Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I went from waking up to what I thought was a strained lower back in the morning to laying on the bathroom floor in my underwear, AC blowing in my face while sweat poured off of me and thinking I was going to die by that afternoon. Went to the ER a few days later when my urine looked like pink lemonade. They gave me some pain meds and told me to drink lemon water. Couple days later I passed it. It was 5mm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Cranberry juice doesn't actually help.

Drink lots of water or beer or juice.

I started moving a stone at the end of November at the same time I got a kidney infection.

The pain was a 3-5, whereas they normally get 8-9 on the pain scale.  So I figured it was just tiny small stones passing.

Wrong.

In December my blood pressure started spiking, as high as 195/125.

VERY long story short, my stone is a "silent" stone.  It got partway down my ureter and blocked it.  I developed hydronephrosis (swollen kidney), which means I likely have significant permanent kidney damage.  They gave me Cardura to lower my blood pressure and to open up the ureter so it would pass, helped with the bp, didn't do shit for moving the stone, though it probably helped reduce the pain.

On April 8th (!!!!) they finally did shockwave lithotripsy on me.  First day I passed a few sand-sized pieces, but then the pain went way up, stabbing and burning.  I finally passed the last chunk of that stone last night, so it was two weeks of 5-6 level pain throughout my groin and dick.

It took 5 MONTHS to clear that stone.  The pain wasn't horrible bad, but damn, it fucked up my kidney, and that's my good one.  The other kidney was damaged in a car accident when I was 14.  So fuck.

OP -- Get your ass to a doctor, get that stone x-rayed to see how big it is.  My son-of-a-bitch stone was only 4 mm, usually considered "passable".

If you got a stone that big or larger, have them do some kind of procedure to get it out of you.

My first stone, 2 years ago, was small, about 2 mm.  Passed it in about 5 days.  4 mm stone took 5 months.

I carry Vicodin in a key fob so I always have some on hand.  Just in case I'm travelling and a stone starts fucking with me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]

I have had 4. 2 times I waited until they passed on their own and 2 I went to ER. The pain is in your back. I curled up in a ball and twisted every which way but you cannot escape the pain. Pain pills did not help. I was going to try Dilaudid pills next but I havent had one in years. First one I threw up all over the ER bathroom it was so bad. Sorry cleaning crew...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the reasons I drink no less than 3 liters of H2O per day. I have heard about stones and don't want them. Water is free and easy. If your not peeing clear, your dehydrated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought one was on the way last year, and pee even had a pink tint...

knock on wood I havent experienced one yet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kidney stones suck.  Just had my second litho in 5 weeks Wednesday.

14mm and 11mm were my last 2.
View Quote

As in 1.4 CM????
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, you won't actually die. You'll just wish you'd die.
View Quote

I've passed 3 so far. Yeah it sux really bad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am getting this combination of fade in/fade out pain along with occasional stabbing pain in my kidney.  Right below where my ribcage ends.  Also some brief nausea which goes just as quickly.

My brother says I've got a nasty little surprise on the way soon, and claims I need to start drinking a fuckload of water and *real* cranberry juice.  I bought some tonight, and this shit is not only bitter as hell but it seems to be quite the laxative.

Will this give me a chance of dodging an ER visit soon, or is that an old wive's tale?  Is the pain as bad as claimed?

I'm doing lots of air travel soon, last thing I want would be a kidney stone pain to hit while on a flight.
View Quote

How bad is the stabbing pain on a 1-10 scale?

I've had a bunch of kidney stones... the first few for me were the worst, but then I think my ureter is a little desensitized now due to scar tissue and getting reamed out by some of the bigger stones... my more recent stones weren't as painful despite being the same size as my first ones. The pain from my 2nd stone totally reset my "level 10" pain... I didn't know if I was going to puke or pass out from the pain.

If you're having back/flank pain, I'd see about getting a CT scan.. at least then you'll know what you're dealing with. If it's a big stone, it's easier to break up with lithotripsy while it's still in the kidney. You don't want a big stone getting stuck in your ureter where they have to go in through your dick with a camera and a claw to get it. You'll end up with a stent in your ureter (see the earlier pic posted in this thread) that they'll take out later by putting the camera with a claw back in your dick while you're wide awake and then pull the stent out...

If you have a stone, you probably want to get a prescription for Flowmax and something for pain to have on hand... You don't want to have to sit for hours in an ER just for pain meds once it starts really moving.

Also, I hear that there's a substance that can be acquired in Colorado that can help tremendously with kidney stone pain.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to ER...get Dilaudid
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, if you have to have a stent...make sure you take Pyridium when they take it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Define "fun".  He says the pain was spectacular.  Worse than when he shattered both feet and ankles.  He's gotta be fucking with me, right??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dibs on guns, accessories, retirement plans, any land or property held in CO, motorcycles, and any taxidermy.

Oh yeah and you're probably gonna have some fun kidney stones.

Define "fun".  He says the pain was spectacular.  Worse than when he shattered both feet and ankles.  He's gotta be fucking with me, right??

First you think you're going to die.
Then you're afraid you won't.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Pain is epic.

Felt like someone kicked me in the balls really hard.

Mine was the size of a grain of salt.

I had stopped drinking sodas and tea over 2 years ago and still had my first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pain is epic.

Felt like someone kicked me in the balls really hard.

Mine was the size of a grain of salt.

I had stopped drinking sodas and tea over 2 years ago and still had my first.
View Quote

How the fuck did you find the thing?!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go get tested. If it's a kidney stone, you'll want to know. If it's not, you'll want to know.

I had a kidney stone once. They wouldn't give me pain meds until they identified the problem. It was terrible.

So yeah. Find out what it is tomorrow. If you have a complete blockage, you'll end up in the ER.

P.S. - I don't drink soda any more. Pretty much water. 40 oz in the morning. 40 in the afternoon. That's not including meals, when I exercise, etc.
View Quote

This my stone were not
Pain blood and clots were from cancer and loosing kidney next week
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top