Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the movie. It is also one of the best movies based on a book I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I am Jack's complete lack of suprise.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]

The theme of Jack's unrequited man crush on Tyler seemed to come through pretty clearly in the movie, and it's just about spelled out in the book. It's not exactly gay, but homoerotic seems like an accurate way to describe it. One (rather reactionary) way to read the final scene, where Jack shoots Tyler, is as a repudiation of his adolescent crush in favor of mature heterosexuality with Marla.

I didn't read the book, but I got the impression from the movie that Jack wanted to be Tyler, not suck him off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fight Club is such an incredibly gay movie.  Gay as in homoerotic, not lame.

The book is even more so-the author is gay.  Great book and movie though.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think the author was trying to make it homo-erotic as much as he was trying to make some people uncomfortable. His writing attempts to keep people on edge. I dont think Chuck wants his readers to feel comfortable with his work. I tend to doubt that movie would even be released today. With the exception of V is for Vendetta you dont see movies being released that the ignorent could argue advocate terrorism.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont think the author was trying to make it homo-erotic as much as he was trying to make some people uncomfortable. His writing attempts to keep people on edge.

That's for damn sure.  While I love his books, a few of them have made my stomach churn to the point where I had to put it down or skip the rest of the chapter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try reading Fight Club.

I fucking love Chuck Palahniuk.  I am so hooked on his stuff.

He's from seattle or lives here.  He is accepting letters right now and will respond (hand written) to ALL letters he gets for a period.

Have you read "choke?"   I thought that was a great book.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought Choke and Lullaby were both incredible.  There's another one out that I can't remember right now......Playboy published excerpts from it, or maybe it was a short story...........the main character ends up in a hospital after sitting on the intake jets in a pool while he....ummm never mind ya just need to read it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought Choke and Lullaby were both incredible.  There's another one out that I can't remember right now......Playboy published excerpts from it, or maybe it was a short story...........the main character ends up in a hospital after sitting on the intake jets in a pool while he....ummm never mind ya just need to read it.

Someone forwarded me that story in an e-mail a couple of years ago.  
Pool jets+Intestines=
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone forwarded me that story in an e-mail a couple of years ago.  
Pool jets+Intestines=

It's the first story in "Haunted", which I just finished reading.  That chapter is one that I have to skip since it makes me ill, but the book as a whole was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The book was better.

eta: Covered already. I've got all of Chuck's books. Dude is messed up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I dunno. I liked the movie and didnt see any "gayness" it it. I just saw a lot of Fucking of Helena carter. . But some of the stuff in there was basically untrue and lead a lot of morons to do stupid shit in real life. Like i heard a lot of people tried to start their own fight clubs? A lot of people ended up getting hurt because they are stupid and cant seem to seperate a story from reality. Then there was this case where a guy wanted to "pick a fight" with people and tape it, just like when they were supposed to try and get into a fight with a total stranger for a week and in the book people were all chickenshit. In real life it didnt work out so well for the idiot who tried that. This guy and his chick were walking down the street and the guy out of the blue said "hey dude your girlfriends a pig" (i guess he was thinking the guy would run away like in that movie or something?) "blammo" caught right on tape, the guy ended up in the hospital. then people would say things like 'come on hit me in the face' at parties when they were drunk and get knocked out or lose teeth. For what? a movie? so stupid. The good thing is a lot of that stupidness was caught on tape and you can see it on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The theme of Jack's unrequited man crush on Tyler seemed to come through pretty clearly in the movie, and it's just about spelled out in the book. It's not exactly gay, but homoerotic seems like an accurate way to describe it. One (rather reactionary) way to read the final scene, where Jack shoots Tyler, is as a repudiation of his adolescent crush in favor of mature heterosexuality with Marla.

I didn't read the book, but I got the impression from the movie that Jack wanted to be Tyler, not suck him off.

