BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
So do you have a phd or not?
Are you educated in this field or not?
If you can state your "facts/beliefs", how is that different than stating my "facts/beliefs"?
You are the one telling me to STFU because I don't have a PHD...so now I am telling you to STFU. OK?

Quoted:

Quoted:
So where is your fucking PHD?
The issue here is the flap.
Pay attention.

Quoted:
That is such bullshit! There's a thin protective layer of skin that grows over the flap after just a few weeks. True, the flap will always be there, however, it is not exposed and doesn't just peel back! As for flap trauma, it's gonna take a severe hit in the face to do damage to the flap. If you take a hard enough hit I have a feeling that the flap is going to be the least of your concerns. My doctor showed us some reports concerning this very issue and it stated that out of SEVERAL MILLION people world-wide that have had the procedure done, only 30-something have suffered from flap trauma.

Oh yeah, and the drawback to PRK is the possibility of developing scar tissue caused by the laser. So much so that there is a strong possibility that you will never see better than 20/40 due to the "hazing" caused by the scarring. Another down-side to PRK is once you have it done you can't ever have it done again in the event your sight starts to revert for the worse. But not so with Lasik. If for some reason your sight seems to be going back downhill, guess what, they can go back in there and fine tune it. In addition, there is virtually no risk at all of experienceing scarring with Lasik.

So, until you get a fucking PhD and have performed thousands of operations, shut the fuck up!!

No Shit?!?! Man, you really are a fucking genius! Hell, I feel alot better now knowing that you're spreading your wealth of intellect.

PREACH ON, GENIUS!

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So where is your fucking PHD?
The issue here is the flap.
Pay attention.

Quoted:
That is such bullshit! There's a thin protective layer of skin that grows over the flap after just a few weeks. True, the flap will always be there, however, it is not exposed and doesn't just peel back! As for flap trauma, it's gonna take a severe hit in the face to do damage to the flap. If you take a hard enough hit I have a feeling that the flap is going to be the least of your concerns. My doctor showed us some reports concerning this very issue and it stated that out of SEVERAL MILLION people world-wide that have had the procedure done, only 30-something have suffered from flap trauma.

Oh yeah, and the drawback to PRK is the possibility of developing scar tissue caused by the laser. So much so that there is a strong possibility that you will never see better than 20/40 due to the "hazing" caused by the scarring. Another down-side to PRK is once you have it done you can't ever have it done again in the event your sight starts to revert for the worse. But not so with Lasik. If for some reason your sight seems to be going back downhill, guess what, they can go back in there and fine tune it. In addition, there is virtually no risk at all of experienceing scarring with Lasik.

So, until you get a fucking PhD and have performed thousands of operations, shut the fuck up!!

No Shit?!?! Man, you really are a fucking genius! Hell, I feel alot better now knowing that you're spreading your wealth of intellect.

PREACH ON, GENIUS!

So.. basically you are saying that since you "assume" that none of use have a PhD and have performed thousands of operations, that we cannot understand simple structural physics. Riight.

Where the FUCK is your PhD? How many thousands of operations have you performed? Thought so.

Quit using HCI logic in your arguments, its NOT working.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I really don't care if it heals or not to tell all of you the truth.. if it doesn't GREAT if it does GREAT.. thanks to all the people who have said good and nice things about it and given me tips and guidelines.  

SuperAlpha - Do you have a PhD?

Energizer - Do you have a PhD?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
NO.
But apparently the anti-LASIK arguers are the only ones that "need a phd" in order to argue these facts and give advice on this thread.

I thought this was a thread about LASIK. People asked questions and people (including myself) gave advice and answers to questions.

I didn't realize that this was more of a "comfort/hand-holding" thread for your LASIK surgery.

PS: This thread was started prior to your surgery, so I offered advice about checking out the PRK alternative.
Now that it is after your surgery I guess you took the advice and made your own decision based on your research and the facts presented to you.  (Unfortunately, the LASIK centers usually do not present the facts.)
You are an adult, and your decision was made, and I am sorry for disrespecting it.  It is none of my business.
I was only offering information to other people on this thread who asked about it.
Again, I am sorry.

Quoted:
I really don't care if it heals or not to tell all of you the truth.. if it doesn't GREAT if it does GREAT.. thanks to all the people who have said good and nice things about it and given me tips and guidelines.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
PhD stands for philosophiae doctor, meaning a Doctor of Philosophy.

You would probably rather have an MD perform surgery on you, IMHO.

In fact, if a PhD only guy has operated on you, he was probably just doing it for shits & giggles.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So... based on your comment (see above in red, underlined), you would rather listen to ONE side of the argument, the supposed "good and nice things", and ignore the other side of the argument-- the side that doesn't give you the answer you are looking for? Looks like you already made your mind up and just needed some reassurance.

