Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun gaming will get you KILLED!  KILLED I SAY!

And scanning and assessing at a match will get you laughed at.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]

With  as much cash LAV is raking in he should buy a Bullhorn and
then he will not have to bitch about his clients EAR PRO.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm anal about the lifespan of my cans so I use brakes as a blast baffle in an effort to prolong erosion of the internals. However, I'm also not clearing hijacked aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think that was targeted towards Tactical Response.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you just go to a class and pound a bunch of rounds down range trying to look cool then it is tailor-made for you. So are Ronald McDonald shoes.

I'd take him a lot more seriously if he didn't think he was OMG so fucking clever, and say shit like this all the time. Good instructors don't need to tear their students down to make themselves seem taller.

I think that was targeted towards Tactical Response.

Perhaps, but that attitude is his MO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are people so wrapped up on ear pro?

Buy some Peltors with gel cups and move on with life.  Easy.  Wore them for a year in Afghanistan, shoot with them regularly.  They seal, work great, aren't expensive, and allow normal communication.

Not wearing electronic ear pro is seriously WTF...I would have a hard time taking a shooter seriously if he showed up without decent electronic ear pro.  It would be like showing up with a mini 14 and a hi point.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There are better ways to get the point across then the hey dipshit method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell does he know!

Jeez.  You guys are, well, whatever.

Yep. Different people respond to different approaches, obviously, but I've learned that it's much easier to teach when you make people think and guide them toward an answer rather than saying "Do it because this is the right way, idiot".

On his earpro comment, I slightly agree... but as someone else mentioned, if your students aren't understanding you, then you're cramming too many students into your little moneymaker scheme, or you're not taking the time to bring them in, remove their earpro and go over what they're learning. If you're in too much of a rush to keep them shooting, then what about his comment about just going to a class and blowing rounds downrange? And if you have students that aren't hearing range commands and you don't STOP and clarify immediately, then YOU are creating an unsafe environment, not the students.

If you can't handle a class where students aren't wearing electronic earpro, then you 1. Shouldn't be teaching or 2. Should be mandating electronic earpro in the class equipment list. Don't whine about it after the fact.

On the sacred cow training: BS. You don't learn to drive a car by using only the gas pedal first, then using the brakes only when you're proficient with the throttle. Obviously if you have a brand new student then the fundamentals are going to take priority along with safety, but you need to start bringing in all other facets ASAP so that they can start the repetitions to become proficient.

As for a high round count class vs just doing drills... those drills had better incorporate movement and use of cover, otherwise you're going to stand there doing Dot Torture in the middle of a firefight while DeyShawnduh and his drug gang tear you to pieces with Tec-9s. I'd sure as hell want someone beside me who has practiced moving and shooting and mag dumps on a torso target rather than someone who trained to fire a controlled pair, searches and assesses then holsters without any thought beyond that (I just searched for a video of him shooting a pistol and that's literally the first thing I saw him do... I'm sure he does more, but ).

Competition shooting... that's a mindset issue. If you're too focused on competition shooting when you're doing drills you'd be using in a firefight, then sure, that's probably going to hurt you. But used properly, just about any kind of competition shooting is going to improve your shooting skills, which in turn increases your chances of surviving a fight.

Maybe Snickers just wants to say something to get attention. It's easier than being right

And LOL at his comment on spending money on stupid gadgets when he sells "custom" pistols with his own name on them

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh god, the gear queers here are going to lose their shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Buy some Peltors with gel cups and move on with life.  Easy.  Wore them for a year in Afghanistan, shoot with them regularly.  They seal, work great, aren't expensive, and allow normal communication.

Not wearing electronic ear pro is seriously WTF...I would have a hard time taking a shooter seriously if he showed up without decent electronic ear pro.  It would be like showing up with a mini 14 and a hi point.  

View Quote

I wear mine on flights too. Iphone jack and noise canceling for the win.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just learn what you can from the guy.

