

That way I got to use different pattern webbing, because I just had to be different

I used a flame pattern for mine

My son wanted tiger stripe

My sweet little girl wanted puppy paw prints
View Quote
thanks I was trying to remember the company name,I've bought from them in the past but was having a brain fart

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#40]
MS3
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Magpul ASAP plate with MP2/3 sling is about universally accepted.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#42]
EMDOM Gunslinger sling, best sling I've ever used.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#43]
VTAC or Vickers padded.  The 2 point Larue sells doesn't look bad either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's what I used in A-stan on my AK with M4 stock.  I did put a loop of paracord through the HK hook on the back of my adaptor plate with a larkshead knot, as the hook part of the sling didn't fit through.  Worked GREAT, though, as I had to go from one point to two point quite often, such as when searching vehicles, etc.

I was using one of these from Blackhawk on the back of my stock adaptor:
http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-1253-IMG2.jpeg

ETA:  Nowadays, I'd go with a QD backplate with a QD-tipped Magpul MS-3.  Also looking very hard at a SIG 516 or M400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul MS2

It's what I used in A-stan on my AK with M4 stock.  I did put a loop of paracord through the HK hook on the back of my adaptor plate with a larkshead knot, as the hook part of the sling didn't fit through.  Worked GREAT, though, as I had to go from one point to two point quite often, such as when searching vehicles, etc.

I was using one of these from Blackhawk on the back of my stock adaptor:
http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-1253-IMG2.jpeg

ETA:  Nowadays, I'd go with a QD backplate with a QD-tipped Magpul MS-3.  Also looking very hard at a SIG 516 or M400.

You won't regret it. I put a Noveske end plate on my Sabre Defence, and a MI QD on the front end of my Gunslinger sling. It mounts in a Gear Sector QD mount on my left side front rail, the end plate, or the IWC Tri-Glide QD attachment point on the back part of my sling.

I like options.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
VCAS padded or a vtac

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

/thread, unless you have a 10.5" barrel or something.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#46]
        Banned

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Uh oh, ban hammer imminent!

13er ...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Vtac with hk hooks making it convertible from 2 pt to 1 pt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Got two, they are great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDF sling

Got two, they are great.

Got one. Works just fine but leaves me with a hankerin' for a different one
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy shit!  Just about lost my job because of this!  

buk
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top