Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never been called.

What am I doing something right/wrong?

No idea. I've been called 2-3x a year since I was 18 and registered to vote.

Never been chosen to be on a jury.

I'm 33 and have been called twice and those were in the same year. Both times I called in the Friday before and my number I was assigned wasn't needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hate going to jury duty, today wasn't so bad, and has kind of changed my mind on jury duty itself.

It was supposed to start at 9, but of course with the wheeling and dealing going on, it didn't. But, I sat on the "good looking women row" so it wasn't that bad.

9:20 The Judge comes in and says that he's got some good, great, and even greater news. He then goes on to say what a good turnout for jury duty, and how they usually have half of what was there this morning. Then he said he had a little 2 min sermon/speech for us, "just because I can." He said that the case was settled, no jury duty today. He then went on to say that "While jury duty is mandatory, and I threatened you with jail time if you didn't show up, we are only asking you to come in for a few hours, and give the defendant his or her Constitutional right to a fair trial. it's not like we're asking you to go to Afghanistan to do it. So, next time you hear someone complain about jury duty, and their excuses to get out of it; you think about some of the sacrifices some of them(referring to soldiers, marines, airmen, ect in theater) are making, and compare that to the little inconvenience of jury duty. I know if one of them(referring to soldiers, marines, airmen, ect) were sitting in this chair(points to defendants chair), they would want their Constitutional right to a fair trial with fair people." He said to "set them straight."  He then went on to say that since we showed up, we are exempt from jury duty for the calendar year, and that I will get a whopping $14 check for my time.

I thought he was pretty cool. Usually, just the clerk of court comes in and tells everyone they can go, no trial today. But the Judge came in and introduced himself and thanked everyone for showing up, did his 2 min speech and then held the door and shook everyone's hand when they left.

So I got to see some nice eye candy, hear a Judge give a good little speech, got paid 14 bucks, and got a paid day off from work. Not too bad.

Why

Twelve People Who Cannot Get Out Of Jury Duty Are Not My Peers

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I had to pass on an out of state job with a new employer a few months ago because of jury duty.

The prosecutor came into court at about 9:05 and told us that the case had been pled out and we could go home.

I don't know about Texas but around here you can get you service date changed just by asking.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top