BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Difference being that business can exist without bottom feeding public employee unions, bottom feeding employee unions are parasitic and can not exist without business.

A union is not the terrible thing some of you guys make it out to be. Why some of the members here continue to demonize the concepts of a union escapes me.Contrary to claims I see here, the need for unions is not past. Your average union is not a huge thing like the UAW.

Notice i did not say all unions, i said bottom feeding public employee unions.  I have personally seen cases where public employee unions fought against bonuses being tied to productivity, that is insane, why shouldn't the most productive recieve the most bonus?  And to whine that the county didn't steal enough from working folks to pay their bloated lifelong benefits is a sign that the union in question is actually one of the bad unions, not one of the good ones.  Some of our facilities are unionized and all but one of them works just like any other facility except that they bargain together come raise time and benefit adjustment time but that one is a nightmare to be in due to the union thuggery.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Anchorage is proposing new fees to offset the budget shortfall.  Found this little gem here:

"Charge for executing federal firearms forms
required to be submitted to the federal
government.
- 150.00"

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why should they need protections?  If a workforce wants to unionize and they are of actual value to the employer, then canning them all simply for being a union is only going to hurt the employer in the long run.  If the workforce is useless but wants to unionize to protect that uselessness then fuck 'em.

You don't have a right to a job, regardless of what democrats have tried to program into people... sorry.

I don't see many people here looking favorably on unions; you think any of those anti-union guys will EVER see unions in a positive light as an employer?
The unions and the employees  need protections because of that.
If employees have the right to unionize, then they have the right to be left alone by their employer to allow that to happen, and not harassed by their employer because they want to unionize.
You can put whatever spin on it you want, but I'm guessing that its because of guys like you that we still need unions.

Quoted:
Notice i did not say all unions, i said bottom feeding public employee unions.

Some here don't make the distinction. They're just flat out anti-union.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they'll have to take an NBA sized pay cut.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should they need protections?  If a workforce wants to unionize and they are of actual value to the employer, then canning them all simply for being a union is only going to hurt the employer in the long run.  If the workforce is useless but wants to unionize to protect that uselessness then fuck 'em.

You don't have a right to a job, regardless of what democrats have tried to program into people... sorry.

I don't see many people here looking favorably on unions; you think any of those anti-union guys will EVER see unions in a positive light as an employer?

The unions and the employees  need protections because of that.

If employees have the right to unionize, then they have the right to be left alone by their employer to allow that to happen, and not harassed by their employer because they want to unionize.

You can put whatever spin on it you want, but I'm guessing that its because of guys like you that we still need unions.

It doesn't matter how anti-union people view unions... unless someone is threatening you with violence (or any other already illegal actions) then you don't need or deserve protection.

The whole idea of a union is that you stick together and have power in numbers.  If an employer has no choice but to hire or deal with union employees, then they can't do business without them and the union has a level playing field.  However, the employer should always have the option of firing them and replacing them with either non-union or more reasonable union employees.

When unions get out of control (as they have due to special considerations and protections by the gov't) then there is naturally going to be a backlash.  This is what I mean when I say they should not overdo it.  I'm part of a union/bargaining unit where I work and I appreciate what they do for employees, but I fully recognize that they can push too far and I will remove myself from the membership if I see that happening.  You see, I understand the concept that having a job is more important than us all getting shit-canned for trying to break the employer's back.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The whole idea of a union is that you stick together and have power in numbers.  If an employer has no choice but to hire or deal with union employees, then they can't do business without them and the union has a level playing field.  However, the employer should always have the option of firing them and replacing them with either non-union or more reasonable union employees.

Then the union will always be powerless, if thats how you set things up.
Thats not a level playing field.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Public employee unions should be outlawed.

Truth.

All Unions are retarded.

Literally retarded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does this level playing field shit come from?  

If I have the money, then I dictate the terms by which I give you the money.
If you don't like the terms, you walk and I find someone else.

There is nothing level about that, and there isn't supposed to be.

If I have the money, I was successful.  The reward for that is I get to make the rules.
You want to make rules, you go make your own money.
Don't try to tell me how I'm going to spend mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anchorage is proposing new fees to offset the budget shortfall.  Found this little gem here:

government.
- 150.00"

1st - WTF is this, exactly?  Is this a fee to have a CLEO sign off on a Form 4?
2nd - Cite or link?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

public unions powerless?

