Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Boy and I was going to get one of those new Ti Leathermen. I'm glad that I waited. Fuck 'em

ME TOO!

Oh well. Capitalism at its best.

Thanks, TimJ.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's just sad.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty sad that such a list of nobodys endorsed Kerry.  Apart from Leatherman who are those other companies??  I also won't be buying any more Leathermans.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's pretty sad that such a list of nobodys endorsed Kerry.  Apart from Leatherman who are those other companies??  I also won't be buying any more Leathermans.

GunLvr

Never heard of Columbia??
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Alot of places when on the shitlist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What the Fuck?  Are they pissed that the military went with Gerber???  I just bought a WAVE for Iraq, I feel like sending it back to them with a big FUCK YOU on the sheath!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Boycott list:

Quoted:

Lee Fromson, president, Cascade Designs (Seattle, WA)

Peter Bragden, vice president, general counsel, Columbia Sportswear (Portland, Oregon)

Menno Van Wyk, CEO, Montrail (Seattle, WA)

Paul Fish, president, Mountain Gear (Spokane, WA)

Carn Nielsen, vice president, Mountain Gear (Spokane, WA)

Dan Nordstrom, CEO, Outdoor Research (Seattle, WA)

Jeff Bowman, vice president, Cascade Designs (Seattle, WA)

Doug Phillips, president, Metolius Climbing (Bend, OR)

Tim Leatherman, president, Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. (Portland, OR)

Dunham Gooding, president, American Alpine Institute, Ltd (Bellingham, WA)

Larry Harrison, president, Earth Games (San Clemente, CA)

Jim Clark, CEO, Watermark (Arcata, CA)

Steve Barker, CEO, Eagle Creek Travel Gear (San Diego, CA)

Peter Metcalf, CEO, Black Diamond (Salt Lake City, Utah)

Ashley Korenblat, president, Western Spirit Cycling (Moab, Utah)

Mike Wallenfels, vice president, Mountain Hardware (Richmond, CA)

Roody Rasmussen, CEO, Petzl America (Clearfield, UT)

Tony Post, president, Vibram (Concord, MA)

Kelly Stone, director sales and marketing, Werner Paddles (Seattle, WA)

Joe Hyer, president, Alpine Experience (Olympia, WA)

Mike Sullivan, president, Sullivan Agency (Wimberley, TX)

Bob Olsen, president, Peregrine Outfitters (Williston, VT)

Michael Crooke, CEO, Patagonia (Ventura, CA)

Brian Bennett, director national accounts, Patagonia (Ventura, CA)

Adam Forest, managing partner, The Forest Group (Lotus, CA)

Gordon Seabury, president, Horny Toad Activewear (Santa Barbara, CA)

Paul Gagner, vice president, Gregory Mountain Products (Temecula, CA)

Tom Campion, founder and chairman, Zumiez Inc. (Everett, WA)

Malcolm Daly, president, Trango (Boulder, CO)

Rodney Smith, president, American Outdoor Products (Boulder, CO)

Joan Keller, president, Le Travel Store (San Diego, CA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Contact: For Cascade Designs, Inc. Martha Keeley, 978-468-8961

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source: Cascade Designs, Inc.

Phone: (503) 253-7826 Toll Free: (800) 847-8665 Fax: (503) 253-7830 Warranty E-mail: [email protected] General
E-mail: [email protected]

They are free to support whoever they want & I am free to not buy their products (darn shame too, some of them were good.

Maybe Tim Leatherman will pay for unemployment for those of his 300 worker force who he has to lay off after we all quit buying his stuff. Jackass.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope Mr. Leatherman does go to the press with his whining. Other company bosses are no doubt somewhat more intelligent and won't repeat the mistake he made that costs them substantially after they read what happens to his business.

Amazingly enough, you can't buy a hunting or fishing magazine without seeing full page color ads from Columbia. Anyone email them for a reaction?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I own one, and would buy more. Why should I suffer. They are great tools.

These guys support they guy, who if elected POTUS, will re-instate the federal AWB....

