BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coleman lanterns, not just for camping anymore.

Them'll kill ya inside.  Kerosene produces CO, but not anything like a Coleman lantern.

I've set one outside near a window and tried lighting a room that way.  It kind of worked.

well they were never just for camping to begin with. many homes where electricity did not reach used coleman laterns well into the 40's they were  a :"lighting" company first and moved into camping when they started to dry up. (i blew sometime in the "coleman museum" in Wichita on a biz trip once)

That said i certainly wouldn't sleep with one on in my house.

I have a few "Buddy" heaters that are rated safe for indoor use and a couple of battery powered CO detectors
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used the kerosene lamps when I've lost power before.  It was in the Summer, so I didn't need to use them for long periods at night.  I have the old antique glass ones, but I prefer the ones with the metal bases - less chance of catastrophic breakage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I love oil lamps and lanterns, but LEDs are more practical and safer. Saying that, we burn oil lamps on a daily basis. They give off a lot of heat and the GF loves coming home to the soft light and warmth. We use kerosene to suppliment our electric heat.

I use Kleen Heat from Home depot.

my lamp thread
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had any problems with my oil lamps and been using them for ten years. I feel safe using them, but like everyone says there's a first time for everything. I just be vigilant about keeping an eye on them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not tried this but have seen this advice on several camping and sailing websites––Adding 1 tbsp. of rubbing alcohol to kerosene for a lantern or heater will decrease odor.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hand sanitizer on a dinner plate works too

You git a lot more light if you use paper plates...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Any links to preferred LED lamps?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hand sanitizer on a dinner plate works too

You git a lot more light if you use paper plates...

I sure that could get lot more exciting too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got one of these, and I love it:

It solves two power outage problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They work, but they don't light up like "Little House on the Prairie," and also, they stink and can easily burn your house down, just like all the burned down barns in the old westerns.  The battery operated LEDs or flourescents are way mo' betta.

Depends on how cold it is.

I have coleman lanterns since they put out not just light, but some heat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive got a couple myself but I think theyll be a last ditch resort. My eye is set on one of those Coleman lanterns with the 4 removable LED panels that click into the base.

ETA: and yes, use lamp oil, not kero.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They work, but they don't light up like "Little House on the Prairie," and also, they stink and can easily burn your house down, just like all the burned down barns in the old westerns.  The battery operated LEDs or flourescents are way mo' betta.

Depends on how cold it is.

I have coleman lanterns since they put out not just light, but some heat.

If I've let my place get cold enough to cause that kind of problem then light will not be my first concern.  

True that.  Warmed up to -20, today.  Gettin' downright balmy, outside.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I have four of the Dietz lanterns.
I use them a lot for camping but they work good as a standby if the power goes out at the house.
I've had them for years and always used lamp oil in them and never had a problem.
They do "lamp black" up if the wick gets turned up to high.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Coleman lanterns are nice, and I use them regularly.

But dang...   they're LOUD.  A wick type lantern is certainly a hell of a lot quieter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
K-1 is a nasty, stinky, dangerous fuel.

I am in the LED crowd.

+1

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got one of these, and I love it:

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tn2000Cooker.jpg

It solves two power outage problems.

i have one and it works great.

Used it about 3 weeks ago when the power went out.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have not tried this but have seen this advice on several camping and sailing websites––Adding 1 tbsp. of rubbing alcohol to kerosene for a lantern or heater will decrease odor.

If you do this make sure it's the 97% stuff not the 70 percent, they actually recommend wood alcohol.  It's added not to decrease odor but to help cope with any water that might be in the kerosene.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive got a couple myself but I think theyll be a last ditch resort. My eye is set on one of those Coleman lanterns with the 4 removable LED panels that click into the base.

I hadn't seen these before.  I went and checked them out based on your post.  That's pretty awesome.  However, they take D-Cell batteries.  Which means no lithium and no eneloops.  I'll have to pass.  I've standardized on CR123 and AA.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I like mine, I use ones I got from a friend, they are newer made in china with really thick glass bases, decorative. They provide nice light when I want to "set the mood" and on the plus side I dont get soot problems by using Keroclean from fred meyers, it was on sale 5 gallon jug for 12 bucks. I also scented it with cinnamon stuff to make it smell nice, I light them up and shabam 15 minutes later my house smells like a cinnamon roll. I like the idea of the dietz cooker lantern, where did you get that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the dietz cooker lantern, where did you get that?

