during hard use .

But as usual it's easier to condemn all motor oils than explain the differences
that make some good and some bad . The whole idea of teaching to the lowest
common denominator irritates the hell out of me
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Since when does carb cleaner hurt barrels [>:/] And as to taking off the finish, how many military weapons have finish left on them anyway
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what about shaving cream and taking your m16 in the shower with you?, or is that your boots I forget.

Yep. I've seen people try to use shaving cream before. Never saw them use water until I was at PLDC near the end of the course. I walked into the bathroom and found a guy with shaving cream and his M16 stripped apart in the utility tub.

When I saw the thread topic I thought it was going to be PS magazine giving bad advice, but that actually brings up a lot of common BS beliefs I've seen in the Army. Unfortunately, you can't fully expect the Soldiers to stop cleaning with ridiculous methods when you have inspectors checking for cleanliness of ridiculous standards.

During the short time I was in the Army I witnessed all of the bad cleaning practices mentioned above.

Cleaning practices that cause weapon damage will never cease as long as Officers and NCO’s  insist that weapons are completely oil and carbon free when turned in.

Officers and NCO’s who insist that weapons are completely oil and carbon free when turned in need to spend more time living in the field and less time worrying about how their uniform looks.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

in the Army I witnessed all of the bad cleaning practices mentioned above.

Cleaning practices that cause weapon damage will never cease as long as Officers and NCO’s  insist that weapons are completely oil and carbon free when turned in.

Officers and NCO’s who insist that weapons are completely oil and carbon free when turned in need to spend more time living in the field and less time worrying about how their uniform looks.

Agreed, on all counts.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what about shaving cream and taking your m16 in the shower with you?, or is that your boots I forget.

Yep. I've seen people try to use shaving cream before. Never saw them use water until I was at PLDC near the end of the course. I walked into the bathroom and found a guy with shaving cream and his M16 stripped apart in the utility tub.

When I saw the thread topic I thought it was going to be PS magazine giving bad advice, but that actually brings up a lot of common BS beliefs I've seen in the Army. Unfortunately, you can't fully expect the Soldiers to stop cleaning with ridiculous methods when you have inspectors checking for cleanliness of ridiculous standards.

During the short time I was in the Army I witnessed all of the bad cleaning practices mentioned above.

That was the Army I remember. Had to be completely clean and NO oil traces. Only way to do that was one of these blatantly banned methods.
It was a game, to get one clean enough to turn in you had to do something terrible to it and not get caught. Hopefully your rifle wasn't filled with rust and oxidation next you had to draw it out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that Gun Scrubber the same as carb cleaner?   Im curious.

No, but Gun Scrubber is pretty much the same as brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#10]
OMFG, Miss Connie Rodd was hotter than Marilyn Monroe back in the 1960s issues of PS Magazine.    Excuse me, I have to go clean up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The motor oil and carb cleaner line is gonna break some hearts around here.

Mobi1 does not harden in an AR-15, and that's a fact. No idea what the deal is with whatever it is they pour in military vehicles.

And seriously, who uses carb cleaner? Non chlorinated brake cleaner is extremely common (and fine), but carb cleaner?

Agreed, carb cleaner should be used for its intended purpose, and that is to kill hornets and wasps in mid air.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I use carb cleaner and CLP for several of my rifles. I keep it away from plastic parts though. Never had a problem with it.
My method is use large amount of CLP, scrub with brush, add more CLP. Let everything soak for a day. Spray off with carb cleaner, then CLP to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The motor oil and carb cleaner line is gonna break some hearts around here.

Mobi1 does not harden in an AR-15, and that's a fact. No idea what the deal is with whatever it is they pour in military vehicles.

And seriously, who uses carb cleaner? Non chlorinated brake cleaner is extremely common (and fine), but carb cleaner?

Agreed, carb cleaner should be used for its intended purpose, and that is to kill hornets and wasps in mid air.

NO NO NO!!!!! You use Ether for that. [Starting fluid]

Carb cleaner is for SPIDERS.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
And we've still got respected members here that espouse WD-40.  I wish we could put that crap to bed once and for all along with carb cleaner and petroleum based motor oil.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
That comic is silly.  All the real HSLD guys know you just have to put your rifle in the dishwasher to get it clean.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top