You are employed by the people.  They set the conditions of your employment.
if no one works in police or fire or sanitation, the people will clamor for politicians who will set employable conditions.

If the conditions aren't good enough to work in them, then don't work in them.
if you can't find another job and there isn't a bountiful welfare system, then you have some options.
Get higher skills, work harder or starve.

Even FDR refused to allow public unions because the idea of them is so ludicrous.  It was JFKs payback to the private unions to allow them.

Unskilled unions bankrupt everything they touch eventually.  But finally unions found something they can't bankrupt.  The public sector with its unlimited wealth streaming from taxpayers.  But guess what.  We are bankrupt again.

The States and Municpalities are bankrupt because of unions.  And those taxpayers are getting a little angry that the guy at dunkin doughnuts retires at 50 with 90% pay and "disability"
Sorry dude, thats the way it is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

government.
- 150.00"

1st - WTF is this, exactly?  Is this a fee to have a CLEO sign off on a Form 4?
2nd - Cite or link?

No details other than the article:

http://www.adn.com/2010/10/24/1517090/higher-user-fees-may-aid-budget.html

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2010/10/24/22/2010%20Omnibus%20AO%20Support.85743.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but dont these same employees pay the SAME taxes?

Some do, some don't. Often the same folks screaming for higher taxes to pay them more will live outside the city they work in- to escape the taxes.

Or they have to live outside the jurisdiction they work for simply because the salary they are paid isn't high enough to live inside said jurisdiction..........

Brian

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't need to act like scrooge pretending that they are broke, either.

Where I live they have been raising taxes and making some cuts. A lot of taxpayers here are in BAD SHAPE. Foreclosures and for sale signs galore (not to mention empty storefronts). WTF are you talking about?

I'm not talking NOW. Look back at what I said. Gov't has ALWAYS pled poverty. Even when times were good and revenues were up, gov't was pleading poverty at contract time.

Understand the context of what I'm saying.

Ca PERS 3% @ 50 y/o came about during the good times under Gray Davis...............  That one will bite CA in the ass for years.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They always should.

It is money siezed by force of law from the productive citizens that government serves. They should be as miserly as possible at all times with those funds. Because times are good is no excuse to not be as fiscally tight as they can and still provide the basic level of services the taxpayers want.

We're productive too. Just because you don't acknowledge it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Sorry, you're entirely indirect labor.

You're point?  As a business owner are you going to build your own roads, provide your own power, provide your own fire/ems/LE service?  There are some tasks that are better done by a 'centralized' entity.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but dont these same employees pay the SAME taxes?

Some do, some don't. Often the same folks screaming for higher taxes to pay them more will live outside the city they work in- to escape the taxes.

Even if they live in the taxing municipality it really is simple math. The government employee almost always gains more directly via tax increases then they lose in taxes paid. Say you are a school teacher and the school district raises income taxes by 1/2% and the teachers get a 2% pay increase. In reality your take home pay increases by 1-1/2%. Every other taxpayer in that district who is not a teacher sees a 1/2% decrease in their take home pay. You win, everyone else loses.

Public employee unions are the largest, most poweerful and most harmful special interest group  in America today. Almost every one of them operates within a government granted monopoly immune to market forces and paid come hell or high water via the coersive power of the state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stupid union officials letting their greed show. Wow, who would have ever guessed that could happen?  

W/o knowing more about the Anchorage specifics this is more of a case of stupid GD posters letting their knees jerk.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Difference being that business can exist without bottom feeding public employee unions, bottom feeding employee unions are parasitic and can not exist without business.

A union is not the terrible thing some of you guys make it out to be. Why some of the members here continue to demonize the concepts of a union escapes me.Contrary to claims I see here, the need for unions is not past. Your average union is not a huge thing like the UAW.

Notice i did not say all unions, i said bottom feeding public employee unions.  I have personally seen cases where public employee unions fought against bonuses being tied to productivity, that is insane, why shouldn't the most productive recieve the most bonus?  And to whine that the county didn't steal enough from working folks to pay their bloated lifelong benefits is a sign that the union in question is actually one of the bad unions, not one of the good ones.  Some of our facilities are unionized and all but one of them works just like any other facility except that they bargain together come raise time and benefit adjustment time but that one is a nightmare to be in due to the union thuggery.

