Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Lemmy is not the best bass player. Lemmy is God.

Everything in this world is a Motorhead ripoff, including Elvis.

I preferred him when he was in Hawkwind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Bass players anchor the song.

Michael Anthony gets my vote.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cliff Burton is teh best

And so is Newsted (okay, he's a good pickstyle bassist at least)

Claypool is good, Flea is good, there are really lots of good ones.

But Cliff is to bass what Jimi is to guitar
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I play the bass, I hang out with bassists, the most technically proficient, innovative player (who's gotten wide distribution) on the planet  is Les Claypool. That said, a lot of Primus stuff doesn't do anything for me, some of it does.

Best is harder to define.

The "Best" bass player is probably some guy none of us have ever heard of, who plays alone, and makes the bass the whole thing.

I know a couple guys like that, they're outstanding musicians.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Not one mention of Trey Gunn??  He played with King Crimson.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Marcus Miller and Francis "Rocco" Prestia had a profound effect on my bass playing......

Kinda makes me want to start playing again...it's been two years since I've played a bass guitar
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
While Bootsy was funky.........

He is even more funky.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A huge +1 on Chris Squire.  A real genius.

Quoted:
1 vote for:

Chris Squire (YES)

ETA from the YES website:

The Rickenbacker 4001 is the hallmark of Chris Squire's career and bass sound. He purchased the model 1999 bass (serial number DC127) in 1965 while an employee of Boosey and Hawkes, LTD, a musical instrument retail business. It was the fourth bass of its kind to be imported into England (Rickenbacker is an American guitar manufacturer). Allegedly, the first three had pedigrees themselves, as Chris remembers, "Entwistle had one, the guy in the Kinks [Pete Quaife] had one, and Donovan had one."

He has used the same bass ever since, through his stint with the Syn, Mable Greer's Toyshop and throughout his recordings and performances with Yes.

Here is mine! Its actually a 4003! I met Chris Squire back in 92 when he was doing the Chris Squire Experiment! Good golly that bass had an awesome tone
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Berry Oakley was pretty good

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<Snip>

He is even more funky.

Without question some of the most powerful hair in the history of popular music.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#13]
There are so many great ones....many have been influences on me.
But they are all different, so I think its hard to compare.
Among them:

John Entwistle - incredible in "The Real Me"

Chris Squire - just as incredible in "Tempst Fugit"

John Paul Jones

Jaco Pastorious

Stanley Clarke

not mentioned yet - Jack Bruce - IMHO he really helped fill out the sound of Cream.

No laughing, but even Sir Paul McCartney.

Flame away, but they are all great and have made their own marks.
I also have a Rick 4001.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#14]
"Best" Bass Player polls are like best guitar player polls. Worthless. People can list their favorites. They can list the players who influenced themselves and others greatly, but there is NO "best".

I respect many of the players mentioned here. My favorite bass player has always been Geddy Lee. The stuff he does fits Rush's music to a "T". His bass playing is "busy", but both holds down the bottom and adds to Rush's music greatly. I'm a lead guitar player, but many times I've thought about selling all my gear, buying a nice bass rig and just learning all of Geddy's stuff. He keeps it technically very challenging, but still does such a great job of holding it all down.

Guys like Billy Sheehan should have been guitar players. When he's playing in a band it's like there's no bass player. Maybe any band he's in should hire an extra bass player to actually PLAY BASS while he noodles around in the higher registers...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

not mentioned yet - Jack Bruce - IMHO he really helped fill out the sound of Cream.

His playing was insane in "Crossroads."

As for the original post;

RIP, Ox.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
wrong wrong wrong

LONG LIVE BUCKETHEAD!

Buckethead tearing it up

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
you better check again.  He plays both.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wrong wrong wrong

LONG LIVE BUCKETHEAD!

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/200px-Buckethead.jpg

Buckethead tearing it up

He's a guitar player... Not bass

I think VTwin was just dying to post a pic of Buckethead no matter what music-related thread it was in.

BTW... there are those who think that "Buckethead" is really Paul Gilbert. He's certainly wacky enough to do something like that...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I submit to you Peter Steele.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARN29cPv0VM
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#22]
buckethead rules!!! who the f*ck is he?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
buckethead rules!!! who the f*ck is he?

A very demented, but technically capable guitar player.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The best bassists are the ones you don't notice. They serve the song, instead of dance on it. Bass as a solo instrument is like garnish as a main dish. Only garnish fans appreciate it.

Entwistle was a very good utilitarian bassist, even when showing his chops. He played within the structure of the song, making it better.

That's a good bassist. Best? Dunno, but he was a great musician.

