I just saw one of those sell for $1,100 +/-

never seen one before
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice PC 3rd gen , but I'd prefer one of these.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/terrypopkin/3566Limitedcomp.jpg
The .356 TSW was a great round on paper. What a shame the venue it was made for banned its use.

They even made it in a defensive load.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/5422154836/7141059/20abbd0c1c0bfdde35b48cd15e4d51f3.jpg

Were all the TSW guns from the Performance Center or was there a regular production gun also?

I just saw one of those sell for $1,100 +/-

never seen one before

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Local pawn shop has had a 5906TSW for a while now, they're asking $599 though
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had one back in the day , only owned it a couple of years , have to look back to see what model it was , single action was about 12 lbs. and the double first shot was nearly twice that . I remember I could never find a trigger pull gauge that went high enough . Needless to say you had to be inside the barn to actually hit the barn . One of the few guns I ever sold and don't miss it . I realize mine was one of the worst but I still find it weird that the early S&W autos have become a thing these days

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3rd gen Smiths are quickly replacing CZs as the new hipster guns.

What is hipster about a gun that is all steel construction, and competes in price with polymer framed guns?

Just because it isn't a Glock or M&P doesn't make it a "hipster gun."

Bulky, heavy, backwards slide mounted safety, DA/SA trigger...

S&W couldn't give them away so they discontinued them. Dealers and distributers were selling used ones for chump change.

Nobody wanted them a few years ago but now they're "cool" becuase they're the opposite of what's popular. Like vinyl records, Members Only jackets and PBR.

I had one back in the day , only owned it a couple of years , have to look back to see what model it was , single action was about 12 lbs. and the double first shot was nearly twice that . I remember I could never find a trigger pull gauge that went high enough . Needless to say you had to be inside the barn to actually hit the barn . One of the few guns I ever sold and don't miss it . I realize mine was one of the worst but I still find it weird that the early S&W autos have become a thing these days

Weird because every one I have has a very short reset, very light SA pull, and a very smooth DA pull around  8-10lbs.

I'm talking about my 1st Gen from 1972 to my 2001 produced 3rd Gen and everything in between.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
4006 Here!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

S&W performance shop makes it worth it!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the one I always wanted.  I've never even seen one in person and I look for one at every gunshow I go to.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is the one I always wanted.  I've never even seen one in person and I look for one at every gunshow I go to.

http://www.novaksights.com/images/GUNS/wayne's%20collection/devel/devel10-r.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
He should do speed shoot videos with matchlocks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He should do speed shoot videos with matchlocks.
View Quote
Hand Cannons

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish the 3943 had restrike capability. I would probably have to run one down if it did. I'm probably making too big a deal about that - oh well. 3913 is an interesting gun but I just prefer a consistent trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

youtu.be/4trmOFxuJw0

I WISH WISH WISH someone would start doing ASP/Devel "clone jobs" on 3913s.....  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 915, which was the base model. I wanted something like a 5906 or what not. I ended up flat out selling it and buying a 1911. I wouldn't trade the 1911, but I kinda miss the old 915. Packing a Shield now, I may need to step up to an M&P compact to finally get rid of that feeling.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wish the 3943 had restrike capability. I would probably have to run one down if it did. I'm probably making too big a deal about that - oh well. 3913 is an interesting gun but I just prefer a consistent trigger pull.
View Quote
It does, S&W never made a.compact 3rd that was SAO. All are DA/SA or DAO.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I had a 915, which was the base model. I wanted something like a 5906 or what not. I ended up flat out selling it and buying a 1911. I wouldn't trade the 1911, but I kinda miss the old 915. Packing a Shield now, I may need to step up to an M&P compact to finally get rid of that feeling.
View Quote
All M&Ps feel cheap and shitty. Stepping up won't get rid of that feeling.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn... a 3913 in SAO with a 945PC-style (frame mounted) thumb safety would be fucking awesome.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I'm understanding correctly: nope the slide must be moved a bit, trigger does not fully cock it

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 915, 3913 LS, and another third gen double stack 9mm compact I can't think of at the moment. I wish I could get a light rail onto the 915 somehow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a CS9 for awhile, but it just wasn't my thing for a carry gun. I still have my 5904 that has one of the smoothest DA pulls ,lightest SA pulls and crazy short trigger reset I've ever felt/owned on a DA/SA pistol.

