BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
go check out  androidforums .com   and     xda-developers.com you can find answers to all your questions

I have been poking around there but have not had much luck..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's my input on a few things:

First - contacts and apps and stuff, yo.   USE A GOOGLE/GMAIL account!  I had a GMail account long before Android came out, so it was natural to just use it.  Contacts and apps are somewhat backed up that way.  At least the contacts are fully synced over the air automatically.  When you load up a new ROM or do a factory reset of your device, you are asked to sign in to your Google account, then it asks if you want to use it to back up your data.  I can't remember exactly what it says, but it is something to that affect.  Then when you switch to another ROM and sign into your Google account, it doesn't really restore everything exactly as you had it, but it does reinstall the applications you had installed.  At least mostly.  I've noticed a couple things missing, but most of my apps get restored.  

Again, while the apps get restored, the data and settings do not.  I haven't really messed around with Ti Backup to try to restore app data/settings yet.

As far as connecting to the ARFCOM mail server, I don't know what the settings are because I don't use it.  I would guess it's a simple POP3 setup, but it may actually use IMAP.  You'd have to dig around and see if there's a Silver/Gold member FAQ.  The settings should be the same on your phone as if you were setting up a client on your desktop computer... so I'd assume that information is out there on ARFCOM somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
FromThis link.

PC Client Setup Information:
POP3 (inbound mail) Server: mail.ar15.com
SMTP (outbound mail) Server: mail.ar15.com

I entered that in and it worked with the old ROM but not liberty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FromThis link.

PC Client Setup Information:
POP3 (inbound mail) Server: mail.ar15.com
SMTP (outbound mail) Server: mail.ar15.com

I entered that in and it worked with the old ROM but not liberty.

Got hotmail to work but ar15 email is still a no go...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I went ahead and made a Nandroid of my stock/rooted ROM tonight and then installed Liberty 1.5.  Runs fast and smooth, of course.  Only thing I dislike is that it uses the basic Android camera app, which doesn't shoot in full landscape.  I was hoping they'd update that in 1.5.   I then installed the current Apex ROM and poked around on it for a bit, but said fuck it and went back to my stock ROM.   Restoring from a Nandroid is easy as pie.  

I hope the Nook Color developers get it to be this easy!

Matt_Q, if you go into the Liberty Tool Box->App Management->Install Addons you can install the blur version of the camera, as well as other apps you may miss from blur.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well at some point I lost service on my phone, no calls or texts in or out. Even after I added a few contacts back onto the phone manually they dissapeared again. I managed to unroot and get back to my old phone, all of my contacts and apps were there except for the bloatware which I guess was deleted when I installed Rubix.
Now am I going to have a problem for the next ota since the bloatware is gone. I didn't mean to delete it but, it turns out Chuck Norris mode was automatically checked and I guess that deleted it on it's own.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinda on the rooting topic  do I need to root the phone to uninstall factory-loaded crapware?  My new optimus came with "where?", it's pounding my battery and uninstall is grayed out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Kinda on the rooting topic  do I need to root the phone to uninstall factory-loaded crapware?  My new optimus came with "where?", it's pounding my battery and uninstall is grayed out.

Generally, yes. But research alot before you do anything because uninstalling certain factory apps can permanently break things like WIFI and radio.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well at some point I lost service on my phone, no calls or texts in or out. Even after I added a few contacts back onto the phone manually they dissapeared again. I managed to unroot and get back to my old phone, all of my contacts and apps were there except for the bloatware which I guess was deleted when I installed Rubix.

Now am I going to have a problem for the next ota since the bloatware is gone. I didn't mean to delete it but, it turns out Chuck Norris mode was automatically checked and I guess that deleted it on it's own.    

Oops.

Better reflash with the default image.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops.

Would you mind going into a little more detail on that.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally, yes. But research alot before you do anything because uninstalling certain factory apps can permanently break things like WIFI and radio.

This is why I recommend rooting and using Titanium Backup even if you don't run other ROMs.   Ti Backup lets you 'freeze' the bloatware and other apps.  Then come time for an OTA update, you unfreeze and update.  You'll of course then have to make sure that you can root the new firmware, otherwise the bloatware would stay.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops.

Shut off the phone.

Hold the HOME button while you power on.  Keep holding the home button until you see the ! in the triangle.  Let it up, then hit the Search button.  You'll then have the stock recovery menu.  Nuke and pave.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I recommend rooting and using Titanium Backup even if you don't run other ROMs.   Ti Backup lets you 'freeze' the bloatware and other apps.  Then come time for an OTA update, you unfreeze and update.  You'll of course then have to make sure that you can root the new firmware, otherwise the bloatware would stay.

Looks cool, I may do it.  I can't see for sure on their website, will either the free or paid version let me use the phone as a WiFi hot spot?

Edit:  Nevermind, just found this.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops.

Shut off the phone.

Hold the HOME button while you power on.  Keep holding the home button until you see the ! in the triangle.  Let it up, then hit the Search button.  You'll then have the stock recovery menu.  Nuke and pave.
Will I still have my apps, contacts and settings or will everything be wiped out?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top