[#1]
On duty I carry four

Right front pocket..

EMERSON COMMANDER

Right back pocket

BENCHMADE 5000

left backpocket

Spyderco Endura

In my opinion if you are gonna carry five hundred dollars worth of gun...you might as well have that much in your pocket in knives....

Never know when you might have to clean your fingernails.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Gerber Covert(right side) and Tarani Journeyman Kerambit(left hand).

Yes.  I just trained with Steve Tarani on edged weapons and DTs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on guys, don't give up on this.  I still want to hear who here actually trains with edged weapons and the training consist of.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
for work i carry a S&W 1250 auto tanto blade, and either my officer Swiss, or leatherman wave.
Off time i carry a Gerber Emerson Alliance auto  with 154 CM steel blade ,nonserrated.
My dress knife is either one of my Mikov damascus autos.
and i like bringing my Colt M16K auto, and my swiss army credit card to the range.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By peter nap:

I'm not a metalurgist so forgive me. You forge you own steel? How so

I put the steel in the forge, get it hot, lay it on the anvil and hit it with a hammer,

This isn't me. I was taking the picture but it is a friend of mine at a hammerin this summer. If that impress you you should see us hammer out muzzleloader parts. Makes for a lot of profanity!
pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/peternap/mark+forge.jpg

That reminds me of when I forged out a cold chisel and crow bar in High School shop class.  Me and the teacher were swearing.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On duty I carry four

Right front pocket..

EMERSON COMMANDER

Right back pocket

BENCHMADE 5000

left backpocket

Spyderco Endura

In my opinion if you are gonna carry five hundred dollars worth of gun...you might as well have that much in your pocket in knives....

I like your thinking!  but that's only 3.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your post earlier about the "scooter trash" is what prompted me to start this.  Kudo's BTW.

Not familiar with the kerambit but I've done a bit of training/instructing, as well.

BTW, I grew up in Indy.  Where are you?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Colt AR15-K for $20 recently.
It seems a lot better than any $20 knife I've seen.
Are they any good?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fixed-blade enthusiast:

Chris Reeve Green Beret in CPM S30V, 7"
SOG Trident in AUS-8, 6.5"
Ka-Bar 1217 USMC in 1095, 7"
Ka-Bar 1283 in D2, 7"
Ka-Bar Next-Gen Fighter in Sandvik 12C27 steel, 7"
Entrek Ranger in 440C, 9"
Cold Steel Magnum Tanto in AUS-8, 9" (x2)
Cold Steel Magnum Tanto in San Mai III, 7.5"
Cold Steel Kobun in AUS-8, 5.25"
Cold Steel Trailmaster in Carbon-V, 9.5"
Cold Steel R1 Military Classic (Randall No. 1 replica) in AUS-8, 7"
Camillus/Becker Knife & Tool BK7 in 0170-6C, 7"

Still waiting to take the dive for an authentic Randall Number 1 to my specs.

I do have one liner-lock knife:
Benchmade 975BT in ATS-34, 4"
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post earlier about the "scooter trash" is what prompted me to start this.  Kudo's BTW.

Not familiar with the kerambit but I've done a bit of training/instructing, as well.

BTW, I grew up in Indy.  Where are you?

West....
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, I've got a question.  I often carry a simple folding pocket knife (in a pocket) with about a three inch blade, but it would take me a moment to fish it out and extend the blade.  For practical purposes, wouldn't it be better to carry a strait edge blade (maybe 4 to 6 inch blade) on the belt?

I admit to not feeling totally confident with my folding knife.  I worry that it's too short, isn't as strong as a non-folding knife, and not as accessable as it should be.

IMHO a 3 inch blade is fine.  However, having said that, there is more to consider.  Is it locking or not?  You don't want to get into a knife fight and have the damn thing fold up your fingers.  Look into some of the tactical folders being posted.  Some you can get cheap but quality costs.  Then get some training.

HTH.

You don't have to be concerned about the knife folding during a knife fight, I used to have a non-locking folding knife, and I was cutting some papers, it folded and I got cut. That is when I got a buck 110. The newer knives are a lot lighter due to the use of G10 & titanium.

Care to explain on not needing to be concerned about a non-locking knife not folding up?  Myself, and other instructors I've trained with have a slightly different opinion but I'm always open to hearing new and differing opinions.

i think he meant it didn't take a fight for him to have one fold up and cut him.  
i've had it happen too - so i would not serioiusly consider depending on a non locking folder for any defensive work.  
i would think you'd rather have a fixed blade so you won't slide forward and cut yourself if you were to hit something solid.
never had any training though.  any good suggestions for the average citizen?
i've always firgued distance was my ally and a gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]

i think he meant it didn't take a fight for him to have one fold up and cut him.  
i've had it happen too - so i would not serioiusly consider depending on a non locking folder for any defensive work.  
i would think you'd rather have a fixed blade so you won't slide forward and cut yourself if you were to hit something solid.
never had any training though.  any good suggestions for the average citizen?
i've always firgued distance was my ally and a gun.

