Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/18/2013 10:04:52 AM EDT
Love my Land Rover, but as you know, tons of $$ when things break, and with a Rover, that's all the time.

Looking to upgrade to a slightly larger SUV with third row seating for the kids. I see with the Unlimited there are after market 3rd row seats, which sound great.

Basically looking to see your guys thoughts on this. Anybody own one or know somebody who does?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been pondering the same question.

My little AMG is not exactly the best car when hauling a baby around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
As a jeep owner, don't get it for daily driving. They don't do any one thing great, other than offroading. Wind noise is horrible, the ride is horrible, they are expensive, handling isn't all that great. Just my opinion though. There will be many others that come along and tell me I'm full of shit and everyone should be so lucky to drive one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't put kids in an aftermarket 3rd row in a Wrangler. They'd be right in the crush zone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I work from home, so it's really the towing the camper/boat out of town vehicle. Have a crap box Ranger and a Honda we'll use around town.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my two door, and I have a lot of friends with unlimiteds.    That being said, a third row is going to be cramped.

I have a 2011 wrangler for myself and short trips, the wife had a 2012 explorer we take on longer trips.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My good friend bought a Rubicon Unlimited for various reason, being cool was amongst those reasons.

It lived in his driveway for about 4 months, enough time to buy the tube steel doors, lift kit, rims, and fender flares.

It made it as far as Sheridan and Denver twice, and he sold it shortly thereafter.  the wife and kids would fit, but nothing else would, and it wouldn't tow shit effectively.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I work from home, so it's really the towing the camper/boat out of town vehicle. Have a crap box Ranger and a Honda we'll use around town.

Doesn't tow anything worth a damn. The sway is pretty bad if you put any sort of weight behind it and the gas mileage goes to single digits.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My good friend bought a Rubicon Unlimited for various reason, being cool was amongst those reasons.

It lived in his driveway for about 4 months, enough time to buy the tube steel doors, lift kit, rims, and fender flares.

It made it as far as Sheridan and Denver twice, and he sold it shortly thereafter.  the wife and kids would fit, but nothing else would, and it wouldn't tow shit effectively.

Long trips and towing are not what they are designed for.     They will do it, but not well.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like mine.  The wife has a two-door Jeep and I fell in love with it.  Wanted my own but I have to carry clients around a good bit and needed convenient full seating with four-doors.  The Unlimited doesn't have the turn radius as the two door but it has given me no issues off road and clients complement the vehicle all the time.  The newer Unlimited models have fold flat rear seats as well which helps in hauling stuff around.

ETA - The wind noise is not an issue unless there is a storm blowing up.  Not sure what they changed but the noise in my 2012 model is much less than the wife's 2008 model.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Long trips and towing are not what they are designed for.     They will do it, but not well.

Yep...and everything is a long trip along with towing in WY.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay, thanks, this is what I was looking for. Sounds like a bad tower.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Love mine. Hardtop is great at reducing wind/road noise and in the winter as well.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one with 160,000 miles on it. Bought it new in 2007. The old engine has been reliable. Horrible on gas. Front axle came apart on my on the interstate during a death wobble. I see around 14-16 mpg. My airplane is cheaper to fly than the Wrangler is to drive. No kidding. Pull the doors off and drop the top and you'll love it. The new ones supposedly get much better gas mileage and have 100HP more, which makes a huge difference. I would buy one again if I had the money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a Toyota 4runner!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a jeep owner, don't get it for daily driving. They don't do anything one thing great, other than offroading. Wind noise is horrible, the ride is horrible, they are expensive, handling isn't all that great. Just my opinion though. There will be many others that come along and tell me I'm full of shit and everyone should be so lucky to drive one.

TJ owner and I agree with everything you've stated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of Rover?

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a jeep owner, don't get it for daily driving. They don't do anything one thing great, other than offroading. Wind noise is horrible, the ride is horrible, they are expensive, handling isn't all that great. Just my opinion though. There will be many others that come along and tell me I'm full of shit and everyone should be so lucky to drive one.

The JKs are pretty nice.    Wind noise is not bad, handling is good, but they are not great for long trips, or towing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get a Toyota 4runner!