How exactly do you suggest 'productivity' be measured for LE, FF, EMS, public works, etc given the majority of the time those employees have no control over where the go or what they do during a shift?

And, yes - I'm differntiating between patrol officers and police captains etc.

Brian

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well like Texas, Alaska had it's banking/property bubble in the early 80's based on the boom of the oil industry.  When oil prices crashed so did the property bubble and thing really didn't turn around and growing until the late 90's or so.  So when the bubble in housing started, Texas and Alaska banks didn't get sucked in and both states haven't really been hurt by the recession.

Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax or an income tax, but the tax on property is just outrageous.  A lot of people rather live in Wasilla 40 miles away and commute to avoid it.  Homeowners foot the bills for the government and you know it's crazy when your property tax bill is larger than your mortgage for the year.  Liberals and Democrats basically scoff at any complaints as whining and say we need all these services and there's no other way to pay for it, and we need to cough up more.

One of the last acts the outgoing mayor did (before he became a Democrat Senator who rubberstamps Harry Reid) was to award a really lavish contract on firemen and policemen.  I was surprised he didn't do this earlier because he is a machine-type Democrat politician, but I guess he was waiting until he secured the office of Senator and then fucked over the taxpayers of Anchorage as a going away present.
Can the mayor do that? Don't need the concurrence of the city council or whatever?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How exactly do you suggest 'productivity' be measured for LE, FF, EMS, public works, etc given the majority of the time those employees have no control over where the go or what they do during a shift?

And, yes - I'm differntiating between patrol officers and police captains etc.

Brian

You may want to google Tony McGuirk of Merseyside in the UK. He has figured out how to measure the productivity of fire fighters and both reduce the number of fires and the number of firemen at the same time. This past summer he openly stated that "We’ve got some bone idle people in the public sector." He has demonstrated that one can identify the dead weight and eliminate it without negatively affecting the delivery of public services. And McGuirk is not the first to do so.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They always should.

It is money siezed by force of law from the productive citizens that government serves. They should be as miserly as possible at all times with those funds. Because times are good is no excuse to not be as fiscally tight as they can and still provide the basic level of services the taxpayers want.

We're productive too. Just because you don't acknowledge it doesn't mean it isn't true.

A city of all public servants paid by tax money, and nobody else, would last how long? Meanwhile there are communities with very minimal to almost no public service workers, but plenty of non-government workers, that survive.

Productive in terms of an economy means those who produce wealth or value for the economy. Without that class of people, the municipality- whatever size- can't have a tax base to sustain itself. Thats not to say you don't work- but the work you do doesn't add to the economy of your community. The taxes you pay really just amount to a reduction in what you take out. The ones who are productive to the economy are the ones who pay in far more than they take out. Without those people, your job can't exist.

Folks who pay taxes but don't get a paycheck from those they pay taxes to are "productive" to that economy for that level of government. Those who take more out than they pay in- be it in wages or services (like ambulance freeloaders who ride every week) are a "drain" on the economy. When the drain gets to high, the productive fight back, be it through elected officials or by leaving or quitting their productive activity.

Like it or not, your paycheck depands on those other people continuing to produce so a share of what they produce can be taken from them to pay you. Come to grips with that and you will understand why the resposnible way for civic leaders to behave with tax dollars is to spend as little as possible to provide what the taxpayers want.

Well said, right on the money.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You may want to google Tony McGuirk of Merseyside in the UK. He has figured out how to measure the productivity of fire fighters and both reduce the number of fires and the number of firemen at the same time. This past summer he openly stated that "We’ve got some bone idle people in the public sector." He has demonstrated that one can identify the dead weight and eliminate it without negatively affecting the delivery of public services. And McGuirk is not the first to do so.

I'll google the guy later.  "overstaffed" is a different issue than "productivity" IMO.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When the drain exceeds the benefit, problems start. Thus if a PD can be run for one amount, but through waste, mismanagement and excessive union demands it ends up cost 3x as much, it becomes a drain. Same for any other government activity.

There is a reason why business is fleeing your state- it is that the parasites are sucking off way too much in relation to the benefit they provide. I remembr you saying you planned to leave NY when you retire, and that is what I see tons of public sector retirees doing. They all say it is because they can't afford to retire there. Reality slaps you in the face when you go from being the parasite to the host.

