Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Prayers sent for all those poor souls in that area.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good lord.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Smitty and hats off for your work.  A solemn reminder the power of nature and how lucky some of us truly are.

Yes.  Very much so.  Makes me feel awful for the times I complained about what we went through due to Ike.  NOTHING in comparison to this.  Our home and things were damaged but we still HAD a home.  

This.
Those poor people have NOTHING.
Damn...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
What incredible destruction.  Prayers for those who died and those who lost everything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh man...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
that is Unbelievable , i think i have been in 110mph wind but that is insane .

good luck and thanks for posting the pics .

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats how I imagine the end of the world will look.

I'm thankful none of my family were hurt and hope for the best for everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got back from Huntsville - no power expected for several days yet, the few gas stations open have 2-3 hour waiting times. Neighbor who lives behind me came over, he's a retired USMC E8, a friend of a relative is AD USMC in Afghanistan and on his way home on  emergency leave because both his parents were killed in Tuscaloosa. The funeral is Monday and  his dress blues were lost along with everything else. I found him a set through a good friend who also is a JROTC instructor of a USMC unit. Really shitty situation overall.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Smitty, thanks for the pics and more importantly, the help you are giving over there. Get some rest friend, you need it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Truly sad event.  

It looks like it picked everything up off the ground, swirled it around like a blender and dropped it back down on the ground.

Thanks for posting those pictures.  They really put into perspective the level of devastation there.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't care how many times I see it, it's always mind-numbing to see the kind of damage these monsters can do, literally in seconds.

Stay safe down there. The real work has only just begun and there's plenty of opportunity for injury with so much debris laying around.

My heart goes out to everyone in the affected areas, especially to those who have lost loved ones.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My home was hit by an F-5 tornado when I was a teenager, so I can definitely sympathize with everyone affected by this. If I lived closer, i'd be jumping to help where I could.  Absolutely horrible seeing the death toll continue to rise.

Same here, but it was an F4 and a VERY close miss.

If I were closer, I'd be there in a second. Community help was invaluable after our experience and it really made me a believer in the good side of human nature.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at those pics literally breaks my heart.

I've seen lots of cars wrapped around poles, trees, etc. but that is incredible! That car at some point had taken a real hard impact on the opposite side also.

I wish I could just load up a week's worth of food and water and a sleeping bag and go down there somewhere and try to be helpfull without getting in the way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate the comments guys. I think we are headed back out there this evening.

Bama, I have not been out toward the FOP range, but a buddy said all their phones are down, so I'm not sure yet.

To the poster asking about first aid supplies:

Bandages –– lots of cuts and open wounds, alot of flying glass. Quick Clot would be nice if you could get it.

Splints –– lots of broken bones. lots of twisted ankles etc, from walking around in the rubble

Water–– self explanatory.

Maybe some kind of LOUD noisemaker that doesn't require batteries. –– if you are trapped in the rubble, you need some way to let rescuers know you are there. (most cell phones werent working.)

Will post more updates in the morning.

-Tim

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]
wow is all i got
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

<snip

Maybe some kind of LOUD noisemaker that doesn't require batteries. –– if you are trapped in the rubble, you need some way to let rescuers know you are there. (most cell phones werent working.)

<snip>

-Tim
I keep a whistle in my storm shelter precisely for that purpose.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top