The two guys from Ned's Atomic Dustbin were pretty damn cool IMHO - having two bass players and that forming the nucleus of a band's sound was something really rare in the music world, totally unique.

+1

Check out Lightning Bolt and Big Business.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Not saying he's the best but Dave Schools of Widespread Panic is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Swingset has has it right on the money, except that if you are a bassist you will definately notice them- that is if you are a bassist on the right track.

There are a lot of great bassists out there, I don't think picking a best one is even possible.  Bass does not have the wide range that some other instruments do.

Eh.... WHAT???

In a traditional band, the bass is pretty limited sonically, it doesn't occupy much of the audio spectrum....and that's its function (one I happen to find pleasing). It fills the bottom end of the music, provides the movement between percussion and lead instruments/vocals.

In one sense, that's another problem I have with lead bass players....when you venture onto the upper neck on the skinny strings to noodle around, you've left the bottom of the audio out, and you're now competing with the lower registers of piano and guitar. You're playing in the wrong garden. So, you four-stringers, stay down there around 100-200hz where you belong, and don't piss with my A string!!!

A * GOOD * rhythm guitar (or keyboard) player will drop down and cover for his bassist when he leaves the reservation...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#27]
None of the players listed is even FIT to carry Gene Simmon's jock....

...cause its like 75 pounds of cast lead, and covered with fake blood, & stuff....
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In a traditional band, the bass is pretty limited sonically, it doesn't occupy much of the audio spectrum....and that's its function (one I happen to find pleasing). It fills the bottom end of the music, provides the movement between percussion and lead instruments/vocals.

In one sense, that's another problem I have with lead bass players....when you venture onto the upper neck on the skinny strings to noodle around, you've left the bottom of the audio out, and you're now competing with the lower registers of piano and guitar. You're playing in the wrong garden. So, you four-stringers, stay down there around 100-200hz where you belong, and don't piss with my A string!!!

I'm gonna have to go with swingset on this one. And what's up with these 5 and 6-string basses for the past few decades? Four is one or two strings too many for a bass guitar! I'm thinking that a good two-string bass would keep things where they should be.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
None of the players listed is even FIT to carry Gene Simmon's jock....

...cause its like 75 pounds of cast lead, and covered with fake blood, & stuff....

Did Gene play bass? I though that he just fondled an axe with strings on it while spitting blood and fire... that, and run his used-car-salesman-televangelist mouth to sell-out everything he can.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In one sense, that's another problem I have with lead bass players....when you venture onto the upper neck on the skinny strings to noodle around, you've left the bottom of the audio out, and you're now competing with the lower registers of piano and guitar.
You're want to vote you're playing in the wrong garden. So, you four-stringers, stay down there around 100-200hz where you belong, and don't piss (standing up) with my A string!!!

I'm gonna have to go with swingset on this one. And what's up with these 5 and 6-string basses women for the past few decades? Four is one or two strings rights  too many for a bass guitar women! I'm thinking that a good two-string bass not voting would keep things where they should be.

You guys sound like you're talking about women's suffrage!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#31]
No love for Dee Dee on the site?

Larry
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Puts on best show!

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A * GOOD * rhythm guitar (or keyboard) player will drop down and cover for his bassist when he leaves the reservation...

But can he groove?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna have to go with swingset on this one. And what's up with these 5 and 6-string basses women for the past few decades? Four is one or two strings too many for a bass guitar! I'm thinking that a good two-string bass not voting would keep things where they should be.

You guys sound like you're talking about women's suffrage!

That's right. What is up with these bass players crawling-out from under their rocks anyways? They remind me of the Geico caveman commericals where the cavemen don't understand why they are treated differently in society. drummers+bass players = cavemen. But they are the foundation that enables the musicians in the band to step-up and make music. LOL...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I am the greatest all time!!!!  BWAH HA HA HA!!!!

I keed I keed....

Here ya have me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/rocknroll1-1.jpg

Good one man!

Thanks.

I was told that quote by this chick....Aimee Allen.  Met her a long time ago.

Even got a pic of her biting my nipple ring.  I'll see if I can scan that pic  And she signed a dollar bill stating "Thanks for last night"

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Ha....found it....flame suit on

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Steve Harris is it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Larry

who?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

who?

Youngsters, these days.  Sad, it is.

Dee Dee, the bassist for the Ramones.  Three-chord rock&roll at its finest.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#43]
haha, i thought you were talking about dee dee ramone. i just didnt think someone would bring him up in a best bass player thread. i also thought you could have been talking about d.d. verni from overkill.

ETA the ramones kick ass
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Back on topic,

RIP, Ox.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top