The unsustainability of the level of government spending in states like NY is evident when you see how many employed in government flee the state as soon as they retire. It is a combination of liberal voters demanding a nanny state of services and a high rate of public sector unionism resulting in wages higher that the free market rate.

Show me any agency that is spending three times what it should. They don't exist. Not in these economic times, not in good economic times. Our dept has had to come up with cuts to our budget for the past several years running. There is simply no fat left.
Sure, taxes are high here. Sure, there are programs I don't agree with. Don't blame unions for that stuff. This state is in the shape its in large part  because of the top-shelf welfare programs and unfunded mandates on local taxpayers  that the Downstaters have foisted on the rest of us.

When I retire, I expect that my income levels will drop. It is natural to try to cut expenses when your income level drops. Besides, as much as I think this is among the best areas of the nation to grow up, raise a family, etc, I don't agree with some of the laws. Once I retire, I'll be free to move.

Overall  its  simplistic to say I'm moving because of taxes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When I retire, I expect that my income levels will drop. It is natural to try to cut expenses when your income level drops. Besides, as much as I think this is among the best areas of the nation to grow up, raise a family, etc, I don't agree with some of the laws. Once I retire, I'll be free to move.

Overall  its  simplistic to say I'm moving because of taxes.

You must have a bad union. The Detroit Free Press (left wing paper here) had an article the other day about  a suburb where a 60k employee was getting a 90k pension.

I don't think it's too simplistic. Most public employees of high tax liberal cities and towns do not live there (majority in Ann Arbor do not; but BOY do they get pissed over a cut of a few percent in bad times). Our laws are pretty much the same (no big difference on firearms). It's about the money.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You must have a bad union. The Detroit Free Press (left wing paper here) had an article the other day about  a suburb where a 60k employee was getting a 90k pension.

Our union is a typical union. Whenw e retire, if we want to keep medical coverage, the cost just about eats up our pension amount.

I'm sure that person highlighted in the article you mention was not the norm even for his own agency.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well like Texas, Alaska had it's banking/property bubble in the early 80's based on the boom of the oil industry.  When oil prices crashed so did the property bubble and thing really didn't turn around and growing until the late 90's or so.  So when the bubble in housing started, Texas and Alaska banks didn't get sucked in and both states haven't really been hurt by the recession.
Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax or an income tax, but the tax on property is just outrageous.  A lot of people rather live in Wasilla 40 miles away and commute to avoid it.  Homeowners foot the bills for the government and you know it's crazy when your property tax bill is larger than your mortgage for the year.  Liberals and Democrats basically scoff at any complaints as whining and say we need all these services and there's no other way to pay for it, and we need to cough up more.
One of the last acts the outgoing mayor did (before he became a Democrat Senator who rubberstamps Harry Reid) was to award a really lavish contract on firemen and policemen.  I was surprised he didn't do this earlier because he is a machine-type Democrat politician, but I guess he was waiting until he secured the office of Senator and then fucked over the taxpayers of Anchorage as a going away present.
Can the mayor do that? Don't need the concurrence of the city council or whatever?

In our town it's the Assembly, and it went majority liberal for the first time in April 2008 when we have municipal elections.  They approved the contract after the Senate election that November.
The Assembly is supposedly non-partisan, candidates don't run as Republicans or Democrats, but everyone who bothers to vote for municipal elections knows who the liberals and who the conservatives are on the Assembly.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll google the guy later.  "overstaffed" is a different issue than "productivity" IMO.

Brian

Labor productivity is the measure of a process' output divided by input hours. If you cannot measure the output there is no way to determine the correct level of input hours, which is to say the correct level of staffing. Hence by definition one cannot determine if a process is overstaffed until one can measure, in some defensible manner, its productivity.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#32]

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: collectivized bargaining against the tax payer should be ILLEGAL.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: collectivized bargaining against the tax payer should be ILLEGAL.

So I'll ask again: if thats the case, how should wage negotiations and disputes over work issues for the group  be resolved, if not through a collective bargaining process?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The most dangerous phrase in this country is: "There ought to be a law."  Just because it's unions and not firearms you're talking about doesn't make it any less nefarious to the concept of freedom.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most dangerous phrase in this country is: "There ought to be a law."  Just because it's unions and not firearms you're talking about doesn't make it any less nefarious to the concept of freedom.