Aah!  Yes, I have a few finger tip scars myself!  Fixed vs. folder really doesn't have anything to do with sliding up.  Just the length of the tool.  In a simplistic scenario you don't hold the knife like you the "pimps" in Hollywood, but rather a reverse grip.  Knife fighting, or knife defense, is something that you really need hands on training by a qualified instructor.

Distance is your ally, escape if possible, firearms if necessary, edged weapons followed by hand-to-hand.  This is all worst case with escape being preferable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]

West....

Well, that narrows it down.  I've got a good friend who served with in the Corps that is now ISP in your "west" neck of the woods.

I'm not familiar with the guy you've been training with.  Can you point me to some more info on that?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Liner locks I typically  carry are a S&W S.W.A.T  1'st millenium run, G10 handles and 1/2 serrated, Or a Cheap Master Knives Emerson CQ Knockoff. Its also chisel ground, aluminum scales, and sturdy as hell. $15 and its lasted me 5 years already with only a couple of resharpenings.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Knives? nah, I never carry a knife to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
My use is practical rather than tactical. I use on the farm every day a Shrade Old Timer skinner. Belt clip is a small Gerber folder.

Training is Kendo and Wado Ryu. This covers hand to hand and weapons.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyday pocket knife is a Swiss Army Camper with a 3" blade…

And for serious knifework I have my 6"  Finnish hunting knife…

Andy
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep coming back to a Spydie Endura with the clip reversed.  Pinch it out of your pocket and snap the blade open.  Did I tell you I really like reverse grip?  A friend lent me a Spyderco Chinook II.  Very nice, but he asked for it back.   I've had MODs, Emersons, BMs, and CRKTs.  I return to the Endura for many reasons.

By the way, I quoted someone else in my sig.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Knives? nah, I never carry a knife to a gunfight.

You should look back many years on a very informed article by Ayoob (sp) about bringing a knife to gun fight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My use is practical rather than tactical. I use on the farm every day a Shrade Old Timer skinner. Belt clip is a small Gerber folder.

Training is Kendo and Wado Ryu. This covers hand to hand and weapons.

Practical is tactical (IMHO).  Mine started as Okinawan GoJu Ryu, then Shuri Ryu, then Shinto Yoshin Ryu.  Started when I was 6.  Used to spar with Bill Wallace as a kid.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I keep coming back to a Spydie Endura with the clip reversed.  Pinch it out of your pocket and snap the blade open.  Did I tell you I really like reverse grip?  A friend lent me a Spyderco Chinook II.  Very nice, but he asked for it back.   I've had MODs, Emersons, BMs, and CRKTs.  I return to the Endura for many reasons.

By the way, I quoted someone else in my sig.
Mike

When you get to it, it is mostly mind-set.  Good sig.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine has taken Goju Ryu for about 10 years. He is tough. We spar occasionally. Hard style though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On duty I carry four

Right front pocket..

EMERSON COMMANDER

Right back pocket

BENCHMADE 5000

left backpocket

Spyderco Endura

oh..and on some nights...when I get that bad feeling..I carry a crappy cold steel mini-tac strapped into my vest or in an improvised boot strap....its strong enough to go through a car door...and razor sharp...but its not the quality I am used to.

I have done some pretty extensive edged weapons training...in Krav Maga and a few knife/counterknife classes.  Thank God I have never had to use my evil skills.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry a gerber multi-tool pretty much wherever I go. Hunting (I got too many knives) I usually carrymy skinner, my multi tool and whatever fixed blade I fancy that day. On deployment I carried a K-BAR strapped to the outside of my armor so I could get at it quick.

___________________________________________________________________________________

My pistol and rifle are merely tools..... I'M THE WEAPON
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Spyderco
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry 2 Spyderco Natives, an M16 Fire Dept model (tanto large model) and a leatherman Wave, always, sometimes I put a Mini KaBar in my Boots.....  but not as often as carrying th eother knives
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]

That's good stuff, Nap. I'd like to get up there and see that first hand some day.

What's your opinion on the spring steel idea I've had?

5160 is what was used on older car springs (still is on some) a lot of the newer ones use 10 series steel that also makes fine knives.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
For work Gerber 650 Gator, for other Benchmade 710 McHenry/Williams
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Kershaw 1560
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Good old fashioned Swiss Army Knife.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a Benchmade Griptillian, but it got lost while I was on the way back from a range in Korea.  I carry a Cold Steel push dagger now.  Can't remember the name of it though, I don't often look at the name on the blade actually.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A friend of mine has taken Goju Ryu for about 10 years. He is tough. We spar occasionally. Hard style though.