If his tone bothers you, tune it out.  He's been there.  He's retired and fat-- so what.
View Quote

Hey, don't call him fat. He's only fat because everyone else he worked with is either dead or in a wheelchair. It's not his fault.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems to me that electronic ear pro is great ONLY if you have the type that suppresses shot noise but DOESN'T suppress vocals. If not, it's just as bad as regular non-electronic ear pro. I use muffs and plugs because I have excellent hearing and would like to keep it that way.

On the muzzle break, I would think that anything that helps keep the weapon pointed in the right direction would be a good thing. Noise is going to be bad with an A2 inside a broom closet. It's the confined space that's the problem, not the muzzle break. Sorry, but I won't be taking off my Lantac Dragon any time soon.

Just because you're opinionated doesn't mean you're right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seems to me that electronic ear pro is great ONLY if you have the type that suppresses shot noise but DOESN'T suppress vocals. If not, it's just as bad as regular non-electronic ear pro. I use muffs and plugs because I have excellent hearing and would like to keep it that way.

On the muzzle break, I would think that anything that helps keep the weapon pointed in the right direction would be a good thing. Noise is going to be bad with an A2 inside a broom closet. It's the confined space that's the problem, not the muzzle break. Sorry, but I won't be taking off my Lantac Dragon any time soon.

Just because you're opinionated doesn't mean you're right.
View Quote

The LAV is too used to people licking his bots on TOS that he thinks every time he queefs out his opinion, we should toss half the shit in our gun safes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey, don't call him fat. He's only fat because everyone else he worked with is either dead or in a wheelchair. It's not his fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If his tone bothers you, tune it out.  He's been there.  He's retired and fat-- so what.

I'll assume that the guy was a bit above average, physically, when he served.  I'm not really seeing what being overweight has to do with shooting instruction.

This old fat-ass probably couldn't teach us a thing about physical fitness.  WTF would he know?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Heading out to pick up some cans and bottles.   Brb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your head is just the wrong shape, clearly.

You should feel bad, and get your head stretched to the correct size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
His ear pro comments are strange.  I chose not to wear them as I can't ever seem to get a good seal shooting a rifle.  I hear just fine and prefer not to be deaf.

+1
I have had many electronic muffs, I don't think they provide good hearing protection

Your head is just the wrong shape, clearly.

You should feel bad, and get your head stretched to the correct size.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Here we have another gun "celebrity" who has discovered (like Nutnfancy) that controversy and attitude gets clicks and attention, where calmly restating facts won't.  I give him props for knowing his audience and his market, but sorry, I'm not buying.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Nothing he said seems controversial to me, especially about the muzzle brakes, they're range toys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
While the advice is solid he still sounds like a fucking asshole. Where's my vegetable oil?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here we have another gun "celebrity" who has discovered (like Nutnfancy) that controversy and attitude gets clicks and attention, where calmly restating facts won't.  I give him props for knowing his audience and his market, but sorry, I'm not buying.
View Quote

The original "gun celebrity" Jeff Cooper, really didn't seem that much different.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
His ear pro comments are strange.  I chose not to wear them as I can't ever seem to get a good seal shooting a rifle.  I hear just fine and prefer not to be deaf.
View Quote

Foam plugs with muffs is the answer.   You can still hear the amplification but have protection as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#20]
calling out "students" about their inability to afford electronic ear muffs is a bit docuhey

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The original "gun celebrity" Jeff Cooper, really didn't seem that much different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cooper knew how to state strongly held opinions without being deliberately insulting.  He had, in a word, more class than that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of instructors have been there and don't act like pompous douche nozzles.

Also they all managed to stay in shape.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Cooper knew how to state strongly held opinions without being deliberately insulting.  He had, in a word, more class than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar15poodleshooter.com  

I also remember him mocking a woman who was eaten by a hyena.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
looks like Larry the Cable guy now...only meaner.  

are flash hiders still cool?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That one surprised me to.  I struggle with electnonic ear pro and only use plugs now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That one surprised me to.  I struggle with electnonic ear pro and only use plugs now.

Ditto.

That said I wish they had something like the Quietpro that was built into the ear plugs. Loved my fucking qp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll assume that the guy was a bit above average, physically, when he served.  I'm not really seeing what being overweight has to do with shooting instruction.