+1

Also, Leatherman is supporting a candidate that betrayed US servicemen during a time of war.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Jeff Bowman, vice president, Cascade Designs, Inc. (Seattle, WA);

September 14, 2004

Dear Fellow Americans:
Sincerely,

Lee Fromson, president, Cascade Designs (Seattle, WA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Contact: For Cascade Designs, Inc. Martha Keeley, 978-468-8961

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source: Cascade Designs, Inc.

Phone: (503) 253-7826 Toll Free: (800) 847-8665 Fax: (503) 253-7830 Warranty E-mail:

Visit Cascade Design's web site for the products they manufacture and sell:
www.cascadedesigns.com/
MSR®
Therm-a-Rest®
Platypus®
SealLine®
Tracks®
Camp K-9
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We have discussed it a little over at www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=550&st=0&#entry4020

One of the members recieved a response:

Hello Bart,

That's your right.  I'm curious though.  I have received several e-mails very similar to yours.  I assume you and the others have been requested by someone else to write them.  Is this correct?  If so, who is it?  If the candidates, or the political parties, or someone affiliated with them are creating campaigns to retaliate economically against people who express a political opinion, I'd like to provide that information to the press and see what kind of backlash occurs.

Meanwhile we should be able to have an honest difference of opinion on which candidate will best support the interests of all Americans.  

In a nutshell, my position is that personally, I am quite sure I am benefiting much more from the Bush tax cuts and other economic policies than most people, but I'm very concerned about where the policies of the current administration are taking this country.  I'm very concerned that many, many people are not better off now than they were three and one half years ago, and I'm even more concerned about the future for our children and grandchildren.  I don't agree with everything Kerry and Edwards propose either, but I think we need a change.

I'm not trying to alienate customers.  I have over 300 people working here in my Portland factory.  Four years ago I had more.  I'd like to at least keep my current employees employed and preferably add more.  

Maybe I wasn't very smart to give my job title and business affiliation when I gave my endorsement, rather than to do it personally, but I did.  If it costs me business, so be it.  I'm still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that all Americans, of any political affiliation, will find them of value.

Sincerely yours,
Tim Leatherman

P.S.  There is an inaccuracy in your letter.  I have not financially supported the Kerry/Edwards campaign.

"I have not financially supported the Kerry/Edwards campaign."

Man, is that a Clintonesque answer or what? Did he endorse Kerry?

Fuck him and his products (and too bad his employees will have to pay with their jobs for the boss being a political activist)

And I was ready to get one of the new Ti-leatherman tools... glad I caught this first.

No more Leatherman for me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fuck 'em. The SOG multi-tools are better anyway.

+1

Glad I've got a SOG Paratool.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They choose to speak with their little letter, I choose to speak with my money and will not buy anything from those outdoor companies again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
After reading that letter, I am sure of my course of action.  Its going back and Tim Leatherman can go fuck himself!  Stupid shitbag!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#17]
DAMN IT.  I really like my Leatherman, too.  I've kept it on my belt every shift on duty (I'm an EMT) and  have used it at least once per shift (usually more).  For the kind of tool, IMHO, there aren't too many good substitutes, but I hope there are some that will be close.  As much as I like mine, I can't see parting with anymore of my hard earned money for another one.  Luckily, I've never bought anything else on that list.  It seems to be just a bunch of hippie tree-hugger crap anyhow; hell, I've never heard of like half of them.  Companies need to just shut up and make their stuff well.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad I got a Gerber tool.

I have actually never purchased any of those companies products anyway.  (At least knowingly or on purpose)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]
To Whom it may Concern,

I have bought more than one Leatherman product every year for over ten years.  I absolutely love your classic Leatherman tool.  While you and other companies make their multi tolls more complex, the classic with its rugged simplicity has always appealed to me.  One Christmas I gave one to every male on my list.  I work in a retail store that sells Leatherman as well as Gerber, Victorinox and SOG multitools.  This year is was going to be the Micra for males and females.

Now it will be SOG tools.  I will no longer purchase Leatherman tools for myself, for my friends and family, or recommend them to my customers.  Why? Because your company has chosen to support John Kerry for president.  Your president and several “sporting goods” companies signed a letter supporting him.  I don’t imagine how he could have done this, support a man like Senator Kerry.  Senator Kerry has consistently voted against the rights of outdoor sportsmen and you support him.