I bought it used a few years ago and knew it was a cops gun the second I took it apart. Inside was almost mint with almost no wear like it was barely shot. Even the fcg parts had next to no wear. Large lint balls fell out of one of the mags when I opened it up and everything inside was crusted with dirt until I did a complete tear down, clean and relube.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't get the boners people have for these guns. they aren't that great of a gun. If steel is what you want, buy a cz.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't get the boners people have for these guns. they aren't that great of a gun. If steel is what you want, buy a cz.
View Quote

CZs would be nice if they didn't have tiny little slide serrations, but that's the nature of the design. I use the overhand method when racking a slide and the CZ serrations just don't cut it for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The 5906 was my first "real" gun. Before that I had a Makarov and a Raven .25ACP (still have the Raven). I loved the 5906, but it was a damn brick and I could really only afford 1 gun at a time. Traded it for a Glock 19 (Gen2) new. Wish I still had both.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I'm understanding correctly: nope the slide must be moved a bit, trigger does not fully cock it  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be DAO. No need to manipulate the slide.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to restrike with those you do

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a 6906 airs otf gun when I was a kid. Big piece of heavy aluminum....I'd buy the real deal if found reasonably priced
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Countless CZ copies exist because the CZ-75 had no patent protection in ComBloc Czechoslovakia. It was cheaper to clone a CZ than pay licensing fees for other designs.

They are hipster because they were relatively unknown in the US, are vintage designs, are different, and those qualities are hipster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CZ was a gun most people had not heard about, and once people learned the quality you could get for the price, their popularity boomed..  Now it is one of the most copied designs out there.

Not sure what it "hipster" about it.

Countless CZ copies exist because the CZ-75 had no patent protection in ComBloc Czechoslovakia. It was cheaper to clone a CZ than pay licensing fees for other designs.

They are hipster because they were relatively unknown in the US, are vintage designs, are different, and those qualities are hipster.

No, "hipster" means trying to be different just for the sake of being different.  

Pretty sure the reason they were relatively unknown in this country is that they weren't even allowed in this country due to them being behind the iron curtain.   They are the poor man's p210 .
Hell, some may even exceed what the p210 can do.

Whether someone wants an off the shelf gun that is reliable, durable, and extremely accurate, or a race gun that can hang with high end 1911's, there are CZ's that fit the bill.

People aren't buying them just to be different, a la "hipster."  They are buying them because they are damn good guns.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

They're very durable, dead nuts reliable, accurate, will feed anything and are easy to shoot well.  

How that makes them not great is beyond me.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, "hipster" means trying to be different just for the sake of being different.  

Pretty sure the reason they were relatively unknown in this country is that they weren't even allowed in this country due to them being behind the iron curtain.   They are the poor man's p210 .
http://www.silhouette-niedersachsen.de/WO-Forum/CZ%2075%20Sport%20II%20Schussbild.JPG
 Whether someone wants an off the shelf gun that is reliable, durable, and extremely accurate, or a race gun that can hang with high end 1911's, there are CZ's that fit the bill.

People aren't buying them just to be different, a la "hipster."  They are buying them because they are damn good guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CZ was a gun most people had not heard about, and once people learned the quality you could get for the price, their popularity boomed..  Now it is one of the most copied designs out there.

http://www.silhouette-niedersachsen.de/WO-Forum/CZ%2075%20Sport%20II%20Schussbild.JPG

Troof, you speak it. You can always tell someone who has never owned one, "hipster gun", really?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No... a DAO is a Double Action Only. The hammer never cocks and the trigger always has the long pull like that of a revolver.

Either you are waaaaay confused or you're trying to pull someone's leg.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#29]
That's a nice rare PC gun.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Sexy!

Me want soooo bad!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No... a DAO is a Double Action Only. The hammer never cocks and the trigger always has the long pull like that of a revolver.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the way DAO's nominally work. That is not true in this case. Don't believe me - this is how the guys over on the S&W forum state they work. I believe them over GD. I've owned a 3913 but not a 3943 so I have to go on some else's word - I'm going with them when they state it does not have a true restrike capability
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Does it look something like this?

Because once again.... 3rd Gen DAOs all have restrike ability. No different than any traditional DA/SA and DAO guns. Smith & Wesson did not make a compact 3rd SAO gun.

Very few guns were SAOs. The 745, 845, and 945 for examle. But those were all fullsize guns made for competitive shooting.

I even researched the model 3943 and nothing is popping up. My S&W Catalog says nothing about it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Until I  hear it from someone who has actually owned a 3943 and can tell me otherwise I am not convinced. Just saying no means nothing; still trust S&W Forums more than here on this topic.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-437314.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/81990-dao-3rd-gen-smith-how-trigger-pull.html

There are a couple of links to get you started.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I gotta go with MiamiJBT on this one.... The 3rd gen S&W guns have restrike capability.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty standard for the TSWs it seems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does it look something like this?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/3953.jpg

Because once again.... 3rd Gen DAOs all have restrike ability. No different than any traditional DA/SA and DAO guns. Smith & Wesson did not make a compact 3rd SAO gun.

Very few guns were SAOs. The 745, 845, and 945 for examle. But those were all fullsize guns made for competitive shooting.

