BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2

Definitely weird, OP.  I'd say some sort of vapor trail, illuminated by the sun.  But at 0130?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If most people knew how many objects fall to earth on a daily basis, they would be flabbergasted.
View Quote

The closest I've seen to this was something heading from here (Lexington) towards Charlottesville six months to a year ago, and it burned for about 4 seconds before a disintegrating explosion.  It was maybe 10-15º above the horizon when it went kaboom.   I checked Cville, Richmond and DC news for kabooms, but nothing - with the city lights, they probably never saw it.  

I've also seen a really impressive disintegration while on I-24W out of Chattanooga, climbing up towards Eagle Rock/Nest/? whatever that town is up on the plateau.

There have been a couple of others, but nothing quite like the I-24 and Cville thing, and absolutely nothing like the most recent one - this recent one was like super slow motion compared to everything I've seen before, and the color was orange, not the white/yellow of the other meteors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It on the Atlanta news stations as seen in Ga, AL, FL, TN and SC and now Va, Atlanta TV stations have some video of it...there s a NASA Sky Watch Cam there that caught it...probably a big piece of space junk or ISS decided to commit suicide cause the supply ship blew up and no snacks...
View Quote

Awesome.

FWIW, it was on Arfcom first.

I should put up webcams, if nothing else, the F-15 flybys would be worth it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It on the Atlanta news stations as seen in Ga, AL, FL, TN and SC and now Va, Atlanta TV stations have some video of it...there s a NASA Sky Watch Cam there that caught it...probably a big piece of space junk or ISS decided to commit suicide cause the supply ship blew up and no snacks...
View Quote

Thanks for the update!
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/mystery-object-lights-sky-metro-atlanta/nmnYx/

That thing made if from ATL to me in something like 3 minutes.  When it passed even with my location it looked like it was just putzing along, maybe about 2-3x the angular sweep of an airliner at cruise altitude.  When it passed west of me, it was a dim, orange glow; no tail remaining at that point, but the glow had an irregular shape to it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The longest meteor steaks I've seen have been 4-6 seconds.

This one was visible for 3 minutes, maybe.  

It started out looking like Mars was in the wrong part of
the sky.  Then looked like a plane climbing out of ROA, 50
miles to the south, but too orange for aircraft lights.  I was
probably watching it for close to a minute before I could
begin to see the trail of sparks (for lack of a better term).
View Quote

I've seen 'em last a lot longer than I thought they should, I think it was during the Perseid shower some years back.  It does happen.  Pretty cool to see.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was visible in the upstate of SC here too. I didn't see it, but I did see the pics of it on Facebook.

Also, was there any rumbling or anything with it? Something woke me up last night and it was a noise that I couldn't identify. I woke up startled and asked my son if he was making a noise that woke me up, and he said he wasn't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
No noise where I was.  It was definitely supersonic when it passed my position, but there was no boom.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Note to self: never go outside without the camera.

This is from Thursday night.  This cloud was probably over Appomattox, and you couldn't hear any thunder.  I was just out after sunset to let the dogs out when I noticed this, and raced back in to grab the camera and tripod.  The sun had set, but the waxing moon was up above the cloud, way out of the photo, to the right - maybe that's what gave the cloud the blue glow?  I dunno.  The blue glow of the top of the cloud was independent of the lightning.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Note to self: never go outside without the camera.

This is from Thursday night.  This cloud was probably over Appomattox, and you couldn't hear any thunder.  I was just out after sunset to let the dogs out when I noticed this, and raced back in to grab the camera and tripod.  The sun had set, but the waxing moon was up above the cloud, way out of the photo, to the right - maybe that's what gave the cloud the blue glow?  I dunno.  The blue glow of the top of the cloud was independent of the lightning.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/Landscapes/_DSC0441Az_zpszjquo8f0.jpg
View Quote

Magnificent.

No, sir, you are never to go outside without a camera again. Ever. Matter of fact, and in the spirit of taking pity on those of us who can't photograph worth a shit, you should probably remake this thread into a daily post of your awesome pictures. I know I sure would love to see them if they are anything like that lightning picture. Skills --- you haz 'em.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jade Helm
View Quote

OMG and I don't even have my tin foil hat ready!!!!111!!!111!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Mach 16.  That's my rough guess at the average speed of the object.  About 360 miles in 2 minutes.  Of course, there is a lot of +/- on those values, but it's a first guess.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A couple of magnets flew off of my treadmill.  No problem,  stand down from DEACON 5.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
From a satellite observing list:

"As Jonathan McDowell reported earlier, the re-entry of 1973-084D / 6939 was seen from the southeastern U.S.A. on 2015 Jun 29 near 05:30 UTC (01:30 EDT). It was the Blok-L stage of the Cosmos 606 launch. Empty mass 1160 kg."
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope this doesn't detract from your thread OP, but I'd like to share a related story that my dad told me.

Him and his good preacher friend named John was out in the duck pond one morning (around 0500), waiting for sunrise after setting out the decoy spread. They were both sitting in the boat, enjoying a cup of coffee, and looking at all the stars above as it was a crystal clear sky. There are ducks starting to fly around, and they are both getting antsy to start shooting, but patient to wait for shooting time.

John asks my dad, "Hey Ronnie, what time you got man? need a flashlight to look at your watch?" My dad said, "No man, I don't need a light, check this out! My son got me this cool new watch, its called an indiglo and the whole screen lights up!" He reaches down and just as he hits the light button, the whole entire marsh lights up like daytime at that exact moment. They both look up and see a giant piece of space junk/satellite burning up above their heads, and continues to burn in for about a minute. My dad said it was one of the most beautiful things he'd ever seen in his life. Pastor John looks at my dad after the initial shock wore off and said, "Yeah Ronnie, that watch REALLY is something special!"

I still have the newspaper article that he saved about the fireball.

Thanks dad, I miss ya buddy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
It was Chuck Norris, proving to NASA, that the need for a man rated capsule was highly overrated...

it was however embarrassing for NASA when he showed up mostly naked with the charred remains of his clothing still on him, smoldering from the re-entry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple of magnets flew off of my treadmill.  No problem,  stand down from DEACON 5.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s496/captainpooby/deacon%20copy_zpse2m86xns.jpg

Hilarious
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From a satellite observing list:

"As Jonathan McDowell reported earlier, the re-entry of 1973-084D / 6939 was seen from the southeastern U.S.A. on 2015 Jun 29 near 05:30 UTC (01:30 EDT). It was the Blok-L stage of the Cosmos 606 launch. Empty mass 1160 kg."
View Quote

Aha.  

That explains the faintly audible, "Mens do not put stuffs of tactical on rifle Kalashnikov" as it floated on by.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It was a satellite who self identifies as a meteorite.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Was it Sandra Bullock?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skylab.
View Quote

Still?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]

My wife flew her broom too high?  I'll check and see if she's home when I get there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meteors happen.
View Quote

Saw a large one (meteorite) right at daylight one time.
The debris trail blowing off in the early morning
azul and was certainly something a little bit different.
I'm almost sure at least part of it reached the ground in tact.
Like..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Still?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skylab.

Still?

#skylabmatters
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Watched one like that in the mid nineties, visible for 7 or 8 minutes

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top