User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My six year old daughter and I were taking a walk in my neighborhood one evening when a medium sized shiteater (dog) tore out the front door of a neighbors house really barking and coming toward my daughter and me. I ripped my Glock 23 loaded with 135 grain Cor-bons from my fanny pack and placed a round in the mid-section of the leg biter. He almost made it to the street when he fell motionless. My daughter was screaming, the neighbors brat was screaming, the neighbor was screaming.

I immediately took my daughter home (in fear the neighbor my start shooting at us).  I called the Sheriff's Dept from my house and waited on them to arrive at the neighbor's home. I returned with no Glock. The next two hours went by with a load of talk. I went home and the neighbor went back in the house and that was the end. If I had not done some conversative conversation it could have been ugly.

The bad thing was the neighbor had an invisible fence at the edge of the street. The dog according to them was going to stop. The Deputies(all three car loads) were very cool about it. Damn lucky I didn't get prosecuted. I moved the next summer to 40 acres with NO neighbors.

:

Great Example of a Legal shoot....you were in fear of you and your daughters safety...how are you to know that they had an invisible fence?

Not in Missouri.

I had something similar happen a little over a year ago.

After spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k-$5k on legal fees for my criminal defense, which involved a hung jury and a re-filing of the case, I'm about halfway through my 2 year probation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not in Missouri.

After spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k-$5k on legal fees for my criminal defense, which involved a hung jury and a re-filing of the case, I'm about halfway through my 2 year probation.

I remember that! You should have paid my expenses to represent you. The "victim's" owner would have to bring you 9 lbs of dog steak every St. Crispian's Day from now till the second Coming.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Missouri.

I remember that! You should have paid my expenses to represent you. The "victim's" owner would have to bring you 9 lbs of dog steak every St. Crispian's Day from now till the second Coming.

Don't know what your retainer is but I'm sure it and the plane ticket would have been worth it.

Plus we could have gone shooting afterwards.  

I guess you live and learn.

BTW Thanks for the encouragement at the time to fight the damn thing.  At least this way I won't have a record after my probation is up.

BTW2  The attorney that represented me is now running for prosecuting attorney.  

ETA Sorry for the hijack Digitalpunk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Big dog??
aggressive??
Feel like life is in jepardy??
Well let's see???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, the standard for animals is different than that for humans.  In most jurisdictions, if you are reasonably in fear of bodily injury from an animal, you may employ necessary force, including deadly force, against the animal to protect yourself.

How is that different than for humans?
In fear for your safety/safety of others = deadly force justified.

The difference is that with humans, you must be in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.  With an animal, you must only be in imminent danger of injury.  Again, check with your local laws. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, the standard for animals is different than that for humans.  In most jurisdictions, if you are reasonably in fear of bodily injury from an animal, you may employ necessary force, including deadly force, against the animal to protect yourself.

The difference is that with humans, you must be in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.  With an animal, you must only be in imminent danger of injury.  Again, check with your local laws. YMMV.

Your absolutely right, my post was wrong.  I was mistakenly thinking of a person being with the dog as a weapon or agent.  Of course, the standard for defending against a dog is lower than a person.  Of course, it's completely not worth making a mistake.  I'd rather get a nasty dog bite than end up getting sued for killing someones pet and running the risk of having a record or losing my "right" to bear arms.  

Of course, I only worry because I live in NJ where they're going to start crucifying gun owners soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your absolutely right, my post was wrong.  I was mistakenly thinking of a person being with the dog as a weapon or agent.  Of course, the standard for defending against a dog is lower than a person.  Of course, it's completely not worth making a mistake.  I'd rather get a nasty dog bite than end up getting sued for killing someones pet and running the risk of having a record or losing my "right" to bear arms.  

Of course, I only worry because I live in NJ where they're going to start crucifying gun owners soon.

I wouldn't.  I was a dog handler in the military and I have been bitten before, and if I believe that myself or a member of my family is in imminent danger of being bitten, I will light up that animal in a dead second.  A dog can do a helluva lot of permanent damage fast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Legal?  Nope, shooting dogs in the street is reserved only for those officially employed by our fine local gov'ts.  For anyone else to do it, it would be animal cruelty plus other charges.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So there is no difference.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So there is no difference.

Here, try this.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top