Goju is a pretty hard style.  I'm particularly glad that was what I cut my teeth on.  Ask your friend if he's familiar with Mr. Glenn Keeney.  My first Sensei.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
On duty I carry four

Right front pocket..

EMERSON COMMANDER

Right back pocket

BENCHMADE 5000

left backpocket

Spyderco Endura

oh..and on some nights...when I get that bad feeling..I carry a crappy cold steel mini-tac strapped into my vest or in an improvised boot strap....its strong enough to go through a car door...and razor sharp...but its not the quality I am used to.

I have done some pretty extensive edged weapons training...in Krav Maga and a few knife/counterknife classes.  Thank God I have never had to use my evil skills.

I've been remiss in my training in the last 2-3 years as far not training at a regular dojo.  Krav Maga is something I've been seeing lately but have no experience with. I need to check into that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Cold Steel Voyager
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#36]
My Knives:

USMC KA-BAR black
USMC KA-BAR Desert Storm special
Spyperco folder with Blackhawk sheath
SOG power pliers
Leatherman power pliers
US Military issue machete
USMC NCO Sword
Japanese Samurai Sword (bought in Japan)
US Military issue pocket knife
WWI trench knife
Swiss Army Knife
Various other POS knives ( the ones made in Pakistan and Taiwan)

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I carry a dicontinued Tim Wegner Jr. plain edge.  I only use it to open letters.  

PS:  If anyone else has one, I'll take it off your hands to use as a spare.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I always carry at least one edged weapon. For concealed carry, most of the time its a CRKT Hissatsu 7" Japanese style fighter, although I also carry an SOG Pentagon 5" dagger quite a bit as well. I also carry a folding knife for everyday cutting chores, usually a S&W Framelock tanto, or an SOG Flash.

On my web gear, I carry an SOG Tsunami or Dessert Dagger on the vest for defensive use and a CRKT Sawtooth or SOG SEAL knife for utility purposes on the straps of my thigh holster.

I train regularly with all of my blades. I have used a knife to defend my life in the past and really learned the value of an edged weapon in up close situations.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Folder:  Microtech SOCOM double-action

Fixed blade:  Mad Dog ATAK II
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Folder:  Microtech SOCOM double-action

Fixed blade:  Mad Dog ATAK II

I didn't think convicted felon wackjobs were allowed to carry any weapons............can you spell p-r-o-b-a-t-i-o-n  v-i-o-l-a-t-i-o-n ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#42]
RoughCut:

Can you spell S-e-c-o-n-d A-m-e-n-d-m-e-n-t ?

How about u-n-a-l-i-e-n-a-b-l-e i-n-d-i-v-i-d-u-a-l r-i-g-h-t ?

No, I didn't think you could. You'll go far as a politician, judge or LEO.

"Wackjob?" I suppose I should be honored that you made your first post on ar15.com by launching a personal attack on me (a coc violation, but that's OK as personal attacks on libertarians seem to be encouraged on this forum).

In 1970, I quit college so I could volunteer for the Army, volunteer for the Infantry, and volunteer for service in Vietnam. At the FBI Academy in 1983, I said the DOJ "interpretation" that the Second Amendment does not apply to mere private citizens was wrong and I would not enforce unconstitutional laws (exit one Special Agent). In 1998, I refused the BATF's solicitation to become an informant. You're right, RoughCut. I must be "wacky."
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#43]
benchmade auto folder
elishewitz 9500
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I carry a OD Green Emerson Commander, and a Gerber EOD tool

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to carry a Spyderco Civilian. One day I will probably get another one. Right now I'm carring a CRKT M16.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I carry a Case Sod Buster, with the stainless blade.  You see, I work in the shell application room in a foundry. We're talking 80% humidity. I need something with a edge that won't rust. Before this one, I used to carry a old pre WW2 German clasp knife. No maker mark, just marked "Solingen". Holds one heck of an edge.

Fight with a knife, are you nuts? If it comes down to that, I'll grab a stick. Big stick beats knife. Failing that, I'll work on my Jesse Owens impression. See the fat white man fly!

Back in my younger, pre pistol permit days, I used to carry a Puma White Hunter. Don't think I'd try that now.

I have a Randall number 5 for a hunting knife, and by God, it actually shows use. I've even sharpened it  (gasp).

G

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I normally switch between these two and a CRKT M16-14LE.

CRKT 7914D "Desert Cruiser"
Emerson Mini-CQC7B
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Strider Tanto folder (the one with the Ti scale / liner lock)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top