Forgot about 4 runners...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The recent ones with the pentastar engine are a leap ahead of prior models for towing. You want 2012-13 with the 3.6L, not earlier with the 3.8L. And the whole JK series is a massive improvement in terms of comfort and driving over earlier models like a TJ.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The recent ones with the pentastar engine are a leap ahead of prior models for towing. You want 2012-13 with the 3.6L, not earlier with the 3.8L. And the whole JK series is a massive improvement in terms of comfort and driving over earlier models like a TJ.

Did not know that. Only towing 2,000 pounds, so...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not know that. Only towing 2,000 pounds, so...

JK is 2000 lb towing, while the JK Unlimited is 3500 lb. The early 2012 engines had a head issue, but that issue has been addressed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#22]
2000 lbs should be fine.    They are rated at 1000lbs standard, 3500lbs max.

Get the factory tow package if you get a sport, it will give you a lower gear ratio.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JKs are pretty nice.    Wind noise is not bad, handling is good, but they are not great for long trips, or towing.

JKs are minivans that kind of look like a Jeep
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#24]
They are the most capable off road factory vehicle. (If you get the rubicon with lockers and axles)

They are also loud.

The interiors are pretty bare.

They sort of have a cool factor, but most people don't even know how to use 4wd.

Personally I will buy one in a couple of years, but I am an avid rock crawler and will use it.  If I wasn't going to take it offroad, I would buy something else.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#26]
wranglers, lol.

they are ok for simple tooling, but the drive train is weak.

We have been replacing complete front and rear axle housings.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine has gone everywhere I wanted to go.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Get the Rubicon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#29]
buy a used 2010 Jeep Commander, Iove mine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Get a tahoe and put on a little lift, better tires and your set, way more comfortable and so much better for long drives. Jeeps are bachelor cars for those who dont drive much, but I do love them.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I love mine. I do some offroading, but it's my daily and I have no issues.

I ill say the soft top is loud, but I like to drive it top down anyways...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine has gone everywhere I wanted to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEa8Bxivg4

I should have posted a little to show I was joking.  I looked long and hard a JK Rubicon but in the end I wanted the straight 6 motor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I really like mine.  The wife has a two-door Jeep and I fell in love with it.  Wanted my own but I have to carry clients around a good bit and needed convenient full seating with four-doors.  The Unlimited doesn't have the turn radius as the two door but it has given me no issues off road and clients complement the vehicle all the time.  The newer Unlimited models have fold flat rear seats as well which helps in hauling stuff around.

ETA - The wind noise is not an issue unless there is a storm blowing up.  Not sure what they changed but the noise in my 2012 model is much less than the wife's 2008 model.

My 2012 is freaking quiet, with a soft top, compared to my '03.

What I noticed...they extended the front lip of the windshield UP, so that the lip of the soft top is behind it. Not sure when that change took place, but it makes a world of difference in wind noise.

And to OP...do love mine. Ride is smooth (I have a JKU Rubicon), even my parents commented how smooth it rode in comparison to their Expedition. Handling...it's got two solid axles and a suspension tuned for mostly off road...yeah...it rolls a good bit in turns. Aftermarket solutions out there for that if you want to spend the money (AEV is great for that).

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a previous TJ owner, now JKUR owner...I completely disagree. Can't compare a TJ to the JKU...especially the new ones.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#35]
It's limited.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I've owned Jeeps since 1986; one FSJ, a CJ7 and two JK Wranglers. There is no comparison between the JK and previous Wranglers. The JK Rubicon is the most capable Jeep ever built. Period.

Let me repeat that...

The JK Rubicon is the most capable Jeep ever built. Period.

I have had a Wrangler as a daily driver for more than two decades. I'm currently driving a 2013 Wrangler Rubicon and the Pentastar engine is far superior to any 4.0l ever produced, gets acceptable fuel economy (average of 16.15 over the last 217 gallons of fuel), and it is ever bit as comfortable to ride in as my wife's Touareg. It accelerates strongly too, with 0 to 60 numbers in the 7 to 8 second range.