I don’t understand how companies such as Leatherman feel they have the position to “put their weight” behind political campaigns.  It is not your place, perhaps if more persons, like myself, vote with their wallets, you will see the error of your ways.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxx
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I JUST threw mine in the trash.

No. Take it out of the trash, bash it with a hammer and mail it back to them. with a note.

you support Kerry, I dont support you. NEVER AGAIN.

Don't forget your Vibram-soled boots, too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Shit man.....And I like Columbia Sportswear.

Bomber

Columbia Sportswear is an evil corporation that "outsources" our manufacturing jobs to Taiwan.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]
My E-mail:

It's too bad that your company feels a need to back John Kerry!  I have purchased my LAST leatherman product!

Oh well...I like my SOG tool better anyway!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Never heard of Columbia??

Yeah, made in China with a fancy lable swen on it.  Never buy their stuff while LL Bean (or even Lands End) are around.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
where does it say the people that manufacture leatherman tools support kerry?

the way i read it, their prez does.

that doesn't mean we should punish those working there for his political choice.

Bullshit.  you know it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

GunLvr

Those "nobodies" are the creme de la creme of the outdoor industry.

Just because something isn't a part of your world doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine needs fixed. I think that I will send it back for warranty and then tell them to stick it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I own one.  and fuck leatherman too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I own a Gerber EOD multi tool
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where does it say the people that manufacture leatherman tools support kerry?

the way i read it, their prez does.

that doesn't mean we should punish those working there for his political choice.

Bullshit.  you know it.

+1

When Leatherman signed his name as "President" of his company, he is speaking not as an individual, but FOR his company. (Which is blisteringly stupid and flat out wrong)

Only an arrogant ass would have the nerve to sign his corporate title on a political endorsement, It IMPLIES corporate endorsement.

I'll bet there are a fewBush supporters working for all the above companies that have to keep their mouths shut (lest they fall out of favour and be first to go during the next round of rightsizing)

If you buy any of the products from any of the companies listed above (as I have in the past, unfortunately) you can damn well bet that a good chunk of YOUR MONEY went to these bigwigs and on to support Kerry.

NO MORE.

Print the list out so you always remember who to avoid when shopping for outdoor gear. There are plenty of alternatives to the above list.

(and write them and let them know that because their owners & marketing VP's decided to play politics with their companies, that it may will cost them their bonuses and very possibly their jobs)

Corporate bigwigs should stick to business and STFU about politics.

Tim Leatherman is as big an asshole as Natalie Maines. I hope the douchebag reads this thread and thinks about the situation he has put his employees in because he can't separate his personal affairs from business. Narcissistic jerk.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#30]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hello:

I have owned your product for years. During my military service a blued leatherman took rode on my hip, one that I bought myself and still have.

Early this year I purchased one of your new purple tools for my wife to use around the house. I was also going to buy another one of your more manly tools and keep one leatherman in each car in addition to the one in the house.

I just learned that your company and its owner are supporting John Kerry openly and publicly. You have lost a customer. I just went to the Gerber site and picked out the model I will buy after work tomorrow. Your company and Tim Leatherman have spit in the face of every owner who first bought his product while in the service. I will not buy from you again. I will tell my friends not to buy from you again.

Good letter. Now pound the leatherman tool you have with a sledgehammer, put it in a box with this letter, mail it all to them, and help preserve your freedom. Freedom is worth more than the loss of a cost of a knife.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:53:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
MrMaeda: Mr. Leatherman is saying "if you don't buy my tool, that is fine." Okay I won't be buying your tool.

In other words, we won't be tools.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
why throw away something they already got the money for just dont buy anymore!

Because to do so is advertising to others that you have one. The brand name is on it. In so doing, others see it and might buy one. I liked mine, but it's toast now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because to do so is advertising to others that you have one. The brand name is on it. In so doing, others see it and might buy one. I liked mine, but it's toast now.

