BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, the comment about not being as good as Black Sabbath got me out of my seat....Black Sabbath????? Hell, I remember when their first album came out. I thought thyey were a blatant
attempt to rip off Zeppelin.....with a quarter of the talent. And the satanic theme was way hoky.
Plant's control wasn't always what it could have been , and Page did tend to play a little sloppy,
but they were innovative  original and wrote a bunch of great songs.
They took a generation of us down a whole new direction in style and technique.
Sorry,, just got me fired up even putting Sabbath in the same room. Reminded me of that old Woodstock promo ad where some no playin' hippy stoner talks about how you can watch Alvin Lee's hands and see what a great musician he is............then they show scenes of people picking up trash while Hendrix is playing. HENDRIX! whose guitar case Alvin Lee wasn't worthy to carry........aaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]

<-----The best
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
As a drummer, I feel qualified to say that John Bonham is a badass!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
From "On this day in Led Zeppelin History":  

They declined an invitation from promoters Michael Lang and John Scher to play the first day of a three-day outdoor festival in Bethel, New York, on August 15. Led Zeppelin did, however, play nearby sheltered venues the following three days: at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey, the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, Connecticut, and at the Rockpile in Toronto, Ontario.

Over three days at Woodstock, Led Zeppelin would have shared the stage with some acts they otherwise would not have met or saw infrequently.

Since Robert Plant was into the San Francisco music scene, he could have watched the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead, or listened to some of his favorite acoustic groups, like the Incredible String Band or Crosby Stills Nash & Young. He certainly would have appreciated Tim Hardin's performance of "If I Were a Carpenter," a song which Plant covered many years later.

John Bonham could have showed up his fellow drummer and friend, Keith Moon of the Who.

John Paul Jones would have dug Sly & the Family Stone and the Blood Sweat & Tears' set.

Jimmy Page could have traded licks backstage with fellow guitar virtuosos Carlos Santana and Jimi Hendrix.

The whole band could have taunted Iron Butterfly from the side of the stage while they did their best Led Zeppelin impression.

Instead, Led Zeppelin chose not to play at Woodstock. Because of the festival's historical significance, the decision became a controversial one.

My own 800 CD collection is based on Woodstock performers, the artists they covered and their work, and the roots of those performers.  I like "In the Light".  LZ's work has time-tested quality that will always be worth a spin on my Paradigms...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
They were the best. My personal favorite was "When the Levee breaks". Amazing
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Led Zeppelin III, Immigrant Song.

Led Zep rox!

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Led Zep rox!

LZ III: Gallow's Pole, Tangerine and That's the Way.........shivers

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Led Zep rox!

Yes sir...most undoubtedly...I just opined the headliner of the album.  You orated the other greats.  Tangerine and That's the Way are definitely honorable mentions.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, LZ III is defintely my favorite.  Love the whole album...wish I still had the vinyl....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep.  I'm 44 now.  Led Zep has had the most profound influence on my life more than any other music, though there were many others that were out then that stood the test of time.

They just did stuff that was and still is awesome.  Their blues can't be touched.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok, the comment about not being as good as Black Sabbath got me out of my seat....Black Sabbath????? Hell, I remember when their first album came out. I thought thyey were a blatant
attempt to rip off Zeppelin.....with a quarter of the talent. And the satanic theme was way hoky.
Plant's control wasn't always what it could have been , and Page did tend to play a little sloppy,
but they were innovative  original and wrote a bunch of great songs.
They took a generation of us down a whole new direction in style and technique.
Sorry,, just got me fired up even putting Sabbath in the same room. Reminded me of that old Woodstock promo ad where some no playin' hippy stoner talks about how you can watch Alvin Lee's hands and see what a great musician he is............then they show scenes of people picking up trash while Hendrix is playing. HENDRIX! whose guitar case Alvin Lee wasn't worthy to carry........aaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

Sorry RogerN -- You sir are *Wrong* !  Sabbath OWNS Zeppelin any day or night for that matter  Iommi does circles around Page.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#13]
There are many a few guitar player who may be better at playing the blues, heavy metal, jazz, reagae, folk, country, middle eastern music, but there is no one who can play all of those styles as well as Jimmy Page!    
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#14]
U2 sold out a long time ago.

Zep never did.

Quoted:
Well, I am sure my Nomex suit will earn its keep today, but U2 is my favorite band of all time. Yes, I like LZ, I like PF, I like The Who, but U2 has alot of the music I like and has historical interest as well. Any current band that can say it played music in the 70s is worth a second look. Longevity happens for a reason.

Sure, I hate some of the politics behind U2, but I overlook that.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#15]
When the Levee Breaks is a blues song by Memphis Minnie, famously covered by Led Zeppelin as the last song on their fourth album.