This old fat-ass probably couldn't teach us a thing about physical fitness.  WTF would he know?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S8hTeW-4rtU/TooeVqkVw1I/AAAAAAAAAOQ/2IhH9ecBhP8/s1600/arnold_schwarzenegger_fat.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S8hTeW-4rtU/TooeVqkVw1I/AAAAAAAAAOQ/2IhH9ecBhP8/s1600/arnold_schwarzenegger_fat.jpg

You do realize Arnold is 68 and still has less body fat than LAV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that LAV teaches shooting and not fitness?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wish he would have been more specific on that.  I don't know if that statement included things like the Surefire plugs, or was aimed at the dudes who show up with $5 WalMart muffs or foam plugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish he would have been more specific on that.  I don't know if that statement included things like the Surefire plugs, or was aimed at the dudes who show up with $5 WalMart muffs or foam plugs.

I love my Surefire plugs and they worked great for a pistol class. I could hear what was said and never took them out.

But I'm not sure I'd want just them on a line of 5.56mm SBRs and shit. Plus electronic muffs are neat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had my ears ringing like a mother fucker after an indoor pistol league match with peltors. No thanks, I don't get paid disability when I go deaf.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my ears ringing like a mother fucker after an indoor pistol league match with peltors. No thanks, I don't get paid disability when I go deaf.  

Indoors, you have to use plugs and peltors.  Outdoors, just peltors.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
There's nothing I disagree with... but OMG it's LAV MUST LOSE MY SH*T
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe a $300 set of muffs isn't at the top of the list of things to save for for all of us.  Reliable gun, spare parts, spare gun, adequate training and SD ammo, spare mags, holster and mag pouches, light, night sights, more training...

Yep electronic ear pro is what determines if you're serious.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Foam plugs with muffs is the answer.   You can still hear the amplification but have protection as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. People that don't love this combination have never tried this combination. That said, they aren't MY ears, and if someone else wants to do shit differently, who am I to criticize?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Type louder, I can't hear you
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I double up, electronic muffs with custom plugs.

The work doc recommended doubling up plugs and muffs a couple years ago after my yearly physical and hearing test. If you don't use electronic muffs when doubling up, you can't hear much of anything. Works pretty well, great protection and you can hear what's going on around you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]
He should shut his ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
calling out "students" about their inability to afford electronic ear muffs is a bit docuhey
View Quote

Nah, I figure it's meant to be more a crack about how people will drop the same coin on their third plate carrier but don't have good muffs.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Maybe a $300 set of muffs isn't at the top of the list of things to save for for all of us.  Reliable gun, spare parts, spare gun, adequate training and SD ammo, spare mags, holster and mag pouches, light, night sights, more training...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peltors aren't 300 bucks.  If you can't afford the gear, stay home and work on dryfire.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ditto.

That said I wish they had something like the Quietpro that was built into the ear plugs. Loved my fucking qp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Silynx
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy is trying to preach about winning gun fights when he would probably be out of breath just by looking at a single flight of stairs. I think it is a reasonable expectation for a guy teaching military related tasks to be able to do 5 minutes of basic infantry shit without needing an oxygen mask afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my Peltors for $65.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I get the earpro.  If they don't seal for you, wear foamies under them and turn up the volume.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I double up plugs and muffs and crank the volume to 11.  I get great hearing protection when shooting, even if one seal is iffy, and I can still hear range commands loud and clear.

Same here.

Only way to go.  I didn't understand the confusion, because I assumed everyone did this.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm thinking you are retired .mil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the hell does he know!

Jeez.  You guys are, well, whatever.

I'm thinking you are retired .mil?

Negative. I train .mil and was trained by retired .mil. .
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Peltors aren't 300 bucks.  If you can't afford the gear, stay home and work on dryfire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought some of the peletor tactical 100s at the home depot sale. Thanks arfcom for the heads up on $50 muffs. I double up with some surefire plugs when it's vertical cereal time at the range.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Larry trained to enter hijacked aircraft......I'd like to see his fat ass walk down an air liner aisle with a carry on, much less wearing full gear !!!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top