What's a good alternative to the Leatherman I have now?  I'll be sending it back, destroyed as soon as I can get a replacement.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't destroy it, sell it on eBay (it will cost Leatherman the sale of a new one) and then buy a  Gerber or SOG, or send the proceeds to the Bush campaign.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We have discussed it a little over at www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=550&st=0&#entry4020

One of the members recieved a response:

Hello Bart,
(snip)
Sincerely yours,
Tim Leatherman

P.S.  There is an inaccuracy in your letter.  I have not financially supported the Kerry/Edwards campaign.

"I did not inhale."

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

"There was no controlling legal authority."

"I don't own an SUV, my family does."

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:49:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Tim has mail.........fuckmutt.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#38]
and I just got a mountal hardware jacket too...
no...i am not going to burn it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#39]
bump for the 9:02 crew
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, this sucks.  My Columbia Sportswear jacket is one of my favorites.  My leatherman wave was a gift from my wife several years ago, so I won't be getting rid of it, but I sure as hell am not going to use it any more.  I'm glad the last few tools I've bought have been Gerbers.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#41]

I'll be ditching my leatherman and columbia jacket.  Screw 'em, there is waaaay too much riding on this election.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#42]
i e-mailed the slime balls. also said i work part time at a large retail box store and will tell everyone NOT to buy their products.
to be frank, i look at ar15.com, glocktalk.com, hkpro.com, snipershide.com, and glocktalk.com for who and where to buy products.
be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Check out the Schrade Tough Tool. I liked it better than my Leatherman so much that I gave the Leatherman to my wife. The downside is that it's bigger...but it handles much better and is more comfy on the hands.

I like the Gerber as well. Haven't handled the SOG yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#44]
"DON'T BE A TOOL AND BUY A TOOL FROM THIS TOOL"

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well, this sucks.  My Columbia Sportswear jacket is one of my favorites.  My leatherman wave was a gift from my wife several years ago, so I won't be getting rid of it, but I sure as hell am not going to use it any more.  I'm glad the last few tools I've bought have been Gerbers.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Go fishing with it. Then.......

"Honest, honey, there I was, fishing out on the lake, and in it went- ker-splash!"

"Oh that's OK, dear, I'll buy you a new one."

"Buy me another Gerber instead, OK, honey?"

"Whatever you want, dear."

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I think it makes perfect sense for leatherman to back kerry. If you listened to the debates last night kerry apparently wants to "screen the cargo on the plane as well as the carry on luggage". I would say that means more multi tools will be confiscated and sold by the airports on ebay. So, Leatherman will se a sales increase.

It all makes sense
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I have seen an e-mail reply Mr. Leatherman made to someone named "Bart".  I will address several points he raised.

"I have received several e-mails very similar to yours. I assume you and the others have been requested by someone else to write them. Is this correct?"
It is not correct.  Word gets around, and Mr. Leatherman's endorsement (personal or corporate makes little difference) is foolish.  I don't need a politician to tell me whether I should be upset by this.

"I don't agree with everything Kerry and Edwards propose..."
I would like to know why, if Mr. Leatherman was willing to say this, he was just as willing to put has name behind Kerry and Edwards.

"I'm not trying to alienate customers."
No other result is likely.  Surely Mr, Leatherman knew this.

"I have over 300 people working here in my Portland factory. Four years ago I had more. I'd like to at least keep my current employees employed and preferably add more."
Mr. Leatherman will not achieve this goal by upsetting his customers over his (otherwise private) political stances.

"Maybe I wasn't very smart to give my job title and business affiliation when I gave my endorsement, rather than to do it personally, but I did. If it costs me business, so be it."
Unless Mr. Leatherman publicly withdraws his endorsement, it will cost him my business, I will never buy or recommend a Leatherman tool again, and at my first opportunity, I will grind off the Leatherman markings on my Wave.  I'm certain this will void the warranty.  "So be it."

Sincerely,

[Brisk322]

P.S. Let's see what's happening at www.gerbertools.com....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Mine needs fixed. I think that I will send it back for warranty and then tell them to stick it!

I would definitely get it fixed. No use screwing yourself on this to prove a point. You paid for it with real hard earned money, but you can hurt Mr. Leatherman by telling your family and friends not to buy his products.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#50]
They are a bunch of tree huggers over at Patagonia but I still like my jacket from them. They sell nice products, but dammit, why support Kerry. ?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top