Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Put them in an airtight bag and then leave them in a hot vehicle for a few days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody is going to want those laptops.  Kill with fire.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WTF kind of person has bedbugs?  

View Quote

They're getting to be common again. I've been in several Motel 6 travel motel type places that were infested.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Dust off and nuke it from orbit
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have access to a deep freezer?  According to the interwebs, 4 days of constant 0F should kill them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't most laptop operating systems have a debug mode? Duh.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't freezing kill bedbugs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put them in the freezer.
View Quote

Or in a dryer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a variation on the old "kill jar" method used by insect collectors?  Saturate a bunch of cotton balls with denatured alcohol which is placed in a suitable open top container in the bag with the laptop?  The alcohol fumes will kill the little bastards. I can't think of anything in a laptop that would suffer damage from denatured alcohol fumes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Put them in a gift style box and leave them on the bed of your truck at the mall.  Like the Christmas boxes with shit in them threads.  Set up a camera though
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
In Arizona I would just leave them in the car for a day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take out if bag, put in tuff box, put in 4 lbs of dry ice overnight.
View Quote

Dry ice works for a lot of stuff.

If you have a skunk that falls into an open grave the night before interment drop 20 lbs in the grave and wait 1 hour,
then remove skunk
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I work in the IT department at a home healthcare company.  We just had two, count em' TWO, nurses who had to bring their company laptops back to us because they visited a patient with a hard core infestation of bedbugs.  They gave their laptops to the patient to collect a signature and that's when they noticed the patient had bugs crawling all over her like it was a freaking every day occurrence to her..  In such cases we can't risk nurses bringing their laptops to other patients and spreading bedbug infestations so we had to issue them replacements.

In the meantime, right now the two contaminated laptops are inside a garbage bag, which is inside another garbage bag, which is inside a box, which is on the floor in the corner.  There goes close to $3000 worth of top of the line computer equipment that might as well be a dead raccoon picked up off the road..

Anyone have a sure fire recipe for killing bedbugs that won't destroy electronic equipment?  How long do those damned things live, anyway?
View Quote

Panasonic had a whole line that you could sterilize.  Yes I know they cost an arm and a leg.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Take it to a paint and body shop and have them put it in the paint booth when they bake a car. We have to maintain a surface temp of 140 degrees for up to 30 minutes. Air temp in booth may be 160 to get a 140 surface temp depending on the area of the car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
You want to reissue it?

Yuck

Apply thermite and write it off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

b) Sealed in an airtight bag for 2 weeks.

Freezer kills them dead. Airtight bag will kill them through starvation. Bedbugs require a host to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in the IT department at a home healthcare company.  We just had two, count em' TWO, nurses who had to bring their company laptops back to us because they visited a patient with a hard core infestation of bedbugs.  They gave their laptops to the patient to collect a signature and that's when they noticed the patient had bugs crawling all over her like it was a freaking every day occurrence to her..  In such cases we can't risk nurses bringing their laptops to other patients and spreading bedbug infestations so we had to issue them replacements.

In the meantime, right now the two contaminated laptops are inside a garbage bag, which is inside another garbage bag, which is inside a box, which is on the floor in the corner.  There goes close to $3000 worth of top of the line computer equipment that might as well be a dead raccoon picked up off the road..

Anyone have a sure fire recipe for killing bedbugs that won't destroy electronic equipment?  How long do those damned things live, anyway?

Either:

a) Freezer.

or

b) Sealed in an airtight bag for 2 weeks.

Freezer kills them dead. Airtight bag will kill them through starvation. Bedbugs require a host to live.
Both methods are correct but I recall I study saying they could last like 8 months without a host. So freezing is prob the best option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
First off, you don't even know if the laptops are infested. If they're not infested, then no one should have an issue receiving it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

a trip to a walmart parking lot is needed...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) Leave the laptop sitting out in the open....

2) Someone will kindly come along and take the problem from you..

3) laugh to self because now it is some stealing POS's problem..

4) profit

a trip to a walmart parking lot is needed...

Read my book you did...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any possibility that these laptops could be reserved for this years Operation Krampus? Wouldn't it just make some thieves day to steal a new laptop and find their home is now infested with bed bugs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First couple of Google hits...

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/what-do-you-do-about-bed-bugs-in-your-laptop/
http://www.bedbugsupply.com/blog/treatments/treat-bed-bugs-electronics/
http://bell-environmental.com/help-my-laptop-has-bed-bugs/

It happens often enough to inspire a Wired web article.  That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chlorine dioxide.

No residuals.  Kills everything.

Make a disinfecting box and either make your own (it's easy) or buy it (have no idea where).
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Vaccine-ClO2-interior-eliminator/dp/B003JK3JAQ
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
$3k for two laptops?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here is your answer.  I would go several hours.  But this will do it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heat them up to 120 degrees for a few hours.

The temperature that kills them is 113 degrees, even for a few seconds. You need to make sure the whole laptop reaches this temperature, so if you heat the laptop to 120 that should do it.

Put it in a seal cardboard box with an oven thermometer, poke a hole in the box and stick a blow drier in the hole. Run it until the thermometer reaches 113 and start a stop watch but keep the drier on until it hits 120. Turn off the drier and keep track until the temp cools to 113, should take a few minutes. Total time over 113 should be about five or ten minutes.