Forecd collective bargaining is nefarious to freedom.

If there are 50 employees and 26 vote to for a union, forcing the other 24 to either join the union, or if they don't join still be bound by what the union negotiates, is infinging on their freedom, is it not?

Likewise forcing an employer to recognize and negotiate with a union by law, instead of leaving that employer free to accept or reject doing business with the union based on its own decision without a doubt restricts the freedom of that employer.

You just proved my point!  Someone must have said, "There ought to be a law giving unions the power of coercion and legal protection to do so." and the current system is what we got as a result.  No one should be forced to join a union by law and no employer should be forced to negotiate with one.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I'll ask again: if thats the case, how should wage negotiations and disputes over work issues for the group  be resolved, if not through a collective bargaining process?

Hmmm, maybe the same way it's done every day by non unionized employees

He who owns the business should dictate the rules, period. If his/her rules suck and they can't attract talented employees then the business will probably suck and die (unless it's subsidized by the gov't)..

There are a myriad of federal regulations and countless attorneys to protect people from nefarious business practices - too many IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The same way they are in any other business transaction.

I just dropped off some tires and wheels to be mounted and balanced. We agreed on a price, he will do it, I will pay. If there is an issue when I go to pick them up I have the option of either learning from it and taking my business elsewhere or taking him to court if he fails to fix it to my satisfaction. Likewise, he was free to not do the work for me if he didn't like what I was willing to pay, and free to at any time stop doing work for me.

Me hiring a guy to do that job is no different than anyone else being hired for a job- it is an exchange of money for labor. People who try to make it overly complex and add all these extra hoops and hurdles only serve to screw up the marketplace and drive costs up.

When you have a gun to sell, if you don't like someones offer do you demand he sit down and mediate, forced by law, or do you just move on to the next possible customer? When you buy food at the store, would you be OK with the government mandating that you only buy from one store and forcing you to engage in bargaining with that store over price and quality, even when another store offers the price for less?

And before you start with your chicken little predictions about anarchy in the streets and the failure of civilization without public sector unions, let me intorduce you to NC General statute 95-98:

§ 95‑98.  Contracts between units of government and labor unions, trade unions or labor organizations concerning public employees declared to be illegal.

Any agreement, or contract, between the governing authority of any city, town, county, or other municipality, or between any agency, unit, or instrumentality thereof, or between any agency, instrumentality, or institution of the State of North Carolina, and any labor union, trade union, or labor organization, as bargaining agent for any public employees of such city, town, county or other municipality, or agency or instrumentality of government, is hereby declared to be against the public policy of the State, illegal, unlawful, void and of no effect. (1959, c. 742.)

That is right, all municipalities in this state are prohibited from entering into collective bargaining agreements. Public sector employees can, and do, still form unions, and that union can meet and confer with management, but they cannot force all employees to agree to any sort of collective bargaining agreement or contract, nor can they force a municipality to sign a contract.

So the workers here are still free to unionize, but the union cannot force an employees who don't want to be represented by the union to be, and can't force a municipality to recognize or negotiate with a union against its wishes. Now if all parties agree, the union and municipality can "meet and confer" and the contract with the work force can come out of that, but each side is equally free to reject the union as well. The freedom of both sides is preserved, not just of one, and special protections for the unions are eliminated. Unions that work with management in a productive fashion are heard, and unions that represent the workers well get people willing to join. Those that don't do that fail because they don't have special protections and a monopoly on labor keeping them afloat.

We still have roads we can drive on, fires still get put out, criminals still get arrested, the jails still hold inmates, the water and sewers still flow, people still work a career in government service and retire..... all without collective bargaining! And we do it so much cheaper that all those unionized public sector workers want to retire here to escape the high tax utopias they created.

Of course the socialists in the unions are all pissed and defeating this law has been a top priority for them. They have even gone to the United Nations and had them condemm the law.

Making collective bargaining illegal- a proven effective solution in NC since 1959.

Southern states, yours among them, are famous for the poor hiring standards and retention rates in LE, firefighters, etc . Stuff like what you posted are reasons for that deficiency.
I wouldn't be boasting if I were you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If there are 50 employees and 26 vote to for a union, forcing the other 24 to either join the union, or if they don't join still be bound by what the union negotiates, is infinging on their freedom, is it not?

