BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I had $70,000 to dump in an expedition vehicle, I'd get a Land Cruiser.  I wounldn't even consider the RR.  If I had $70,000 to dump into an SUV, I'd get a Lexus.  I wouldn't even consider the RR.  

+1

'Cruisers rule.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ill add this warning... If you are mechanically inclined and can do auto repair. Or have a big wallet and have a second rig to drive. Get a Land Rover.

If you are neither DO NOT BUY A LAND ROVER.

They are like a child and require attention. You will spend lots of quality time fixing stuff. But most stuff is really easy. And parts prices are not too bad. You will be ordering parts (on line there are a few discount stores). The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS. I will repeat..The local parts stores DO NOT STOCK LAND ROVER PARTS.

So if you are pondering buying one. Think twice. I knew of all the problems before I got mine. I was expecting problems. Thats why I got a 95'

Remember.... Lucas the Prince of Darkness!

yes, you have a point. i'd totally agree with you if we're talking LR's before '97. they got it together quite a bit from '97 on.

YES !  Owning a Land Rover requires both insanity and enthusiasm.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Land Rover Discovery or Toyota anything.

ditto

good ole toyota landcruiser
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Do they have Lucas electronics / wiring in them?

Edit: I should have read the post above My buddy had a "Sterling" several years ago. I think it was basically some kind of Acura the Britts screwed up with Lucas wiring. He could not keep that thing running for two or three months without some kind of electronic problem.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a Disco II. I have an 03 SE7 with a Hannibal rack, tent, awning and gas can rack and I take it  shooting in the AZ desert. Also use it for commuting to work. Setup is almost identical to this:

store1.yimg.com/I/cruiserconnection_1815_11098625

IM me if you want more info.

CW

That's pretty bitchin!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The Toy Landcruisers are 55,000
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II (deck out). It was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned!
I have three friends with newer Land Rover Discovery and Range Rovers who feel the same way.
Wankers cannot build a car. DON"T DO IT!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had no problems off road with this.

Or if you are just trying to impress than get this, Yo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ok for a Not-A-Jepp that is freaking Cool.

But I'd say go Jeep.  Used Cherokee Sport's (1998-1999) are econmical, do well off road, and don't have the maintenance headaches.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of Jeeps..............

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
For what its worth……

The British Army is about to issue a tender to replace it's entire fleet of Landrovers… the Mercedes G Wagon is expected to get the contract.

Best 4x4… the Toyota Landcruiser by a huge margin… those things can cross continents without breaking!

If you really want a Landrover, buy this model…

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For what its worth……

The British Army is about to issue a tender to replace it's entire fleet of Landrovers… the Mercedes G Wagon is expected to get the contract.

Best 4x4… the Toyota Landcruiser by a huge margin… those things can cross continents without breaking!

ANdy

Only if the turret mounted MGs come with it.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to go Jeep
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For what its worth……

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/rirish_wmik_well.jpg

ANdy

Only if the turret mounted MGs come with it.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to go Jeep

If you can get an DoD 'End User' certificate they can be supplied with an Anti Tank Missile launcher on the roof as well…….

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have lots of disposable income, then go for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I gotta go with the Jeep guys on this.  Of course, I suffer from "The Sickness" (Rock-krawlerus, Jeepus).  If ya got that kind of cash, get a turbo diesel '05 Liberty(think they're doin a Grand Cherokee too) with a solid front axle conversion (nuthin's truely trail ready without SFA), lift, and tars
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Repeat after me....

J  E  E  P

A Grand Cherokee is going to set you back less, be better off-road, be more reliable, and you'll have no problem getting it fixed if something goes wrong.

If you aren't in for Luxury, see if you can find a used Cherokee.

Wranglers and CJ's (while I love them) are not as 'practical' as the bigger vehicles.  But if you only need 2 people... NOTHING is better off road from the factory than a new TJ Rubicon.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got an H2 SUT, it is awesome!  It rides like a cadillac on road, Offroad its a tank, factory locking rear end, and 35" tires stock.  I got stuck once, but it was a big slippery mud covered rock that I shouldnt have tried.  325 hp for 2005, and they redesigned the interior, all black, sweet!  With the sunroof open and all 5 wondows down its almost convertible-like.  The milage around town sucks, but if I was worried about an extra $10-$20 a week I wouldnt be driving a V8.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
TOYOTA RULES AFRICA
...and that aint no BS...

Landrovers are a joke over there. I visit friends who own a coffee plantation in Zambia, thats where I got this info; everyone drives Toyotas. Landrovers nowhere to be seen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Repeat after me....

J  E  E  P

A Grand Cherokee is going to set you back less, be better off-road, be more reliable, and you'll have no problem getting it fixed if something goes wrong.

Wranglers and CJ's (while I love them) are not as 'practical' as the bigger vehicles.  But if you only need 2 people... NOTHING is better off road from the factory than a new TJ Rubicon.  

I agree with everything but the off-road part...the Grand is very capable, but so is the Disco.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Toy Landcruisers are 55,000

I would suggest a used one...early to mid-90's, came with diff locks. A decent low mileage one can be had for 12-15k.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
discovery are a POS
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
discovery are a POS

Aside from your POS post count, do you own one or have ever owned one? If so, what exactly makes them a POS?