While the Touareg is an excellent vehicle, and it is what we use for long haul travel and pulling the boat around (it is a TDI and rated for 7,900 pounds with 790 pounds tongue weight), and it has locking differentials too, the top doesn't come off.... and that topless feeling is a big factor for the draw of a Wrangler.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I have 08 Sahara. One of the best off roaders I've driven. Goes like a tank in the snow. Its amazing on the beaches down at OBX.

However, I wouldn't be looking at a Wrangler 2 or 4 door as a normal "Family" vehicle. It doesn't have a ton of room. Gets meh gas mileage and doesn't have the wheel base to tow anything. IF you get one with a hard top they are plenty quiet but they still aren't the same as a normal SUV, I don't think they were built to be honestly. The truth is you won't find another vehicle as versatile. Its hard to compare anything to it where the roof isn't removable.

Its just a Regular Jeep with more seats. Lots of folks love em, lots of folks don't. Just don't go test drive a 4 runner and compare it to a 4 door Wrangler. They are 2 completely different vehicles, you're either looking for one type or the other.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Gotta love the folks that cannot read the thread titles, OP wanted to know about he Unlimited, not whatever the fuck you think he should drive instead.

OP my brother has had an Unlimited for three years now and loves the hell out of it. Daily driver, towing a wave runner or off roading, mudding.

He likes it so much it is the reason I am getting my wife one through AAFES.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Just got this one 3 weeks ago..  

Dad has a 2010 unlimited 4d    I drove it a few times.  It really isn't a bad daily driver.    I would stay with a 12 or newer, the 3.6 considerably outperforms the 3.8.    There is some wind noise even with the hard top,  but it really isn't bad.  It is plenty quiet enough to hear the radio

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/bob243_photo/IMG201_zps1891613a.jpg

Dad has a 2010 unlimited 4d    I drove it a few times.  It really isn't a bad daily driver.    I would stay with a 12 or newer, the 3.6 considerably outperforms the 3.8.    There is some wind noise even with the hard top,  but it really isn't bad.  It is plenty quiet enough to hear the radio  

I hate shiney jeeps.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate shiney jeeps.  

Give it time

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

this guy gets it.  

they are not suv's they are off road vehicles that look like suv's as opposed to most suv's just look like offload vehicles.....i like the 80 series land cruisers as they are the best combination of both off road capability and suv family hauling around...really i wouldn't want to be in an unlimited for daily driving though plenty of people do....i just prefer more comforts and better on road handling since that's where i spend 70~80% of my time.....now if your simply trying to get a family fun vehicle you're heading the right direction... i just know my wife complain till no end during the winter and well most of the time in our jeep .
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is my daily driver. I've had it for 3 years and about 70k miles. I regularly drive it on road trips and to a hunting lease in Texas (an 11 hour drive).
I have 2 kids ages 11 and 6 and have no issues lugging them and all of their sports gear around town. My Jeep has never been in the shop and I do all scheduled maintenance on time.

All that being said I have modified this vehicle quite a bit to make it a better daily driver. The most important mod is the gears. I replaced the factory 3:73s with 5:13s. I felt that the factory gears were terrible for highway driving, the 5:13s are just fine.

All in all I love my Jeep and plan to continue to use it as my daily driver, I have no complaints.

YMMV.

PS...

If you hang heavy bumpers and lights on your Jeep and run 35" tires your gas mileage WILL suck.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate shiney jeeps.  

Give it time

I spend a lot of time and effort getting mine filthy, then the wife washes the damn thing when I am gone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#45]
FJ Cruiser FTW

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Did you miss your turn on the interstate and have to turn around on the side of the road?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Did you miss your turn on the interstate and have to turn around on the side of the road?  

Hahaha. Love the anti FJ crowd. Do your research. I did 4 days in death valley. Saw 1 other car. A jeep. Went on all the hairiest trails (More like goat paths). I love jeeps, especially the 4-door rubicons when done up, and I love my FJ. I can, and have taken anything a jeep can handle. A-Track is an amazing option. Mines a manual, full time 4wd. Rear locker. 4.0 v6.

Funny man.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait for the 2015 diesel Wrangler that will hopefully be coming in 2014. That's what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#50]
We have 2 of them, the Boss drives a 2011 Sport and I have a 2012 Rubicon.  I don't tow anything.  I would (and may soon) buy another one.

Bryan
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top