You're done and so are the bugs.

The bugs and eggs are dead once they reach 113 degrees. The only reason to heat above 113 is to ensure the whole laptop achieves that temp. On an 80 degree day, the inside of your car probably goes well over this temperature.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You forgot Zika.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just so pleased that we are getting all these bugs and diseases back. Perhaps it will toughen up the youth when they get polio from an illegal alien and bedbugs due to liberal environmental bullshit.

You forgot Zika.

Lots of people who keep themselves clean get bedbugs.  They do not carry disease and live one the bedframe.  No amount of keeping yourself clean will get rid o them, no amount of vacuuming, changing sheets, etc, will slow the bastards down.

Sevin dust on the bedframe, diatomaceous earth scattered around the preiphery, etc.  

Failing that, cover the mattress with a bedbug proof cover, put each leg of the bed into a bowl with a good coating of permethrin on the leg and the inside of the bowl (recoat every 6 weeks) or simply an oil, something to keep them from being able to climb the leg AND a pesticide, then keep the bed away from the wall for the next 18 months.  Then hope they didn't get as far as the couch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

100% nitrogen.

I presume bedbugs breath.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% nitrogen.

I presume bedbugs breath.  

The live bugs do.  But the eggs don't.  A new generation will hatch out if only treated with non-persistent poison or oxygen displacement.  Heat or cold kills both bugs and eggs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about a variation on the old "kill jar" method used by insect collectors?  Saturate a bunch of cotton balls with denatured alcohol which is placed in a suitable open top container in the bag with the laptop?  The alcohol fumes will kill the little bastards. I can't think of anything in a laptop that would suffer damage from denatured alcohol fumes.  
View Quote

The alcohol fumes will not penetrate the laptops insides very well.

Leave in plastic bag.  Put bag in the back of the car for a day.  Will kill everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just throw the damned things away. Save yourself the time and grief.

No one is going to want to use them, people will find out their issued laptop was one of the bedbug laptops, bitch out the boss/HR, you end up shelving the thing for the next five years, and end up tossing it anyway when it's out-of-date.
View Quote

Or save them to have a dedicated laptop for known gross patients that need a visit...the poor nurse who draws the unlucky straw can come check one out for her visit to the contaminated premise, then back into the locked pest vault it goes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is now a "Bring back DDT" thread!
View Quote

But if we bring back DDT, it will save millions of people we don't want to illegally cross the border from malaria... I'm conflicted.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They're getting to be common again. I've been in several Motel 6 travel motel type places that were infested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are very common in even high-end hotels anymore, you really need to check the room carefully before you settle in. And don't forget about places like movie theaters and airplanes...people have picked up bedbugs there as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Once upon a time, I worked at the store with a big blue and yellow logo, where the guys who fixed computers wore white, button down, short sleeve shirts.We sent a computer out to get repaired, and the computer came back, wrapped in shrink wrap with a printed picture showing a cockroach sitting on top of the cpu fan staring at the dude that cracked the rig open. Wish I still had the picture.

Saw plenty of computers with roaches, but none with bed bugs. I can't tell if that is a plus or a minus.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Microwave them for 30 seconds each anything over 30 seconds will damage the laptop. In fact make it twenty seconds each
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The temperature that kills them is 113 degrees, even for a few seconds. You need to make sure the whole laptop reaches this temperature, so if you heat the laptop to 120 that should do it.

Put it in a seal cardboard box with an oven thermometer, poke a hole in the box and stick a blow drier in the hole. Run it until the thermometer reaches 113 and start a stop watch but keep the drier on until it hits 120. Turn off the drier and keep track until the temp cools to 113, should take a few minutes. Total time over 113 should be about five or ten minutes.

The bugs and eggs are dead once they reach 113 degrees. The only reason to heat above 113 is to ensure the whole laptop achieves that temp. On an 80 degree day, the inside of your car probably goes well over this temperature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heat them up to 120 degrees for a few hours.

Or you could just leave it on the dashboard of your car for a few hours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Put them in an airtight bag and then leave them in a hot vehicle for a few days.
View Quote

I came here to post this.  

I had a colleague who worked prior in circuit city near Philadelphia in the electronics repair department when they still did that.

He said all the time VCR's and such would come in and they'd open them up and cock-a-roaches would flow out like fucking liquid.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had a colleague who worked prior in circuit city near Philadelphia in the electronics repair department when they still did that.

He said all the time VCR's and such would come in and they'd open them up and cock-a-roaches would flow out like fucking liquid.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the day, that was a problem with taking in electronics in a pawnshop. Sometimes we put stuff in a garbage, spray in some raid and put it on the shelf in the back until the customer came back for it, or when the loan expired in 90 days.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dunno about the fumes, but one of the Pros that spray the apartments and hotels advised me to use it on my shoes if I suspected anything. Said it does kill them. I take a large spray bottle with me when I travel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Since you're in a work place, I'd vote for a -20° freezer for 4 days or try ethylene oxide (hospitals have such sterilization procedures) for fun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top