CW
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just got an H2 SUT, it is awesome!  It rides like a cadillac on road, Offroad its a tank, factory locking rear end, and 35" tires stock.  I got stuck once, but it was a big slippery mud covered rock that I shouldnt have tried.  325 hp for 2005, and they redesigned the interior, all black, sweet!  With the sunroof open and all 5 wondows down its almost convertible-like.  The milage around town sucks, but if I was worried about an extra $10-$20 a week I wouldnt be driving a V8.

Let's see. Is that the SUT that broke it's axle on a teenie rock, or is that the one that got stuck in the parking lot berm?

CW
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Repeat after me....

J  E  E  P

He has $70,000 to blow.  I drive a Cherokee el Grande and I love it.  It does go very well and it's skinnyer, but I'd rather try a LC.  A LC with $15,000 worth of mods would be killer.    I dunno: A GC with $30,000 worth of mods would be killer too.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Get a Disco II. I have an 03 SE7 with a Hannibal rack, tent, awning and gas can rack and I take it  shooting in the AZ desert. Also use it for commuting to work. Setup is almost identical to this:

store1.yimg.com/I/cruiserconnection_1815_11098625

IM me if you want more info.

CW

DAMN! That is SWEET
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edmonds.com says why spend the money unless it's just to impress....

Because they work. Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

CW

I worked at a Cadillac/Land Rover/Range Rover dealership for ten years. Believe me when I say that the Rovers are the biggest piece of junk since 1980's GM products. Rovers are apparently built by a bunch of spike heads strung out on dope. Quality was so bad on the Rovers in 1999 that the factory sent a crew of engineers/QC personel to our dealership to (re)evaluate our inventory. Junk I tell ya!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Defender
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Dude,

I seriously looked at a Discovery II. My realtor and best friend both bought ones and regretted it. Read the Edmunds forums regarding people's experiences - some of them are hard-core LR fans too who have had nothing but pain from this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Defender

the defender looks way cool, and is very capable off road, but there is NO lateral room.  I am 6'2" and 190.  My shoulder rests on the driver's door/glass.  Hate to get hit from the side.  My Wrangler seems wider. YMMV.

I finally figured out I had watched too many movies with LR in them and realized I was being seduced into the "image" of LR by a bunch of marketing.  you may be different.

All said,  I have to admit, if I had the cash to drop on a pure truck toy, a 110  with the hannibal tent set up would be way cool.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#31]
You could always go UniMog.  Get an older one, plush out the interior, and have a good bit of spares too.  Carry the kids, carry a squad and all the gear, hit the mudhole.  You'd be the envy of the mall/hardcore trail goers.  The 4 wheel version isn't overly huge.  There's a guy in the survival forum that could probably hook you up with where to get everything.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Time to go to the jeep dealership and just checkit out
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When it comes to SUV's, and you have more money than brains!!!

www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/G500_main.jpg

Nothing says waste of money like a Mecedes G-Wagon

The G500 impresses with dominating V-8 power, surefooted full-time 4-wheel drive and legendary character and style.MSRP $78,420.00*  
Engine 5.0L 24-valve V-8 engine
Net Power 292 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Net Torque 336 lb-ft @ 2,800 - 4,000 rpm

That is one damn ugly thing, I seen a few.  They need to be shot and sold for scrap.

The Mercedes G-class is a fantastic off-road vehicle, and I think the best that money can buy.  

We replaced our Land Rovers with Mercedes G-class in the danish army in the 1908s, and the difference was pehenomenal!  When you really push them hard, the land rovers (which were the standard by which all other off-road vehicles were measured) could fail, and it was possible to snap their rear axels.  The Mercedes was so over-engineered, that it was virtually indestructible, and the 4-wheel drive was so good that it was almost impossible to get stuck.  I've driven those things through slippery mud that was so deep you wouldn't think anything could get through it.  Only time I saw a mercedes get stuck was when we wedged it in a creek, and none of the four wheels were touching the ground .  Only time I saw one truly destoyed was when one of our recon teams ran head-on into an old old tree at something like 40 mph

I miss those GD's (all of ours were the diesel version)

... back in the old country.

... and in Afghanistan

... and in Iraq.

I've also heard that the civilian Land rovers - like the Discovery and Freelander have a lot of problems, and require a lot of maintenance.  I liked driving the occasional old Land Rover in the army, but I sure wouln't want to own one myself.  (and if I did, it would have to be the Defender !)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Discovery
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#35]

How does that help our economy? Think about it. Buy American made products. If you don't, you don't help the retirement funds of ALL US employees. Not to mention, putting more people out of work, because you are funding over seas companies employees and their retirement funds.

BUY AMERICAN!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How does that help our economy? Think about it. Buy American made products. If you don't, you don't help the retirement funds of ALL US employees. Not to mention, putting more people out of work, because you are funding over seas companies employees and their retirement funds.

BUY AMERICAN!

AGNTSA !!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Land Rover better than Jeep
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top