Likewise forcing an employer to recognize and negotiate with a union by law, instead of leaving that employer free to accept or reject doing business with the union based on its own decision without a doubt restricts the freedom of that employer.

Those 24 members are benfiting from the work of the union. They are benfiting from the protections the union offers.
Of course employers like you would love that individual employees are hanging out in the breeze unprotected against ruthless employers and managers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He who owns the business should dictate the rules, period. If his/her rules suck and they can't attract talented employees then the business will probably suck and die (unless it's subsidized by the gov't)..

There are a myriad of federal regulations and countless attorneys to protect people from nefarious business practices - too many IMO.

So an employees only recourse , in your mind, is through the legal system that they can't afford to operate in, and during which time they're subject to being fired for sticking their necks out. No thanks. I'll take the union and contracts that both sides must abide by. Much more civilized and less prone to abuse by anyone on either side.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Public sector unions should be outlawed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So an employees only recourse , in your mind, is through the legal system that they can't afford to operate in, and during which time they're subject to being fired for sticking their necks out. No thanks. I'll take the union and contracts that both sides must abide by. Much more civilized and less prone to abuse by anyone on either side.

Of course you'll take the union contracts. Your paycheack comes from taxpayers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those 24 members are benfiting from the work of the union. They are benfiting from the protections the union offers.
Of course employers like you would love that individual employees are hanging out in the breeze unprotected against ruthless employers and managers.

Bullshit! Those 24 are now economically tied to the union wages no matter how good they are (or bad). Unions kill the ability of the individual to succeed (or fail) on their own merits and earn whatever they can negotiate based on their skills and not that of the collective and there's the key word to describe unions - collectivism.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're free to quit and work for a better employer - this isn't the fucking USSR
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meanwhile there are communities with very minimal to almost no public service workers, but plenty of non-government workers, that survive.

Maybe if you're talking about little hamlets of a couple hundred people. Start getting up into populations of a couple thousand and yes, you start needing government and everything that comes along with that.
I bet even in the communities you're thinking of that there is a government entity near-by providing the services for that little burg, even if those operations aren't being run out of that hamlet.

Productive in terms of an economy means those who produce wealth or value for the economy. Without that class of people, the municipality- whatever size- can't have a tax base to sustain itself. Thats not to say you don't work- but the work you do doesn't add to the economy of your community

Without OUR services, YOUR industry isn't going to survive as well as it does. If customers and employees are afraid to come to your location, your sales will suffer. If you have to take time out of your day to rotate  men the sandbagged OP on top of your business because your area is a warzone due to a lack of poice and courts, your sales will suffer. If you have to take time out of your day to personally accomplish any of the functions that gov't currently  fills, your sales will suffer. So its a symbiotic relationship. Our being here helps your business thrive.

what's this "our" and "we" stuff?
what do you do and what services are you providing?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're free to quit and work for a better employer - this isn't the fucking USSR

Not easy to enter the private sector after years on the tax dole. Most public sector employees wouldn't last 2 months in the private sector.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Public employee unions should be outlawed.

Don't stop there.  All forms of collusion should be outlawed.  It's already illegal for two or more competing companies to collude in order to fix prices above what the market would normally support.  It should be no different in the labor market where unions engage in collusion to fix labor prices above what the market would normally support.

Price fixing wasn't outlawed because of some abstract ethical belief about competition.  It was outlawed because those practices create a measurable reduction in economic output and standard of living.  People should be absolutely flabbergasted that Unions somehow get a free pass and are allowed to get away with what other people would normally go to jail for.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bullshit! Those 24 are now economically tied to the union wages no matter how good they are (or bad). Unions kill the ability of the individual to succeed (or fail) on their own merits and earn whatever they can negotiate based on their skills and not that of the collective and there's the key word to describe unions - collectivism.

If you think that the city, county, etc is going to negotiate individually with each employee, you're wrong. If you think that those 24 are going to negotiate better terms than what the union can for the group, you're wrong. A union doesn't prevent an officer from succeeding. I go out and get in my car every day and make my own choices about how I'm going to do my job, within the constraints of laws, policies and court decisions. The union doesn't set me up for failure but it sure can help if the admins decide I'm the next guy with the target on my forehead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top