Again, this thread is so full of the typical HCI-style logic.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I did some research for my SO on Lasik. The structure of the eye is compromised by the corneal flap, which never heals. This is the main reason that the USAF only allows the PRK procedure for pilots. BTW, we decided against having the procedure done. The risk/benefit ratio wasn't good enough to justify it.

From a discussion with Dr. Lloyd:

Surgeon, clinician, and lecturer Bill Lloyd, MD, is an experienced ophthalmologist who has devoted the last two decades to practicing and teaching medicine. His writings have appeared in leading medical journals, and he has been a contributing author to many leading textbooks in this interesting medical specialty.

Lloyd is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology and an elected Fellow to both the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He is a five-time recipient of the American Medical Association Physicians' Recognition Award.

Member: Dr. I had LASIK about four years ago and I developed some cell growth beneath my cornea and it keeps coming back. The cells I have were called epithelia cells and keep coming back. Do you have any advice that I could share with my doctor?

Lloyd: You are experiencing a very common complication from LASIK surgery. The outermost layer of cells on the corneal surface is called the epithelium. When the LASIK flap is created, a new pathway for these cells is created. The LASIK flap never heals. As an experienced eye pathologist, I can tell you that the LASIK flap NEVER heals. That means there is a thin layer of corneal tissue resting on the remaining cornea for life. No scar forms because (once again) there is no healing.

This raises two critical points: The LASIK flap remains available to both epithelial cells and germs for the remainder of your life. Secondly, the LASIK flap can be easily dislodged from simple contact with the eye such as a finger poke. Once the flap is lost the eye is in serious trouble. It will require a corneal transplant (a much more serious operation) to regain useful eyesight. Anyone who has had LASIK needs to wear eye protection when outdoors, working in the yard or participating in vigorous activities. These precautions must be followed for a lifetime.

For the rest of the discussion:

content.health.msn.com/content/article/61/68084.htm

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I did some research for my SO on Lasik. The structure of the eye is compromised by the corneal flap, which never heals. This is the main reason that the USAF only allows the PRK procedure for pilots. BTW, we decided against having the procedure done. The risk/benefit ratio wasn't good enough to justify it.

Many of your reasons in your original post are why I didn't have LASIK either. The main reason is the flap issue. When I had Laser PRK done, I knew that if the Military approved it for their pilots and divers, that it must be better than LASIK since they would not approve it.

If you decide to go into a profession that does not allow LASIK, you are really limiting your options, as well as having weakened the structure of your eye. Pressure to the eye, or a hard impact, like getting hit with a Tennis Ball, can be detrimental to someone who's had LASIK.

Both procedures allow for future corrections, depending on the thickness of the material they are working with.

I cannot believe the pro-LASIK people continue to ignore the facts about the possible dangers of the flap. (HCI style logic)
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, NOT everyone is a candidate for a corneal transplant (the donor button may be too small especially if you have LARGE pupils).
But, as more and more LASIK patients are created, the donor pool shrinks and you know what supply and demand can do....I can only hope that SOON there will be a new technology to repair the eye and replace/regrow the cornea.

Quoted:

From a discussion with Dr. Lloyd:

Surgeon, clinician, and lecturer Bill Lloyd, MD, is an experienced ophthalmologist who has devoted the last two decades to practicing and teaching medicine. His writings have appeared in leading medical journals, and he has been a contributing author to many leading textbooks in this interesting medical specialty.

Lloyd is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology and an elected Fellow to both the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He is a five-time recipient of the American Medical Association Physicians' Recognition Award.

Member: Dr. I had LASIK about four years ago and I developed some cell growth beneath my cornea and it keeps coming back. The cells I have were called epithelia cells and keep coming back. Do you have any advice that I could share with my doctor?

Lloyd: You are experiencing a very common complication from LASIK surgery. The outermost layer of cells on the corneal surface is called the epithelium. When the LASIK flap is created, a new pathway for these cells is created. The LASIK flap never heals. As an experienced eye pathologist, I can tell you that the LASIK flap NEVER heals. That means there is a thin layer of corneal tissue resting on the remaining cornea for life. No scar forms because (once again) there is no healing.

This raises two critical points: The LASIK flap remains available to both epithelial cells and germs for the remainder of your life. Secondly, the LASIK flap can be easily dislodged from simple contact with the eye such as a finger poke. Once the flap is lost the eye is in serious trouble. It will require a corneal transplant (a much more serious operation) to regain useful eyesight. Anyone who has had LASIK needs to wear eye protection when outdoors, working in the yard or participating in vigorous activities. These precautions must be followed for a lifetime.

For the rest of the discussion:

content.health.msn.com/content/article/61/68084.htm

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately some operations (ie: for hyperopia) can only be done with LASIK or similar.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many of your reasons in your original post are why I didn't have LASIK either. The main reason is the flap issue. When I had Laser PRK done, I knew that if the Military approved it for their pilots and divers, that it must be better than LASIK since they would not approve it.