Edward Norton's character never had a name.  "Jack" was from a book they found in the abandoned building.  Tyler Durden is The Main Character's alter ego and a figment of his imagination, and a plot device for him to express and project his thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I always thought the choice of guns to name was interesting

If I were you, I'd be very careful who you show that to. Because the person that wrote that is dangerous. And you never know when this button-down Oxford cloth psycho might come to work with an armalite ar-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon stocking from office to office pumping round after around into co-workers. It could be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Why did I KNOW - JUST KNOW that someone from ARFCOM would know this line BY HEART?

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edward Norton's character never had a name.  "Jack" was from a book they found in the abandoned building.  Tyler Durden is The Main Character's alter ego and a figment of his imagination, and a plot device for him to express and project his thoughts.

Thank you - some of you guys are wrapped a little too tight. Key phrase: alter ego.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were you, I'd be very careful who you show that to. Because the person that wrote that is dangerous. And you never know when this button-down Oxford cloth psycho might come to work with an armalite ar-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon stocking from office to office pumping round after around into co-workers. It could be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Why did I KNOW - JUST KNOW that someone from ARFCOM would know this line BY HEART?

As I stated above, I'm quite a fan of the movie. Ironically, however, it was only weeks after I purchased my AR-10 carbine that I remembered that line.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try reading Fight Club.

He's from seattle or lives here.  He is accepting letters right now and will respond (hand written) to ALL letters he gets for a period.

He lives here, in Portland, Oregon.  Lake Oswego, specifically.  

BTW:  That fuckhead Danny Glover lives in Lake Oswego too...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Thing is, the narrator had two personalities. He had his pussy self, and his macho self, Tyler. The movie is about him finding a middle ground.

Thats my take.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try reading Fight Club.

He lives here, in Portland, Oregon.  Lake Oswego, specifically.  

BTW:  That fuckhead Danny Glover lives in Lake Oswego too...

Woops.  On a radio show here in seattle, I heard them call him a "local" writer.   I guess that meant the pac NW.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I am Jack's colon, I get Cancer, I kill Jack.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"Why did you do it?""

"I felt like destroying something beautiful."

CJ

best movie quote ever
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to google to get the full thing
I was remembering it as "semi automatic gas powered armalite ar 10"
close enough for a quick google search to find the right one
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
what a frigged-up great movie

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
For me it was one of the rare movies that was better than the book.

And it was very inspirational to some people. I know fight clubs started after the book & more after the movie. I didn't see Visa & Mastercard blown up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For me it was one of the rare movies that was better than the book.

And it was very inspirational to some people. I know fight clubs started after the book & more after the movie. I didn't see Visa & Mastercard blown up.

I didn't see that until September 11, 2001. I have a feeling our Muzzie friends may have seen that part of the movie and went, ""

Punk bitches. Hope they're rotting in Hell.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I didn't see that until September 11, 2001. I have a feeling our Muzzie friends may have seen that part of the movie and went, ""

Most radical Muslims wouldn't make it through the film.

Also, most radical Muslims won't watch movies.

ETA: WTF? Why is this post in front of the one I quoted?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most radical Muslims wouldn't make it through the film.

Also, most radical Muslims won't watch movies.

Uh-oh, I think you broke arfcom.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

probably something with the time change
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#30]
It was a mind-fuck movie and I enjoyed it, but it was too sadistic for me to watch it again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Good movie. While a lot of people embraced the ass kicking and catch phrases, I thought it was a pretty good social commentary. Actually I've always considered it to be "Office Space" done another way - when I tell people that I usually get a look, though.

+10000000000

Been a long time since I had one of those, "Yes!  That's it!" moments on the internet.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Great movie, had me thinking "what is the point of life" for a minute. Then I realized there was no point and went to work.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#33]
For the other Palahniuk fans out there, "Stranger than Fiction: True Stories" is very good as well.  Some places won't have it next to the rest of his work on the fiction shelf.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top