I even researched the model 3943 and nothing is popping up. My S&W Catalog says nothing about it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61A4eP7%2B%2BpL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

View Quote

That is smexchy.  What is it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Troof, you speak it. You can always tell someone who has never owned one, "hipster gun", really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny because my first pistol was a CZ-75B, and I put several thousand rounds through it plus a couple others. No way I would pay the current prices except maybe the SP-01.

And its nowhere in the same league as a P210, they are crude compared to their competitors, they are routinely underspung from the factory, they bust slide stops, CZ's marketing department is even more shady than Glock, and people do buy them to be different.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Customized 3953 that I lust after as a project idea for my 3913.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#39]
My friend has a 6906. I love that thing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nice PC 3rd gen , but I'd prefer one of these.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/terrypopkin/3566Limitedcomp.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That is the way DAO's nominally work. That is not true in this case. Don't believe me - this is how the guys over on the S&W forum state they work. I believe them over GD. I've owned a 3913 but not a 3943 so I have to go on some else's word - I'm going with them when they state it does not have a true restrike capability
View Quote

I've got four 3rd gen S&W pistols, two are DAO, a 3953 and a 4553 TSW and two are DA/SA, a 3913 and a 1076.

The two DAO pistols do NOT have a true restrike capability.  The hammer is pre cocked.  If you pull the trigger on an empty chamber, and the hammer falls to it's fully down position, the trigger remains disconnected from the hammer, much like a Glock remains disconnected from the striker, until the slide is retracted to the point where the hammer is again on it's pre cock notch.  I carry a 3953 daily, it's sitting here as I type this.

The two DA/SA models do not have this pre cock notch.  The hammer sits in it's fully down position all the time.  My two DA/SA pistols do have a true restrike capability.  You can pull the trigger, cocking and dropping the hammer over and over again like you can a DA revolver.

I've never heard of a 3943 and it's not in my S&W catalog of that era.  I think it must have been a typo.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've got four 3rd gen S&W pistols, two are DAO, a 3953 and a 4553 TSW and two are DA/SA, a 3913 and a 1076.

The two DAO pistols do NOT have a true restrike capability.  The hammer is pre cocked.  If you pull the trigger on an empty chamber, and the hammer falls to it's fully down position, the trigger remains disconnected from the hammer, much like a Glock remains disconnected from the striker, until the slide is retracted to the point where the hammer is again on it's pre cock notch.  I carry a 3953 daily, it's sitting here as I type this.

The two DA/SA models do not have this pre cock notch.  The hammer sits in it's fully down position all the time.  My two DA/SA pistols do have a true restrike capability.  You can pull the trigger, cocking and dropping the hammer over and over again like you can a DA revolver.

I've never heard of a 3943 and it's not in my S&W catalog of that era.  I think it must have been a typo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1076 had the pre-cock notch.  When decocked with the lever it would go to half cock.  The trigger still worked when the hammer was fully down though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would probably offer them $550 and take even if they didn't accept.  I would love to have one of those.

Patrick
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're confused.  The DAO and frame mounted decockers had a half cock notch.  On the frame mounted decockers the trigger worked no matter which notch the hammer was on, fully decocked, half cock, or full cock.  On the DAOs the trigger didn't work if the hammer was fully down.  The only reason the hammer would ever be fully down on the DAOs was in the case of a dud round or empty chamber.  Seeing as the best course of action in both of those cases is to manually cycle the slide and get a fresh round into the chamber, I don't see the issue with it not having second strike capability.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's an ASP on gunbroker for $2850.  I'd prefer the Devel over the ASP, but neither one of them is exactly common.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#46]
There was a run of 3914's, maybe 3913's, made for the NYPD that were true DAO. They were not partially cocked like the other DAO guns and those particular NYPD guns did have restrike capability.  

The normal DAO guns did not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Call me a sadist, but I want a DAO version of the 4506-1
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, they are popular now because they were CHEAP and people figured out that they were actually pretty decent guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
3rd gen Smiths are quickly replacing CZs as the new hipster guns.

What is hipster about a gun that is all steel construction, and competes in price with polymer framed guns?

Just because it isn't a Glock or M&P doesn't make it a "hipster gun."

Nobody wanted them when they were in production, but they are popular now.

Yeah, they are popular now because they were CHEAP and people figured out that they were actually pretty decent guns.

This. Growing up all I ever heard in gun shops and gun rags was how crappy they were. Once the PDs started surplusing them out, I bought a bunch cheap. They are some of my favorite guns. Only one I have ever had a problem with was a 4516 that didn't have an updated ejector in it. Once I replaced that it was good to go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

youtu.be/4trmOFxuJw0

Dammit man, I'm watching that vid right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Did someone say 3rd Gen S&W 45s? Think of that Michael Jackson song "Black and White". There. Now it's stuck in your head.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top