Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
im reluctant to watch the movie because of the whole "spider" thing. I hate spiders and they scare me silly. 2 hobbits being chased by a huge man eating spider would be enough to put me out.

brrrrrrr aye aye aye
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but you're truly an idiot if you believe there were ANY homerotic implications in the movie.
View Quote

Oh yeah?  WTF was the deal between Samwise and Frodo?  And Merry and Pippen?  Seemed kinda fruity if you ask me.
View Quote

So words like "Loyalty", "Brotherhood", and "Comradeship" don't mean anything to you? The book was written roughly 60 years ago, when the word "faggot" meant a pile of firewood, rather than what it means today. The only homoeroticism in LOTR is what YOU put there with YOUR mind. The characters in the movie behave the way the characters in the book were written, and when the book was written their behaviour was NOT a representation of gay behaviour.

If you can't see past that, then it's the contents of your own mind you need to worry about, not the contents of the movie or the book.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
[size=5]What's everybody looking at??[/size=5]

[img]http://www.quicktimeflix.net/agd/queen.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
[LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Quoted:
Well I remember me and a few other people were messing around woth out version, in it Bilbo was abused as a child and did the same to Frodo.  He was sending him to Arragorn who was a pimp and sent Samwise who was one of his thugs to take him.  Im not even going to get into what kind of ring the ring was (its probaly what yout thinking).  Gollum is a crackfiend and was hired by Sauron the main crack dealer to get back his ring.  At the end of the movie Samwise, Merry and Pimpin, get into a Jerry Springer style fight over who goes to Mordor with Frodo.  

It was much longer and more drawn out then that, thats the short rundown of it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]

I just downloaded the Return of the King from suprnova.com. I'll give you a review in three and a half hours after I've watched it. I've heard it's good!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Appernely Peter Jacksons company is goign to adapt Cronicles of Narnia as there next project.

View Quote

Nope, he's doing King Kong.  God knows why.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but you're truly an idiot if you believe there were ANY homerotic implications in the movie.
View Quote

Oh yeah?  WTF was the deal between Samwise and Frodo?  And Merry and Pippen?  Seemed kinda fruity if you ask me.
View Quote

So words like "Loyalty", "Brotherhood", and "Comradeship" don't mean anything to you? The book was written roughly 60 years ago, when the word "faggot" meant a pile of firewood, rather than what it means today. The only homoeroticism in LOTR is what YOU put there with YOUR mind. The characters in the movie behave the way the characters in the book were written, and when the book was written their behaviour was NOT a representation of gay behaviour.

If you can't see past that, then it's the contents of your own mind you need to worry about, not the contents of the movie or the book.
View Quote

I love the book; i don't think Tolkien meant any such thing. What I mean by saying the movie was a garbage version of the book (okay, an overstatement) is that the garbage elements are the movie's fault, not the book.

Many of the movie's characters are not by any means faithful to the book, so it's hardly fair to interpret a critique of the movie as a critique of Tolkien:

Galadriel was modeled, says Tolkien, on his Catholic devotional reverence for the Blessed Virgin; Jackson transforms her into a disturbed and disturbing witch, or an electrifying and electrocuted wench. Faramir serves as an antidote to Boromir's folly, a veritable saint and model of heroic virtue; Jackson turns him into an ignorant rogue and kidnapper. Treebeard embodies the power and wisdom of living tradition, both etymologically and ecclesiologically; Jackson makes him a buffoon who is hoodwinked by the hobbits. Tolkien despised the emerging omnipotence of technology; Jackson allows his besotted attachment to special effects to take over, leaving the technological tail wagging the dog-eared remnants of the tale. Tolkien stated emphatically that The Lord of the Rings was "of course, a fundamentally religious and Catholic work;" Jackson barely scratches the surface of the deeper spiritual dimension of the book.
View Quote

Not to mention that Denethor goes from a good man corrupted by the power of Sauron to simply a bloodthirsty madman (his final scene was a hoot - takes my prize for campy overdramatization).

The problem is that whereas the book allows us to make our own interpretations in places, what we see through the movie is Jackson's (and the actors') interpretation. And in it, friendship and male bonding take a modern, metrosexual tone that screams "gay" to my retrosexual mind.

Edited to add: the quote is from a Tolkien Scholar in an NRO article:
[url]http://nationalreview.com/comment/pearce200312170848.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the movies were as good as they could be, given the massiveness of the books.

There were some changes the director made for the sake of portraying the story in this medium.  I think if somebody had a test on the LOTR and watched the movies instead of reading it they would shore a 60% at best.

I think a side effect of the "in your face" homosexuality in today's society has been that straight men refrain from expressing their feelings to other men to avoid anyone thinking them queer.  Thus, in such a story (as noted above, written decades ago) when men express cameraderie, when they share fear, or when they express unrestrained joy there is a "That's so gay" backlash.  I haven't pondered this in great depth, but my gut reaction is that we have lost something here.  

Having sat through all three movies (the first two twice with receent rentals to refresh the story), I saw nothing suggesting homosexuality outside of the speculation within this thread.  Perceptions are everything, eh?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hiya folks,

After seeing the first two movies I wanted to boil PJ alive. Slowly. And dance gleefully on his remains with hobnail boots.

But, I have come to realize it is his and two dimwitted womens version of Tolkiens life work. Not Tolkiens work. It is a cobbled and tinkered soap-opera'd and tattered ghost of a script version of the penultimate fantasy fiction.  They are only vaguely similar stories, with VERY vaguely similar characters.

At that point I enjoyed the movies fully about 65% of the time. I have even purchased them. I have even, well almost, stopped poking pins in my PJ voodoo doll while watching them.

They did a monumental task in bringing the thing to the screen in the first place and have my undying gratitude for doing so. That is why I have seen the movies at the theatre and have purchased the movies for home use.

That said, the worst offenses are, in my opinion:
1. This whole weakness of men bullsh@t theme, how utterly banal and weak.
2. Crucifying the characters for soap opera effect, in other words UTTERLY FAILING TO GIVE MAIN CHARACTERS ANY SENSE OF DIGNITY AND ANCIENTRY, no respect for them at all. Black magic marker and a pair of scissors and you can turn the phone book into the same script.
3. No objects, save the ring, have any worth at all.... not even, mine gott, the shards of have any sort of value... just leave em' to rust in a statures arms out on a balcony.
4. Turning dwarves into comic relief. This is serious literature for those with a serious bent, leave the jar jar humor for Lucas.

I cant go on, the mistakes are legion.

Anyhow, have a nice night all.

Dram(thetolkienfreak)out!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Appernely Peter Jacksons company is goign to adapt Cronicles of Narnia as there next project.

View Quote

Nope, he's doing King Kong.  God knows why.
View Quote
[url]www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/15/1068674429074.html[/url]

I said his company

from the article "Work on The Narnia Chronicles has started at Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top