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=DHL2000
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hadn't seen these before.  I went and checked them out based on your post.  That's pretty awesome.  However, they take D-Cell batteries.  Which means no lithium and no eneloops.  I'll have to pass.  I've standardized on CR123 and AA.

There are cheap AA to D cell adapters out there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#23]
You can stay warm and have many hours of enjoyment with Amber Lamps.

Seriously though I have a few Coleman Lanterns and a couple gallons of fuel. Use them for camping or when the power goes out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the old-school brass nautical ones.  More for decoration, but they're practical, too I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are cheap AA to D cell adapters out there.

When an AA has ~2500 mAh, and a D cell has ~12000 mAh, using adapters doesn't seem like a very good solution.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#26]
We normally have about 500 gallons of kerosene on hand at work (family business) so I'd pretty much have access to what I need. I've looked at the lamps, the construction, and still wouldn't feel safe with those things in my house with my kids.

We have a fireplace and a backup propane heater. I'm thinking batteries and LED's, maybe even with a small solar charger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#27]
They are nice, but I am too afraid of the hazards.

Chemsticks and LEDs are best.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with kerosene as an option.  Don't knock it over and it won't light on fire, I can't see a problem with it. Any open flame can be dangerous, just treat it with some respect as you would a firearm and it will work fine.

We've got a few sitting around but haven't used them in awhile.  I'm not sure I'd know where to buy kerosene if I wanted it.

my old man is a fire inspector

death and major property loss from fire and CO poisoning go up dramatically when the lights go out and flames come out.

Our homes are not set up for open flames like they might have been before the invention of the lightbulb.  We may have sources of light from fire, but insufficient fixtures.  Also, the glass of those lamps is not as strong as it used to be.  Those are mainly decorative only.

It is not just dumb idiots only that do this.  Last week a brilliant advertising executive down the road from us in CT killed her three kids and her two parents because they put hot ashes in a garbage can because the kids were afraid to "burn" santa.  Your most slack jawed yokel from the ozarks knows this, but she didn't.

From a Ski Town here.  Count on at least 1 fire a year from people vacuuming up still hots coals at the rental ski house and then driving off.  People are dumb
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I have kerosene heaters, lamps and lanterns. I love them and they are safe is used correctly. Location is everything with anything that burns. I place my lamps on stable, fireproof surfaces. I crack a window in the room where the heater is burning and use good common sense. Kerosene appliances are safe when used with caution.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I used Colemans, (propane and Coleman fuel), on my sailboat for years. Rarely broke a mantle. Had a small one for the summer and a larger, multi mantle one for the winter- light and heat. I still use them from time to time, mostly in our former house that didn't have electric light in the attic.

I have a couple of the old lamps my grandmother had and some lamp oil. I used them last April after the tornadoes, along with a 6volt anchor light from my old boat and some of the umpteen dozen candles my wife has bought. Place smelled like a head shop, but no fires were experienced.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aladdin Lamps

They create a brilliant white light and a good bit of heat, very good stuff.

Indeed. We have a beautiful Aladdin and it is bright! We have a couple of old hurricane lamps from my granny, a dietz lantern, a couple of coleman lamps. We have so many different kinds of lamps I don't think we'll be in the dark for a long time. I have an old miner's hat lamp too. But no calcium carbide...

Only sucky thing about Aladdins is they are E X pensive, for a lamp. But they are quite lovely.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#32]

When an AA has ~2500 mAh, and a D cell has ~12000 mAh, using adapters doesn't seem like a very good solution.
Soshine makes a 2xAA 'D' adapter.I use three with six eneloops in a Rayovac Xtreme 300-Lumen LED Lantern.Works ok.
I've got lithiums as backup.

Dietz as backup light and heat source also.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top