The Led Zeppelin version features a distinctive and often-sampled pounding drum beat by John Bonham, driving guitars and a wailing harmonica, all presumably meant to symbolize the relentless storm that threatens to break the levee, backing a powerful vocal performance by Robert Plant.

The best-known song on the album may be "Stairway to Heaven", but "When the Levee Breaks" makes for a memorable finale.

When the Levee Breaks by Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie.
www.archive.org/stream/Kansas_Joe_Memphis_Minnie-When_Levee_Breaks?PHPSESSID=b47e7f0f6452c074dda8d7d21e93607d

Finally, this proves that rap music is nothing but shit-assed fucking no talent crap.

The distinctive drum sound was created by setting up drums in the hallway of Headley Grange, where they were living and recording. They set up 2 overhead microphones and let John Bonham pound away.

Based on a 1929 recording of the same name by Blues artist Memphis Minnie. Plant had the record in his collection.

Heavily produced in the studio, it was difficult to perform live, which they did only a few times on their 1975 US tour.

The vocals were processed differently on each verse, sometimes with phasing added.
Jimmy Page's backward echo technique, where he would put the echo ahead of the sound, was used on the harmonica.

Was very difficult to mix, and due to extensive processing, is best appreciated with headphones.

Many rap songs have sampled the drums on this. For sampling purposes, this is great because of the clean, uninterrupted drum break at the beginning. The Beastie Boys used it on "Rymin' And Stealin'", which opened their first album, License To Ill. Other songs to use it include "Lyrical Gangbang" by Dr. Dre and "Beats And Pieces" by Coldcut.

In an interview, either Page or Plant said the reason the song sounds so weird is that they recorded it at a different tempo, then slowed it down. Plant then sang in the sort of in between key the song was now in, which explains its sort of flat and sludgy sound, particularly on the harmonica and guitar solos. This also made it very difficult to accurately reproduce live.

This song was the only one on the album that was not remixed after a supposedly disastrous mixing job in the US (the rest of the tracks were mixed again in England). The original mixing done on this song seemed to suit it very well, so it was kept in its original form.

quote]Quoted:
They were the best. My personal favorite was "When the Levee breaks". Amazing
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Led Zep rox!

Yes sir...most undoubtedly...I just opined the headliner of the album.  You orated the other greats.  Tangerine and That's the Way are definitely honorable mentions.

Defintely.  Those are kick ass songs.  That's the way is probably one of the most underrated. ...  There's also White Summer/Black Mountain ... I've got most everything they ever created on MP3 ... nearly 1Gb in and of itself for Led Zeppelin alone.  The very essence of classic rock-and-roll.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]
LED ZEPPLIN FUCKING ROCKS.... PERIOD!      

Hell fucking yeah, they played hard rock before there was such a thing as hard rock. Black Sabbath comes in a close second.

ZZ Top rocks, too!

Did I grow up in the 70's or what?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
If you guys dig the Led Zep check out Jimmy Page and the Black Crows Live at the Greek.

Pretty amazing stuff!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Led Zeppelin

wow, look at the time..

it's time to ...

GET THE LED OUT....

[cue Immigrant song..]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#20]
DJ, I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. However, there is a difference between
technical and taste. and  remember, Page was a bass player first anyway.......
   BTW, do you know what they call a bass player with no girlfriend?

Homeless
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Led Zep rox!

Who's got the video of the Viking Kitties doing Immigrant Song?  That was some funny stuff!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Not my favorite, but way, WAY up there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Played out...
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]
haven't read all 3 pages yet...

Zep is in my top 3 or so bands/acts all time. They innovated all through their careers... and they went out on top. What more can you ask for?

They were a band of all-stars. Page was a virtuoso on guitar. Plant had the voice and look that influenced hundreds of bands since then. Bonzo was a great drummer, and John Paul Jones didn't just have good basslines- he wrote a lot of their music.

Zeppelin was also part of that great English Blues revival... SO many great acts were part of that- Cream, Hendrix...

The Zeppelin DVD (with the desert on the cover) is a MUST OWN for even marginal Zep fans. It's what "The Song Remains The Same" should have been.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#25]
One of my favorite bands.  I think "Presence" is way under rated.  The best stuff from them was released recently.  "How the west was won" is great live work and the DVD is great showing different time periods of the band.  I bought both the first day they were out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Page & Plant - Unledded has FINALLY been released on DVD.  Crank it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#27]
<----  Does my user name mean anything to you people????
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Zeppelin is a definate second  behind Hendrix

Try to think of  a better opening riff then "Voodoo Chile". Best song everhippie.gif
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Zeppelin is a definate second  behind Hendrix

Try to think of  a better opening riff then "Voodoo Chile". Best song ever

There isn't one. That tune will NEVER be improved on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#30]

John Bonham could have showed up his fellow drummer and friend, Keith Moon of the Who.

Uh no
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Try to think of a better opening riff then "Voodoo Chile".

The Ocean

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top