If you decide to go into a profession that does not allow LASIK, you are really limiting your options, as well as having weakened the structure of your eye. Pressure to the eye, or a hard impact, like getting hit with a Tennis Ball, can be detrimental to someone who's had LASIK.

Both procedures allow for future corrections, depending on the thickness of the material they are working with.

I cannot believe the pro-LASIK people continue to ignore the facts about the possible dangers of the flap. (HCI style logic)

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
We had a 2 hour orientation about the different types of eye surgery.  Me and my dad both knew all the advantages and disadvantages to the surgery.  My choice was either do LASIK or continue to wait and wait till something else was available and no one knows when that will be especially for my vision which was -8.25 in my right eye and -8.00 in my left.  It was LASIK or wearing glasses for a few more years.. the longer you wait the less advantage you have because of age.  That whole 2 hours I learned more about LASIK and PRK and RK and CK and all other types than any info on the internet.  I got it straight from the doctor performing the surgery that did my eyes 30 minutes later.  

I myself have NOT agreed that it does not heal completely or it does.  Like I said it doesn't matter to me I was sick of wearing glasses and was really near sighted.  PRK couldn't get the job done so it was LASIK and thats what I did.  If I get hit in the eye with a ball or anything else and my flap comes off well.. i guess shit happens.  I will call the doctor and tell her it has come off and she will get me in the soonest she can and will fix my problem for FREE.  I am not worried about it coming loose.  I know that it can come loose when enough force is applied.  Hell even rubbing your eyes 2 months later can dislodge it.  BUT I DON'T FUCKING CARE!!!!!!!!!!1.. I was sick of glasses and lasik was it.  I knew it would come off if i fucked up and i went ahead and did it.  So there fuck off and quit hijacking my thread.  I never asked the flap questions someone else did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We had a 2 hour orientation about the different types of eye surgery.  Me and my dad both knew all the advantages and disadvantages to the surgery.  My choice was either do LASIK or continue to wait and wait till something else was available and no one knows when that will be especially for my vision which was -8.25 in my right eye and -8.00 in my left.  It was LASIK or wearing glasses for a few more years.. the longer you wait the less advantage you have because of age.  That whole 2 hours I learned more about LASIK and PRK and RK and CK and all other types than any info on the internet.  I got it straight from the doctor performing the surgery that did my eyes 30 minutes later.  

I myself have NOT agreed that it does not heal completely or it does.  Like I said it doesn't matter to me I was sick of wearing glasses and was really near sighted.  PRK couldn't get the job done so it was LASIK and thats what I did.  If I get hit in the eye with a ball or anything else and my flap comes off well.. i guess shit happens.  I will call the doctor and tell her it has come off and she will get me in the soonest she can and will fix my problem for FREE.  I am not worried about it coming loose.  I know that it can come loose when enough force is applied.  Hell even rubbing your eyes 2 months later can dislodge it.  BUT I DON'T FUCKING CARE!!!!!!!!!!1.. I was sick of glasses and lasik was it.  I knew it would come off if i fucked up and i went ahead and did it.  So there fuck off and quit hijacking my thread.  I never asked the flap questions someone else did.

Exactly!
So why are you yelling at me and not the person asking about the flap???

PS: is this not a "discussion" forum?

don't get your panties in a wad over this....geez
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I just didn't appreciate everyone arguing in my thread.  I apologize
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Another non-surgical option for correcting some eyesight problems is "Ortho K." Essentially, you are fitted for lens-shaping contacts which reshape your eye while you sleep, correcting your vision to ~20/20. No contacts needed during the day. No surgical complications, but a non-permanent "solution." Not as many providers for this procedure.

One of my friends has been fitted for ortho K lens. He is a waterskier (as well as a shooter) who got sick of losing conventional contacts. Ortho K works great for him. he wasn't willing to risk th ecomplications associated with Lasik, as outlined here.

Heh, where I work, PHD is an acronym for "Piled Higher and Deeper." I know doorstops with more common sense than some PhDs. Trust me on this
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am sorry too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I hear the Ortho K thing was a neat approach.  It never really caught on though, probably because it is not as "fast" an operation.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine done amost 3 years ago, I have been very happy with it.
Seeing as just about any cut on the body will heal given time I don't understand why the cornea wouldn't. I have taken a few hits to my eyes including foreign objects in them many times since surgery. I have had no problems.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

These "PHD" guys are cracking many of us up.

LASIK sucks, ahhhh cause I said soooooo....

Reminds me of the guy who always badmouths the CMP, a group no one else I have ever met has had any bad experiences.

Hey you can't please everyone.

PS glad it worked for you!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My Dr. has told me (us, everyone) that the flap can be lifted up for up to 2 years if adjustments are necessary.

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top